Maccagnan deserves to stay, but is on the clock now: NYP (Costello)

Lizard King

It only appeared that Sam Darnold’s favorite play Sunday against the Bears was the rollout right and chuck it into the fifth row.

Who could blame the kid?

Jets receivers looked like they were handcuffed to Chicago defenders as they created as much separation as you usually have from the overweight guy in the middle seat.

The Jets injury issues at wide receiver have been well-documented. No Quincy Enunwa. No Robby Anderson. No chance. But the Jets’ problems at the position did not just start in October with those injuries. They began in April 2017 when they used a third-round pick and a fourth-round pick on wide receivers — ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen, respectively.

Neither are on the team just 18 months after getting drafted. I am currently spending more time in an NFL locker room than either of them, as they are free agents, hoping to get picked up by someone.

Those two should have provided the depth the Jets needed right now. Taking two players at the same position who both failed is a big mark against general manager Mike Maccagnan.

Todd Bowles has taken the brunt of the criticism this week with the Jets at 3-5 for the third straight year. But Bowles did not get here alone. Maccagnan shares the same 23-33 record in charge of the Jets that Bowles does. To paraphrase the old Bill Parcells line, Maccagan bought the groceries that Bowles has made a meal out of.

I don’t think Maccagnan should be fired. Ownership fully endorsed the rebuild plan in 2017, knowing the idea was to tear things down in Year 1, find a quarterback and a few pieces in Year 2 and then ramp things up in 2019 when there would be nearly $100 million in cap space. Maccagnan deserves to see that plan through.

Nevertheless, he should not escape scrutiny for the current state of the team. Maccagnan has made some really good trades and second-tier signings that I have praised him for previously. Turning Sheldon Richardson into a second-round pick and Jermaine Kearse was shrewd. Moving up to get the No. 3 pick and Darnold this year was terrific. He has found some under-the-radar talent such as Brandon Copeland, Andre Roberts and Henry Anderson who have all made plays this year.

But Maccagnan has whiffed on his bigger signings and much of his drafting outside of the top 10. The signings of Darrelle Revis and Muhammad Wilkerson (a combined $76 million guaranteed) blew up in his face. It is too early to judge the five-year, $72.5 million deal he gave cornerback Trumaine Johnson this year.

In the draft, Maccagnan has hit on Leonard Williams (sixth overall in 2015), Jamal Adams (sixth overall in 2017) and Marcus Maye (second round in 2017). It appears his 2018 draft class may be his best with Darnold, Chris Herndon, Nathan Shepherd, Trenton Cannon and Parry Nickerson all showing promise. But his previous three classes have already taken some hits. Only 10 of the 22 players taken between 2015-17 remain on the active roster. That number will get a boost if Elijah McGuire is taken off IR this week.

There is a clear need for weapons to surround Darnold, but Maccagnan has failed at finding them in the draft. He has drafted four receivers — Stewart, Hansen, Charone Peake and Devin Smith. Only Peake remains on the team and he is primarily a special teams player.

The playmakers were there to be taken, but Maccagnan missed them. Chiefs superstar running back Kareem Hunt was drafted seven picks after Stewart in 2017. Buccaneers s receiver Chris Godwin, who has four touchdowns this season, went five picks after Stewart. Lions receiver Kenny Golladay, who has three touchdowns, went later in the third round.

Hansen (nine career catches) and Stewart (six career catches) flopped and the Jets paid the price for that Sunday.

Maccagnan deserves another offseason to build this roster, but he can’t afford many more misses.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Entrusting Mac with 100mil in capspace and a t10 pick is madness. This whole regime needs to be removed Gm,HC,DC,OC all should be gone before next season starts. The most important thing we need to do now is get proven offensive minded staff members in the building to ensure Sam gets the best chance to develop. We're 4 years into a rebuild and are probably gonna be 5-11 again lol 

8 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Entrusting Mac with 100mil in capspace and a t10 pick is madness. This whole regime needs to be removed Gm,HC,DC,OC all should be gone before next season starts. The most important thing we need to do now is get proven offensive minded staff members in the building to ensure Sam gets the best chance to develop. We're 4 years into a rebuild and are probably gonna be 5-11 again lol 

Very true. No more time to wait. The cheap rental on Sam is  gone in another 3-4 seasons. A drastic move needs to be made to get better now. 

No one likes to talk about it practically, but if you keep Mac, you have to keep Bowles.

Otherwise, you keep Mac for another 3 years, at a minimum.

You cannot have Mac hire a coach, and then fire Mac and that coach after one year.

You cannot have Mac hire a coach, and then fire Mac and make a new GM keep that coach.

So, you either fire them both this year, or give them both one more year.  There's no option 3 that makes any practical sense.

48 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

...the Jets’ problems at the position did not just start in October with those injuries. They began in April 2017 when they used a third-round pick and a fourth-round pick on wide receivers — ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen, respectively.

Neither are on the team just 18 months after getting drafted. I am currently spending more time in an NFL locker room than either of them, as they are free agents, hoping to get picked up by someone.

Those two should have provided the depth the Jets needed right now. Taking two players at the same position who both failed is a big mark against general manager Mike Maccagnan.

paging @Jet Nut

49 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

It is too early to judge the five-year, $72.5 million deal he gave cornerback Trumaine Johnson this year.

Is it? 

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I love the fact the 1st two years of drafts and fa are totally ignored because they were not in the 'rebuild' window.

My favorite narrative on this board.  He was trying to win year 1 so it's cool he didnt add any talent in the draft and handed all our FA money out to dbags who are no longer on the team.

i read this this morning.  i think thus far mac has done a so-so job.  i think there are reasons to keep him and those are to mainly avoid the front office shuffling that the jets seem to have.  the big question is "has he learned?"  and simply launching him without having a fundamental structural change in the jets organization will do little.  and what about bowles?  if the players are that bad is bowles some kind of a miracle worker by even getting them to 5-6 wins?

i really wish the beat writers would do some research work and show how mac stacks up to other nfl gm's with regard to draft success.  at least we could then see objectively if his draft are below average.

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

No one likes to talk about it practically, but if you keep Mac, you have to keep Bowles.

You cannot have Mac hire a coach, and then fire Mac and that coach after one year.

You cannot have Mac hire a coach, and then fire Mac and make a new GM keep that coach.

So, you either fire them both this year, or give them both one more year.  There's no option 3 that makes any practical sense.

The fact that they both have guaranteed salaries for the next two years makes it more likely than not that they keep both for another year. I agree with you, they should be shown the door together. Maccagnan hasn't done anything to suggest he deserves a decade as the team's GM. 

It's going to come down to how "hard the team is playing" down the stretch, and how much fan and media pressure there is to fire them both. 

The playmakers were there to be taken, but Maccagnan missed them. Chiefs superstar running back Kareem Hunt was drafted seven picks after Stewart in 2017. Buccaneers s receiver Chris Godwin, who has four touchdowns this season, went five picks after Stewart. Lions receiver Kenny Golladay, who has three touchdowns, went later in the third round.

Jeez... this gets me angry.   Reminds me of HACK.Devin Smith was undersized and a junior. HACK reaches too much. We would have done better simply drafting BPA. A computer could have done better.

17 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

THIS is the most important factor in keeping Maccagnan. Personally I believe Mac is even more deserving of being shown the door than Bowles but IF we fire Bowles and keep Mac we're essentially signing up for four more years of Mac, because we're not going to fire Mac after we have a new coach. We tried that with Idzik and Rex and it was an unmitigated disaster.

Either you suck it up and try to run it back one more year with these two (playoffs or bust) or you clean house after 2018.

1 hour ago, Lizard King said:

How? How in the world does one reach this conclusion? 

Because it appears he has done better in 2018, and there are reasons for that, and it does not make sense to get rid of him unless we can replace him with someone better.

47 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Mac has been here and knows the team.  He is a mediocre professional.  The word on the street is that Heimerdinger is a GM candidate, and his increased role seems to have been accompanied with Darnold and a better draft.  Heimerdinger needs to be retained and promoted.

I do believe that many, but not all, of Mac's bad decisions were a result of the dynamic between him, Bowles and Woody.   This team needs a Director of Football Operations that knows football.  The Hansen/Stewart vs. Hunt/Elflein/Gollaway/Godwin (how many people on the board wanted Godwin?) is just inexcusable.   

23 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

This is so true and it's why I fully expect both back next year.  It would be one thing if Mac had been truly building a talented team and just wasnt seeing the results ie; the Jags under Bradley.  But that's not the case.  This team sucks something awful and has very little talent, so a clean sweep is the only answer but it's not going to happen.  I just dont see a scenario where Todd Bowles decided on his own to start the youngest week 1 starter in NFL history.  I dont believe for 1 second that was his decision and I think it came with a guarantee for next year.

There is a weird part of me that wonders what this team would look like if Mac was partnered with someone other than Todd.  It's very clear to me that Todd has heavily influenced the building of this team.  I do think Mac takes the back seat on a lot of personnel decisions and defers to Todd.  That said, Mac hasnt hit on any mid rounds picks so who knows.  They might just both suck equally.

49 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Very true. No more time to wait. The cheap rental on Sam is  gone in another 3-4 seasons. A drastic move needs to be made to get better now. 

Better now than later. I don’t think this year will hurt Sam too much but he will surely plateau or regress if Mac and Bowles are here next year.

Sam should attract a good head coach because anyone that watches film sees his potential PLUS they are not “tied” to him if he busts which I absolutely don’t see happening. 

24 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Aside from stumbling onto Darnold when the Browns and Giants went off the rails on draft day his next best pick is Williams an overpaid underwhelming jag.

He and Adams at 6 are not “good” picks. They are ok because they didn’t bust. You need more than that from top 10 picks though. 

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

Because it appears he has done better in 2018, and there are reasons for that, and it does not make sense to get rid of him unless we can replace him with someone better.

Mac has been here and knows the team.  He is a mediocre professional.  The word on the street is that Heimerdinger is a GM candidate, and his increased role seems to have been accompanied with Darnold and a better draft.  Heimerdinger needs to be retained and promoted.

I do believe that many, but not all, of Mac's bad decisions were a result of the dynamic between him, Bowles and Woody.   This team needs a Director of Football Operations that knows football.  The Hansen/Stewart vs. Hunt/Elflein/Gollaway/Godwin (how many people on the board wanted Godwin?) is just inexcusable.   

I think anyone who is currently involved with this current regime should be fired along with them. Overpay someone with the best qualifications to come in here with a fresh set of eyes and change the dynamic of this team. To break this down easily and to put it into words people shouldn't disagree with- We have a current GM who can't draft, a HC who can't discipline this roster or coach the team to victories, A DC who is never held accountable for the numerous blown coverage's and awful schemes he puts out every week and an OC whos playbook consists of 1st down draws up the middle with out mediocre rb core and crumbling line and screen passes on 3rd and long. They all need to go and there's no way anyone on here can advocate knowledgeably for any of them

I agree with the majority here.  Mac has shrewd moments but he has no ability to judge the middle 50% of players.  

Here's my question...this draft looks promising.  Aside from Sam how much say did Brian H have this year?  Chris Johnson needs to figure that out.  If he did I think we should offer him the GM spot and let him hire a coach.  

This is our chance to really take the next step.  We are more attractive to top candidates than we ever will be.  Step up Chris!

24 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Better now than later. I don’t think this year will hurt Sam too much but he will surely plateau or regress if Mac and Bowles are here next year.

Sam should attract a good head coach because anyone that watches film sees his potential PLUS they are not “tied” to him if he busts which I absolutely don’t see happening. 

Well if you don’t see it I have to believe bust potential not there. After all seeing things, especially from a hidden vantage point,, ummm errr, kinda your thing. 

1 hour ago, Lizard King said:

It only appeared that Sam Darnold’s favorite play Sunday against the Bears was the rollout right and chuck it into the fifth row.

Who could blame the kid?

Jets receivers looked like they were handcuffed to Chicago defenders as they created as much separation as you usually have from the overweight guy in the middle seat.

The Jets injury issues at wide receiver have been well-documented. No Quincy Enunwa. No Robby Anderson. No chance. But the Jets’ problems at the position did not just start in October with those injuries. They began in April 2017 when they used a third-round pick and a fourth-round pick on wide receivers — ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen, respectively.

Todd Bowles has taken the brunt of the criticism this week with the Jets at 3-5 for the third straight year. But Bowles did not get here alone. Maccagnan shares the same 23-33 record in charge of the Jets that Bowles does. To paraphrase the old Bill Parcells line, Maccagan bought the groceries that Bowles has made a meal out of.

I don’t think Maccagnan should be fired. Ownership fully endorsed the rebuild plan in 2017, knowing the idea was to tear things down in Year 1, find a quarterback and a few pieces in Year 2 and then ramp things up in 2019 when there would be nearly $100 million in cap space. Maccagnan deserves to see that plan through.

Nevertheless, he should not escape scrutiny for the current state of the team. Maccagnan has made some really good trades and second-tier signings that I have praised him for previously. Turning Sheldon Richardson into a second-round pick and Jermaine Kearse was shrewd. Moving up to get the No. 3 pick and Darnold this year was terrific. He has found some under-the-radar talent such as Brandon Copeland, Andre Roberts and Henry Anderson who have all made plays this year.

But Maccagnan has whiffed on his bigger signings and much of his drafting outside of the top 10. The signings of Darrelle Revis and Muhammad Wilkerson (a combined $76 million guaranteed) blew up in his face. It is too early to judge the five-year, $72.5 million deal he gave cornerback Trumaine Johnson this year.

In the draft, Maccagnan has hit on Leonard Williams (sixth overall in 2015), Jamal Adams (sixth overall in 2017) and Marcus Maye (second round in 2017). It appears his 2018 draft class may be his best with Darnold, Chris Herndon, Nathan Shepherd, Trenton Cannon and Parry Nickerson all showing promise. But his previous three classes have already taken some hits. Only 10 of the 22 players taken between 2015-17 remain on the active roster. That number will get a boost if Elijah McGuire is taken off IR this week.

There is a clear need for weapons to surround Darnold, but Maccagnan has failed at finding them in the draft. He has drafted four receivers — Stewart, Hansen, Charone Peake and Devin Smith. Only Peake remains on the team and he is primarily a special teams player.

Hansen (nine career catches) and Stewart (six career catches) flopped and the Jets paid the price for that Sunday.

Maccagnan deserves another offseason to build this roster, but he can’t afford many more misses.

Why?  Why does he deserve to see that plan through?

Trading up when he did and at a discount was a fantastic move, and I give him full credit for putting himself in position to get lucky with Sam falling to us.

However, the moment he did that, he screwed himself. The clock immediately accelerated because now we're wasting Sam's time. Anyone who objectively looks at Mac's complete production with the Jets knows that the clock has run out, because he absolutely cannot be trusted to build around Sam. Also, he needs to go because Bowles needs to go, and we certainly don't want another Tanny/Rex/Idzik situation.

39 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He and Adams at 6 are not “good” picks. They are ok because they didn’t bust. You need more than that from top 10 picks though. 

I agree but while I hated the absurd 1st rnd 2nd rnd safety / safety picks, for now I would separate Adams from Williams because he is still showing growth while Williams in my opinion has plateaued.

1 minute ago, Kleckineau said:

I agree but while I hated the absurd 1st rnd 2nd rnd safety / safety picks, for now I would separate Adams from Williams because he is still showing growth while Williams in my opinion has plateaued.

Fair enough and I do like the players and root for them. I’m reiterating my stance on draft philosophy and how they were the wrong type of picks. 

11 minutes ago, Mo Lew said:

I agree with the majority here.  Mac has shrewd moments but he has no ability to judge the middle 50% of players.  

Here's my question...this draft looks promising.  Aside from Sam how much say did Brian H have this year?  Chris Johnson needs to figure that out.  If he did I think we should offer him the GM spot and let him hire a coach.  

This is our chance to really take the next step.  We are more attractive to top candidates than we ever will be.  Step up Chris!

One thing from the article (not directed at you Mo Lew). Hasn't Costello been directly or implying Bowles should go?  Then how can he say Mcc deserves 2019 to fortify the roster and see through the rebuild but advocate for making a change at HC?  Makes no sense.

Regarding Brian H. - To answer your question, yes he does have a say.  Mcc has said so many, many times. That doesn't mean he can be the guy to pull the trigger on draft picks. For all we know maybe he really liked Stewart or Hansen?  However, he is, by reports, well respected throughout the NFL.

Let's also not forget the Jets Dir of College Scouting left in May to join Brian Gaine in Houston and the Jets hired the Texans former Dir of college scouting.. 

The New York Jets have hired former Texans director of college scouting Jon Carr as their director of college scouting, according to league sources not authorized to speak publicly.

Carr replaces Matt Bazirgan in his new job. Bazirgan is now the Texans' director of player personnel.

Carr previously replaced current Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan as the Texans' director of college scouting.

Archived