DEC 1st; Wilder vs Fury

Paradis

12 hours ago, King P said:

At this point it wouldn't surprise me. Although Fury 's trainer just said a Wilder rematch isn't guaranteed, and they prefer Wilder & Joshua to fight each other with Fury getting the winner. Sounds like we're gonna get AJ vs Whyte 2 and Wilder vs Breazeale, which is worst case scenario.

I was there last night, I felt bad for Charlo. He won that fight and got a raw deal (although he didn't look great either). Jermall looked worse to me. Chalk it up to him going against a guy on such short notice, an off night, etc. Whatever. He didn't look good. That Charlo we saw last night definitely isn't beating Jacobs at all. I'd definitely favor Jacobs over Charlo.

Rematch is happening in April, both sides are just leveraging for location. Fury's position is he came to the States for the first so he wants Wilder in Manchester for the rematch, Wilder's side is arguing they can build off the first fight and do Vegas proper. But it's happening.

Hearn is trying to get Usyk a fight with Chisora with Takam as the backup if that falls through. Joshua fights Whyte. That's a win/win for Hearn. If Usyk loses he can just blame the size difference, if Usyk wins he can build the Joshua fight and milk AJ and Usyk for a huge payday before he has to have Joshua unify the belts.

I really think it's more than that with the Charlos. I know a bunch of different guys at Wild Card and they have all said the same thing about those two; when things aren't going 100% their way all of the time they tend to falter. Fans can go by what they see on TV but you can't hide who you are in the gym, and eventually it's going to bleed into your fights; IMO that's what happened to both on Saturday. If Jermall's promoter is dumb enough to chase the Jacobs fight that is going to be a complete disaster for him because Jacobs might be the toughest guy in the entire game right now. I want Jacobs/Canelo anyways. And Canelo owes the fans a proper defense after that joke of a fight last week.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, King P said:

@RutgersJetFan

Canelo vs Jacobs is official for May 4th

Told you we'd get that. Great fight

I'm pumped. Styles make fights and I've always thought Jacobs was the hardest matchup for Saul, even more than GGG. My only concern is that Canelo has an iron chin and if the fight's in Vegas there's no way Jacobs is walking away with anything remotely close. He's going to have to put on one of the all-time great performances if he wants to get a W, and even that might not be enough.

I honestly thought Canelo would be taking on low risk fights for the considerable future. Kudos to him for taking on the challenge. I'll be pulling for Jacobs hard. He's a top 15 p4p fighter and truly underappreciated by Americans.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I can't believe they sold that as well as they did. The fact that it sold out and also was on PPV baffles me. Broner hasn't been anything near a top-tier fighter for years now. And he better be careful with how he's spending his money if he can't beat a 40-year-old man.

Maidana broke him. He looks genuinely terrified to exchange with a half decent opponent. He's got some skills and even showed it at times in the Manny fight but he's mentally checked out. I think he knew full well he lost and was just in character to that point. Took a UD loss from Jim Gray too. 

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Maidana broke him. He looks genuinely terrified to exchange with a half decent opponent. He's got some skills and even showed it at times in the Manny fight but he's mentally checked out. I think he knew full well he lost and was just in character to that point. Took a UD loss from Jim Gray too. 

Probably, but that's his schtick. I had the fight 115-113, but I can see 116-112. I thought both guys looked bad and can honestly see where Broner was coming from. All of those flurries that Manny had when the crowd was going nuts, when they showed them on replay you could clearly see nothing was landing and the punches that were were grazing at best. Very small handful of punches that landed cleanly, but Broner's problem is that you can't finish a fight running and expect that to go your way.

Manny better hope that Floyd thinks they can make some money together a second time because if he has to get in the ring with Spence or Crawford he's going to get wrecked.

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Canelo's head movement was insane. He's superb.

Thought commentary was a bit one sided but still deserved win. Would love a third GGG fight.

Canelo looked great but man, that fight was boring. I thought Jacobs would try to get after it a little more like he did against GGG. Tactical I guess, but it's hard to ignore that Canelo routinely struggles with finishing top guys and that's not a problem that the other P4P guys have. Bud, Loma, Spence, and Usyk are finishers.

My guess is Canelo takes another easy fight next like what he did with Fielding to stretch out the DAZN deal, and then will either do the trilogy with GGG or try to unify with Andrade. Canelo likely prefers the latter because he's all about history, but Oscar pushes him more towards the GGG fight.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, King P said:

@Paradis

Anthony Joshua got knocked out tonight.

AJ/Wilder fight went up in smoke

That wasn’t happening anytime soon anyways. Wilder and Fury signed a contract for the rematch already for after Wilder fights Ortiz. Early 2020. Pretty clear Hearn wants absolutely nothing to do with Wilder.

As for AJ, pretty clear he underestimated Ruiz but Ruiz is also legit. A fast heavyweight is always a dangerous heavyweight. I’m happy Joshua got laced. Hearn tried the Floyd routine and it backfired. Good. 

• Sympathy 1

Hearn looked a nervous wreck after the fight too. Lovely job.

It’s a bad situation for him. Joshua losing the rematch will bury him and there’s still no real pressure on Ruiz. He’s a good fighter - Should have got the decision against Parker too.

Joshua was out of it after the third. His eyes didn’t look right and he asked the corner what put him down after the following round. Concussion is a bitch. Ruiz will have to KO him again, no way he gets a decision.

• Upvote 1

Wilder went in on Joshua. Good for him. The fact that the promoters couldn’t make it happen when it would have been one of the most lucrative fights ever, (at least top 10-15 right?), is preposterous. Wilder is a G and the fact that he’s putting himself out there against both Ortiz and Fury back to back after what happened in both fights the first time speaks volumes about how he views himself as a champion. It’s not the classiest response but **** it, it’s the fight game. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/BronzeBomber/status/1135030361224753152

• Post of the Week 1

• 5 months later...