Baker Mayfield says Browns should have drafted Pat Mahomes instead of Myles Garrett in 2017

Patriot Killa

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I totally get it and the amount of safeties and defensive tackles/3-4 ends available every year is incredible. To waste picks on the positions they could easily be filled in FA just because of a TOO STRICT BPA strategy is stupid.

You want leadership and to build a locker room? Where are our cheap vets for depth that are 28-30ish that can teach the young guys a lot. We should 1 good/cheap locker room vet at every position group. That would help build up this young team and build a culture.

Wasting a top 10 pick on a player that is young and may not reach his audience out of not having everyone’s respect yet(lack of experience/production), is just bad GMing.

Adams and his leadership has done nothing for us.  He’s not a bad player but he’s not a top 6 draft pick either

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, PS17 said:

Mahomes would look poor to average here with the incompetent coaching and CFL level offensive talent. 

I like Darnolds but it seen some fan here had not seen Mahomes plays.  His pocket presence, ball release and anticipation is off the chart.  

38 minutes ago, genot said:

Why the continuous attacks on Adams. Adams wasn't a reach at 6. Every team had a high grade on him.

Based on draft board no he was not a reach at all. His high grade(which I have no issue with) does not reflect positional value and you don’t take a SS that early. It’s a great luxury pick to have if you already have a solid team/contender and looking to fill a hole and have a chance at an amazing player with a pick like that.

When you are a dumpster fire (like we were coming out of 2016 and blowing up the roster for rebuild), you need to focus on cornerstones and key positions that don’t just fall into your lap every year.

Certain positions never/rarely hit FA and are not good value when they do since everyone bids on them and drives their prices up. SS,FS,ILB,DT/3/4DE,WR2,TE,HB,CB2 can all be found in FA pretty much every single year in the current state of the NFL. You build a roster faster and more efficiently by drafting premium positions with your higher picks (rounds 1-3) and then fill the other holes with FA. 

15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Adams and his leadership has done nothing for us.  He’s not a bad player but he’s not a top 6 draft pick either

It may do some good behind the seems and he at least cares but I think vet leadership is way more important to a young team because players respect guys that HAVE already been there and done that. It resonates with a team better. 

58 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I wouldn’t draft him in the first based on position but he seems to be pretty darn good in the box and maybe worthy of a 1st round pick. Def not top 10 but so many players busy anyways so who knows. I like player a lot but hate the GM for being an idiot. 

http://turnonthejets.com/2018/06/toj-new-york-jets-film-breakdown-the-versatility-of-jamal-adams/

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It may do some good behind the seems and he at least cares but I think vet leadership is way more important to a young team because players respect guys that HAVE already been there and done that. It resonates with a team better. 

So far this guy is a slightly better Eric Smith with a twitter account

16 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

May have been harmless but these are the little things that are headaches and they are things you don’t have to worry about with Sam Darnold.

periodtt!

This. He may be right (although I think Mahomes probably stinks in Cleveland under Hue) and it may not be a HUGE deal... But this is exactly what people mean when they compare the personality/off-field of Darnold and Baker. You don't need to worry about Darnold saying meaninglessly dumb things that could cause issues and give the media soundbites. He's smarter than that.

17 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Browns’ Baker Mayfield says Patrick Mahomes, not Myles Garrett, should have been No. 1 pick in 2017

The Cleveland Browns had the No. 1 pick in the 2017 draft, as they are wont to do, and they used it on Texas A&M defensive end Myles Garrett. The move has seemingly paid off so far: Garrett fought through injuries to register seven sacks over 11 games last season and is tied for second in the NFL with eight sacks in eight games this season.

The Kansas City Chiefs, meanwhile, traded three picks — first- and third-round picks in 2017 and a first-round selection in 2018 — to the Buffalo Bills for the right to move up 17 spots to select quarterback Patrick Mahomes with the No. 10 selection that year. In case you haven’t noticed, this has worked out extremely well.

On Wednesday, Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield — himself a No. 1 pick in 2018 — was asked his thoughts about all of that ahead of Cleveland’s game on Sunday against the Chiefs, when all three players will be on the field.

The Browns locker room was probably awkward enough this week considering Monday’s firings of Coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley. Mayfield perhaps added a few notches to that.

Anyway, maybe this can be chalked up to familiarity rather than any sort of shade. Mayfield and Mahomes squared off twice when the former was at Oklahoma and the latter was at Texas Tech. In the second game, a ludicrous 66-59 Sooners victory on Oct. 22, 2016, the two teams combined for 1,708 yards, which broke the previous record by more than 60 yards. Mahomes threw the ball 88 times for 734 yards and five scores while also rushing for 85 yards and two touchdowns. Mayfield, who started his college career at Texas Tech before transferring to Oklahoma, had 545 passing yards and seven touchdown passes.

“That one was a little different,” Lincoln Riley, then Oklahoma’s offensive coordinator and now its head coach, told The Post’s Adam Kilgore. “You could tell there wasn’t any people playing the position at a higher level than those two.”

Am I missing it but the article doesn't seem to actually have the quote? Headlines can be manipulated. I am curious what he actually said.

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Why would we not draft mahommes?  Because of Christian hackenburg.

THIS...............100%!!!

This is REALLY the unforgivable sin!

The Truth is that the Jets passed on Mahoomes not because they just KNEW they were going to get Darnold, but because they, as an organization, were vested in Hackenburg and that is PREPOSTEROUS......

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I know he’s a good player. I think you are missing my point. 

I know your point about where he was picked. Etc, etc. You can't deny he had a high first round grade, which means if we didn't draft him at #6, someone else very shortly after would have taken him. It's very hard to judge the worth of a Adams, a Maye, a Williams without an impact guy rushing the passer. It's almost impossible to stop an NFL offense for 4 quarters when you can't harass the QB.

2 minutes ago, genot said:

I know your point about where he was picked. Etc, etc. You can't deny he had a high first round grade, which means if we didn't draft him at #6, someone else very shortly after would have taken him. It's very hard to judge the worth of a Adams, a Maye, a Williams without an impact guy rushing the passer. It's almost impossible to stop an NFL offense for 4 quarters when you can't harass the QB.

I said he had a high grade and sure someone would have picked him but that doesn’t make it the right move for a team in total rebuild like we were. Maybe it would make sense for a team that was better put together or closer to contention because a high pick on a SS is a luxury that we didn’t have and still don’t have. I agree about the pass rush. 

59 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

THIS...............100%!!!

This is REALLY the unforgivable sin!

The Truth is that the Jets passed on Mahoomes not because they just KNEW they were going to get Darnold, but because they, as an organization, were vested in Hackenburg and that is PREPOSTEROUS......

This is really a crock. Nobody knew he was going to be this good. The Bears drafted Trubisky ahead of him. 

18 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This^

In fact, they could of taken Barkley #1 and still got Mayfield.

but aside from what they should have done, Baker is making it awkward to be in the same room as Myles. Myles can’t like that.

You dont know that for sure.

Besides, Denzel Ward is looking like an all pro corner and Chubb is looking pretty good himself. 

17 hours ago, Paradis said:

Not true.

Had Cleveland take Barkley, Giants take Darnold, Jets take Baker. Trust me I’ve looked at all the angles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah. It was reported that if Barkley was off the board, the Giants would have went with Chubb

18 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I wanted the Jets to draft Mahomes but it is a stupid thing to say when you have other good players who were drafted in his stead. 

Like Baker a lot but just silly talk.  

Jets should have taken Watson.  

4 hours ago, jack48 said:

Pat Mahomes with our RBs, widoeuts and OL.......Hmmmm. Pat Mahomes with Todd Bowles as his coach.  The Jets have no one on their offense who compares to any of the tools that Mahomes has around him.  And the brain trust........whew.

Also, does he sit a year or do we start him right away like with Darnold?  Personally if he sat a year, I think he would still be demonstrating just how good he is.  I mean as much as we like to rank on our team we are not totally devoid of talent.  Mahomes to Anderson would be sick!  He also would have Enunwa and Krease (Pryor too?).   Our running backs, when healthy are average to slightly above average.   Of course we will never know.   Btw for the Watson doubters, he has been playing much better of late and has his team in the playoff hunt.  (I bet he is salivating over their acquistion of D. Thomas from Denver.)  Jamal Adams......  #facepalm

19 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Also, does he sit a year or do we start him right away like with Darnold?  Personally if he sat a year, I think he would still be demonstrating just how good he is.  I mean as much as we like to rank on our team we are not totally devoid of talent.  Mahomes to Anderson would be sick!  He also would have Enunwa and Krease (Pryor too?).   Our running backs, when healthy are average to slightly above average.   Of course we will never know.   Btw for the Watson doubters, he has been playing much better of late and has his team in the playoff hunt.  (I bet he is salivating over their acquistion of D. Thomas from Denver.)  Jamal Adams......  #facepalm

Watson is up and down just like any young QB  QB. Your really here to pump your chest after few good games  but more bad tape this year overall . 

The idea that jamal Adams is a bad player is comical at this point . 

55 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Pat said the #1 thing he learned how to do was read NFL defenses during his time on the bench. He said Andy Reid drilled it into his head.

having a true bonified QB whisperer is a huge help and not something he would truly get here. Sam at least played in a pro system in his first year at USC. Sam already came in some what knowing how to jump from progression reads and such. Pat Mahomes was an air raid QB, who I felt, was destined to bust because of it. Andy Reid being in his corner REALLY saves his career before it started. I’m 100000% convinced he would not of been able to put all that talent he has on the field and perform like a true NFL QB without his coach.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

This is really a crock. Nobody knew he was going to be this good. The Bears drafted Trubisky ahead of him. 

Sorry Sammy ..... :) 

I and many others did think that Mahoomes was the pick of the draft.... and even in your left field scenario (because who the heck cares who the Bears draft), I think a Trubisky pick would have been a superior pick to waiting to to see if Hack was any good.

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Jets should have taken Watson.  

Hmmmmm I liked Mahoomes then Watson but I was a Watson fan as well, so I would have NO problem with that pick.

It is like this year, I personally liked Mayfield as well and even Rosen to lesser degree.

But amazingly some out here are still arguing that the Jets used proper judgment in waiting to see if Hack was a good prospect.

3 hours ago, TheGreenGhost said:

I though Mayfield was a quick, elusive QB?

I think we found some pass rushers.  Macc needs to put in a call to the Fayetteville PD.

You try running drunk and see how fast you are!

3 hours ago, King P said:

oh that chubb... eh, maybe. I read otherwise - but i could see it. It would have been an equally dumb move.

Ward>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chubb

I'm really exhausted in real life. I work in labor relations and i've been arguing for what feels like years. I want to die. 

Archived