Le'Veon Bell, Yes Or No?

KRL

These arguments are DUMB! 

Take a look at the olineman available in free agency next year (non one worth big money). Nothing but 2nd tier question marks will be available at pass rusher, Barr (maybe) Ford (maybe) Fowler, Ray, none are ELITE but will want big dollars. 

Sign ELITE players & wait for the price to come down on fill ins. Maybe we get lucky with a 1st round olineman? If you have an average oline, make it difficult to defend your weapons by having them at every level on offense!

• Sympathy 1

Leaning towards yes, but it's close.  The fact that Conner is replicating his production hurts him - and maybe brings down his cost.  

I'm skeptical of spending so big on an RB.  But looking at next year's FAs there aren't a lot of legit offensive playmakers.  Bell may be the best receiver to hit FA and he also happens to be a good RB.  

• Upvote 1

If we do something like this in free agency, we can address our skill positions AND
the OLine.  And with "creative accounting" $100 million won't evaporate quickly:

- Tender Robby Anderson at a first round rate

- Re-sign Quincy Enunwa

- Sign Le'Veon Bell

- Sign Devin Funchess
  http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2977609/devin-funchess  

- The goal should be to sign Jadeveon Clowney, if that doesn't work out
sign Dee Ford or a combo of Dante Fowler & Shane Ray

- With our first three picks select a LT, G and WR 

26 minutes ago, Paradis said:

everything else!

Every player we sign gets a signing bonus, first year money blah blah -- that 100 million will disappear in no time. Nooooooo Time. we have 20 something players on contract next year. 

Voice of reasons says Bell is not happening. 

Fraud agency is almost always a failure.  Look over the lists of the top 25 for the past few years.  Most turn out to be total wastes.  You'll find some bargains after the top 25...

Le'Veon Bell will change this team like the other overpaid stiffs in April simpy can't.

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I can buy he isn't happening and maybe he shouldn't, but like Cousins, we'd be idiots not to kick the tires.  He is worth a big deal. This team is paying $1M to Matt Forte this year.  The idea that we should stay away from Bell is ridiculous.  People love to say we should spend on Oline or pass rusher, but who are these guys?  Clowney probably isn't coming and his price will be higher.  Would you rather spend on Shane Ray? I would certainly take Bell over two Brian Winters.  It will come down to who is available. 

All true and good points. It's not that we need to stay away from bell, but i just think we can approach the offseason turning bell into somekind of trophy... Look at it this way... we have like less than 30 players under contract. So minus draft picks, you're looking at least 15 players than need to be signed... there's so much work to be done and we want to actually improve the team, then some of those 15 are going have to be better than JAGs... can we afford to sign bell to a 5 year 75 million dollar contract with 40 guaranteed, 25 upfront? like honestly? that dude that isn't that good. Not at 27 and not having played a down since 2017 and finished mulitple years on IR.

that's just not us right now. 

Fraud agency is almost always a failure.  Look over the lists of the top 25 for the past few years.  Most turn out to be total wastes.  You'll find some bargains after the top 25...

Le'Veon Bell will change this team like the other overpaid stiffs in April simpy can't.

disagree. He's not going to be L. Bell of 2016. He hasn't played ball since 2017, he plays a position that is high wear and tear, injury history and all that. Fck man... no thanks. if he was 25 and this was a couple years ago... i guess. But like Cousins, fck that noise. We spend that money elsewhere. 

He's not coming here regardless IMO. He's angling for money and a ring. 

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Yes.  100%.  If you cant draft them, buy them.  This team is unwatchable and gambling on Mac's drafting ability is one of the worst bets out there. 

Bell is Todd Gurley.  They're the same dude.  Do you think Jared Goff benefits from having Todd Gurley on his team? 

This is supposed to be what starting an $8m/year QB frees up, instead of a veteran (e.g. Cousins). It means you can guarantee Bell $15m for the next 2 seasons and it feels like zero (with change leftover).

Think they'd have to trade Crowell, though. While you pay a RB that much it means your other two are either on their rookie contracts or making the vet minimum. Even beyond the money, even though it'd help to make Bell last longer, it wouldn't be good for team cohesion to have Crowell pissed about his carries being dropped by 70% with no more guaranteed $ left. He'd be at risk for getting cut at the end of August that year or the year after.  He wasn't so big on splitting time in Cleveland either when he thought it'd affect his contract. He'll only be 26 himself, making $4m, with a couple big games on a bad offense; someone will be interested.

He's the only elite offensive player that will be available in free agency.  If the Jets fail to get him it would be a huge mistake.  We can't have one of those, "we were really interested but the price got too high".  That seems to be the theme of this front office.  The Jets should not allow themselves to get outbid and if they do Macc should be fired.  Macc got bailed out after messing up the Cousins deal this off-season.  He should have made it impossible for Cousins to sign elsewhere if that was their plan A (I'm not saying I agree with him being plan A). He lucked into Darnold and at that point he got lucky a team like the Bills didn't jump up to 3 and take him.  It's time to be aggressive!  I'm tired of running average RB's out there, and that's what Powell and Crowell are. 

disagree. He's not going to be L. Bell of 2016. He hasn't played ball since 2017, he plays a position that is high wear and tear, injury history and all that. Fck man... no thanks. if he was 25 and this was a couple years ago... i guess. But like Cousins, fck that noise. We spend that money elsewhere.  He's not coming here regardless IMO. He's angling for money and a ring. 

In the same sentence you are complaining about wear and tear and that he took last year off. Do these two arguments really go together?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I've been super ANTI- Bell.  But OP is correct that if it helps Sam Darnold then I could get on board.  

My biggest concern is his enormous independence, he's not a company guy.  Good for him but he could certainly be a Shaun Gilbert/Revis distraction.

But getting elite talent for a team that has none and taking pressure off of Sam is more important than anything else. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He's the only elite offensive player that will be available in free agency.  If the Jets fail to get him it would be a huge mistake.  We can't have one of those, "we were really interested but the price got too high".  That seems to be the theme of this front office.  The Jets should not allow themselves to get outbid and if they do Macc should be fired.  Macc got bailed out after messing up the Cousins deal this off-season.  He should have made it impossible for Cousins to sign elsewhere if that was their plan A (I'm not saying I agree with him being plan A). He lucked into Darnold and at that point he got lucky a team like the Bills didn't jump up to 3 and take him.  It's time to be aggressive!  I'm tired of running average RB's out there, and that's what Powell and Crowell are. 

When you have 100 million, the argument from Jet fans is "no way am I spending that money on a RB", but you don't say something like this unless you 1st take a look at the free agent class of 2019. Its not good. So what do you do? You go after what you can get & you surround your FQB with PLAYMAKERS! You sign Bell, and you look to sign one of the best WRs available, whether that's Tyrell Williams, Devin Funchess, John Brown, I could give a damn because ant 1 of those guys is as good or better than Q & Robbie. At least then you have an ELITE RB, and 4 above average WRs from 1-4! I'd snag another at #1 too, if the LTs or Edge rushers there are below value. BOPA for Sammy. You can  slowly bring your prized rookie WR along if you've already got a FA, Q & Robbie, plus I think Burnett surprises & becomes a low cost chain mover & Herndon is our answer at TE. 

That's a damn good group of talent! And with Bell, Crowell, McGuire & Cannon, a creative OC to do some crazy sh*t running from RPO. A lot of distracting movement, roll outs, reverses, screens, I mean Le'veon Bell has proven in his career if he flashes out of the backfield, SOMEBODY better go follow him! Darnold would be feasting with multiple options, including tucking it in & running for an easy 8-10 yards. You have Tyrell Williams, Quincy, Anderson & an AJ Brown or K'neal Harry running routes and Herndon at TE with Bell in the backfield? 

PRIMETIME GAMES FOR THAT BUNCH!

• Upvote 1

With the plan I outlined before our starting offense would be:

LT - #1 draft pick
LG - #3 draft pick
C -  Long
RG - Winters 
RT - Shell

TE - Herndon

WR - Enunwa, Funchess, Anderson

QB - Darnold

RB - Bell

• Sympathy 1

We also have to take into account that the 100 mil we have will be much less after we fill the roster. for 2019 I think we only have like 29 players currently under contract. Having said that, if it can be done then we should be all over it. We have no elite players on this roster right now there isn't one player other teams have to plan a strategy around. We are like year 4 into Macs rebuild and still have arguably the worst roster in the league apart from Oakland 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is supposed to be what starting an $8m/year QB frees up, instead of a veteran (e.g. Cousins). It means you can guarantee Bell $15m for the next 2 seasons and it feels like zero (with change leftover).

Think they'd have to trade Crowell, though. While you pay a RB that much it means your other two are either on their rookie contracts or making the vet minimum. Even beyond the money, even though it'd help to make Bell last longer, it wouldn't be good for team cohesion to have Crowell pissed about his carries being dropped by 70% with no more guaranteed $ left. He'd be at risk for getting cut at the end of August that year or the year after.  He wasn't so big on splitting time in Cleveland either when he thought it'd affect his contract. He'll only be 26 himself, making $4m, with a couple big games on a bad offense; someone will be interested.

100%....why else are waiting collecting all this cap money.  Got to do something with it.  The Rams are figuring it out...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If Macc had drafted Hunt or Kamara we wouldn't be talking about Bell.....but....he didn't.

Yes, no one is more well aware of that fact than yours truly. (that might actually be an accurate statement)

Look, i'm not saying Bell is terrible or couldn't help us or under certain circumstances wouldn't be great... If I'm the GM tho, i'm just not going to give it much of my time. We're going to be LOW on his wish list (like Cousins), there's some red flags that don't make this a slam dunk, and although we have some money, it's actually going to be difficult to sign enough quality players to field 53 next year and improve team.

The Jets problems are bigger than Bell. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

no

nope.

noooooooooooooooooooo

EL NO

im having the same argument on twitter... age. wear and tear. injuries. out of football since 2017... hell no. we got 100 milly yes, but also no one under contract next year. 

The Jets will have 34 players under contract for 2019, that includes RFA's and ERFA's.  They also have 7 draft picks, lets say 5 make the team then that brings them to 39 players.  Here are the Jets free agents that I would bring back next year:

Enunwa

McClendon

Claiborne

D. Roberts

Kearse

Qvale

Ijalana

A. Roberts

J. Martin

Copeland

Harrison

H. Anderson

The Jets have $106 million in cap space next year.  Re-signing these guys wouldn't even take $50 in cap space for next season.  They will have plenty of money to go after some big fish this off-season.  The Jets would have to structure all of these contracts to be unloadable after 4 seasons when Darnold would need to get paid again.  Here are some of those guys:

Offense:

HB Bell

WR Cobb/Funchess/Tate/T. Williams

Defense:

Edge: Ansah/Lawrence/Brandon Graham/Fowler/Clowney/Barr/Barrett/Ford

I'd sign Bell and Funchess or T. Williams on offense.  On defense I'd sign one of Ansah/Lawrence/Clowney/Ford.  Hopefully 1 of them become available on the market.  Then I'd bring in one of Graham/Fowler/Barr and Barrett as a mid tier signing.  The Jets could definitely do that if Macc gets aggressive.

• Upvote 3

I almost think they have to.  What other offensive playmakers are there out there that can make a difference?  Im all for building through the draft but we need one sure fire impact playmaker.
Eifert is a name that sticks out to me the kid can play when he is healthy unfortunately he has a long history of injuries. Claiborne had a long injury history and has been a solid addition these passed two years I would take a flier on eifert at the right price and see if he can stay healthy in our uniform and run two tight end sets with Herndon maybe.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

All good thoughts on Le'V and Crow logistics.  I would really, really try to find a financial way to make it work.  Crow is the ideal complimentary power back for Bell.   Keep Bell fresh... and hammer with Crow who has shown the burst to bust the long ones to finish opponents.

If Bowles stays, which is a big question mark, and is dedicated to the run game which he is, then we need a high powered RB. Aside from Crowell’s big game the run game hasn’t been well established. However, the Jets need some high impact wide receivers for Sam to throw to, at least 1 edge rusher, preferably 2, and some O-line depth.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

All good thoughts on Le'V and Crow combo.  I would really, really try to find a financial way to make it work.  Crow is the ideal complimentary power back for Bell.   Keep Bell fresh... and hammer with Crow occasionally who has shown the burst to bust the long ones to finish opponents.

I don't think Bell would mind Crowell smashing his way through tired defenses in the 4th quarter of games as long as he's getting paid. Crowell, McGuire & Cannon would be a nice 4 back group. Love to see what a creative OC could do with Cannon as a breather for Bell & a guy you can put in motion & spread out a defense. Especially if you've got talent all over at the WR group. Kearse needs to be upgraded & Funchess, T.Williams or J.Brown are all upgrades.

5 minutes ago, jack48 said:

A big, fat NO.  This guy deserted his team for a year  to pan for gold.  Who wants to be in a foxhole with him?

Oh stop, this isn't your fathers NFL and it damn sure should never be compared to war, lol.

22 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Jets will have 34 players under contract for 2019, that includes RFA's and ERFA's.  They also have 7 draft picks, lets say 5 make the team then that brings them to 39 players.  Here are the Jets free agents that I would bring back next year:

Enunwa

McClendon

Claiborne

D. Roberts

Kearse

Qvale

Ijalana

A. Roberts

J. Martin

Copeland

Harrison

H. Anderson

The Jets have $106 million in cap space next year.  Re-signing these guys wouldn't even take $50 in cap space for next season.  They will have plenty of money to go after some big fish this off-season.  The Jets would have to structure all of these contracts to be unloadable after 4 seasons when Darnold would need to get paid again.  Here are some of those guys:

Offense:

HB Bell

Defense:

I'd sign Bell and Funchess or T. Williams on offense.  On defense I'd sign one of Ansah/Lawrence/Clowney/Ford.  Hopefully 1 of them become available on the market.  Then I'd bring in one of Graham/Fowler/Barr and Barrett as a mid tier signing.  The Jets could definitely do that if Macc gets aggressive.

RFA and ERFA contracts cost money.  Robby Anderson will cost at least $3M himself.  The draft picks have to budgeted - I think over $7M. even to get to your 39 players, you will be down at least $10M. 

I'm not in favor of signing Bell.  Too many other needs.  Such as:

LT - Donovan (25 years old)

Guard - Quinton Spain (27)

Running Back - Tevin Coleman (25)

WR - Devin Funchess (24)

OLB - Anthony Barr (26)

DT - Grady Jarrett (25)

What do all of these guys have in common besides all being 27 or under?  They all play for teams that have QB's who will have at least a $22mm cap hit next year.  Those teams need to be raided..

As of today, the Jets have $107mm in cap space next year.  That's before cutting Beachum and Long which will add an additional $14.5mm  Let the raiding begin!

• Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, jack48 said:

A big, fat NO.  This guy deserted his team for a year  to pan for gold.  Who wants to be in a foxhole with him?

This is an unfair label. 

That team slapped him with a franchise friendly tag for a 2nd year in a row.   The running back position is the most financially screwed of any in the league.  They are drafted, literally run into the ground on their rookie deal, then told they have too many miles on them to get paid when they are finally free from that rookie contract.   The team's view these days is, "we can just draft another one."

What if Bell signed his tender... than got hurt like Earl Thomas?  He gets his $9M for the tag... instead of the tens of millions he probably will get in April.

This team first narrative is unfair... ESPECIALLY for a running back.

The only argument against Bell is if you believe the Steelers offered him a reasonable market deal and he turned it down. 

Enunwa
McClendon
Claiborne
D. Roberts
Kearse
Qvale
Ijalana
A. Roberts
J. Martin
Copeland
Harrison
H. Anderson

Offense:
HB Bell

Defense:

Except that some of those 34 you penciled in - suck. Some will cut or replaced in some capacity. Each significant FA signing will take a big bite out of that money. People are naively looking at Bell as a 15 mil investment... that’s totally disregarding signing bonuses and upfront money. You want to spend a 1/4 of our FA play money on a back who didn’t play this year before we even sniff extensions and our Oline and pass rush?

Hell no in my books

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

sign him for big $$ and watch him get stuffed cos the OL is overrun= foolishness

Le'Veon Bell can catch 80 balls in a season.  He won't be getting stuffed.  His ability to catch the ball causes all kinds of problems for a defense.  The front 7 can't just "sit on the run" or he will kill them as a receiver.  If they worry about him as a receiver, it opens up holes for him to run through.  If the STH's want to spend more time saying "First down!"... Le'V is the best possible addition to this team.

Unless of course you 'd rather overpay for a Trumaine Johnson.   Me?  I'll take a Curtis Martin.  

There is no Kevin Mawae.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

I'm not in favor of signing Bell.  Too many other needs.  Such as:

LT - Donovan (25 years old)

Guard - Quinton Spain (27)

Running Back - Tevin Coleman (25)

WR - Devin Funchess (24)

OLB - Anthony Barr (26)

DT - Grady Jarrett (25)

What do all of these guys have in common besides all being 27 or under?  They all play for teams that have QB's who will have at least a $22mm cap hit next year.  Those teams need to be raided..

As of today, the Jets have $107mm in cap space next year.  That's before cutting Beachum and Long which will add an additional $14.5mm  Let the raiding begin!

Let's see how many of these guys are actually available. It's not like the Jets are the only team with cap dollars. And because they are under 27 I wouldn't be shocked if every single one of them is resigned. Not some murderers row of eliteness in that group.