After 50 years I’m losing interest in this franchise.

johnnyjet

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stopped caring and watching sometime during that idzick era when geno smith was starting and his best wr was Stephen hill. seeing guys like charone peake and eric Tomlinson on this team just shows that not much has changed in 5 years. watching the jets game and watching a saints team play, makes you wonder if those teams play in a different league. I feel like I'm watching a baseball game when I see the jets. I'm lucky if I can make it to halftime without falling asleep.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one would blame you for walking away. As Morgan Freeman said in Shawshank, every man has his breaking point.

I’m still sticking with them, but I’ve detached myself emotionally for the most part. Living in NC probably has a lot to do with that.

I used to watch every game.   Now, I flip it on, "wow, 3 points in the 1st half vs. the Dolphins.   I'm glad I didn't waste an hour on that."

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke said:

It's the content not the result. that bothers me. 4 INT's from a rookie,  if we're moving the ball up and down the field, I can live with.

Meh, 2 of them were 4th and a mile and were as good as punts. 

Matt Stafford threw 5 INT's on opening day.  Big Ben been threw 5 last year.  Fitz threw 6 when he was on the Jets.

These games happen to veterans as much as they do to rookies  From my perspective, much rather it happen to a 21 year old then veterans like those dudes.

47 minutes ago, JiF said:

Matt Stafford threw 5 INT's on opening day.  Big Ben been threw 5 last year.  Fitz threw 6 when he was on the Jets.

These games happen to veterans as much as they do to rookies  From my perspective, much rather it happen to a 21 year old then veterans like those dudes.

I was talking content of the offense not just Darnold. I’m still on the bus.

3 hours ago, billo83 said:

45 years for me and I'm there with you. The Johnson's are worthless owners, but I don't see them selling anytime soon so I doubt much changes

I couldn't possibly agree more. The Johnsons are absolutely the problem. They are quite possibly the worst owners in football. 

Watching the NFL is among the least enjoyable things I do. It literally has lost all of its appeal, and the Jets franchise is and will be a joke, at least until the Trust Fund Brothers die off.  I came back a bit this year because I was curious how things would shake out with Darnold. But its obvious that the franchise is destined to be ruined by this franchise. I'm done.

3 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I couldn't possibly agree more. The Johnsons are absolutely the problem. They are quite possibly the worst owners in football. 

Unquestionably. It's typical of people who did absolutely NOTHING to earn their ability to buy a team (or any other business for that matter). These guys are as clueless as the day is long.

2015 gave me hope for the first time 2010. But I knew going into Buffalo that the guillotine was ready to slice.

The Darnold pick gave and still gives me hope. Youngest rookie QB ever on a sh*t roster with one of the worst coaching staffs, and hes lookes good overall.

This kid might not hit his peak for another 4 or 5 years, because of his age. That’s fine. But he won’t have a high peak if we don’t have the right people coaching him, or the right people surrounding him.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No one would blame you for walking away. As Morgan Freeman said in Shawshank, every man has his breaking point.

I’m still sticking with them, but I’ve detached myself emotionally for the most part. Living in NC probably has a lot to do with that.

I wish I was at that point of detachment. I'm in SC, and the move south hasn't helped. After 50 years of mostly lousy Sundays followed by sh*tty Monday mornings, you'd think enough would be enough. Yet I'd be lying to myself if I said I wouldn't get excited over a 2 game winning streak. Its like Groundhog Day, the same crap over and over. Owners, GMs, HCs, players all come and go, yet nothing ever changes.

46 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Watching the NFL is among the least enjoyable things I do. It literally has lost all of its appeal, and the Jets franchise is and will be a joke, at least until the Trust Fund Brothers die off.  I came back a bit this year because I was curious how things would shake out with Darnold. But its obvious that the franchise is destined to be ruined by this franchise. I'm done.

Spuds, what is truly heartbreaking is watching this family continue to do nothing to build relationships with the small town population that the NFL is. They are still the rich people who live on the outskirts in a tall mansion on a hill and the only interaction they get with the real townsfolk are with the ones they have to hire. After two decades in the NFL they still need the league office to find people who will agree to work for them. They haven't built any rapport with head coaches, asst. coaches, general managers and those with the potential to BE GMs. This is why hope is so hard to come by. We see that all they do is the same crap over and over again and again. The way the Johnsons do business is this; they will either fire the Head Coach or the GM but never both in the same year. Then they will ask the league office who they think is the most deserving to get a shot to be a head coach, at which point the NFL will hand over an unqualified defensive side of the ball prospect who will be selected so that the Rooney Rule is shown to be working just fine which is how you end up with a Todd Bowles.  

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

Hope is still there. Darnold is 5 years younger than Carson Wentz.

Give it some time.

Need an offensive coach.

Nico, I like to tease you, but honestly, I wish I had your optimism about this team. Sadly, I don't. Like the OP said, next year we'll have new uniforms, a lot of new players, and hopefully a new GM and HC. I'll be all pumped up for OTAs, TC, and of course a new season. But by next November, I'll probably feel the same way I do today. I hope you're right about Sam, I don't want to even think about another QB search. But let's be real, playing with this organization the best thing Sam will probably be in 5 years is 26.

4 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

At the beginning of the year I had hope.  Hope because we had Sam. I’m losing hope now because of Bowles and company. Without there is only despair and that’s where this franchise it headed once again.... the patriots will win their ,seems like 100th afc east crown and we still have no answers.  Ownership sucks.  Our coach has overstayed his welcome and it seems  we are going to destroy a promising young QB by not giving him any support. We never do anything right. While we have had a little success we never finish the job, from parcels, to Edwards, to Mangini, to Farve, to Fitz, the story is always the same in the end.  We don’t even play in our own stadium. 

Next year we change uniforms, probably coaches once again and have a new slew of players. But I still do not see anyway we compete with the likes of Brady, Mahomes, Rothlisberger, brees etc. Since 2012 we have 14 games, 14 GAMES! Where we have not scored a touchdown of any kind. Our franchise is a perrinial loser. The culture needs to change and how does that happen.  I for one have no answers. I’ll never give up but I’m losing interest. 

+1

Skipped the game yesterday.  No regrets.

Plan to skip the game this coming week too.

Honestly, there are just many better, more enjoyable, more rewarding ways to spend my time and effort at this point in my life.

Not saying I'm going to stop following the team or commenting here or the like. 

Just not going to treat the NY Jets like a Religion and the game like Church.

Life is, sadly, too short.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Well said. Problem isn’t 4ints as much as it is how does he start responding to the adversity. 

His supporting cast is probably worst in football bad and he’s being expected to convert 3rd and long repeatedly because we continue to run the first two downs at like a 1.5 yard per carry clip. 

That being said, as much as i love him taking the shots downfield, he seriously needs to learn when to check down more. He’s sometimes making really ill advised throws into traffic when the guy underneath is available for a chunk play. Will come in time i hope. 

I'll tell you one thing I'm sick of after 40+ years: Jets QBs throwing interceptions. I mean seriously. Namath, for all his greatness, was an interception machine. Recent QBs have all been NFL INT leaders--Sanchez, Geno Smith, Fitzpatrick ... now Darnold getting into the act. It's like blunt trauma to the head spanning decades.

It's gotten to the point where I have interceptiphobia - a fear of your team's QB dropping back to pass and releasing the ball.

Since 2000, 5 seasons of 10+ wins (one 11 win season), 5 playoff appearances, 7 sub .500 seasons, 1st in the division one time (yes, we know why), 2 AFC Championship appearances (the highlight for me)...it's not the absolute worst, but it's pretty ******* bad if you ask me.  Bowles inspires no confidence or interest from me.  Sam got me reinvigorated and, well, now look where we are...

20 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I'll tell you one thing I'm sick of after 40+ years: Jets QBs throwing interceptions. I mean seriously. Namath, for all his greatness, was an interception machine. Recent QBs have all been NFL INT leaders--Sanchez, Geno Smith, Fitzpatrick ... now Darnold getting into the act. It's like blunt trauma to the head spanning decades.

It's gotten to the point where I have interceptiphobia - a fear of your team's QB dropping back to pass and releasing the ball.

agreed on this.  And we got another one.  INT machine.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

So are diehard fans especially those that purchase PSL's and season tickets. 

I attended the Minnesota game with a group of 53 people we all sat in the lower end zone 123, I also think the JetNation group sat close with a very large crowd. 

So this tells me PSL's and season tickets are far from sold out if large groups can purchase tickets in the LL end zone. 

Years ago this was unheard of. 

@SAR I  if he still participates in this forum for years he insisted PSL's were SOLD OUT when in FACT they aren't the NY Jets are selling seats on a single game basis. 

That should tell the organization WE HAVE A PROBLEM. 

We really don;t need to call out posters. Especially ones no longer here. Yes!!! Those seats Max got us for the Vikes were amazing!

23 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

We really don;t need to call out posters. Especially ones no longer here. Yes!!! Those seats Max got us for the Vikes were amazing!

Not calling anyone out in a negative way wanted his expertise and explanation on this situation. 

His ban will be lifted soon I thought. 

Sorry for any miscommunication in my post. 

29 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Well said. Problem isn’t 4ints as much as it is how does he start responding to the adversity. 

His supporting cast is probably worst in football bad and he’s being expected to convert 3rd and long repeatedly because we continue to run the first two downs at like a 1.5 yard per carry clip. 

That being said, as much as i love him taking the shots downfield, he seriously needs to learn when to check down more. He’s sometimes making really ill advised throws into traffic when the guy underneath is available for a chunk play. Will come in time i hope. 

For sure.  Big Ben threw 5 picks in a home game last year in a game and he has the best WR in Football, arguably the best RB in Football, an elite OL and numerous other weapons at his disposal that are better than anyone on the Jets.   Aaron Rodgers has numerous games with 3 picks (though never 4 haha).  

It happens.  You just have to bounce back.  The kid is a baby and clunker like this was bound to happen.  Not surprised at all it was Sunday.  Terrible match up for the Jets and Gase owns Bowles.  And you know what?  He might have another and that's ok. 

He's reeling right now.  He's never played Football this bad in his life.  Everything we hear about him, he's capable of handling the adversity.  I'm honestly not worried about Sam, well, that's not true.  I'm worried that he's in the worst situation in Football with a franchise that doesnt know how to make it better. 

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

If you just purchase some PSL's they'll put a quality product on the field. Or maybe not. Just pay up and quit whining, OK?

I cant imagine what type of slogan or selling points those poor ticket agents are having to come up with up these days. 

41 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

agreed on this.  And we got another one.  INT machine.

Had two outright dropped yesterday as well. I've been fairly critical of Darnold to date, but maintained he looked at least baseline level competent. Yesterday was Geno/Sanchez worst game bad you're going to ruin the locker room bad.

47 minutes ago, section314 said:

Peyton Manning threw 28 INT's his rookie year, I believe.

Not trying to be a wiseacre, but that stat has been beaten to death here. Peyton's int total from over 20 years ago is totally irrelevant to Sam's or any other rookie QB in this era of football. There is nothing anywhere that guarantees a rookie QB will come off a bad rookie year and magically mature into a HOF QB.  I am on record stating I didn't care how many wins we had this year, it was about developing Sam. The 3-6 record isn't what's bothering me, its the WAY we are losing. For example, if Miami beat us 38-31 yesterday, I'd be fine with it. It would've meant Sam was progressing, putting points up, and there was hope for the future. But lets be honest, for a lot of reasons, this offense sucks, and Sam has been one of them. Yesterday he was a disaster. If a Bridgewater, or McCown was putting up the numbers Sam has, we'd be going nuts. I get that we need to be patient and hope for him to be a FCB, but I'm just not seeing what the guys who say they "have no doubt about Sam" have been watching. The kid isn't improving, in fact there are times he looks like he's going backward. That said, cue the "considering he has no weapons, OL, or C, or HC, OC, he's been great crowd." They've got valid points, but c'mon, the kid needs to step it up some too.

Archived