Mccagnan Mid-Season Presser with Media

C Mart

This thread will go over like a lead balloon...But anyway.  Fire away

Al Iannazzone‏ @Al_Iannazzone 

Maccagnan reiterates the Jets will be “very active” in free agency.

Maccagnan says “I feel very good about where the team is right now.....but we’re not where we want to be.” He said they need to be more consistent.

Maccagnan said “We feel like we have a lot of pieces in place.”

Maccagnan acknowledges, “We’re probably going to be active in free agency.” Jets will have a boatload of cap space.

Maccagnan said he “was on the phone quite a bit” before the trade deadline.

Maccagnan said he’s “frustrated” by the Jets record. But he brings up their youth and injuries

Maccagnan says he’s “very excited about Sam..... We really like his progress and how he’s developed.”

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Connor Hughes‏ @Connor_J_Hughes 

Maccagnan said he saw Sam Darnold take the practice field ~20m before anyone else. “Those are the things you feel really good about” 

Maccagnan, when asked if Jets are a piece or two away, said, with cap space & draft picks, #Jets are in a position to really “springboard this thing forward” this offseason.

Maccagnan name-drops Darron Lee & Brandon Shell as guys who have taken steps forward this year #Jets

Maccagnan says he talks to every GM/decision-maker of a team when one of their players are on the trade block, or rumored to be on the block. #Jets, from that standpoint, are interested in every available player

Maccagnan indicated the #Jets will be “very active” in free agency. He implied that was one of the reasons they weren’t willing to give up an abundance of assets for players.

Dennis Waszak Jr.‏ @DWAZ73 

#Jets GM Mike Maccagnan met w/ media for 1st time since before season.

- Trying to balance short- & long-term

- cap space & picks give chance to "springboard this thing forward"

- Says he and Bowles "work very well together"

- Focus is on this season moving forward. "There are things we're going to go through this season that will help us going forward."

- On his draft picks: "For the most part, I feel pretty good."

Rich Cimini‏  @RichCimini 

Maccagnan on standing pat at the trading deadline: He said he was in contact with every team outside the AFC East ("on the phone quite a bit"), but didn't find any deals that made sense and could help team in short/long term

7 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

He feels good about his draft picks? He & Bowles work well together?

Oh come on

Yeaaah..I don’t think this is something to be mad about lol. Maccagnan sucks but that really wasn’t something to freak on.

”WHAT!? Macc said he’s having a good day today!???” “Oh c’mon! You idiot”

thats kind of what that was lol...

34 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

He’s definitely back next year as predicted. Bowles 50/50, gun to my head I say Bowles goes, and Johnson gives Mac / new coach a couple of years. If its a disaster they’ll both go. If not he’ll give them 4 years together.

If the Jets finish 4-12 or 5-11 then Mike Maccagan is most definitely gone. Even with 6 wins Mac could be gone. We are 3-5 heading into 3 straight games against divisional opponents. This stretch of games will determine both Maccagnan and Bowles fate.

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

If the Jets finish 4-12 or 5-11 then Mike Maccagan is most definitely gone. Even with 6 wins Mac could be gone. We are 3-5 heading into 3 straight games against divisional opponents. This stretch if games will determine both Maccagnan and Bowles fate.

I just think Sam's saved his bacon. The relatively cheap trade up to #3 did that.

Bowles on the other hand is a goner.

58 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why is he talking about the offseason already?  There are still 8 games left in the season.  He's got much faith in his team? 

He knows Bowles is already waiving the "white flag", but he likes how the guys competed and didn't quit. I get your point though

How many good, very good or great players are there on this team?  Macc has now had what, 4 drafts and 4 free agency periods?  This roster is his and his alone.  He built it and it's his baby.  We're now at the point, with a 3-5 record, that either the players aren't good, the coaches aren't good or BOTH aren't good.  In all honesty, it is starting to look like that last one.

Name the Jets players who will make the Pro Bowl as either a 1st or 2nd team player?

Interesting thing about the trade deadline question - The reporters seemed to ask if the Jets were active on the phones trying to make a trade for anyone, maybe get a WR, etc.  Notice that nobody really said, "Were you receiving calls from other teams inquiring about your players and looking to grab some of the Jets stellar talent since you're at 3-5?"

Both Bowles and Maccganan have been great at making us believe they haven't been here very long. It's been a boring 4 years. But crazy to think this is year 4 already. That is a lifetime in the NFL. The roster just inst good enough to support another year and there's zero indication Bowles has any plans on getting more aggressive on offense.

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

How many good, very good or great players are there on this team?  Macc has now had what, 4 drafts and 4 free agency periods?  This roster is his and his alone.  He built it and it's his baby.  We're now at the point, with a 3-5 record, that either the players aren't good, the coaches aren't good or BOTH aren't good.  In all honesty, it is starting to look like that last one.

Name the Jets players who will make the Pro Bowl as either a 1st or 2nd team player?

Interesting thing about the trade deadline question - The reporters seemed to ask if the Jets were active on the phones trying to make a trade for anyone, maybe get a WR, etc.  Notice that nobody really said, "Were you receiving calls from other teams inquiring about your players and looking to grab some of the Jets stellar talent since you're at 3-5?"

Only three players are under contract that were on the team when he took over -- Quincy Enunwa, Bilal Powell, and Brian Winters.

1 hour ago, thshadow said:

Yup, they have big needs at the skill positions, edge rusher, GM, and HC.

beat me to it.  It's beyond obvious that the Jets desperately need a new HC and I think we have seen more than enough of Maccagnan's inability to draft, so he needs to be replaced as well.  Jets will NEVER sniff a championship with these guys.  Both of them need to go, although Bowles is an f-ing nightmare of a HC and his replacement is more urgent.

mac is the last guy I want doing anymore drafts of spending money on free agents-we have one of the worst rosters in football and continue to head in the wrong direction. Our coach is weak and stupid.  Burn it down and do the smart thing. This time actually bring in a gm that has a record of building a winning team-back up the brinks truck and over pay him and then get out of the way

Just now, MDL_JET said:

I’d be slightly excited if he didn’t say the same exact thing last year. Especially being “very active” in free agency. 

Also. Pretty clear indication I feel from this that he’ll be back. Bowles, not so much. 

Well we were active. You can’t say we weren’t

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

This thread will go over like a lead balloon...But anyway.  Fire away

Al Iannazzone‏ @Al_Iannazzone 

Maccagnan reiterates the Jets will be “very active” in free agency.

Maccagnan says “I feel very good about where the team is right now.....but we’re not where we want to be.” He said they need to be more consistent.

Maccagnan said “We feel like we have a lot of pieces in place.”

Maccagnan acknowledges, “We’re probably going to be active in free agency.” Jets will have a boatload of cap space.

Maccagnan said he “was on the phone quite a bit” before the trade deadline.

Maccagnan said he’s “frustrated” by the Jets record. But he brings up their youth and injuries

Maccagnan says he’s “very excited about Sam..... We really like his progress and how he’s developed.”

TBT, I like Mac better than Bowles. IMO, if the Jets are not at least a 7 win team Bowles should be in trouble. 2019 is Mac’s Do or Die season.

Archived