Is AJ Hawk the pick if we're going to a 3-4?

AFJF

I think so. Although there are some very good LBs that can be had later in rd. 1 or early rd. 2 (Chad Greenway, D'Marco Ryans, Thomas Howard, Manny Lawson) Mangini will look to team Vilma, a healthy Barton, Hobson/Brown, with a young, fast LB.

opinions?

I think so. Although there are some very good LBs that can be had later in rd. 1 or early rd. 2 (Chad Greenway, D'Marco Ryans, Thomas Howard, Manny Lawson) Mangini will look to team Vilma, a healthy Barton, Hobson/Brown, with a young, fast LB.

opinions?

i would say the same thing about hawk as any other player at #4 - it costs too much $$$ in an unproven NFL player. the only position i would draft at 4 is a franchise QB - palmer, manning, etc...

in this draft i would take leinert or cutler @ 4 otherwise trade down and look for the 2nd or 3rd best player at the position. ngata may be around later, as well as the 2-5 OT's. ngata should be able to play NT in a 3-4, something this team direly needs.

Based on what I've been able to read up on him, Hawk seems like a very skilled guy, and might be what we need in a 3-4.

My question is, does Vilma suffer as one of the inside guys in the 3-4? It limits his ability to roam sideline-to-sideline a bit. To crowded.

Based on what I've been able to read up on him, Hawk seems like a very skilled guy, and might be what we need in a 3-4.

My question is, does Vilma suffer as one of the inside guys in the 3-4? It limits his ability to roam sideline-to-sideline a bit. To crowded.

I think there would be a drop in production as a result of having to compete with another ILB for tackles as opposed to a DT trying to occupy blockers. He's a smart/instinctive enough player that he'll do his job well in any system IMO. I dont think any of us would mind JVs tackles decreasing if the unit as a whole is improved.

I think there would be a drop in production as a result of having to compete with another ILB for tackles as opposed to a DT trying to occupy blockers. He's a smart/instinctive enough player that he'll do his job well in any system IMO. I dont think any of us would mind JVs tackles decreasing if the unit as a whole is improved.

Agree with your last sentence.

But Vima's chief value is his ability to close on the ball-carrier in a hurry. And he needs a massive DT in front of him, and room to roam, neither of which he will have in a 3-4.

But, he would be awesome in more blitzing packages. I can see Vilma causing the opposition Q/Bs life to be rotten all game long, if we work the 3-4 right.

I am guessing Mangini sees a big LB from Ohio State and, with the comparisons to Vrabel in mind, makes the choice. I personally would take a chance on greatness and take Len Dale White and shock the world.

Living in Columbus, I've seen Hawk his entire career and he is Head & Shoulders better than Vrabel. New England knows how to utilize Vrabel and puts him into position to make plays.They are different players...Hawk is more of a pure linebacker and Vrabel a tweener......who works out of the DE postion at times.

I'm certain Mangini will want to draft Hawk, he just has to convince Bradway. IMO, Mangini won't have total control on drafting players, but will have an impact in the decision making, drafting by commitee.

Eh, its possible. But it wouldnt be a better pick than Dbrick.

Anybody else think Bryan Thomas can be the next McGinest? Or in a very similar role. Both were college Dends, not very fast for linebackers, but are strong and athletic. I think Thomas could be a force in a 3-4 as an OLB.

4 backers in the 3-4

Abraham--Vilma--Barton--Thomas

4 Is the pick for Hawk.

Look, the best teams always draft for talent not need...

It's a little too early for D'brick, and WAY too early for Jay Cutler.

AJ HAWK.

I said this to a friend of mine during the patriots game who is a big time giants fan: "The giants should have just taken Rothlesberger as they really liked him at the time and could have kept all those picks they gave away instead of trying to grab the golden boy." He replied with "yes, we did want to draft him but not at #4, that was way too high for him." What I'm about to say isn't done enough with the draft, if he's the right guy and you want/need him then quit playing games and just go get him. If Cutler or D-Brick is our guy then just draft him and figure out how to work the cap out later.

I said this to a friend of mine during the patriots game who is a big time giants fan: "The giants should have just taken Rothlesberger as they really liked him at the time and could have kept all those picks they gave away instead of trying to grab the golden boy." He replied with "yes, we did want to draft him but not at #4, that was way too high for him." What I'm about to say isn't done enough with the draft, if he's the right guy and you want/need him then quit playing games and just go get him. If Cutler or D-Brick is our guy then just draft him and figure out how to work the cap out later.

I agree 100%. If the guy you want is there and you're not able to trade down to take him later, just draft him anyway. So what if you have a player at a different position with a higher grade (unless there is a riddiculous gap in talent). Take the BAP that will help your team the most.

Archived