Mccagnan Mid-Season Presser with Media

C Mart

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

No, they sacrificed victories when they traded Bridgewater. Now they’re just killing time and collecting checks.

I believe that the Sam Darnold or Teddy debate opens an entire different can of worms. They obviously thought Sam developing while trying to win games was worth the risk rather than Teddy trying to win games. They felt the win total wouldn’t be drastically different. Teddy also doesn’t have the big play making ability that Darnold has so I’m wondering where we would be regardless...less mistakes on offense? Sure I can go with that but does Teddy kill Indy and Denver thru the air in the same manner?

I will forever stick to my guns that Darnold starting and getting where he is right now in progress was better. Teddy had ability to be a good QB but I think the play making ability and ability escape the pocket from Darnold far outweighed Teddy’s ability under center. 

What’s our record if Teddy starts? Who knows. 4-4? 5-3?

idk but again the win difference probably isn’t much and it surely doesn’t outweigh the chance of Darnold getting in there now in year 1.

in my opinion.

30 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

OK now do the 8-0 Rams...

• How many of their starters on offense were on the team in January of 2015? One: LG Rodger Saffold.
  • How many on defense? Four: Brockers, Donald, Barron, and Joyner

Before you say this is all the difference in the world - great as Donald is they were losing plenty with him until the rest of the team got turned around. Also remember in terms of 5 players vs. 3 players, remember Macc traded away or failed to re-sign 2 young probowl DLmen he inherited. 

So basically, that's about the same number of players that predate the 2015 season. If you want to say the whole difference is Donald, because he's just that dominant, then make the case that the Jets would be 8-0 with a top-3 offense and #6 defense if they also had him on the roster.

Maybe you misunderstood my post...? The point I was making was that he's overhauled this roster and the fact that it sucks is totally on him. He picked these players, Idzik isn't to blame anymore.

20 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Maybe you misunderstood my post...? The point I was making was that he's overhauled this roster and the fact that it sucks is totally on him. He picked these players, Idzik isn't to blame anymore.

50 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

• How many of their starters on offense were on the team in January of 2015? One: LG Rodger Saffold.

Before you suggest this is all the difference in the world... Great as Donald is they were losing plenty with him until the rest of the team got turned around. Also remember in terms of 5 players vs. 3 players, remember Macc traded away or failed to re-sign 2 young probowl DLmen he inherited. 

So basically, that's about the same number of players that predate the 2015 season. If you want to say the whole difference is Donald, because he's just that dominant, then make the case that the Jets would be 8-0 with a top-3 offense and #6 defense if they also had him on the roster.

I agree that Macc has over hauled the roster and so the fact that it still sucks and has no depth is totally on him. I feel like not having the skill position players is bad enough but not necessarily the reason I’m pissed.

its the depth.

I can have patience(though very little) and wait until next year to start adding to the offense even if I feel that it should of been effectively done already or at least a plan that was started on...but the depth is just the result of very poor drafting between the 4th-7th rounds. 1st-3rd should be starters(ideally) but 4th-7th is where you make/break in a lot of drafts. Of course you want to hit on the top rounds because they hold the greater potential players in more volume but 4th-7th the core of the team in a sense. If you can get great starters in the 4th-7th then that’s just a huge bonus and absolutely great for the team in the long run.....but

He has pathetically failed in that area.

to add to @Sperm Edwards point because he does make a valid one, adding young FA pieces that fit the scheme well and can grow along with the draft picks is vital. People say FA is usually “Fraud Agency” or some guy on here does. I believe RoadHouse but you still need to compliment your draft pieces with players who haven’t hit their “ceiling” and can grow into core pieces. Every once in awhile it’s okay to shoot for that big name guy but ideally you want to have a team in place first.

this is what Sperm was alluding to with the Rams roster....I think...that’s how I interpreted it. Forgive me if I’m wrong but if right

Then I agree with you both and you both make excellent points. I think you both are right in some regard.

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I’d be slightly excited if he didn’t say the same exact thing last year. Especially being “very active” in free agency. 

Also. Pretty clear indication I feel from this that he’ll be back. Bowles, not so much. 

The full quote regarding Bowles and him working well together is farrrrrr more ominous when you see the whole quote and the context.  Barring 9-7 and higher, I think Todd is as good as gone.

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I agree that Macc has over hauled the roster and so the fact that it still sucks and has no depth is totally on him. I feel like not having the skill position players is bad enough but not necessarily the reason I’m pissed.

its the depth.

I can have patience(though very little) and wait until next year to start adding to the offense even if I feel that it should of been effectively done already or at least a plan that was started on...but the depth is just the result of very poor drafting between the 4th-7th rounds. 1st-3rd should be starters(ideally) but 4th-7th is where you make/break in a lot of drafts. Of course you want to hit on the top rounds because they hold the greater potential players in more volume but 4th-7th the core of the team in a sense. If you can get great starters in the 4th-7th then that’s just a huge bonus and absolutely great for the team in the long run.....but

He has pathetically failed in that area.

There isn't an area in which he hasn't pathetically failed. 

This press conference is in response to print his young QB hang out to dry the last couple of games and then not doing anything at the deadline. He's always very active though, but doesn't have the balls to pull the trigger. He needs to go.

42 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Before you suggest this is all the difference in the world... Great as Donald is they were losing plenty with him until the rest of the team got turned around. Also remember in terms of 5 players vs. 3 players, remember Macc traded away or failed to re-sign 2 young probowl DLmen he inherited. 

I don’t disagree with you but them getting Goff allowed for the quick turn around IMO, that and McVay. 

I’m 100% okay with moving on from Bowles, could live with moving on with Mac too even though I think he deserves to pick a coach first. As much as the NFL has changed over the last 10 years I think it changed the most in the last 6 months. Where I blame Mac is him not having the foresight or knowledge to know that the NFL would be changing rules the way they did. There had to be rumblings about hits over the middle or more flags and fines being handed down for defensive hits. The NFL has become a track meet and the Jets got caught with their pants down in a year they needed to go for a QB. I do think part of the Jets problem was FAs didn’t see a QB and avoided signing with us, this offseason should be 100% about fire power for Darnold.

We have half a season left. How is it already a lock in some peoples minds that Maccagnan is back in 2019? Did Woody or Christopher Johnson already say so? No. Nothing has happened to suggest Maccagnan or Bowles are locks to come back for a 5th year. Not when those two have led the Jets to 0 playoff appearances and compiled a 23-33 record in 3 1/2 seasons. That's a winning percentage of 41.07%. We are the worst team in the AFC East since 2015. The lowly Bills are 3 games better than us since 2015, with record of  26-30. The Dolphins are 3 games better at 26-30 since 2015, and a whole more exciting to watch than the Jets.  One could argue Mike Tannenbaum has been doing a better job in his role as Executive Vice President of Football Operations with the Miami Dolphins  since 2015 than Mac has done with the Jets. The only teams worse than the Jets since 2015 are the Giants (21-35), the Bears (18-37), the 49ers (14-42), and the Browns (6-49-1). The Bears have turned the corner as a franchise and most likely playoff bound in 2018. The Browns are in a better place than the Jets. They will be the place all the top head coaching candidates will be trying to go. The Jets will be all the top head coaching candidates 2nd choice...and that's if Johnson & Johnson hire a top notch President of Football Operations.

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

Mac: “we are going to be very active in FA”

No sh*t, Sherlock. We’ve got like 25 people under contract for 2019. Unless at least a third or a 4th of those players are playing at pro bowl level, you’ve assembled band of future insurance agents. 

Hey at least our guys re going to be insurance agents and not walmart greeters or ups delivery people.

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I don’t disagree with you but them getting Goff allowed for the quick turn around IMO, that and McVay. 

I’m 100% okay with moving on from Bowles, could live with moving on with Mac too even though I think he deserves to pick a coach first. As much as the NFL has changed over the last 10 years I think it changed the most in the last 6 months. Where I blame Mac is him not having the foresight or knowledge to know that the NFL would be changing rules the way they did. There had to be rumblings about hits over the middle or more flags and fines being handed down for defensive hits. The NFL has become a track meet and the Jets got caught with their pants down in a year they needed to go for a QB. I do think part of the Jets problem was FAs didn’t see a QB and avoided signing with us, this offseason should be 100% about fire power for Darnold.

Well then why didn't we take Goff? Because Maccagnan turned it down. He felt he had an ace up his sleeve with Hackenberg a round or two later. 

He does not "deserve" to pick his own HC. IMO he got to pick his HC when he agreed to the job in the first place. He knew who the coach was going to be, so he could have turned down the opportunity if he didn't like Bowles as a HC. Plus since the exact same person recommended both of them, there's a decent probability Macc would have chosen Bowles as his HC anyway. 

His drafts have been bad, and that was his only qualification for the job. What suddenly qualifies him to assess head coaches, other than wishful thinking? FFS an agent poll listed the Jets as top 5 least prepared when it came for negotiations. 

I know you - like I - just want what's best for the team even though we often disagree. He will never put the Jets in SB contention. Right now, with Darnold and a lot of cap room and what'll probably be yet another top 10 pick, this will be an attractive job for a new GM and HC. Keep Macc, with his track record in FA and the draft, and what great and smart HC is going to want to work under him? 

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

beat me to it.  It's beyond obvious that the Jets desperately need a new HC and I think we have seen more than enough of Maccagnan's inability to draft, so he needs to be replaced as well.  Jets will NEVER sniff a championship with these guys.  Both of them need to go, although Bowles is an f-ing nightmare of a HC and his replacement is more urgent.

Mac kinda sux at his job too.  I think he's seen in a slightly better light because he is less visible on a week to week basis.  I dislike Bowles but I think it's a dead heat as to which one of these guys is worse at his job.  Less visibility counts :) 

Well then why didn't we take Goff? Because Maccagnan turned it down. He felt he had an ace up his sleeve with Hackenberg a round or two later. 

What would it have cost us to move up for Geoff? The rams gave up 2 firsts 2 seconds 2 thirds to move up a shorter distance than we would have had to move. I don't think Mac not moving up had anything to do with back I think it was an unjustifiable move for a young gm who is trying to figure things out.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

What would it have cost us to move up for Geoff? The rams gave up 2 firsts 2 seconds 2 thirds to move up a shorter distance than we would have had to move. I don't think Mac not moving up had anything to do with back I think it was an unjustifiable move for a young gm who is trying to figure things out.

We were 5 slots below the Rams (mid-3rd round value) and were dangling Mo in trade where the Rams really had nothing Jacksonville wanted other than draft picks.

Funny thing the move up had to be #1 overall and not #2, because Jacksonville was interested in Mo but Cleveland wasn't. So strangely, without giving so many picks, we had enough ammo to move up to #1 but not to #2. 

We were 5 slots below the Rams (mid-3rd round value) and were dangling Mo in trade where the Rams really had nothing Jacksonville wanted other than draft picks.
Funny thing the move up had to be #1 overall and not #2, because Jacksonville was interested in Mo but Cleveland wasn't. So strangely, without giving so many picks, we had enough ammo to move up to #1 but not to #2. 
Assuming you mean ten and not Jax even with wilk the move up would not have been reaonable I don't think. Hard to debate it honestly as it is all speculation. Honestly I don't think Goff was worth moving up for anyway he is alright but has alot of talent around him similar to Mahomes I am not unhappy with the potential I believe darnold has.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He does not "deserve" to pick his own HC. IMO he got to pick his HC when he agreed to the job in the first place. He knew who the coach was going to be, so he could have turned down the opportunity if he didn't like Bowles as a HC. Plus since the exact same person recommended both of them, there's a decent probability Macc would have chosen Bowles as his HC anyway. 

His drafts have been bad, and that was his only qualification for the job. What suddenly qualifies him to assess head coaches, other than wishful thinking? FFS an agent poll listed the Jets as top 5 least prepared when it came for negotiations. 

I know you - like I - just want what's best for the team even though we often disagree. He will never put the Jets in SB contention. Right now, with Darnold and a lot of cap room and what'll probably be yet another top 10 pick, this will be an attractive job for a new GM and HC. Keep Macc, with his track record in FA and the draft, and what great and smart HC is going to want to work under him? 

I didn’t realize we had a trade in place to get Goff, if that’s the case then that’s fair. I’m not sure I turn down a GM job just because I’m not a fan of the coach. Those aren’t jobs that pop up frequently and would automatically give you the built in excuse of “I didn’t pick the HC”. If we move on from Mac that’s fine but are there going to be great GMs lining up after seeing our GM finally land us a franchise QB and get canned?

3 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Since it looks like Mac is staying (that definitely helps with retaining players and having a front office prepared for this crazy offseason) he needs help with personnel in order to accomplish everything said above regarding draft and FA. I really hope they give Heimerdinky a chance to act like a mini GM to help lessen the load and anyone can take over the drafting as far as I’m concerned at this point. 

Hack was a Heimerdinger pick, you won’t find that in any article but I know that to be a fact.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

How many good, very good or great players are there on this team?  Macc has now had what, 4 drafts and 4 free agency periods?  This roster is his and his alone.  He built it and it's his baby.  We're now at the point, with a 3-5 record, that either the players aren't good, the coaches aren't good or BOTH aren't good.  In all honesty, it is starting to look like that last one.

Name the Jets players who will make the Pro Bowl as either a 1st or 2nd team player?

Interesting thing about the trade deadline question - The reporters seemed to ask if the Jets were active on the phones trying to make a trade for anyone, maybe get a WR, etc.  Notice that nobody really said, "Were you receiving calls from other teams inquiring about your players and looking to grab some of the Jets stellar talent since you're at 3-5?"

I'm going to answer my own question.  I'd say several good players, a few very good, and no great players.  The few very good are all on Defense....Adams, Leo, maybe T. Johnson.  Darnold is an unknown at this point but seriously, how many players on the Jets would other teams be interested in acquiring??  The Jets can't dangle a Patrick Peterson out there as trade bait, they don't have a Kahlil Mack, Golden Tate, Amari Cooper, etc. that teams are looking for.

Anyone else concerned that  if the Jets keep Mac around next year he will be ina must win situation and go on a drunken free agency spending spree? And in the history of the NFL when does that ever work out?

Rather clean house, select a new GM who won’t feel pressure to win immeidately and spend wildly in free agency. 

Regardless of our history this job is an attractive one. NY Team, Sam Darnold, tons of cap space. A top 10 pick. 

6 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

80008432-6DB0-492F-9C31-ACE1B0038520.jpeg

Wow, slick move by Mac. Very lightly and delicate way of dropping blame on Bowles.

Yes this media half way point state of the union address definitely was a lot of CYA by Macc to distance himself from Bowles, and I don’t blame him, and I wouldn’t blame Bowles if he does the same both have done their jobs poorly.

Anyone else concerned that  if the Jets keep Mac around next year he will be ina must win situation and go on a drunken free agency spending spree? And in the history of the NFL when does that ever work out?
Rather clean house, select a new GM who won’t feel pressure to win immeidately and spend wildly in free agency. 
Regardless of our history this job is an attractive one. NY Team, Sam Darnold, tons of cap space. A top 10 pick. 
Macc has not gone stupid with our cap yet he has kept us in pretty good situations cap wise. Going into this passed off-season I would think had to feel like a must win situation for him as a fourth year gm with no qb on his roster his response was bringing teddy in who looked sharp along with mccown as a backup than landing darnold in the draft. If that is how he treats filling our gaps next year when he is put into a must win situation you can sign me up

Archived