How demoralized would you be if Darnold busts?

VinnyT16

55 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Wrong like always. He played in a pro system his freshman year when he set the world on fire. Ask @HelenOfTroy 

Bit you always act like you know what you’re talking about lol. Give it a rest dude.

31 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Concept wise, yes. I expect pro systems to hold more formations from under center.

19 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

A highlight video is what you give me?? Most big plays in college happen during shot gun, spread formation and you give me a highlight video littered with just that!?

Yeah Bit deserves a call out and you do too. Are you kidding me? The tweet that Bit posted holds more weight than this.

14 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The tweet proved me wrong TO AN EXTENT. I didn’t dispute that. The highlight video though? Hell no...lol just..no

Less than three months ago, this dude decided to die on the the "Eric Allen is a legit reporter" hill. JN is a flat circle.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

My question is why we keep finding supposed franchise guys who throw mountains of picks?

My question is why do we always find HC/gm combo who only care about the defense ?? John Morton had less of offense to work with last yr and he got very good stats out of josh fing McCown, and somehow found creative ways to get the ball to Robbie when everyone knew that was our only legit weapon. But he was fired for “passing too much “ according to Todd Bowles, and ignored Bowles when he was told to run it more ?.. don’t worry, I think we finally hire a HC who is offensive minded for first time in this century, and a gm who wouldn’t pick a kicker over a edge rusher in the draft if his bpa calculator says to ?

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

You do know the Pats RB situation is dire. That is why they are playing this guy as a RB. 

Sill not as dire as our situation here James White is healthy and better than any of our RB's Sony Michel was a great draft pick.

Patriots find a way is my point. 

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You do know the Pats RB situation is dire. That is why they are playing this guy as a RB. 

I think the point is that Bowles wouldn't look for an athletic guy who could play the position and would sign some street free agent who's listed as an "RB" because obviously an RB can only play in the RB spot.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sorry, but I don't give a **** about concepts.  I care about facts.  You called out @bitonti based on "concept wise?"  Bit gave you the 2017 stats with the same HC and OC.  Maybe you should cehck with @HelenOfTroy  As far as I can tell, they don't do it - Should Darnold have taken snaps under center? ...I kept saying that all year last year. It does not make sense to me that it is not at least a part of our offense. Maybe they are saving it for a big game down the road.

Here is a 5 minute video of 2016 highlights.  Point out the snap from under center. I didn't see any. 

USC ran this ridiculous "gumbo" offense.....supposedly pro style with spread concepts, which included snaps primarily under shotgun.  We were screaming for the QB to take the snap under center at the goal line and 3rd & 1.  OC lost his play calling job.

Jared Geoff never took a snap under center in college.....a good coach can coach a QB to success from a straight spread to the pros.  

It's also about ownership., and the reputation out there is not positive.

1 hour ago, HelenOfTroy said:

USC ran this ridiculous "gumbo" offense.....supposedly pro style with spread concepts, which included snaps primarily under shotgun.  We were screaming for the QB to take the snap under center at the goal line and 3rd & 1.  OC lost his play calling job.

Jared Geoff never took a snap under center in college.....a good coach can coach a QB to success from a straight spread to the pros.  

It's also about ownership., and the reputation out there is not positive.

So, he didn't take snaps under center?  Cool.  I think we figured that out.  It doesn't matter, because now that it has been established, he doesn't care anyway.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Good thing that I don’t honestly care.

Amazing what good coaching does, no?  

Patrick Mahomes sat on the bench most of his rookie year, and he came out of an offense that snapped the ball out of the shotgun, like Jared Goff.  

Coaching counts, so does a franchise culture.

6 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Amazing what good coaching does, no?  

Patrick Mahomes sat on the bench most of his rookie year, and he came out of an offense that snapped the ball out of the shotgun, like Jared Goff.  

Coaching counts, so does a franchise culture.

Yeah coaching is major as hell. People saying that playing out of shotgun so often is the catalyst for his struggles are .............. silly.

and that’s being nice. Cool, I was wrong about his under center snap count. Whatever. But it doesn’t change the fact of the matter.

Baker came from a gimmick OU offense that has Kyler Murray looking like a star, Pat Mahomes air raid offense was even more of a gimmick system and these fools think that Sam’s problem is the college system.

now THAT is gold @#27TheDominator

28 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yeah coaching is major as hell. People saying that playing out of shotgun so often is the catalyst for his struggles are .............. silly.

and that’s being nice. Cool, I was wrong about his under center snap count. Whatever. But it doesn’t change the fact of the matter.

Baker came from a gimmick OU offense that has Kyler Murray looking like a star, Pat Mahomes air raid offense was even more of a gimmick system and these fools think that Sam’s problem is the college system.

now THAT is gold @#27TheDominator

You make no sense. 

He played shotgun his entire career.  You were wrong.  Nobody, not one person in this thread, suggested that the reason he is struggling is because of his college O. Bit pointed out that the reason they don't have him doing 3-5 step drops is because he has always played from the shotgun.  You incorrectly disputed that and here we are with you spouting this bullsh*t argument against a strawman, to which you have somehow attached my name.

If you really don't care, then shut up about it.  

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You make no sense. 

He played shotgun his entire career.  You were wrong.  Nobody, not one person in this thread, suggested that the reason he is struggling is because of his college O. Bit pointed out that the reason they don't have him doing 3-5 step drops is because he has always played from the shotgun.  You incorrectly disputed that and here we are with you spouting this bullsh*t argument against a strawman, to which you have somehow attached my name.

If you really don't care, then shut up about it.  

Gold I say. 

Gold.

Maybe its more about being able to throw the ball to the open receiver than it is the system. Mayfield, Goff, and Mahomes all demonstrated that over a longer period of time than Danrold did. Generally passes thrown/starts are where you start when evaluating QB's.

That being said, obviously Darnold can still be good, but its why QBASE wasnt overly high on him.

19 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Can everyone just take a breath and understand he is a 21 year old rookie with horrible coaches and terrible offensive support. I feel like I said a thousand times already.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

and yet amazingly, until you brought it up, nobody else realized any of this! :cheergal:

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ehh I honestly don’t care dude. It’s common knowledge that under center formations are in a ton of pro system rather than not. That’s what I went off of and feel that was fair.

So you argued with people who were using empirical evidence in actual video form based on your understanding of what nonsense jargon means AND YOU FEEL THAT WAS FAIR. Okay. You’re a lunatic.

Don't know if this was mentioned before since I didn't read through the whole thread, but I came across this stat that made me feel slightly better today. 

Player A though Nov. 5 of his rookie season: 1,873 yards, 11 TD, 16 INT, 55% completion, 6.4 Y/A, 64.5 rating. Player B through Nov. 5 in his rookie season: 1,934 yards, 11 TD, 14 INT, 55% completion, 6.7 Y/A, 68.3 rating. Player A is Peyton Manning. Player B is Sam Darnold.

I still have high hopes for Sam, but the Jets need to fire everyone (Macc, Bowles and both their staffs) & get some offensive talent for him to reach his full potential.

I might be angry but not demoralized - this is entertainment 

The Jets had the perfect situation and either the Johnsons meddled or Mac screwed this up on his own and should be fired now, how easy was this;

• Start Teddy for a few games until he got hurt, traded for a day 1 pick, regressed or went on a Super Bowl run (not likely but would have been ok)
  • Start McCown vs good pass rush teams (let him earn his $ with a few lumps) teach by example
  • In between, play Sam in favorable conditions, red zone, garbage time, etc.. develop his skills, build his confidence  

Start Sam when ready or needed, let him be the hero instead of throwing him in the deep end, hoping he learns to swim before drowning 

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I struggle to see what coaches have to do with it 

Let me put this into terms that you'd understand. Sam is a delicious, 25-pound organic turkey, and the coaches are the basting juices. Doesn't matter how awesome that turkey is going into the oven, because if you don't baste the thing, it'll come out dry as f*** and completely useless to all but the most starved consumers.

10 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Let me put this into terms that you'd understand. Sam is a delicious, 25-pound organic turkey, and the coaches are the basting juices. Doesn't matter how awesome that turkey is going into the oven, because if you don't baste the thing, it'll come out dry as f*** and completely useless to all but the most starved consumers.

Fire Bowles!

15 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

This is probably closer to being literally accurate than what you guys actually think coaches do.

23 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This is probably closer to being literally accurate than what you guys actually think coaches do.

Pretty much. If the kid sucks, he's going to suck, despite us "ruining" him. If he's the goods, then he's going to figure it out. 

Having been around collegiate and professional coaches, the vast majority are can't-play-anymore favors who just stick around long enough that people think they deserve subsequently better jobs. There are very few legitimately intelligent and ingenious individuals in the coaching sphere who would succeed in other venues, because they have translatable skills. There's no doubt in my mind Belichik would have been successful in whatever field he chose. It's also not surprising there's guys bouncing around the league who fail wherever they go.  

Mark Twain once said “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

All these doom and gloom threads about Darnold busting are simply laughable.

A rookie’s QB’s 1st is suppose to be a roller coaster ride so everyone please take it easy. There’s a new regime  a coming next season you can all bellyache about the new coach then.

Archived