Le'Veon Bell, Yes Or No?

KRL

6 minutes ago, rammagen said:

you can still draft that stud as well. we have the money who are we going to spend money on?

This is what people don't understand. Last time the Jets had big dollars they gave Revis 17 million. We don't need a CB, WE NEED OFFENSIVE STUDS to help out our what will be 22 year old QB in 2019 & Le'veon Bell is AVAILABLE! 

The edge rushers people keep typing Lawrence, Clowney, are most likely not going to be available. There are ZERO left tackles available in next years free agency worth big dollars. You want Jet fans in their seats at MetLife next year? Sign Bell, sign Tyrell Williams, sign 2 2nd level pass rushers, draft another stud WR & a bunch of Oline. 

Be the most excitement around here since 1998. 

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

Here's a reasonable off-season plan:

- Tender Robby Anderson at a first round rate

- Re-sign Quincy Enunwa

- Sign Le'Veon Bell

- Sign Devin Funchess
  http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2977609/devin-funchess  

- The goal should be to sign Jadeveon Clowney, if that doesn't work out
sign Dee Ford or a combo of Dante Fowler & Shane Ray

- With our first three picks select a LT, G and WR 

I love Tyrell Williams upside, Esiason has been beating that drum & I agree. T.Williams, Quincy, Anderson, Stud rookie, Herndon, Bell, Crowell, McGuire? Get me some tickets for that show!

28 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Clear as day.  4-2-1 vs 13-3.  They haven't missed him a bit!  Conner is actually a nice player, but his success shouldn't diminish Bell.  Certainly not to the level you are at.  The Steelers haven't paid him because they basically can't afford to.  I get worrying about giving him too much, but can you tell me who you are saving this money for? 

So your argument is basically "we might as well spend the money so why not?"

And the Steelers record is 100% about their defense and anybody who has followed them should know that.

8 minutes ago, KRL said:

Here's a reasonable off-season plan:

- Tender Robby Anderson at a first round rate

- Re-sign Quincy Enunwa

- Sign Le'Veon Bell

- Sign Devin Funchess
  http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2977609/devin-funchess  

- The goal should be to sign Jadeveon Clowney, if that doesn't work out
sign Dee Ford or a combo of Dante Fowler & Shane Ray

- With our first three picks select a LT, G and WR 

I would tender Robby at a 2nd! If you could sign John Brown for the same dollars as Robby Anderson, I'd take a 2nd & John Brown EASILY!

33 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Fair enough. How much would you pay Gurley? Or are you just opposed to paying RB's big money, which is understandable.

Here's the thing -- I think RB is inherently a complimentary piece in today's NFL and I believe that high quality RBs are easily found in the draft.

So, on a team like the Rams that are stacked and poised for a Super Bowl run I understand paying Gurley -- he's a stud playmaker and workhorse and their window is now.

On a team like the Jets, who have bad wide receivers and a bad offensive line I just think paying a RB is a waste of money.

Look at David Johnson. Cardinals paid him a ton of money... And... They suck. He's totally ineffective and makes zero difference on that offense. Why? Bad offensive line, lack of weapons, rookie QB.

Look at Saquon. Dynamic playmaker who makes zero difference because of a terrible offensive line and terrible QB play.

Leveon Bell on this Jets team is Saquon (at best) or Johnson (at worst) -- hugely paid guy who is ineffective because RBs need the right environment to succeed in today's NFL.

35 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

NO!! Hes a cancer and Conner has shown that RB numbers are inflated in Pitt because of their offense. He will disappoint here and have a huge opportunity cost for other players. We need to draft a stud 22, 23 year old in the draft.

He really isn't a cancer at all. He was never a drama queen when he played. He is holding out. You can question his motives, but let's not act like he hurts his team with his on field antics like Odell/Dez. 

The issue is that we need to help Darnold and the free agent pool looks loaded on defense and not much on offense. I wouldn't give Bell a long term deal but I think he can still be elite for another 2-3 years. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He really isn't a cancer at all. He was never a drama queen when he played. He is holding out. You can question his motives, but let's not act like he hurts his team with his on field antics like Odell/Dez. 

The issue is that we need to help Darnold and the free agent pool looks loaded on defense and not much on offense. I wouldn't give Bell a long term deal but I think he can still be elite for another 2-3 years. 

Before this hold-out he was really well-liked by his teammates.  Very confident but not a locker-room cancer by any means.

20 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

So your argument is basically "we might as well spend the money so why not?"

And the Steelers record is 100% about their defense and anybody who has followed them should know that.

It isn't we might as well spend the money.  It is approaching we have to spend the money.  If we had studs to reup (like the Steelers have had) it might make sense to pass.   Those millions don't belong with Shell, Enunwa or Williams. 

And Conner's production is also related to that defense.  

16 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

See, I think Ben, Antonio Brown, and JuJu make him what he is. I don't think he's a transformative player for the Jets.

Smith=Schuster is in his 2nd year.  how much influence did he have in 2016 when Bell averaged 106 per over 12 games at almost  5 ypc?  

14 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He's not even holding out.  The Steelers are/were ******* him.  They franchised him in 2017 and rode him like a rented mule.  They were trying to use him up.  They franchised him again and he hasn't signed the tender, so he is not under contract and has nothing to "hold out" from.  I think he will report before November 13, so that he will get a higher salary if they elect to franchise him for 2019.    

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get the idea that free agency is fickle and that RB is not a committee position, but the safety market is not a valid comparator IMO. I think Gurley and Barkley kind of reset the market.  The idea that Bell equates with Kenny Vaccaro, Eric Reid or Tre Boston is also a bit much for me.

The about RBs is when they drop off they drop off fast.  Also that position maybe more than any other you can find great backs later and not pay them alot. 

Hard Pass.  The cap space fallacy is in full effect here.  We have the fewest players under contract next year and we have a ton of holes to begin with. 

On top of that no running back is worth what Bell is going to get to this Jets team.  We are two or three good years of rebuilding before we could be a legit deep playoff run team IMO.  We would have an expensive approximately 30 year old RB at that point.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The about RBs is when they drop off they drop off fast.  Also that position maybe more than any other you can find great backs later and not pay them alot. 

Agreed.  You can, but we have not.  I think we should be considering Bell.  I don't want us to mortgage off the future, but I don't see the purpose in saving money to spend on special teams ILBs.  In my opinion, Bell @ $15M per > Jermaine Kearse @ $5M per.

5 minutes ago, Bergen Jet said:

Hard Pass.  The cap space fallacy is in full effect here.  We have the fewest players under contract next year and we have a ton of holes to begin with. 

On top of that no running back is worth what Bell is going to get to this Jets team.  We are two or three good years of rebuilding before we could be a legit deep playoff run team IMO.  We would have an expensive approximately 30 year old RB at that point.

If we are 2 years from being a legit playoff team everybody MUST be fired.  If you gave me a blank roster and he 15th pick in every round, I would expect to have a legit roster within 3 years or be gone.  If these pricks still need that much time they HAVE to go.  We should consider that there will be a new CBA coming in 2 years.  The whole thing may blow up.  Make your move now. 

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

NO !!!

I agree completely with this. I pass on 27 year old running backs with issues.  He is a prima donna and we just dont need this dude in the locker room. It seems that Pittsburgh's running game is going just fine without him and his attitude. 

Spend the money on 2 quality offensive linemen and a "name" edge rusher. But not a running back.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Normally I would pass on a RB in free agency, particularly one who's going to demand
a huge contract.  But with the amount of cap space we're going to have and the impact 
Bell can have on Darnold and the offense I'm warming to the idea:

Pros

- One of the best RB's in the game with absurd production
  http://www.nfl.com/player/le'veonbell/2540175/profile

- Bell would only be 27 going into the 2019 season, giving us three years before the "magic"
age of 30.  A front loaded contract with the majority of $$$ paid out in the first 3 years
would protect the cap

- He sat out this year which means he's saved a year of wear & tear on his legs

- An average over 4 every time he runs the ball and an average over 8 every time he catches
the ball

- He catches the ball out of the backfield like a WR

- Bell would make Darnold's job easier because the defense would focus on him.  They would bring
an extra man into the box and leave WR's in single coverage.  The screen game would become
devastating and the play action pass would be so much more effective

Cons

- Bell's had drug issues in the past and has been suspended

- I respect him for taking a stand on his contract and passing on 800K a week.  But that
stand (selfishness?) has caused a lot of turmoil in PIT, would he pull that here?  Could
we see Revis type of whining about his contract in the future?

you can pay three OL for whe'll pay him, do that

Yes to Bell.

I normally HATE fraud agency... especially when it clearly involves grossly overpaying.

But the Jets need a chain-mover.   An offensive centerpiece.   The "3 and outs" are just devastating.   They need a player that can pick up first downs constantly... as a runner AND a receiver.  Bell can catch 80 balls and total 1800 yards from scrimmage in a season.  Combine him with a power back, like Crow to keep him fresh... and Darnold and the Jets are in business.  Playaction, checkdowns, everything opens up.

Le'V solves the problem of 3 and outs.   I trust signing him more than some defensive player or a guard that his former team let walk.

I am on board with forking out the cash for Le'V, believe it or not...

• Sympathy 1

I’ve done a 180 on this over the last few months. Imagine having a playmaker defenses have to game plan against? Imagine how it could open up the offense for Sam? 

The fact is all of our OL is under contract next year except Carpenter, and there aren’t any all-pro WRs in this FA class. Target Bell, target a pass rusher, resign our own guys - Enunwa, Claiborne, Kearse...and let’s finally address OL in the draft 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Normally I would pass on a RB in free agency, particularly one who's going to demand
a huge contract.  But with the amount of cap space we're going to have and the impact 

Pros

- Bell would only be 27 going into the 2019 season, giving us three years before the "magic"
age of 30.  A front loaded contract with the majority of $$$ paid out in the first 3 years
would protect the cap

- An average over 4 every time he runs the ball and an average over 8 every time he catches
the ball

- Bell would make Darnold's job easier because the defense would focus on him.  They would bring
an extra man into the box and leave WR's in single coverage.  The screen game would become

Cons

- I respect him for taking a stand on his contract and passing on 800K a week.  But that
stand (selfishness?) has caused a lot of turmoil in PIT, would he pull that here?  Could

Not without addressing the OL first, 

45 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It isn't we might as well spend the money.  It is approaching we have to spend the money.  If we had studs to reup (like the Steelers have had) it might make sense to pass.   Those millions don't belong with Shell, Enunwa or Williams. 

There are simply smarter players to pay than a running back.

And Conner's production is also related to that defense.  

If you say so.

Smith=Schuster is in his 2nd year.  how much influence did he have in 2016 when Bell averaged 106 per over 12 games at almost  5 ypc?  

Don't be dense. The argument is that his production is largely the result of stellar talent on that offense. JuJu is one piece of that. The reality is the Steelers have excelled at drafting and developing wide receivers for a decade, have an excellent offensive line and a Hall of Famer at QB.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

you can pay three OL for whe'll pay him, do that

Have you seen the price of o-line now?? You absolutely are not getting 3 o-line players for $15-$16mil per. They cost that individually now if they are really good and hit FA. 

I’d MUCH rather spend on o-line as well but it’s looking pretty terrible this offseason and teams aren’t letting good o-line players leave. Bell should ONLY be an option once we know who is actually going to be available. Good o-line players as #1 priority and passrusher/offense weapons 2nd priority.

If there are no o-lineman to be had(which would cost $10mil/per minimum) is those funds instead on offensive weapons. Just my rationale/opinion. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Pros

would protect the cap

the ball

Cons

no

nope.

noooooooooooooooooooo

EL NO

im having the same argument on twitter... age. wear and tear. injuries. out of football since 2017... hell no. we got 100 milly yes, but also no one under contract next year. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Those saying no: who are you spending money on instead? 

everything else!

Every player we sign gets a signing bonus, first year money blah blah -- that 100 million will disappear in no time. Nooooooo Time. we have 20 something players on contract next year. 

Voice of reasons says Bell is not happening. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Paradis said:

everything else!

Every player we sign gets a signing bonus, first year money blah blah -- that 100 million will disappear in no time. Nooooooo Time. we have 20 something players on contract next year. 

I agree and the only way a move like this happens is if there is literally nothing in FA on Oline and WR and it’s a desperation move to give Sam SOMETHING rather than nothing at all. I can see it happen only because FA is so bad this year.

We will burn through most of that cap space anyways resigning our own and overpaying a decent passrusher anyways. I hope we get lucky with a bunch of value signings as usual and fill multiple holes and build Oline depth. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

everything else!

I can buy he isn't happening and maybe he shouldn't, but like Cousins, we'd be idiots not to kick the tires.  He is worth a big deal. This team is paying $1M to Matt Forte this year.  The idea that we should stay away from Bell is ridiculous.  People love to say we should spend on Oline or pass rusher, but who are these guys?  Clowney probably isn't coming and his price will be higher.  Would you rather spend on Shane Ray? I would certainly take Bell over two Brian Winters.  It will come down to who is available. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1