Possible HC Candidates

KRL

Arians will never back stab his buddy by taking his job. So, scratch him off the list.

I know We're all belly aching after another gut wrenching loss today. But it's only game 9. I say that because I don't see how Bowles gets the axe beforehand UNLESS the Bills spank us come Sunday.

But whatever or whenever it happens...No more first time head coaches, PLEASE!

Holmgren, Cowher or Shaw

back up da truck

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Arians will never back stab his buddy by taking his job. So, scratch him off the list.

I know We're all belly aching after another gut wrenching loss today. But it's only game 9. I say that because I don't see how Bowles gets the axe beforehand UNLESS the Bills spank us come Sunday.

Holmgren, Cowher or Shaw

back up da truck

agree, experience needed and Jets wont fire Bowle mid season UNLESS the guy they promote they think is 2019 HC and I dont see it.. Also IF Jets already are talking to a stud experienced HC for 2019, they wont fudge things up by firing mid season ,,god forbid the interim HC wins last 4 games against teams resting theier starters and Woody panics

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/29/mike-shanahan-thinks-jets-offense-will-impress-in-2018/amp/

Interesting article with quotes from Mike Shanahan on the Jets.

To summarize, he thought the Jets offense would surprise this year. He thinks we have a smart offensive coaching staff including Bates, Dennison and Dorrell.

Have to say, now I’m confused. So Mike Shanahan essentially signed off on our offensive coaches. 

6 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/29/mike-shanahan-thinks-jets-offense-will-impress-in-2018/amp/

To summarize, he thought the Jets offense would surprise this year. He thinks we have a smart offensive coaching staff including Bates, Dennison and Dorrell.

Have to say, now I’m confused. So Mike Shanahan essentially signed off on our offensive coaches. 

I'm sure he had no clue the Oline was a complete dumpster fire. 5 teams in a row scorched the Fins on the ground & this crew couldn't get more than a yard at a time. Pathetic!

23 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'm sure he had no clue the Oline was a complete dumpster fire. 5 teams in a row scorched the Fins on the ground & this crew couldn't get more than a yard at a time. Pathetic!

Probably. It’s just kind of interesting because our offense looks so behind the times. But then you have someone like Shanahan praising our coaches. So it’s either Bowles is getting in the way or Darnold is not ready. Or to your point the personnel is just horrendous. The issue with the personnel is that it was worse last year yet we played better.

46 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Holmgren, Cowher or Shaw

back up da truck

Holmgrem or cowher?? How about someone from this decade??  

I'm holding out hope that the Raiders part ways with their GM, since it seems Gruden already has the keys, and we can coax him into running the show here. That'd be a viable option for me with the little knowledge I have, and then he can find a head coach, possibly DeFilippo. I mean, our franchise is doomed no matter what, and in 3-4 years it'll be the same thing we are talking about right now, but a guy can dream.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

It will be really interesting to see what happens. With Darnold here it's time to get offensive. My 1st choice is by far Mike Shannahan. He's always been Belichicks cryptonite & would have Sam Darnold up to speed & surrounded with talent & an actual offensive system precisely when Belichick is mulling retirement on Nantucket & Brady finds it harder & harder to show up for camp. I'm thinking 2/3 years so Sam would be 23/24 years old hitting his prime. 

Also Shanahan is familiar with Dennison who can be completely honest with him about who needs to go on the Oline & help him in the draft & free agency to replace the sh*tshow we watch every Sunday with this incompetent line

I know it seems like a long shot at a chance for Mike Shanahan but there is another positive sell to him other than Darnold, control, 106 million & most of their draft picks including 2 third rounders. A pretty damn good defense that has UNDERPERFORMED under Bowles. Mike had a horrible defense when he was at Washington. Another positive is how sweet would it be to fill the vacuum left by knocking the Pats off of their pedestal? I don't think there was ever any love lost between Shanahan & Belichick, but BB always showed a mutual respect for Shanahans coaching acumen, something he's never shown for Rex or Bowles.

Defilipo or Carmichael are my backup plans. Who ever can fix this offense will have a DC benefitting from finally playing with some leads. I think Shepard & Foly are ready to roll next year, so other than pass rusher, 90% of assets can be used to fix the offense! So that would be like 95 million in free agency & 7 draft picks including a high 1st rounder. 

This all seems fairly rational, but why do you think "Foly" is going to be "ready to roll next year?  He has not played a single snap. He is obviously well behind Shepherd, who also has not shown much. 

Why the rush to get rid of Mac?

He's hit on a couple of very notably good picks: Adams, Darnold, Williams. He's done a decent job with FAs, IMO.

And let's not forget, Mac used the Hackett-led Jets "talent scouting" personnel for his first draft. I think he's gotten better and I like what he's done overall. But, it's probably time to jettison Todd Bowles, a nice man but his teams are too pedestrian and, offensively, have not shown any real progress. That's not surprising because they have the same bums they've had for several years now. 

I don't know, my arguments make me wish for a clean sweep but I just can't go through that again. I think Mac is ok, and, hell, if he had a real NFL coach, he might be more than enough. But these Same Old Jets performances are not acceptable anymore.

56 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This all seems fairly rational, but why do you think "Foly" is going to be "ready to roll next year?  He has not played a single snap. He is obviously well behind Shepherd, who also has not shown much. 

Because Bowles doesn't develop anyone or sit veterans making more money. A new coach will come in & challenge these young guys. Yes, I'm hopeful, because I don't even think Todd Bowles really knows what he's doing.

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

That's because they're running his system...  or an abbreviated version of it.

Bates and Dennison are disciples of his..  not sure why people don't get that. 

I don't understand the love for Mark Sanchez' QB coach DeFillipo.  I don't want a 1st time HC with 1 year of coordinator experience.

Get a head coach - whether it be from college or the pros.  I searched around last night and David Shaw and Chris Peterson kept popping up.  Peterson in particular looks pretty intriguing.  Go get him.

Whole point; Woody Johnson is not going to hire a Sean McVay. His Next Big Search ALWAYS ends with a middling career assistant. That is not going to cut it any more. 

The Monkens happen to be cousins-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Monken

Throw out this year's record, know this guy is going to be special

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Chesney

Same idea; got on The Next Guy before another retread DC;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Moorhead

8 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Great HCs know how to hire young talented assistants. Bowles is not good, and by not good I mean bad, at this aspect of his job. 

Sonny at this point it is embarrassing!  

You are 100% correct.....

Bowles has in some ways the worst staff in the entire NFL!!

15 minutes ago, Pac said:

I don't understand the love for Mark Sanchez' QB coach DeFillipo.  I don't want a 1st time HC with 1 year of coordinator experience.

Get a head coach - whether it be from college or the pros.  I searched around last night and David Shaw and Chris Peterson kept popping up.  Peterson in particular looks pretty intriguing.  Go get him.

Shaw's an offensive coach but probably just as conservative as Todd Bowles , want no part of him . Peterson is ok , but I'd rather see someone like Justin Fuente or Mike Norvell if we go the college route.

Personally, IMO what the NYJ need is someone who has some degree of NFL CREDIBILITY at either the GM or say a VP/Head of football operations level as opposed to people like Bowles and Macc....these guys have a very limited pool of people to draw on as Coordinators and asssistants...hence OC's like Morton and Bates.

Shanahan would be such a hire...if not as a HC, then as a Head of Football Operations say.  He knows people ;).

11 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I’d hate McCarthy

Rodgers has had to carry that team every step of the way over the last 8 years.

Yes, Rodgers is a bad man but he ad-libs a lot so it's hard to judge McCarthy's play calling. I'm sure he tolerates Rodgers because he is mostly on point. But if he made a lot of dumb mistakes winging it all the time, I bet you McCarthy wouldn't be so passive. 

14 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Mike Shanahan 

Why the hell anyone wants to go the rookie coach route yet again is beyond me.

I want an established, credible offensive coach who gives me damn good odds of putting Darnold on the right path to develop into a Top 10 QB for the next decade plus.

That’s the highest priority 

Shanahan would be great.  I don't know how many years he has left in him, but he's a QB and RB's best friend.

15 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Mike Shanahan 

Why the hell anyone wants to go the rookie coach route yet again is beyond me.

I want an established, credible offensive coach who gives me damn good odds of putting Darnold on the right path to develop into a Top 10 QB for the next decade plus.

That’s the highest priority 

Funny, because I'm the exact opposite. I don't understand why people clamor for retreads that have bounced around from team to time. I subscribe to the theory of "if they're so great, why were they fired numerous times?"

Come late January 2019, The Johnsons will declare that Hue Jackson meets all the criteria that Jets fans demand of the new HC:

• Offense-minded and coaching background 
  • Record of "grooming" young QBs
  • Previous HC experience at the NFL level (2x!!!)
  • A known name that is well regarded amongst the NFL brass and coaching fraternity

I don't like it, nor wish it, but I wouldn't be surprised one iota if it were to occur. 

6 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Come late January 2019, The Johnsons will declare that Hue Jackson meets all the criteria that Jets fans demand of the new HC:

• A known name that is well regarded amongst the NFL brass and coaching fraternity

I don't like it, nor wish it, but I wouldn't be surprised one iota if it were to occur. 

Believe me I am saying this with Zero racist intent the only real qualifications he meets are the NFL Rooney rule qualifiers. Bowles and Jackson have shown equal inability  to be a Head Coach in the NFL.

19 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I would really like an experienced HC from the offensive side of the ball.

Really no idea who that might be, as quality experienced HCs don't shake loose too often.

Of the hot OC names, I'd go for DeFilippo.

What about giving Norv Turner another shot

6 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

How about the other harbaugh, he ran a good house in SF before they canned him..

Either harbaugh would be a huge upgrade.

Agree.  0.0 chance we get Jim Michigan may be making the college fb playoffs

John we have a shot at if the Ravens are dumb enough to fire him

6 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Want some cheese with your whine?

5 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Believe me I am saying this with Zero racist intent the only real qualifications he meets are the NFL Rooney rule qualifiers. Bowles and Jackson have shown equal ability to be a Head Coach in the NFL.

Want some grapes with your whine?

The Jets need a  legit V.P of Football Operations.  An older ex-successful head coach to supervise and hire the GM and HC.  The Johnsons aren’t capable of running this the way it should.  Bring in Shanahan in this role, let him hire the GM and HC, and then mold the philosophy of how he wants this team to play.  The current structure isn’t working, hasn’t worked.  Search firms, Casserly and Co., produced the same dysfunctional results.  They need a full time, 365 day football guy running the show.  Not just some temp agency that aids in the hiring process.  

Archived