Le'Veon Bell, Yes Or No?

KRL

Young QB's are only helped by good RB's with Bell's talents. Signing him shouldn't preclude them from improving themselves elsewhere and the opportunities to do so aren't guaranteed anyway. If the Jets have a chance to sign him they should take it, just be sure to have an out on the contract.

I offer him 3 years 50 million, with two years guaranteed and leave it at that. Nobody else should be putting up that kind of cash.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

On the other hand when we give Crowell 10-15 carries Bell can line up in the slot which is what makes him so versatile. We can get very creative with the offense and I'm sure Bell would not balk if Crowell took some carries away if we wanted to get Bell more involved in the passing game it would certainly take some wear and tear off Bell which would prolong his career both players have a nose for the goal line and would be a huge handful for any defense in the red zone with both of them on the field. The Possibilities are endless and yes I would pay for that versatility

No doubt we could, but half the point of putting Crowell out there would be to give Bell a rest, not just to move Bell elsewhere. He could line up in the slot to mix things up on occasion, but regularly you have your slot receiver there with Bell in the backfield.

It's easy for me to also come up with rationalizations for keeping both if they signed Bell. First year back full time; he's not 24 anymore; he's been injured plenty in his career already; versatility like you mention; keeping Bell fresh... Believe me, I get it. Even with all that, it's still smarter to trade him, get a pick in return, and spend it elsewhere. 

I'm not the least bit worried about Bell balking at Crowell taking away carries; it was never brought up as a concern so I don't know why you're piling on reasons to convince me why it's not a concern. Nobody's worried about that in the first place. My concern was Crowell making noise and bitching about it like he did in Cleveland. I think he didn't even love it so much with splitting time the first half of this year but hey, he was new here, Powell was going to be a FA next year, next year isn't guaranteed money so maybe shut up for the year, plus ultimately he wasn't just some afterthought even if Powell was the nominal starter. However if they bring in Bell to be the man in year 2, he's not going to be at all happy about being his or anyone's backup.

They're not inanimate chess pieces or like depth on a fantasy team. It's not just about the money, which was my entire point. More it's that in addition to the likely discord there likely would be, yes an extra $4m is better-spent topping off our otherwise top offer to make sure we don't yet again lose out on a coveted FA or two. It's smarter use than spending on Bell's backup, anyway. Plus a mid-round pick (if they could get one) is a nice free bonus as well. IMO if you want a veteran back to complement Bell you pick a guy who takes pride in pass blocking (e.g. Powell, CJ Anderson, etc.) so it isn't so obvious it's a handoff when he's subbing in there for the play. Or maybe an older guy who can still do it in spurts, and even as a spot starter for a few weeks if needed, so long as he's not getting worn out over 16 games (e.g. Lynch), or someone who can still be a goal-line beast (e.g. Blount) so Bell doesn't have to run into a concrete wall on short yardage. Beyond that? You go with your late round types and their fresh legs.

If Bell was coming off a major injury then I might feel otherwise, but he isn't. He's just rested for the year.

Lol, whatever. He's already said $60m isn't enough for him to play for the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No doubt we could, but half the point of putting Crowell out there would be to give Bell a rest, not just to move Bell elsewhere. He could line up in the slot to mix things up on occasion, but regularly you have your slot receiver there with Bell in the backfield.

It's easy for me to also come up with rationalizations for keeping both if they signed Bell. First year back full time; he's not 24 anymore; he's been injured plenty in his career already; versatility like you mention; keeping Bell fresh... Believe me, I get it. Even with all that, it's still smarter to trade him, get a pick in return, and spend it elsewhere. 

I'm not the least bit worried about Bell balking at Crowell taking away carries; it was never brought up as a concern so I don't know why you're piling on reasons to convince me why it's not a concern. Nobody's worried about that in the first place. My concern was Crowell making noise and bitching about it like he did in Cleveland. I think he didn't even love it so much with splitting time the first half of this year but hey, he was new here, Powell was going to be a FA next year, next year isn't guaranteed money so maybe shut up for the year, plus ultimately he wasn't just some afterthought even if Powell was the nominal starter. However if they bring in Bell to be the man in year 2, he's not going to be at all happy about being his or anyone's backup.

They're not inanimate chess pieces or like depth on a fantasy team. It's not just about the money, which was my entire point. More it's that in addition to the likely discord there likely would be, yes an extra $4m is better-spent topping off our otherwise top offer to make sure we don't yet again lose out on a coveted FA or two. It's smarter use than spending on Bell's backup, anyway. Plus a mid-round pick (if they could get one) is a nice free bonus as well. IMO if you want a veteran back to complement Bell you pick a guy who takes pride in pass blocking (e.g. Powell, CJ Anderson, etc.) so it isn't so obvious it's a handoff when he's subbing in there for the play. Or maybe an older guy who can still do it in spurts, and even as a spot starter for a few weeks if needed, so long as he's not getting worn out over 16 games (e.g. Lynch), or someone who can still be a goal-line beast (e.g. Blount) so Bell doesn't have to run into a concrete wall on short yardage. Beyond that? You go with your late round types and their fresh legs.

If Bell was coming off a major injury then I might feel otherwise, but he isn't. He's just rested for the year.

Lol, whatever. He's already said $60m isn't enough for him to play for the Jets. 

Bell said that when McClown was scheduled as the starter before we drafted Sam Darnold. Maybe Bell looks at the Jets now & sees a younger Big Ben? Always a possibility. 

17 hours ago, Bergen Jet said:

Hard Pass.  The cap space fallacy is in full effect here.  We have the fewest players under contract next year and we have a ton of holes to begin with. 

On top of that no running back is worth what Bell is going to get to this Jets team.  We are two or three good years of rebuilding before we could be a legit deep playoff run team IMO.  We would have an expensive approximately 30 year old RB at that point.

2 to 3 years? WTF! That is such BS! The Patriots defense sucks balls! Surround Sam with weapons next year like signing Bell & a vet WR, draft the best WR available & try to win some shootouts, give your defense big leads so they can gamble more & get to the playoffs! 

Not rocket science! Your franchise QB is in place, he'll be 22 & have a year under his belt. Buffalo & Miami SUCK, fix this offense & OUTSCORE the bastards! You put an offense around Sam, he'll score over 28 each week. Bills & Fins won't keep up! Fact, you have to OUTSCORE the Pats. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

So what I've read recently on the forum:

Prioritise offense over defense
Help our young QB with a playmaker
Stop pouring resources into the defense
We suck at drafting, especially playmakers

And the tone of this thread from the "No to Bell" camp is:

We should spend our FA money on a pass rusher
Playmakers are easy to find in the draft

SMH ... Bell will underperform, but Ray, Fowler etc will be worth the high $ in free agency?

By the way, there's an interesting read from Bucky Brooks on nfl.com right now about the value of drafting a hybrid RB / WR type high in the draft. Worth a read.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, jamesr said:

So what I've read recently on the forum:

Prioritise offense over defense
Help our young QB with a playmaker
Stop pouring resources into the defense
We suck at drafting, especially playmakers

And the tone of this thread from the "No to Bell" camp is:

We should spend our FA money on a pass rusher
Playmakers are easy to find in the draft

SMH ... Bell will underperform, but Ray, Fowler etc will be worth the high $ in free agency?

By the way, there's an interesting read from Bucky Brooks on nfl.com right now about the value of drafting a hybrid RB / WR type high in the draft. Worth a read.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I just posted that article & saw your post here afterward. It deserves its own thread & backs up us pro Bell Jet fans. Obviously, Bucky talks about drafting RBs but when one of the best at 27 is sitting there after a year off & we have the money it's a no brainer. And to the Jet fans upset that he was quoted he wouldn't sign with the Jets if it was 60 million, he said that before we drafted Sam Darnold & we had Josh McCown & Bryce Petty. Would you go to the Jets in that scenario? 

• Upvote 1

I understand the sentiment KRL, I do.  But this cap money we keep talking about, and was mentioned by a few people here, is an illusion.

Yes, as of right now we have about $106 million currently in cap space.  Wanna get rid of Beachum, Long and Winters?  Sure, that can add another $21 million.

We also have just 29 players under contract.  29!  We have to pay 24 people to have a full roster!  Players included NOT on that list that need paying (OR a replacement found) are Morris Claiborne, Henry Anderson, Quincy Enunwa, Jermaine Kearse, Steve McLendon, Robbie Anderson.

Then, if we got rid of the three suggested we would have to basically sign an entire new offensive line.  We won't have a 2nd round pick, unless Mac trades down in the first.  We almost need three starters in this upcoming draft, and hopefully  find about 6-7 in free agency.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I understand the sentiment KRL, I do.  But this cap money we keep talking about, and was mentioned by a few people here, is an illusion.

Yes, as of right now we have about $106 million currently in cap space.  Wanna get rid of Beachum, Long and Winters?  Sure, that can add another $21 million.

We also have just 29 players under contract.  29!  We have to pay 24 people to have a full roster!  Players included NOT on that list that need paying (OR a replacement found) are Morris Claiborne, Henry Anderson, Quincy Enunwa, Jermaine Kearse, Steve McLendon, Robbie Anderson.

Then, if we got rid of the three suggested we would have to basically sign an entire new offensive line.  We won't have a 2nd round pick, unless Mac trades down in the first.  We almost need three starters in this upcoming draft, and hopefully  find about 6-7 in free agency.

I still cannot understand why Mac has not extended some combination of Mo Claiborne, Anderson and Enunwa.  Even McClendon cheap if we thought we could make the playoffs next year.  It’s could be a good hold the fort guy.  Robbie can get tendered.

Extending McClendon and signing Anderson could allow us to trade Leo perhaps, and go with the younger draft picks, if we thought they could play.  On one hand, there could be better uses of the money.  On the other hand, we are not spending on a QB.

Signing Bell for a short-term contract could basically help Darnold develop and get the Jets back to the playoffs after 8 years.  Although there are negatives to spending big money on a veteran well-tred RB, I can see the point here.  

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

How about Maccagnan finally start doing what the rest of the NFL has been doing and finally draft some legit dual threat RBs before the 6th round??   It’s like this guy repels playmakers.  

He can't and he won't we have to sign some proven NFL superstars and probably over pay for them. 

The NY Jets regardless of the GM do not understand the draft, its like 3rd and long we need 9 we throw a 2 yard pass regardless of who the OC is. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Name them.  

Name them huh. You dont think there will be 2 o-linemen and an edge rusher available to us next off season?  With the amount of cap space the team will have?

You don't think there are 2 o-lineman that will shake loose that wont be immediate upgrades to what we have? Ditto for edge as well?

2 minutes ago, Joe the Breadman said:

Name them huh. You dont think there will be 2 o-linemen and an edge rusher available to us next off season?  With the amount of cap space the team will have?

You don't think there are 2 o-lineman that will shake loose that wont be immediate upgrades to what we have? Ditto for edge as well?

Clowney I think will be available because Houston has a lot of people to pay on that offense and defense.  Same with Fowler and the Rams

Need to see about the OL, although I think they draft Jonah Williams in the top pick

I'd:

-Sign the top inside lineman regardless of position.  If he's a center, then move Long to guard.

-Sign Bell.  He's a playmaker and that's what we lack.  We have the space so let's not over think it.  The cap keeps going up and NO ONE is in cap hell anymore.

-Sign one of the edge rushers.  We don't have to sign the most expensive guy, let's just upgrade a bit.

-Draft the top left tackle available in round one and then add a mixture of skill position players and o line later for development. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'd:

-Sign the top inside lineman regardless of position.  If he's a center, then move Long to guard.

-Sign Bell.  He's a playmaker and that's what we lack.  We have the space so let's not over think it.  The cap keeps going up and NO ONE is in cap hell anymore.

-Sign one of the edge rushers.  We don't have to sign the most expensive guy, let's just upgrade a bit.

-Draft the top left tackle available in round one and then add a mixture of skill position players and o line later for development. 

Sign me up

32 minutes ago, varjet said:

I still cannot understand why Mac has not extended some combination of Mo Claiborne, Anderson and Enunwa.  Even McClendon cheap if we thought we could make the playoffs next year.  It’s could be a good hold the fort guy.  Robbie can get tendered.

Extending McClendon and signing Anderson could allow us to trade Leo perhaps, and go with the younger draft picks, if we thought they could play.  On one hand, there could be better uses of the money.  On the other hand, we are not spending on a QB.

Signing Bell for a short-term contract could basically help Darnold develop and get the Jets back to the playoffs after 8 years.  Although there are negatives to spending big money on a veteran well-tred RB, I can see the point here.  

Honestly, I think the days of extending guys early is gone. FA is exciting for players and a goldmine. It’s probably not lack of trying especially because we have so many inconsistent/injury prone/unknowns that don’t know their own value and think it’s easier to just test the market.

Known commodities can be signed early because they can quantify their value. A guy like Enunwa?? He plays great when healthy but is injury ridden and only has 2 good years of production. Tough to put a $ figure on that. We have to overpay to keep him from testing the market.

Some guys are better riding out in case they get injured or slump to bring their price down (guys thatbarent absolute must resigns). It’s just easier said than done anymore. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

48 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Clowney I think will be available because Houston has a lot of people to pay on that offense and defense.  Same with Fowler and the Rams

Need to see about the OL, although I think they draft Jonah Williams in the top pick

Williams is rated mid first round as the top rated OT and thatsvwhere we end up picking so yes

If Clowney is available jets need to go after him hard

30 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Williams is rated mid first round as the top rated OT and thatsvwhere we end up picking so yes

If Clowney is available jets need to go after him hard

Texans have plenty of money. Clowney will be resigned, Watt is a ? every year now as he gets older. Back problems for a guy as big as him don't get better with age.

The NY Jets almost always seem to miss out on the superstar hall of fame player even though I really think Sam Darnold is the franchise QB we have hoped for. We missed out on Todd Gurley,Alvin Kamara and others in recent years. So we draft a franchise young QB and we surround him with JAG's. Time to #JetUp and pay the price to buy some superstars RB.WR's and OL. 

I'm not giving 10% of my salary cap to a RB who felt it was more important to save his body this year to really cash in rather than be there for his teammates for a measly $14.5M. Is this a guy who's gonna give it his all after getting $30M+ guaranteed? That's a huge question, IMHO. 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm not giving 10% of my salary cap to a RB who felt it was more important to save his body this year to really cash in rather than be there for his teammates for a measly $14.5M. Is this a guy who's gonna give it his all after getting $30M+ guaranteed? That's a huge question, IMHO. 

100% yes. Of course he will, He's a professional.

Signed; 

-A. Haynesworth

-D. Revis

- T. Johnson

- M. Wilkerson

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nope.

It was on Feb 1st, so McCown wasn't even "scheduled" to be on the Jets roster in any capacity. 

Oh, I'm so sorry. So we actually had no QB which must have been truly enticing for Le'veon Bell to imagine how awesome it would be to play for the New York Jets. 

5 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'd:

Very good post.  One of the top lineman will be Donovan Smith of the Bucs.  He's a solid LT and is only 25.  The Bucs have made Ali Marpet and Ryan Jensen two of the most highly paid OL in the league and they won't be able to keep Smith.  The two of them will account for over $22mm next year and signing Smith will bring 3 OL to $35mm.  Getting Smith would be a great start.

There are several solid, young guards who will be free agents.  

I completely agree with signing a mid-tier edge rusher who could improve the pass rush.  Let's not discount the possibility of Mac signing JPP to return to NY.  He's having a great year for the Bucs and would fill in nicely until younger troops could come in.

If Smith is signed the 1st round pick could be a WR, DT (there will be so many good ones coming out and half of them play for Clemson!), or CB.  

I think it depends on how McGuire and Canon finish out the year before Mac will commit major bucks to a guy like Bell.  There are several very solid RB to be had in round 3.  Guys like Benny Snell, Ryquell Armstead, Karan Higdon, and David Montgomery.  

Mac will no doubt sign a big WR in free agency as well. 

I’ve mostly against signing Bell partly because it’s hard to justify allocating so much to the RB position. But with Herndon coming on, the Jets would be tough to cover with a receiving back like Bell. Defenses will have to respect the middle of the field with Enunwa and Herndon. Theyll have to cover the flat with Bell. And Robby is good for some long bombs. We would just be missing someone decent opposite of Robby to have a good weapons on offense. 

And of course we will need a new coach to make it all come together.

On 11/2/2018 at 9:12 AM, Butterfield said:

I almost think they have to.  What other offensive playmakers are there out there that can make a difference?  Im all for building through the draft but we need one sure fire impact playmaker.

The problem is paying him a boatload of $$$$ when a RB is one play from a career ending injury and he will be 27. I say nah. Load up on WR's and OL and have a RB by committee approach.