Mccagnan Mid-Season Presser with Media

C Mart

19 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Assuming you mean ten and not Jax even with wilk the move up would not have been reaonable I don't think. Hard to debate it honestly as it is all speculation. Honestly I don't think Goff was worth moving up for anyway he is alright but has alot of talent around him similar to Mahomes I am not unhappy with the potential I believe darnold has.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Yes I meant Tennessee. I'm from NY; Nashville and Jacksonville are the same thing to me. 

Goff or Wentz, take your pick.

Either one of them, plus a 2-3 year head start (maybe longer given how many players on offense need to turn over) > drafting Darnold 2 years later and then being an actual contender 3+ years later, if ever.

Your position on Goff is honestly a further case against Maccagnan. By the numbers, the season he's having would dwarf the next-best season by any Jets QB ever by a comfortable margin, and the year before it would have been as well (top 2-3 at worst). And this is an offense we could have built just as easily as the Rams did. I said in another post the only player on the Rams' offense who predates the Maccagnan hire is Saffold their LG

So look what a supposedly-inferior prospect like Goff is able to do, compared to Darnold. When Goff was a rookie they were locked into some bad contracts and prospects they wanted to give more time to (Robinson, Austin most notably). You think next year our LT is going to be 1st team AP like the 2017 Rams? Nope; it'll be Beachum again. Then the LG next to him is solid. Then their center can at least snap the ball reliably. Our RG is better, and not coincidentally Winters is the only OLman who predates Maccagnan. Lastly, they've got a better and more reliable RT. The only anticipated Jets OL change to next year is at LG; I expect the other 4/5 to return.

I like Darnold, too, but he isn't having a 2017 Goff season in 2019, let alone a 2018 Goff season. We're just not going to undergo the changes in personnel and coaching that the Rams did after Goff's rookie year. Macc's going to bring in a new LG, probably sign 1 new starting WR, and while possible I think less than 50/50 we again start a new center; the rest of the starting offense will likely be the same. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/1/2018 at 5:55 PM, bla bla bla said:

I didn’t realize we had a trade in place to get Goff, if that’s the case then that’s fair. I’m not sure I turn down a GM job just because I’m not a fan of the coach. Those aren’t jobs that pop up frequently and would automatically give you the built in excuse of “I didn’t pick the HC”. If we move on from Mac that’s fine but are there going to be great GMs lining up after seeing our GM finally land us a franchise QB and get canned?

That was the leak, yes. Mo was on the trading block for Macc's first 2 springs here but he overreached on Mo's value -- why do you think he wasn't extended until the summer after his 2nd draft? What he (allegedly) balked over was an extra 3rd rounder (don't know if it was to be that draft or a year later, though). What's the difference IMO? If you want him for all that, you don't then balk over a freaking 3rd rounder; that's pure senselessness. He's going to be your QB for the next 15+ years (your next 5 at least), and if he isn't you're probably getting fired anyway. Besides, is a Macc mid-3rd round pick so valuable? He took freaking Mauldin the prior year and c'mon you can trade down 5-10 slots in round 2 next year and pick a 3rd rounder back up. What's more, as far as he knew he was heading into the season with a probowl WR and another borderline probowl WR. It was the perfect time to trade up for a QB because you weren't also shopping around for such pieces.

As to his HC...

You think there wasn't a strong chance - if not a strong likelihood - that Macc wouldn't have taken the advice of the one person who thought he was qualified to be a GM in the first place?  

Macc followed Casserly from Washington to Houston. He'd worked for and followed the guy his whole career.

If Woody had let his GM pick his own coach like a normal owner, Macc surely would have hit up Casserly for his input and advice upon getting hired by the Jets, and based on that IMO he probably would have hired Bowles anyway.

Yes I meant Tennessee. I'm from NY; Nashville and Jacksonville are the same thing to me. 
Goff or Wentz, take your pick.
Either one of them, plus a 2-3 year head start (maybe longer given how many players on offense need to turn over) > drafting Darnold 2 years later and then being an actual contender 3+ years later, if ever.
Your position on Goff is honestly a further case against Maccagnan. By the numbers, the season he's having would dwarf the next-best season by any Jets QB ever by a comfortable margin, and the year before it would have been as well (top 2-3 at worst). And this is an offense we could have built just as easily as the Rams did. I said in another post the only player on the Rams' offense who predates the Maccagnan hire is Saffold their LG
So look what a supposedly-inferior prospect like Goff is able to do, compared to Darnold. When Goff was a rookie they were locked into some bad contracts and prospects they wanted to give more time to (Robinson, Austin most notably). You think next year our LT is going to be 1st team AP like the 2017 Rams? Nope; it'll be Beachum again. Then the LG next to him is solid. Then their center can at least snap the ball reliably. Our RG is better, and not coincidentally Winters is the only OLman who predates Maccagnan. Lastly, they've got a better and more reliable RT. The only anticipated Jets OL change to next year is at LG; I expect the other 4/5 to return.
I like Darnold, too, but he isn't having a 2017 Goff season in 2019, let alone a 2018 Goff season. We're just not going to undergo the changes in personnel and coaching that the Rams did after Goff's rookie year. Macc's going to bring in a new LG, probably sign 1 new starting WR, and while possible I think less than 50/50 we again start a new center; the rest of the starting offense will likely be the same. 
I would honestly be shocked if macc doesn't do a complete overhaul on offense assuming he stays. I expect us to go after bell which I believe is a mistake and I would expect an abundance of offensive line signings. I am alright with only bringing in 1 wr if it is the right one assuming we resign Anderson and enunwa though again I would expect a bunch of depth signings in that position as well. We might not have the high powered rams offense but I think we could at least make significant progress and put darnold in a real position to develop.

Trying to think realistically as the Johnson's (if Woody is even capable of that) and not rabid fan's, Mac probably gets positive credit in their eyes for the following players:

1) Darnold

2) Shell

3) Herndon

4) Robby Anderson

5) Kearse

6) Lachlan Edwards

7) Leo Williams

8 ) Jamal Adams

9) Mo Claiborne

10) Darren Lee

11) K. Beachum

12) Carpenter

13) McClendon

As fans, I'm sure most of us feel this isn't enough after 4 drafts and offseasons but as owners I'm sure he would sell this as his ability to put a core together and I just find it unlikely that they get rid of Mac, 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

As to his HC...

You think there wasn't a strong chance - if not a strong likelihood - that Macc wouldn't have taken the advice of the one person who thought he was qualified to be a GM in the first place?  

Macc followed Casserly from Washington to Houston. He'd worked for and followed the guy his whole career.

If Woody had let his GM pick his own coach like a normal owner, Macc surely would have hit up Casserly for his input and advice upon getting hired by the Jets, and based on that IMO he probably would have hired Bowles anyway.

It was Marrone. It all lined up. Marrone opting out of his Buff contract. Mcc signed Marrone to play QB back in the World league days. 

Woody got scared because of the Daily News hatchet job on Marrone because Marrone was buds w/Cannizzaro at the Post and afraid he’d get all the scoops. 

But anyway. What’s done is done. 

On 11/1/2018 at 11:08 AM, C Mart said:

This thread will go over like a lead balloon...But anyway.  Fire away

Al Iannazzone‏ @Al_Iannazzone 

Maccagnan reiterates the Jets will be “very active” in free agency.

Maccagnan says “I feel very good about where the team is right now.....but we’re not where we want to be.” He said they need to be more consistent.

Maccagnan said “We feel like we have a lot of pieces in place.”

Maccagnan acknowledges, “We’re probably going to be active in free agency.” Jets will have a boatload of cap space.

Maccagnan said he “was on the phone quite a bit” before the trade deadline.

Maccagnan said he’s “frustrated” by the Jets record. But he brings up their youth and injuries

Maccagnan says he’s “very excited about Sam..... We really like his progress and how he’s developed.”

Feels good about where the team is right now?

Ranked 15th in rushing offense

Ranked 28th in passing offense

Ranked 19th in scoring offense

Ranked 28th in 3rd down offense

Ranked 32nd in Red Zone. 

Whatever he’s smoking, I need some!!!

I don't even think debating Bowles is even needed at this point; I would imagine that all but the most avid supporters will be ready to move on.

As far as Mac is concerned, there are plenty of mistakes that one could use to argue the fate of Mac, but not giving away at least 2 1sts, 2nds, and 2 3rds + for a roll of the dice on a QB that was on a team with no real talent, shouldn't be one of them. Look how bad this team is without giving up all of the picks? Also, many complained about the 3 2nds (2 and Sheldon), you can't imagine the cry out after giving up the store for Goff. Also, how did he look his first year. He would have sucked with Bowles and with less talent than Sam has. Ouch.

50 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Feels good about where the team is right now?

Ranked 15th in rushing offense

Ranked 28th in passing offense

Ranked 19th in scoring offense

Ranked 28th in 3rd down offense

Ranked 32nd in Red Zone. 

Whatever he’s smoking, I need some!!!

Wasn't this expected?  And with a rookie QB?

All this place wanted was a franchise QB.....Well they now have him. What do people truly think Mcc is going to do w/the available cap space and draft picks? (here come the Safety & tiny ILB jokes)..It's going towards upgrading the O and getting an edge rusher. 

It's so clear..

Just look at the D and their contracts...Very few D players need to be resigned. And those that do (let's say H. Anderson, Mo Claib) are not going to break the bank and for a long term deal 

19 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Wasn't this expected?  And with a rookie QB?

All this place wanted was a franchise QB.....Well they now have him. What do people truly think Mcc is going to do w/the available cap space and draft picks? (here come the Safety & tiny ILB jokes)..It's going towards upgrading the O and getting an edge rusher. 

It's so clear..

Just look at the D and their contracts...Very few D players need to be resigned. And those that do (let's say H. Anderson, Mo Claib) are not going to break the bank and for a long term deal 

I guess from Macs comment it’s what he expected. But it’s not what I was expecting year 3 into a rebuild. The Jets knew they needed an edge rusher and didn’t get one. They knew they needed an infusion of O-linemen and didn’t get any. They added Pryor and that seems to be a bust so far. They built up the secondary and they are currently ranked 20th. I could go on but I regress. 

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

I would honestly be shocked if macc doesn't do a complete overhaul on offense assuming he stays. I expect us to go after bell which I believe is a mistake and I would expect an abundance of offensive line signings. I am alright with only bringing in 1 wr if it is the right one assuming we resign Anderson and enunwa though again I would expect a bunch of depth signings in that position as well. We might not have the high powered rams offense but I think we could at least make significant progress and put darnold in a real position to develop.

I won't be shocked. I'm not expecting a complete overhaul fo the offense at all.

Again, I'm expecting a new LG for sure, possibly a new C (depending on who's available), and a new starting WR (plus maybe another depth signing). But what that boils down to, in terms of starters, is 1 LG and 1 WR.

• At center: the most exciting possibility, however unlikely, would be if Matt Paradis became available (crazy he's still playing under a RFA tender at age 29 because he was initially waived, re-added initially on a reserve contract in 2015, and still only got a 2nd round RFA tender this past March). Elway was unable to get him to agree to an extension with him in August, but unless he gets injured again (really badly, though), I think the team will ultimately cave. If he's available - and if he doesn't turn us down - we should be all over him; year 1 there should be a net insignificant cost increase over keeping Long.
  • The reason I think they'll keep Long is he's got a $3m RB due in Feb; unless it becomes the worst-kept secret that Paradis isn't getting re-signed, Macc will either have to pay that RB or go into FA with a hole at the position (again). So much for the great contract structure narrative.

At receiver, the way things sit today I expect Anderson back as an RFA (just tendered but not extended, as is Macc's M.O.); plus an extension for one of Enunwa or Kearse (heavily leaning towards Enunwa) just to maintain familiarity with his young QB. My guess is it'll be Enunwa, and we'll pay a premium tax as usual for waiting until the last minute. Injuries and other shakeups in the 2nd half of this season can change that. 

On defense in FA:

• I see him adding an edge rusher (there are actually some names on that list and they're not all getting re-signed. Worst case scenario he will - or should - add an older one and draft another who'll come up through the pipeline to hopefully start by 2020 or the year after); 
  • possibly another starting OLB to replace Jenkins (who belongs in more of a supporting role than starting); 
  • a starting outside CB (unless he again brings back Claiborne on another 1 yr deal); CB list
  • a NB (think they'll look elsewhere instead of re-signing Skrine, but it's a possibility if Bowles also returns. He just loves that guy for some reason.)

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

It was Marrone. It all lined up. Marrone opting out of his Buff contract. Mcc signed Marrone to play QB back in the World league days. 

Woody got scared because of the Daily News hatchet job on Marrone because Marrone was buds w/Cannizzaro at the Post and afraid he’d get all the scoops. 

But anyway. What’s done is done. 

I don't remember the dates, but my recollection is the Marrone thing was already long dead and over before Maccagnan was hired. Signing him as a player once upon a time doesn't mean he was going to hire him as his HC. Maybe, maybe not. 

What's done is done, yes, but I wasn't the one bringing up the idea that Macc was saddled with Bowles from day one. As likely as not he'd have taken guidance from Casserly as much as anyone else. 

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Basically @Sperm Edwards wants every GM to do the perfect move every time. IE extend this guy early, move up to trade for this guy etc.

That's called nitpicking.

Stay with the general problems Maccagnan has had

-Drafted Hackenberg

-Did not keep Stewart or Hansen after drafting them last year.

-Signing Matt Forte 

We should all really be following your wisdom instead.

You're very smart, intellectually honest, and everyone likes you.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:27 PM, jetstream23 said:

How many good, very good or great players are there on this team?  Macc has now had what, 4 drafts and 4 free agency periods?  This roster is his and his alone.  He built it and it's his baby.  We're now at the point, with a 3-5 record, that either the players aren't good, the coaches aren't good or BOTH aren't good.  In all honesty, it is starting to look like that last one.

Name the Jets players who will make the Pro Bowl as either a 1st or 2nd team player?

Interesting thing about the trade deadline question - The reporters seemed to ask if the Jets were active on the phones trying to make a trade for anyone, maybe get a WR, etc.  Notice that nobody really said, "Were you receiving calls from other teams inquiring about your players and looking to grab some of the Jets stellar talent since you're at 3-5?"

Mac and Bowles are nice guys, and I've defended both up until now. The simple fact is that both have risen above the level of their competence. Todd Bowles is a DC. Mac is a guy under the GM who provides insight and info but should not be a final decision maker. Chris Johnson should be thinking about upgrading both GM and HC. The question is who is the upgrade. Both Bowles and Mac are competent enough to keep their jobs until you ID the upgrade. There is no need to fire either just to make a change. At the very least they've changed the Jets image from a circus to one of normalcy. They deserve some credit for that. But someone else will be steering the ship and chatting with Sam during timeouts when this team becomes the AFC powerhouse they are destined to be with Sam at QB.

I believe Sam knows this. Every time he gets behind the podium and says "we have to play better", I believe he is thinking "we have to get better players." 

Perhaps Eliot Wolf could be the next GM? 

I won't be shocked. I'm not expecting a complete overhaul fo the offense at all.
Again, I'm expecting a new LG for sure, possibly a new C (depending on who's available), and a new starting WR (plus maybe another depth signing). But what that boils down to, in terms of starters, is 1 LG and 1 WR.
  • At center: the most exciting possibility, however unlikely, would be if Matt Paradis became available (crazy he's still playing under a RFA tender at age 29 because he was initially waived, re-added initially on a reserve contract in 2015, and still only got a 2nd round RFA tender this past March). Elway was unable to get him to agree to an extension with him in August, but unless he gets injured again (really badly, though), I think the team will ultimately cave. If he's available - and if he doesn't turn us down - we should be all over him; year 1 there should be a net insignificant cost increase over keeping Long.
  • The reason I think they'll keep Long is he's got a $3m RB due in Feb; unless it becomes the worst-kept secret that Paradis isn't getting re-signed, Macc will either have to pay that RB or go into FA with a hole at the position (again). So much for the great contract structure narrative.
At receiver, the way things sit today I expect Anderson back as an RFA (just tendered but not extended, as is Macc's M.O.); plus an extension for one of Enunwa or Kearse (heavily leaning towards Enunwa) just to maintain familiarity with his young QB. My guess is it'll be Enunwa, and we'll pay a premium tax as usual for waiting until the last minute. Injuries and other shakeups in the 2nd half of this season can change that. 
On defense in FA:
  • I see him adding an edge rusher (there are actually some names on that list and they're not all getting re-signed. Worst case scenario he will - or should - add an older one and draft another who'll come up through the pipeline to hopefully start by 2020 or the year after); 
  • possibly another starting OLB to replace Jenkins (who belongs in more of a supporting role than starting); 
  • a starting outside CB (unless he again brings back Claiborne on another 1 yr deal); CB list
  • a NB (think they'll look elsewhere instead of re-signing Skrine, but it's a possibility if Bowles also returns. He just loves that guy for some reason.)

You might be right I think fowler is going to turn into our priority free agent signing if he is available at the end of the season macc really seems to want him. I could see us bringing Claiborne back on a one year deal and I think skrine will be replaced maybe by Nickerson a free agent who could slip right into that nb slot and probably a pipe dream would be dennard

On 11/1/2018 at 5:58 PM, bla bla bla said:

Hack was a Heimerdinger pick, you won’t find that in any article but I know that to be a fact.

That's a serious allegation, right there.  Can't imagine a single worse player evaluation than the one made by the Jets for Hackeburg.  Heimerdinger?  That's a scary thought considering so many people like him and would be fine with him getting a promotion after Mac gets his pink slip.  In the end, it was Mac's final decision regardless if Heimerdinger endorsed him.  I know there was a private workout they held.  Was Heimerdinger there with mac?

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

That's a serious allegation, right there.  Can't imagine a single worse player evaluation than the one made by the Jets for Hackeburg.  Heimerdinger?  That's a scary thought considering so many people like him and would be fine with him getting a promotion after Mac gets his pink slip.  In the end, it was Mac's final decision regardless if Heimerdinger endorsed him.  I know there was a private workout they held.  Was Heimerdinger there with mac?

I’ll make your skin crawl even more, Heimerdinger called a mystery person the night of the draft to confirm Hack was the right pick. That person was Jeremy Bates, hence why Bates was brought in to try and make something out of Hackenberg.

6 hours ago, MaxAF said:

I guess from Macs comment it’s what he expected. But it’s not what I was expecting year 3 into a rebuild. The Jets knew they needed an edge rusher and didn’t get one. They knew they needed an infusion of O-linemen and didn’t get any. They added Pryor and that seems to be a bust so far. They built up the secondary and they are currently ranked 20th. I could go on but I regress. 

If you want those O rankings to look better then you want McCown as your QB this yr. 

The O is being lead by a QB that’s played 8 NFL games.  He’s doing great. Hes just inexperienced 

It’s not like there’s an oversupply of edge rushers out there. Mcc’s trying. Look at all the guys they’ve brought in hoping to hit on one. 

On 11/2/2018 at 5:54 PM, bealeb319 said:

You might be right I think fowler is going to turn into our priority free agent signing if he is available at the end of the season macc really seems to want him. I could see us bringing Claiborne back on a one year deal and I think skrine will be replaced maybe by Nickerson a free agent who could slip right into that nb slot and probably a pipe dream would be dennard

We'll see; of course I don't know for sure, but I'm basing it on what I see as tendencies.

It would be great if Nickerson could slide in as a regular starter in 2019 but where we sit today it's a long shot. He kind of is slot-starting at the moment, but that's solely due to injuries plus lack of other depth rather than his own stellar play. When a team is coming off a crap season on pass D, and is sitting on a bunch of cap room, they don't typically forgo any improvements in FA and the draft to hand starting NB roles to 6th round 2nd yr players coming off a rough rookie year. He's fast as **** I'll give him that. Plus it's yet possible the light starts to go on in the 2nd half of the year as he gets more playing time (if he continues to get starter-level pt in the slot after Johnson returns). We'll see if Bowles/Rodgers sticks with him or if they slide Roberts inside full time with Johnson's return this week. Roberts supposedly has a bad back so it's unknown how that'll all pan out by Sunday or beyond. 

You think Fowler's going to be a FA so soon after he was acquired? IMO that's only going to happen if the Rams think he sucks. I think Suh is only on a 1-year deal so they could just slide Suh's DT bucks over to Fowler at end. Plus even though his 5th year option wasn't exercised by the Jags, the Rams could still FT him for a few million more than the $14m option yr have been. The FT might even be their best bet, too, before making a premature longer-term commitment to him or letting him go. 

Also I forgot about Anderson; I think they'll bring him back. The problem with all these guys we think he'd like to bring back, but are scheduled to become UFAs after the season, is absent going way overboard to keep them from testing FA (like with Winters), why would they? I know we're flush with space, but so many teams have so much cumulative cap room the only way of incentivizing them to re-sign here before testing FA is to extend them now not the first week of March. Do it while they still are risking injury before cashing in. Once that risk is gone, so goes their incentive to take one cent less than the highest bidder amount as a FA.

And this is the part of the game Maccagnan has not only been oblivious to in the past, but is an area he's still shown zero growth in to this day. Unless he wants to let all his UFAs go, he should be locking up whichever ones he can right now. 

Also I forgot about Anderson; I think they'll bring him back. The problem with all these guys we think he'd like to bring back, but are scheduled to become UFAs after the season, is absent going way overboard to keep them from testing FA (like with Winters), why would they? I know we're flush with space, but so many teams have so much cumulative cap room the only way of incentivizing them to re-sign here before testing FA is to extend them now not the first week of March. Do it while they still are risking injury before cashing in. Once that risk is gone, so goes their incentive to take one cent less than the highest bidder amount as a FA.
And this is the part of the game Maccagnan has not only been oblivious to in the past, but is an area he's still shown zero growth in to this day. Unless he wants to let all his UFAs go, he should be locking up whichever ones he can right now. 

It might be hard to resign these guys coming off injuries too from their side. I am sure their agents advise against taking a new contract right after being injured it is simply bad business, sure there is risk involved with having them play out the rest of the year and than going into free agency but every catch and touchdown they make and stay healthy for is extra money in their pocket long term.

11 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I’ll make your skin crawl even more, Heimerdinger called a mystery person the night of the draft to confirm Hack was the right pick. That person was Jeremy Bates, hence why Bates was brought in to try and make something out of Hackenberg.

What was the Bates connection to Hackenberg?

So even after the Jets secret private workout at PSU w/Mcc, Gailey, QB coach Patullo, Bowles and a couple of other Jets scouts and then Hack's visit to florham park, they STILL needed to call a "mystery man" Friday night to sway/confirm the pick? Really?

20 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Mac and Bowles are nice guys, and I've defended both up until now. The simple fact is that both have risen above the level of their competence. Todd Bowles is a DC. Mac is a guy under the GM who provides insight and info but should not be a final decision maker. Chris Johnson should be thinking about upgrading both GM and HC. The question is who is the upgrade. Both Bowles and Mac are competent enough to keep their jobs until you ID the upgrade. There is no need to fire either just to make a change. At the very least they've changed the Jets image from a circus to one of normalcy. They deserve some credit for that. But someone else will be steering the ship and chatting with Sam during timeouts when this team becomes the AFC powerhouse they are destined to be with Sam at QB.

I believe Sam knows this. Every time he gets behind the podium and says "we have to play better", I believe he is thinking "we have to get better players." 

can't argue with this.  they have the qb and while bowles/mac have been so-so there's no point in blowing it up again until we see if there's improvement and if there are people available.  and maybe woody and co will finally realize their heirarchy is bad and they need a solid football guy to oversee everything.

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

What was the Bates connection to Hackenberg?

So even after the Jets secret private workout at PSU w/Mcc, Gailey, QB coach Patullo, Bowles and a couple of other Jets scouts and then Hack's visit to florham park, they STILL needed to call a "mystery man" Friday night to sway/confirm the pick? Really?

Yup, and Bowles was completely against the pick saying "this pick is not on me"

Don't have to believe it but I wouldn't make that up out of thin air.

5 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

It might be hard to resign these guys coming off injuries too from their side. I am sure their agents advise against taking a new contract right after being injured it is simply bad business, sure there is risk involved with having them play out the rest of the year and than going into free agency but every catch and touchdown they make and stay healthy for is extra money in their pocket long term.

I don't expect a 50% discount (though we could have gotten just that with Winters if he'd planned ahead and used his leverage before tossing it in the trash like he always does). It'd have to be a competitive offer at this point; just not quite the same level offer they'd get as full FAs. The give and take is proportional to the risk assumed by the side making the risk; that's normal. 

If they're coming off injuries they still have to sign somewhere. Or do you think I only narrowly mean specifically to extend Enunwa now because he's injured? That wasn't what I was saying. I'm saying extend him now before his more serious injury risk is behind him. Any players he wants for next year should be signed before they escape the rest of the season injury-free. 

Players take sure money when they can get it. I don't think Enunwa is likely to bet on a major 2nd half surge in yards dramatically changing his contract. That is, unless he thinks he's in the $14m range, in which case he'll want to bet on the 2nd half of this season since he hasn't nearly shown he's worth that level deal in his entire career up to now. 

What bugs me is this stuff rarely stays quiet, so if we're really reaching out to all players he wants back, to gauge their demands at this point, we'd have heard about it with at least one of them by now. So it's not just that no one's been extended; it's that it doesn't seem he's even asking. 

21 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Great post man. Well said. 

I can't hate him for not making a trade on the deadline we have some large needs and cant afford to give up the draft capital for an 8 game fix. I still think he has done a decent job bringing talent to the team through free agency and trades in his time with us and I would like to at least see one years worth of his efforts with a competent coaching staff before completely writing him off as a side not though I didn't hate Idzick either.

The NFL has never been as trade-happy as it is now, yet the Jets had no players any other GM wanted. That’s bad. Really bad. Considering Macc was talking about the offseason already, we should have been in sellers’ mode, not buyers. Yet we have no one anyone wants.

“Decent job” bringing talent to this team? 4 years in and we’re closer to being headed for a top 5–10 pick again than we are of being a playoff contender. That’s also bad, really bad.

Fire Bowles and not Macc, and all you’ll see is the new HC struggling with this band of bottom-level talent + free agent mercenaries. Even if we could convince a strong coach to come here it wouldn’t make much difference. We need talent far more than we need better X’s and O’s.

I'm going to answer my own question.  I'd say several good players, a few very good, and no great players.  The few very good are all on Defense....Adams, Leo, maybe T. Johnson.  Darnold is an unknown at this point but seriously, how many players on the Jets would other teams be interested in acquiring??  The Jets can't dangle a Patrick Peterson out there as trade bait, they don't have a Kahlil Mack, Golden Tate, Amari Cooper, etc. that teams are looking for.  

Yep. All of this.

Macc is not to blame for not having players other teams want, guys. We’re rebuilding!

Archived