Possible HC Candidates

KRL

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Cowher sits on a CBS TV set breaking down highlights.

Gruden has been closer to the game than Cowher over the last decade and how is that shaking out?

Cowher has always strictly been a coach...and now we’re talking about pigeonholing him into a VP/GM role that he has zero experience in to my knowledge?

No thanks

Sounds like Phil Jackson taking the Knicks job only 10x worse 

Call me stupid for having an optimistic thought.....is it possible that outsiders see a team that actually has some potential? Defense isn’t bad and missing a pass rusher, offense needs a few weapons and an o-line overhaul. FQB is already in place plus they have the built in excuse of Sam not being “their guy” and who they drafted which can give them a 2nd chance at QB if things go south.

Our team is playing BELOW it’s potential. Their are many flaws but the coaching staff is hurting this team (Sam specifically) more than helping. Maybe we will be an attractive destination for once. We put in our time with a god awful regime which shows patience and that’s music to a head coach/GM’s ears. Or maybe they see the Jets owners for the suckers that they are and it’s easy money. These reasons should help us get a quality candidate but I’m sure we will F it up somehow. 

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Call me stupid for having an optimistic thought.....is it possible that outsiders see a team that actually has some potential? Defense isn’t bad and missing a pass rusher, offense needs a few weapons and an o-line overhaul. FQB is already in place plus they have the built in excuse of Sam not being “their guy” and who they drafted which can give them a 2nd chance at QB if things go south.

Our team is playing BELOW it’s potential. Their are many flaws but the coaching staff is hurting this team (Sam specifically) more than helping. Maybe we will be an attractive destination for once. We put in our time with a god awful regime which shows patience and that’s music to a head coach/GM’s ears. Or maybe they see the Jets owners for the suckers that they are and it’s easy money. These reasons should help us get a quality candidate but I’m sure we will F it up somehow. 

If I am a GM candidate this is where I want to be, unless I don't like Darnold.  They are a few picks short, but have a ton of money and not much wasted salary. I would love the chance to mold a roster. This team isn't really locked in with any player beyond Trumaine Johnson.

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

My argument for years for trading up, doing whatever it took to draft a blue chip QB prospect was that even if it meant suffering for a couple of years, it would finally make this an attractice job for a potential HC.

- We have a 21 year old rookie who has the potential to be elite.

- 100 million to spend

- Just about all of our draft picks

- A GM with no spine who will draft whatever kind of player the HC wants, or a new gm that you’ll be involved in hiring

- Young talented defense.

I think this is going to be an attractive job for any potential HC.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

My argument for years for trading up, doing whatever it took to draft a blue chip QB prospect was that even if it meant suffering for a couple of years, it would finally make this an attractice job for a potential HC.

- 100 million to spend

- A GM with no spine who will draft whatever kind of player the HC wants, or a new gm that you’ll be involved in hiring

That’s the only hope that we can have. Suffering for 4 years needs to pay off somehow. 

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

- 100 million to spend

On paper I agree. The one caveat is "incompetent ownership" which is probably the worst trait a team can have.

3 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

McCarthy is one of the reason why Rodgers became Rodgers in the first place.....

Not a perfect coach but if fired would def land another gig....

Talk to Packers fans and you'll see-- they hate him. If you think Bowles' game management is bad...  

There is no way in HELL McCarthy should come here.  

McCarthy is bad. 

why can't macc just pick a new head coach, or fire both and hire a GM that will pick his own HC? Isn't that how it is supposed to work. I am good with any any offensive coach, but the KC guy sure sounds good to me, I don't think their QB is better than ours. He just has a offensive system that does not hold him back. 

If we fire Macc I am good with it. If we keep him Im good with it. I think he has show to be able to sign, make moves at an acceptable level. Bowles on the other hand showed us again he is horrible, how do you not notice your center with a dislocated finger can snap int he shotgun for the entire game. He literally waited until it gave the other team points and then kept doing it...**** I hate these assholes.

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

McCarthy 

Mcdaniels 

Bienemy 

Jets should offer McDaniels a offer he can’t refuse. He is exactly what we need. A young strict offensive mind for once as HC.

Plus I’d  love to see pats miss out on their heir for HC, just like they lost they qb.. 

3 hours ago, Stark said:

Maybe, but lets say that, for whatever reason only Bowles is fired. Defilippo would have, 21 yr old Sam and $100 million to make this offense his. That is 2 big positives, when considering the Defense doesn't need a lot (pass rusher as always). Mac would be dumb not to get Defilippo whatever he wanted. 

Obviously knows the Jets like him. Didn't they try to talk to him the last two years and Philly said no?

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Obviously knows the Jets like him. Didn't they try to talk to him the last two years and Philly said no?

I think, IIRC, they actually blocked us from talking to him - or promoted him to keep us from doing so.

5 hours ago, KRL said:

I did some quick research on replacements with an offensive background
on the pro level:

Todd Monken (TB OC) 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Monken

Matt LaFleur (TEN OC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_LaFleur

John DeFilippo (MIN OC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_DeFilippo

Eric Bieniemy (KC OC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Bieniemy

Peter Carmichael (NO OC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Carmichael_Jr.

Mark Helfrich (CHI OC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Helfrich_(American_football)

Randy Fichtner (PIT OC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Fichtner

Bill Lazor (CIN OC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Lazor

who cares about off or def,,a smart coach will get a strong coordinator for other side of ball.. I want the best HC no matter where he made his bones

4 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

who cares about off or def,,a smart coach will get a strong coordinator for other side of ball.. I want the best HC no matter where he made his bones

I hear what you are saying. The issue and reason why I prefer O is that success under defensive coaches is not sustainable. Let’s say we get a good offensive coordinator...that will just leave for a HC job somewhere else. Also, these D guys are so conservative. They are willing to throw all our blitz on D but then want to run run pass. 

If Bruce Arians ever returns to the NFL as a head coach, it will only be for the Cleveland Browns.

"Cleveland is the only job I would consider," he told reporters Sunday when asked if he would be interested in coaching again, per Steve Doerschuk of CantonRep.com.

When asked who he would hire for Cleveland's head coaching position after the season, however, Arians said his guy would be former Indianapolis Colts head coach Chuck Pagano

This article will be updated to provide more information on this story as it becomes available.

Get the best sports content from the web and social in the new B/R app. Get the app and get the game.

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

The giants won 2 super bowls in 5 years and their owner is a skinny Mr. Magoo

Right but they had the proper infrastructure in place (Coughlin) prior to that owner having any real power. Now that Coughlin and Acorsi are long gone we're only suddenly starting to see how incompetent John Mara is.

Plus those SB teams were pretty fluky. 19-13 combined records.

4 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

If either Harbaugh is available you absolutely have to find a way to hire them. There won’t be anybody else available with a better resume, and we need to try an experienced head coach this time around, with the prior three having none. 

that was one of main complaints is hiring folks w/zero Coordinator experience, or 2 years experience or never being a HC before. and worst is Woody doing NFL a favor with Herm hire. The guy was never even a damn coordinator. We hired a secondary coach as HC to make NFL happy and maybe get NY a Super Bowl, who knows.

It will be really interesting to see what happens. With Darnold here it's time to get offensive. My 1st choice is by far Mike Shannahan. He's always been Belichicks cryptonite & would have Sam Darnold up to speed & surrounded with talent & an actual offensive system precisely when Belichick is mulling retirement on Nantucket & Brady finds it harder & harder to show up for camp. I'm thinking 2/3 years so Sam would be 23/24 years old hitting his prime. 

Also Shanahan is familiar with Dennison who can be completely honest with him about who needs to go on the Oline & help him in the draft & free agency to replace the sh*tshow we watch every Sunday with this incompetent line

I know it seems like a long shot at a chance for Mike Shanahan but there is another positive sell to him other than Darnold, control, 106 million & most of their draft picks including 2 third rounders. A pretty damn good defense that has UNDERPERFORMED under Bowles. Mike had a horrible defense when he was at Washington. Another positive is how sweet would it be to fill the vacuum left by knocking the Pats off of their pedestal? I don't think there was ever any love lost between Shanahan & Belichick, but BB always showed a mutual respect for Shanahans coaching acumen, something he's never shown for Rex or Bowles.

Defilipo or Carmichael are my backup plans. Who ever can fix this offense will have a DC benefitting from finally playing with some leads. I think Shepard & Foly are ready to roll next year, so other than pass rusher, 90% of assets can be used to fix the offense! So that would be like 95 million in free agency & 7 draft picks including a high 1st rounder. 

Archived