Are the Jets turning Darnold into Sanchez?

Dcronin

Oof. A gloomy POV for sure, not sure I am on board with the analogy completely.

Sanchez wouldn't have bounced back from his first NFL pass being taken for 6. But it's a reasonable call for concern.

After today's showing, I don't know how you look your team in the eye without making a major change. 

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/11/4/18062302/sam-darnold-new-york-jets-miami-dolphins

Such a lazy and ignorant comparison.  Sam and Mark are completely different QBs in temperament, skill, athleticism, potential (realized or not), only a fool would make the comparison to make an argument.  If Sam fails, it's for entirely different reasons than Mark.

Why bother to read, I don't like ignorant and lazy people...if you're stupid it's one thing, you can't help that, ignorance you have control of.

*not directed at the OP, simply tired of poor, TMZ level journalism.

No, Sanchez was very weak mentally, and scared to take a hit. That is not darnold, he is Strong both mentally and physically.. He will just never be great playing for a dc guru pretrending to be HC and only caring about the D. Or playing for a gm who listens to his dumb HC, and believes if a place kicker grades out higher than a edge rusher, you draft the kicker..

I think the overall point of the piece is very much in defense of Sam. He is worth being protected. They are just saying bad systems and environments (like Sanchez had) can affect a kid. They really really need to help the kid out.

Baptism by fire is one thing, but sending him into the fires of hell every Sunday without help or improvement or full-scale personnel/coaching changes is maybe not a great idea.

5 hours ago, FollowMe said:

Darnold turns the ball over more as a rookie than Sanchez did. More flashes of potential from Darnold though it's still early.

because the Jets were able to run the ball when he was a rookie.  they had a lot of vet talent on his team the first two years.

5 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Such a lazy and ignorant comparison.  Sam and Mark are completely different QBs in temperament, skill, athleticism, potential (realized or not), only a fool would make the comparison to make an argument.  If Sam fails, it's for entirely different reasons than Mark.

Why bother to read, I don't like ignorant and lazy people...if you're stupid it's one thing, you can't help that, ignorance you have control of.

*not directed at the OP, simply tired of poor, TMZ level journalism.

right.  You cannot make comparisons in a vacuum.  Sanchez had a far more reliable supporting cast.  And his team could run it.

16 minutes ago, jack48 said:

right.  You cannot make comparisons in a vacuum.  Sanchez had a far more reliable supporting cast.  And his team could run it.

The ground game of the 2009 Jets was incredibly overrated.  we ran in spurts to skew #s, sometimes late in games already decided, had a few great games against Buffalo and Oakland. The Ol was better but healthy the weapons around this QB have been better to pass to. remember Cotchery was our #1 WR and we didn't get Braylon until game 5 and he wasn't very good in 2009 adjusting to his new team.

Sanchez also had a good rookie year, he had 4 really bad games which skewed #s but his other 11 starts were good.  Sam had one of those really bad games yesterday that Mark had in 2009.  Hopefully he doesn't have 3 more.

In their hate of Mark fans forget Mark was good his first few years, his career started to turn in year 3 when they replaced 2 of his favorite targets then 3 of his top 4 weapons entering that season would be out of football by the next season and after that they gave him talent comparable(probably worse) to what Darnold had to throw to in Chicago last week.

w/ all this said Sam has shown me more to lead me to believe he can be not only a successful QB but a top QB in this league.  I know Mark was a good QB we could win w/ as long as he had the right cast around him but I never thought he'd be a top QB.  I think Sam will be a top QB.

The priorities for this offseason are upgrade OL and upgrade weapons around Sam.  He will be fine if we do that, if we don't we could ruin another QB.

Statistically their rookie seasons are looking similar but look at what Sanchez had on offensive line, at wr he had cotchery and Edwards, Keller at te who was decent and at rb I think his first year was Thomas Jones and ladamian Tomlinson? Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the cast we gave Sanchez was much better than what darnold walked into. As a side note I miss brick and mangold

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

47 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Statistically their rookie seasons are looking similar but look at what Sanchez had on offensive line, at wr he had cotchery and Edwards, Keller at te who was decent and at rb I think his first year was Thomas Jones and ladamian Tomlinson? Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the cast we gave Sanchez was much better than what darnold walked into. As a side note I miss brick and mangold

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Sanchez had the better OL.  when healthy Sam has better weapons to throw to.  In year 1 had Jones, Leon Washington and rookie Shonn Greene.  Leon got hurt and Greene got more opportunities late when Jones was beat up and useless and Greene had some big postseason runs until he got hurt early 2nd half of the title game and we were done from there.

Thomas Jones was our primary RB in 2009, he averaged 4.2 YPC

Isaiah Crowell is our primary RB in 2018 and he is averaging 5.0 YPC

The biggest difference has been the last couple of weeks w/ all the injuries on offense. 

as far as Braylon, remember the Jets were 3-1 w/ Chansi Stuckey starting the first 4 weeks and Mark playing really well.  They then made the move for Braylon bringing him in for week 5.  He had moments but he wasn't very good w/ a million drops(including a bomb for a TD in the WC game) unlike his 2010 season where he never dropped anything and was outstanding.

He's not Sanchez level suck but he sucks.  So, does it really matter if he sucks as bad as Sanchez?  Not really sure it does but people like to do the comparison thingy so why not?

Compativeily, Darnold seems like he's got a lot more to work with than Sanchez, which is good but he's the same level of moron with the ball so not really sure what to make of it yet because the 2 situation couldnt be any different.  Sanchez played behind the best OL in Football, with the best running game in the NFL, with the #1 defense in the league and an inspiring Head Coach bringing a new culture to the Jets.  Darnold is playing behind one of the worst OL's in the league, cant even snap him the ball, the coaching staff is a joke, they cant run the ball and his weaponz are terrible.

So, I dont think so but who knows, it's impossible to judge this kid right now with how awful this team is.  

10 hours ago, Dcronin said:

Oof. A gloomy POV for sure, not sure I am on board with the analogy completely.

Sanchez wouldn't have bounced back from his first NFL pass being taken for 6. But it's a reasonable call for concern.

After today's showing, I don't know how you look your team in the eye without making a major change. 

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/11/4/18062302/sam-darnold-new-york-jets-miami-dolphins

No way. Mark was born sexy.

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's not Sanchez level suck but he sucks.  So, does it really matter if he sucks as bad as Sanchez?  Not really sure it does but people like to do the comparison thingy so why not?

Compativeily, Darnold seems like he's got a lot more to work with than Sanchez, which is good but he's the same level of moron with the ball so not really sure what to make of it yet because the 2 situation couldnt be any different.  Sanchez played behind the best OL in Football, with the best running game in the NFL, with the #1 defense in the league and an inspiring Head Coach bringing a new culture to the Jets.  Darnold is playing behind one of the worst OL's in the league, cant even snap him the ball, the coaching staff is a joke, they cant run the ball and his weaponz are terrible.

So, I dont think so but who knows, it's impossible to judge this kid right now with how awful this team is.  

Too bad his high school and college coaches forgot to do that. Its too bad nobody in the NFL works with young QB's. Sam through picks in college and will throw picks in the pro's. Just the way it is I guess.

Jared Goff was awful as a rookie. PHI fans were all laughing their way to the bank. Pair Goff with an offensive minded coach an look now. We need to fire Bowles and get an offensive minded guy who is going to advocate for playmakers on that side of the ball. Enunwa and Anderson wouldnt make half the leugues starting 3 WR’s and we’re so desperate that the talk is of locking them up long term. Ridiculous. We don’t have a single worthwhile player on offense outside of Sam. Literally not one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Goff thing rarely happens. However, he played a full season more than Darnold did and put up video game numbers at CAL- so there was probably more reason to be optimistic. Having Mcvay is obviously a huge help, but the turnaround is on the player for the most part I think.

34 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The roster and coaching aren't doing him any favors, but the idea that you can "ruin" a player has always struck me as a dumb apologia from people who don't want to admit the QB sucks. Did the Jets turn Devin Smith into Stephen Hill?

Great qbs don’t get ruined. They could just take longer to develop if the roster and coaching is bad but The franchise guys are all driven to obssession over being the best at the position. We’ve seen an analog with Revis in 2009, he did obsessive film study on his own over every receiver he was supposed to face that season. Brady has a regimented diet, was complicit in stolen signals and deflated balls for the smallest edge. 

The top guys don’t just get there, they work harder than everyone else to get the most out of their elite talent. 

Archived