Le'Veon Bell, Yes Or No?

KRL

20 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

First of all Johnson is 26 so he's not older than Bell hes a year younger

Second he had an amazing year in 2016 with 1250 yards rushing and 80 catches for 800 + yards. In 17 he broke his wrist and missed the season, he has much less wear and tear on his body and he plays for a team in which he's the only real skill player on the team so teams key on him not giving him much of a chance to do anything. If the contract is prohibitive fine thats one argument you have on your side but the guy is a fantastic player who was right up there with Bell when healthy. Even with whats going on this year his career average is still 4.1 per rush and his main deal just like Bell is his receiving ability. In the end will his contract be as prohibitive as Bell's ? Does he smoke Dope ? Is he a trouble maker ? You can make the case hes more Attractive solution than Bell in the right situation

David Johnson was born Decwmber 16 1991.  Leveon Bell was born Frbeuary 18, 1992.  Figure it out.

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2018 at 5:43 PM, Ex-Rex said:

The problem is paying him a boatload of $$$$ when a RB is one play from a career ending injury and he will be 27. I say nah. Load up on WR's and OL and have a RB by committee approach.

Please provide list of free agents WRs that you would like to “load up on”. 

• Sympathy 1

The Jets have to get Le'V. 

He will make Sam better.   He will make the offense better.   His chain-moving running and receiving combination will dramatically increase time of possession, which in turn keeps the defense fresher.

He is the only player that will be available in fraud agency that can singlehandedly flip the team's outlook in a positive direction. 

He will have an even bigger positive  effect than CuMar did because the Jets have the young QB in Sam, and Le'V is a better receiver than Curtis was... and Curtis was good.

• Sympathy 1

On 11/3/2018 at 3:53 PM, joewilly12 said:

Imagine what a top 5 NFL RB would do for our passing game. 

Do you realize the Steelers just replaced him with a third round pick and didn't skip a beat? How about we draft one.....not one with a million miles on him that is a holding out when he could be making almost $1 mil a week.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

Do you realize the Steelers just replaced him with a third round pick and didn't skip a beat? How about we draft one.....not one with a million miles on him that is a holding out when he could be making almost $1 mil a week.

I am too tired to argue with you tonight... maybe tomorrow.  Your post is a premier example of tunnel vision.  Only see the simplest viewpoint...

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

I am too tired to argue with you tonight... maybe tomorrow.  Your post is a premier example of tunnel vision.  Only see the simplest viewpoint...

I normally like most of your posts so I'll look forward to it tomorrow. Here is one fact(my ?) that I'll hit you with. Leveon Bell will never replicate even close to the numbers he put up in Pitt....ever. All RB"s and players overall normally top out with a three to maybe five year prime. Bell has already seen his years go by as a top back in this league....it's just the nature of the beast, especially at the RB position. 

24 minutes ago, RobR said:

Have you been paying attention to how the NY Jets draft?  COME ON MAN 

We must lead the league in most first round draft picks now selling used cars. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Have you been paying attention to how the NY Jets draft?  COME ON MAN 

We must lead the league in most first round draft picks now selling used cars. 

Bringing in Bell is still not how the good teams do it. Just because Mac sucks at drafting doesn't mean we should overpay for a RB whose best miles are behind him. That's the type of move losing franchises make, so I expect us to go hard and overpay for him this year if Mac is still running the show. 

6 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I’m for it. Age aside, mileage aside, he’s a generational talent. Adrian Peterson, 33, is the 5th leading rusher this year (80 yards less than Kareem Hunt, or Ezekiel Elliot), on a failing WAS team with Alex Smith at the helm. 

He’s worth the dice roll. 

Honest question, would you feel the same way if we have a new GM and HC in place?

45 minutes ago, RobR said:

I normally like most of your posts so I'll look forward to it tomorrow. Here is one fact(my ?) that I'll hit you with. Leveon Bell will never replicate even close to the numbers he put up in Pitt....ever. All RB"s and players overall normally top out with a three to maybe five year prime. Bell has already seen his years go by as a top back in this league....it's just the nature of the beast, especially at the RB position. 

Eh... i will take a few minutes...

First, Bell doesn't have to replicate the numbers he put up in Pittsburgh to be a successful signing.  Mainly because priority one is helping Sam Darnold.  His dual threat ability will give Sam exactly what he needs.  Le'V is one of, if not the best, receiving backs of all time.

Second, the Steelers "replacing" Bell with Conner is irrelevant.   You said it yourself, "Bell will never match what he did in Pittsburgh."  It is safe to assume that means we can both agree what they do offensively there with a HOF QB and a HOF WR makes it easier on the running back to produce?   But the narrative that Conner is better than Bell because of some stats?  I don't necessarily buy it... Maybe the Steelers offense is better?  Maybe the new OC is better than Todd Haley was? 

Third,  a few teams hit on good running backs in the draft... yes.  Kamara and Hunt in the 3rd.   Conner in the 3rd.  But there are also plenty of Samaje Perine and Donnell Pumphrey in the 4th.   Gonna throw Shonn Greene at ya too!  Crapshoot.  This is obvious, and I know you are aware so probably not necessary to point out.

Fourth, I understand people's apprehension towards spending big bucks on a running back.  Fraud agency is a waste, and the RB position has been devalued.  But in my opinion,  Le'Veon Bell has a far lower risk than the vast majority of other players... and it goes back to his dual threat ability.  If one doesn't work in a game, use the other.   Players available in fraud agency are almost always overpriced and flawed.  Road graders that stink as pass blockers.  Part-time pass rushers that can't play the run.  Corners that can play zone but not man.  Safeties good in the box but lousy in coverage.  Injury prone guys.  Etc.  That is why they are available.   Le'Veon Bell is not flawed, he will only be overpriced.  The Steelers wanted him back, they offered him a deal before trying to tag him a second time.  Finally, Bell plays a position that requires little system adjustment... No risk of square peg problem... just plug and play...

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Eh... i will take a few minutes...

First, Bell doesn't have to replicate the numbers he put up in Pittsburgh to be a successful signing.  Mainly because priority one is helping Sam Darnold.  His dual threat ability will give Sam exactly what he needs.  Le'V is one of, if not the best, receiving backs of all time.

Second, the Steelers "replacing" Bell with Conner is irrelevant.   You said it yourself, "Bell will never match what he did in Pittsburgh."  It is safe to assume that means we can both agree what they do offensively there with a HOF QB and a HOF WR makes it easier on the running back to produce?   But the narrative that Conner is better than Bell because of some stats?  I don't necessarily buy it... Maybe the Steelers offense is better?  Maybe the new OC is better than Todd Haley was? 

Third,  a few teams hit on good running backs in the draft... yes.  Kamara and Hunt in the 3rd.   Conner in the 3rd.  But there are also plenty of Samaje Perine and Donnell Pumphrey in the 4th.   Gonna throw Shonn Greene at ya too!  Crapshoot.  This is obvious, and I know you are aware so probably not necessary to point out.

Fourth, I understand people's apprehension towards spending big bucks on a running back.  Fraud agency is a waste, and the RB position has been devalued.  But in my opinion,  Le'Veon Bell has a far lower risk than the vast majority of other players... and it goes back to his dual threat ability.  If one doesn't work in a game, use the other.   Players available in fraud agency are almost always overpriced and flawed.  Road graders that stink as pass blockers.  Part-time pass rushers that can't play the run.  Corners that can play zone but not man.  Safeties good in the box but lousy in coverage.  Injury prone guys.  Etc.  That is why they are available.   Le'Veon Bell is not flawed, he will only be overpriced.  The Steelers wanted him back, they offered him a deal before trying to tag him a second time.  Finally, Bell plays a position that requires little system adjustment... No risk of square peg problem... just plug and play...

I'm glad you waited until tomorrow for a good rebuttal. Overall there's not much with that post that I can disagree with, and wouldn't kill the new GM for signing him. 

Would he help Sam? That's a yes and for that reason alone I wouldn't kill a new GM for signing him.

Would he end up being a bad long term signing? No doubt. He's a malcontent that is going to require a large contract (although I think it will be lower than most expect) and he has a ton of mileage. How many RB's excel after that mileage regardless of the circumstance they are put in? 

Any team signing Bell to me screams of we're just around the corner. The Jets are miles away and a declining RB that costs a ton of money is not the way I would go forward. Just my two cents on how to build a winner. Oline is a much bigger priority than RB and so is WR.

• Upvote 2

Bell is a great back but as I said before his age hides the mileage in the legs. The year off will have helped him. The Steelers would have ran him into the ground this year and he knew it.

We are so bereft of talented that I'd reluctantly accepted the signing.

I could see the Jets offer the most $ but he signs elsewhere for less ala Kirk Cousins. 

We need a new HC/GM plus the face lift may make us more attractive to sign for?

At this point I feel dejected more than usual about my Jets. It's just tough to see the light at the end of the tunnel at the moment.

The question of Yes or No for Bell is irrelevant.  It's not whether the Jets want him but whether he wants the Jets.

We've already seen that offering more money than any other team is not guarantee, ala Kirk Cousins.

With that said, Yes, throw the $$$$$ at him, help your QB and your offense.  Add a difference maker and use that Cap room on offense.

5 hours ago, RobR said:

I'm glad you waited until tomorrow for a good rebuttal. Overall there's not much with that post that I can disagree with, and wouldn't kill the new GM for signing him. 

Would he help Sam? That's a yes and for that reason alone I wouldn't kill a new GM for signing him.

Would he end up being a bad long term signing? No doubt. He's a malcontent that is going to require a large contract (although I think it will be lower than most expect) and he has a ton of mileage. How many RB's excel after that mileage regardless of the circumstance they are put in? 

Any team signing Bell to me screams of we're just around the corner. The Jets are miles away and a declining RB that costs a ton of money is not the way I would go forward. Just my two cents on how to build a winner. Oline is a much bigger priority than RB and so is WR.

I'm not sure a "malcontent" is a fair description.  The Steelers made him an offer, and he felt he was worth more.  That is debatable.  Then they tried to tag him... which I feel, while legal under the rules, is grossly unfair... especially for a running back.

The league has devalued running backs, taking them mostly in the middle rounds.  They are often thrown right in as there is little learning curve, beaten up or the mileage tacked on as people like to say, on their rookie contract.   Then when they finally reach free agency,  the good ones that havent already had a major injury on their resume like David Johnson or Dalvin Cook...get told they have too many miles and it is used as financial leverage against them...

In Le'V's case, he got tagged... twice.  So the Steelers could run another 800 touches on him without ever really giving him his big bite at the apple. 

What if he had played under the tag for $8 or 9M or whatever and he got hurt like Earl Thomas?  Then what kind of contract does he see in 2019?  

He said screw this.  I am going to sit out the season.   The Steelers don't care about me.  I am going to look out for number one.  

He skips the mileage.  Enters free agency in great shape at 27 with two elite years left, 27 and 28, and probably a couple of good years as well.  Either way, if the Jets get 2 or 3 really good seasons out of Bell and it gets Darnold headed in the right direction... WORTH IT!

I don't blame him for this hold out btw.

He is going to come out with at least a wash...especially with the injury risk factor in play.

All he costs is money. Who cares how much, we can’t spend all we have and it’s not mine.

think about what LT brought to the team and imagine if we got him when he was 3 years younger.

its a no brained. Instantly elevates the Jets to the middle of the pack and climbing.

• Sympathy 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a lot of you RB nay sayers are not taking into account is that Bell can not only run the football and catch the football out of the backfield he can also play in the slot which can very well add 2 to 3 years to his productivity. If I were to coach Bell I would not run him more than 10 to 15 times per game and feature him more in the passing game just to keep him fresh. You can easily give Maguire carries while lining up Bell in the slot or resting him from time to time. In close games late in the 4th you basically feature a rested Bell and dominate worn out defenses. 

When Bell gets into his 30's if he starts to decline running the football he can be moved to the slot very easily and prolong his career by doing what he actually does best since he's a much better receiver than he is a runner.

With all this being said if the Jets do pay Bell they also need to find a number 1 WR in the draft or FA and that will truly make them a dynamic offense with Hearndon looking like he may very well be the answer a TE .

If the Jets get a top guy at every level on the offense and add a few solid players on the O-line and get a competent Head Coach who understands both offense and defense they can become the LA Rams overnight. The only question that would remain ius whether Sam Darnold can play the part and run a high powered offense. This seems a very simple fix to me and I also think this defense is borderline top five in the NFL with an offense that can actually hold onto the football for amounts to more than 3 and outs so Imagine if we do that and add a legit pass rusher what we might have with the right coach.

This team is not that far away from being a contender and we are young this situation should be very desirable for any head coach to come in here.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...