Jump to content
jetscrazey

Today convinced me both Bowles and Maccagnan are the problem

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I don't want to interrupt you two tickling each other's scrotums with this super cool schtick you got going on. Just humor me though.  

If you were an offensive coach and were so overmatched personnel wise, would your 1st instinct be to continually ask those overmatched players to win a 1 on 1 isolated matchup against a defender?  Mine wouldn't.  

Just about every other strategy would require my offensive line to perform.  They didn't.  There's a reason we were 9-point dogs.  We had no chance.

You never answered the question, besides "scheme the guys open" what specifically is the winning offensive strategy?

Jets only chance in this game was turnovers.  We almost got one which could have made it a game, unfortunately, the Bears PR came out of his coma in the knick of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

When your receivers all are average or below average, how are they supposed to create separation? And your offensive line is average and you can’t control the game running the ball? Then what do you do? 

What you don't do, is spread them out 3 wide against man coverage all day and say go beat that guy in front of you.

Things like stacked receivers, bunch formations, motion can be used to help create natural separation for receivers.  Obviously different rout combinations as well.  The Patriots have been doing it for years.  The Patriots don't just magically get guys running wide open year after year.  Every notice how guys like Hogan weren't ever  open all the  in their previous stops?  Or how guys like Amendola aren't after they leave?

The Bears WRs today is Taylor Gabriel, Kevin White and a Rookie Anthony Miller.  They had people running open all over the place.  Luckily Trubisky can't hit the broad side of a barn.  Are those guys elite talents?  Or does Nagy know how to coach offense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Well after today's penalties and poor performance you can cut all the poor performers or you can send Bowles packing.  Easier to send Bowles packing.  Unless we are tanking on purpose, then carry on.

This is exactly my point.  Yes, it's easier to send Bowles packing, but it sure as hell isn't going to change much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Wait, is this sarcasm defending the coaches? Is that what you’re doing here?

Kinda proves they’re terrible. Move away from the run that’s not working all game and push the ball gets you a touchdown. Stick with the run for 4 qtrs and play short passing game gets you one Fg. 

You do realize that the TD was aided by the Bears generally taking their foot off the gas up two scores and still needed a stupid penalty to happen.  Any time the Bears needed to, they were in the backfield chasing Darnold.  We can all imagine how well things would go if we only think about the plays that worked and ignore literally everything else.  Unfortunately, it's not reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree,both Bowles and McCagnon have to go. This team and especially the fans need to move on from these 4 years and hopefully find a GM who can judge and draft talent, and a HC who has some semblance of in game issues. We waited 50 years for this team to find a legitimate QB and we can't be shackled by these two underachievers. They have shown in 4 years that they are in over their heads. Lets move on and make this a great team again!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What you don't do, is spread them out 3 wide against man coverage all day and say go beat that guy in front of you.

Things like stacked receivers, bunch formations, motion can be used to help create natural separation for receivers.  Obviously different rout combinations as well.  The Patriots have been doing it for years.  The Patriots don't just magically get guys running wide open year after year.  Every notice how guys like Hogan weren't ever  open all the  in their previous stops?  Or how guys like Amendola aren't after they leave?

The Bears WRs today is Taylor Gabriel, Kevin White and a Rookie Anthony Miller.  They had people running open all over the place.  Luckily Trubisky can't hit the broad side of a barn.  Are those guys elite talents?  Or does Nagy know how to coach offense?

So, a bunch of guys that never play and are limited athletically, an offensive line that was getting beat all day, and a rookie QB, are going to run an increasingly complex timing offense with success?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

I already knew I wanted Bowles gone and today confirms it, as there was absolutely zero creativity on a day when they needed to show creativity.

But today convinced me Maccagnan needs to go too.  He's in his 4th year and this is the worst roster in football.  A few injuries and they are a college team basically.  The drafting has been abyssmal.  He hasn't found good skill position players, hasn't found any pass rushers, and hasn't found any good o-linemen.

Start over with a new GM and a new, offensive-minded head coach.   We need to be competitive in this window when Darnold is on his rookie contract.

:

"new, offensive-minded head coach". Innovative, risk taker....I was very impressed by his play calling today. 

Mark Helfrich

Mark Helfrich 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GaryM said:

I agree,both Bowles and McCagnon have to go. This team and especially the fans need to move on from these 4 years and hopefully find a GM who can judge and draft talent, and a HC who has some semblance of in game issues. We waited 50 years for this team to find a legitimate QB and we can't be shackled by these two underachievers. They have shown in 4 years that they are in over their heads. Lets move on and make this a great team again!!!

You had me all the way until the “again.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, varjet said:

In response to a post that said only Mac’s first draft stunk, after Adams and Maye the 2017 draft was another catastrophe.  Lots of good players passed over.  

Adams and Maye aren't looking too hot either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What you don't do, is spread them out 3 wide against man coverage all day and say go beat that guy in front of you.

Things like stacked receivers, bunch formations, motion can be used to help create natural separation for receivers.  Obviously different rout combinations as well.  The Patriots have been doing it for years.  The Patriots don't just magically get guys running wide open year after year.  Every notice how guys like Hogan weren't ever  open all the  in their previous stops?  Or how guys like Amendola aren't after they leave?

The Bears WRs today is Taylor Gabriel, Kevin White and a Rookie Anthony Miller.  They had people running open all over the place.  Luckily Trubisky can't hit the broad side of a barn.  Are those guys elite talents?  Or does Nagy know how to coach offense?

I was waiting for someone to imply we could coach a team like Belichick coaches the Patriots. 

Notice how the Chiefs kept Andy Reid and put in a couple new pieces. Magic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

I already knew I wanted Bowles gone and today confirms it, as there was absolutely zero creativity on a day when they needed to show creativity.

But today convinced me Maccagnan needs to go too.  He's in his 4th year and this is the worst roster in football.  A few injuries and they are a college team basically.  The drafting has been abyssmal.  He hasn't found good skill position players, hasn't found any pass rushers, and hasn't found any good o-linemen.

Start over with a new GM and a new, offensive-minded head coach.   We need to be competitive in this window when Darnold is on his rookie contract.

The Buffalo Bills would like a word with you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, varjet said:

In response to a post that said only Mac’s first draft stunk, after Adams and Maye the 2017 draft was another catastrophe.  Lots of good players passed over.  

He’s hit on 33 percent of his picks. That’s not counting this year. He’s an average GM. He’s made good moves and bad moves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

I was waiting for someone to imply we could coach a team like Belichick coaches the Patriots. 

Notice how the Chiefs kept Andy Reid and put in a couple new pieces. Magic. 

Belichick doesn't coach their offense, so I am not sure what you are getting at.

I understand even less the comment about Reid?  Are you implying prior to this year, he wasn't already a phenomenal offensive coach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, varjet said:

In response to a post that said only Mac’s first draft stunk, after Adams and Maye the 2017 draft was another catastrophe.  Lots of good players passed over.  

Still don’t know why Stewart and Hansen weren’t kept. They were at least at the level of these players 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mac has drafted very poorly his first 3 drafts but his last draft seems to be very good. I’d give Mac 1 more year and let him bring in a head coach of his choice. Bowles see ya!

Hope you realize that in most jobs if you perform your duties 25% of the time you are signing for unemployment checks.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bowles has yet to win a game he really had to win, My only question on Mac is if he was overruled on Fitz and Mo or did he cave?  still probably deserves to be fired for poor draft results and passing on a QB  for Adams but Mo/Fitz contract seemed like a turning point for this regime... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bowles actually seems to be improving as a HC.   He fielded the weakest team in the NFL today and they were borderline competitive.   

macc is a total disaster.   Most of his draft picks are out of the NFL and doubling up on safeties with 2 QB’s on the board and multiple trade down opportunities should have been a fireable offense.   Stewart, Hansen, hack, burris, Smith, maudlin - wasted pick after wasted pick.   That’s why the team has no depth and is playing with scrubs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think Maccagnan has actually done a worse job than Bowles. Both are bottom third in the NFL and need to be replaced.

Exactly I’ve been saying this for 2 years.
Mac is a poor excuse for a GM. Even worse than Idzik. The guy walks around with that smug look on his face thinking he knows something the rest of us don’t.
Well I know something you don’t, you literally have zero clue on how to build a football team. Just look at your teams record and your abysmal drafting record. I know the draft is hit or miss but after 4 years you should find a few serviceable players to be backups at least.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Belichick doesn't coach their offense, so I am not sure what you are getting at.

I understand even less the comment about Reid?  Are you implying prior to this year, he wasn't already a phenomenal offensive coach?

It’s that your implication that we have anywhere near the quality of roster of the Patriots is ludicrous. And that good coaching only goes so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social
×