Sign in to follow this  
Paradis

DEC 1st; Wilder vs Fury

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Both. I've been boxing since I was a kid as well and have always been in and around gyms. Ditto for MMA because of practicing BJJ regularly. I have a deep love for watching fights, going to fights, talking about fighting...etc, more so than even football; when you watch full cards you can usually catch the up-and-comers along with the main events.

Following the sport is pretty easy. The free coverage has gone way up the past couple years between ESPN and the networks, and RingTV always keeps the rankings and schedules up to date. Combat sports are easy to follow if you're proactive about following them, much like any of the major team sports. The coverage isn't as mainstream but it's there.

Nice. I box myself. I always reccomend it to people because it's a great experience and you can learn so much as far as technique and discipline.

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

man i'm just eating up all this knowledge and acumen..

where or how do you guys follow the sport? You just know who's who and whats what organically from following the sport for years and years...or how do you get your serving news and speculation?

Boxing memories man. My dad would wake me in the middle of the night when Nas or Tyson were about to fight – Me about 6 years old. It was the greatest.

I’ve always been a huge fan but never got a chance to try it out. Was too preoccupied with Soccer, GAA, Rugby – No on in my social circle would be doing it either. Huge regret of mine especially as I f*cking hate rugby. Given how I’ve done in fist fights over the years maybe it was best I stayed away.

Sport is definitely going through a resurgence right now – Monday was probably the first time where everyone at work was talking about the fight. Usually just me and some other degenerates. 

If you’re looking to get more into boxing and especially the history you have to check out Boxing Legends TV channel on Youtube – The videos are just outstanding. He’s constantly fighting off copyright strikes though, which is a shame as it’s probably the best boxing material out there. 

7 hours ago, King P said:

Nice. I box myself. I always reccomend it to people because it's a great experience and you can learn so much as far as technique and discipline.

It’s a fantastic workout for sure, even if someone doesn’t want to spar or fight it’s a great activity. People hate on the new wave of fitness oriented boxing gyms that have popped up but I’m a fan. They are not for me but in my opinion you don’t have to fight to get some of the benefits of martial arts. Whatever gets people up and moving is good.

For me, the older I get the less I have been putting into striking and more into grappling. Head trauma becomes a very real thing to be concerned about once you start approaching 40, especially when you’ve been doing it for a while. Problem is I just love to scrap, and luckily I discovered a while ago that choking peeps out is way more fun than getting punched in the face 😁