Possible HC Candidates

KRL

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The Jets need a  legit V.P of Football Operations.  An older ex-successful head coach to supervise and hire the GM and HC.  The Johnsons aren’t capable of running this the way it should.  Bring in Shanahan in this role, let him hire the GM and HC, and then mold the philosophy of how he wants this team to play.  The current structure isn’t working, hasn’t worked.  Search firms, Casserly and Co., produced the same dysfunctional results.  They need a full time, 365 day football guy running the show.  Not just some temp agency that aids in the hiring process.  

This is an excellent idea.  

Shanahan is simply too old to be a full time, never sleeping, stressed out NFL coach. It’s just too hard if a job physically at his age. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This is an excellent idea.  

Shanahan is simply too old to be a full time, never sleeping, stressed out NFL coach. It’s just too hard if a job physically at his age. 

Belichick and Carroll seem to be doing alright.

Nick Saban is a year older than Shanahan and is the living god of college football who works tirelessly.

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Belichick and Carroll seem to be doing alright.

Nick Saban is a year older than Shanahan and is the living god of college football who works tirelessly.

Tirelessly paying his players and providing them lavish lifestyles?

I think the Media noise has finally awakened our dead ownership. Sure the local media are like sharks & Joe B, Mike, Serby, Bart are squawking, but the national media are also starting to chime in regarding Bowles. Tony Romo pretty much just killed Bowles & Macc for the complete disregard to the offense on this team. The guys at halftime, Boomer, Cowher ect. were poking fun at them. Bowles has managed to turn the Jets back into a laughing stock again. 

Last year everyone got a pass because that national media wondered if they could even win a game. This year, fans of other teams watch in horror, seeing a 21 year old run for his life behind a horrible line, with a Center who can't even snap him the ball & literally zero players who can separate themselves from a defender. They made a defense giving up 33 points a game, five straight games look like the 85 Bears. 

Everyone on this site knows I've been beating the drum this moron has to go. Amazes me that Jet fans didn't realize it in 2015. All those wins against below .500 teams clouded what they were watching. That team won DESPITE Todd Bowles. You saw what happened when they game mattered most in Buffalo. 

5 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Tirelessly paying his players and providing them lavish lifestyles?

Whatever he’s doing, it’s sure as hell working.

And he’s a guy who is 67 years old, at the very top of his game, and pretty much works around the clock.

Clearly he isn’t too old to handle it.

And a guy like Shanahan is a football lifer. He basically ran the Broncos entire organization for the last decade he was there and pretty much did the same thing with the Redskins except Dan Snyder couldn’t just keep to himself, sign the checks and let Shanahan have final say.

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Whatever he’s doing, it’s sure as hell working.

And he’s a guy who is 67 years old, at the very top of his game, and pretty much works around the clock.

Clearly he isn’t too old to handle it.

And a guy like Shanahan is a football lifer. He basically ran the Broncos entire organization for the last decade he was there and pretty much did the same thing with the Redskins except Dan Snyder couldn’t just keep to himself and let Shanahan have the ultimate say.

Saban is a fraud who routinely breaks the rules and pays players and then gets away with it.  Ditto for Calipari in basketball 

The only big time college coach who recently had success in the nfl was Pete Carroll and that’s because the Seahawks frontnoffice murdered the 2011 and 2012 drafts after trading nothing for Marshawn Lynch

23 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Is McCarthy on the hot seat? If so that's a no brainer.....

Bring Pettine back with him LOL 

My problem with McCarthy is when you look at his body of work, he has done next to nothing WITH AARON RODGERS.

I'd almost be worried that at this point he doesnt know how go coach an O that doesnt have Rodgers. 

1 minute ago, Barkus said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I can’t think of a single college coach who is a good nfl head coach right now. All the recent good hires have been nfls Guys. mcvay, Nagy, Peterson, etc. 

I’d go with either a current nfl assistant or a former nfl head coach

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think the Media noise has finally awakened our dead ownership. Sure the local media are like sharks & Joe B, Mike, Serby, Bart are squawking, but the national media are also starting to chime in regarding Bowles. Tony Romo pretty much just killed Bowles & Macc for the complete disregard to the offense on this team. The guys at halftime, Boomer, Cowher ect. were poking fun at them. Bowles has managed to turn the Jets back into a laughing stock again. 

Last year everyone got a pass because that national media wondered if they could even win a game. This year, fans of other teams watch in horror, seeing a 21 year old run for his life behind a horrible line, with a Center who can't even snap him the ball & literally zero players who can separate themselves from a defender. They made a defense giving up 33 points a game, five straight games look like the 85 Bears. 

Everyone on this site knows I've been beating the drum this moron has to go. Amazes me that Jet fans didn't realize it in 2015. All those wins against below .500 teams clouded what they were watching. That team won DESPITE Todd Bowles. You saw what happened when they game mattered most in Buffalo. 

F*ck the media. Those lazy pieces of sh*t blindly praising Bowles because of his bizarre reputation of being a good coach (LITERALLY ZERO EVIDENCE SO FAR). Also, f*ck our ownership for being blind and just worrying about what others are not saying and thinking “we must be ok even though we are losing because the media is giving us slack and praising us even though internally we can see that our house is on fire”.

I’ve said it before, the National media has a limited amount of time to cover all 32 teams. We suck balls so why would they waste a lot of time on the crappy Jets?  They do not know enough about our Jets to have any credit when it comes to their opinions. That’s why “media” is not a good indicator of how well/bad we are doing. 

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Saban is a fraud who routinely breaks the rules and pays players and then gets away with it.  Ditto for Calipari in basketball 

The only big time college coach who recently had success in the nfl was Pete Carroll and that’s because the Seahawks frontnoffice murdered the 2011 and 2012 drafts after trading nothing for Marshawn Lynch

We’re not talking about the success rate of college coaches transitioning to the pros.

We’re talking about whether being in your mid-60’s is too old to run a football organization. Clearly it hasn’t been too much for guys like Belichick, Saban and Carroll to chew.

I would welcome Shanahan as the HC here with open arms. If he’s more interested in a VP/GM role, that’s more than okay with me as well.

But I certainly don’t think he’s too old to handle the rigors of being an NFL HC.

5 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

F*ck the media. Those lazy pieces of sh*t blindly praising Bowles because of his bizarre reputation of being a good coach (LITERALLY ZERO EVIDENCE SO FAR). Also, f*ck our ownership for being blind and just worrying about what others are not saying and thinking “we must be ok even though we are losing because the media is giving us slack and praising us even though internally we can see that our house is on fire”.

I’ve said it before, the National media has a limited amount of time to cover all 32 teams. We suck balls so why would they waste a lot of time on the crappy Jets?  They do not know enough about our Jets to have any credit when it comes to their opinions. That’s why “media” is not a good indicator of how well/bad we are doing. 

I go back to after the 2016 season when it was completely obvious to anyone with eyes Bowles was really bad nfl head coach

All these idiots pay attention to like Costello, Mehta, Vachianno defending Bowles acting like he only had a bad record because he didn’t have Tom Brady or Peyton Manning

Ira from Staten Island “aka World’s Biggest Todd Bowles fan” calling wfan everyday for 4 years acting like Bowles was better than Bill Parcells

Ive been saying since Fall ‘16 we need to clean house.  Bowles stinks.  His entire staff stinks.  The GM isn’t much better

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

We’re not talking about the success rate of college coaches transitioning to the pros.

We’re talking about whether being in your mid-60’s is too old to run a football organization. Clearly it hasn’t been too much for guys like Belichick, Saban and Carroll to chew.

I would welcome Shanahan as the HC here with open arms. If he’s more interested in a VP/GM role, that’s more than okay with me as well.

But I certainly don’t think he’s too old to handle the rigors of being an NFL HC.

The problem isn’t age.  I think Saban and the other big college guys like Lincoln Riley would suck here

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

The problem isn’t age.  I think Saban and the other big college guys like Lincoln Riley would suck here

Sure, I don’t want anything to do with trying to pluck a coach from the college ranks unless it’s Jim Harbaugh.

But I guarantee Nick Saban at 67 puts in just as much time and effort (if not more) than most HC’s in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I go back to after the 2016 season when it was completely obvious to anyone with eyes Bowles was really bad nfl head coach

All these idiots pay attention to like Costello, Mehta, Vachianno defending Bowles acting like he only had a bad record because he didn’t have Tom Brady or Peyton Manning

Ira from Staten Island “aka World’s Biggest Todd Bowles fan” calling wfan everyday for 4 years acting like Bowles was better than Bill Parcells

Ive been saying since Fall ‘16 we need to clean house.  Bowles stinks.  His entire staff stinks.  The GM isn’t much better

I agree but they couldn’t clean house and look like a total mess that quick. Need a minimum of 3 years to create the illusion of stability.

Here we are in year 4. They should have fired him last year because the success was ONLY due to the offense which was going against his sh*t orders to “run the ball” when they literally couldn’t. 

If he isn’t fired this offseason, my head will explode. Mac needs to go too or keep him and hire a head of football operations to reign him in and then can him if he continues to make bad picks. I want Mac gone 1,000% but just being realistic since I think the 2 idiots running the team will keep him and Bowles will be the scapegoat. 

Personally I want the "brothers Johnson" to swing for the fences and go after
David Shaw (Stanford) or Jim Harbaugh (Michigan) as the next HC.  Maccagnan
however would be against it because those two would be coming in to take
control of the organization.  Maccagnan would want a young pro OC or a young
college HC like Lincoln Riley because a "newbie" wouldn't be equipped to demand
control of the organization

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

I am FAR from being a fan of Saban, but where do you come up with this stuff?  What rules exactly do you think he is breaking?  Plus, you don’t think the rest of college football would blow the whistle on him if they even heard of one improper benefit being given?  

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Sure, I don’t want anything to do with trying to pluck a coach from the college ranks unless it’s Jim Harbaugh.

But I guarantee Nick Saban at 67 puts in just as much time and effort (if not more) than most HC’s in the NFL.

What’s the effort?  “Hi I’m nick Saban I’ll pay you half a million a year salary”

19 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I am FAR from being a fan of Saban, but where do you come up with this stuff?  What rules exactly do you think he is breaking?  Plus, you don’t think the rest of college football would blow the whistle on him if they even heard of one improper benefit being given?  

All these big time college guys pay players 

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I agree but they couldn’t clean house and look like a total mess that quick. Need a minimum of 3 years to create the illusion of stability.

Here we are in year 4. They should have fired him last year because the success was ONLY due to the offense which was going against his sh*t orders to “run the ball” when they literally couldn’t. 

If he isn’t fired this offseason, my head will explode. Mac needs to go too or keep him and hire a head of football operations to reign him in and then can him if he continues to make bad picks. I want Mac gone 1,000% but just being realistic since I think the 2 idiots running the team will keep him and Bowles will be the scapegoat. 

On the bright side we finally have a young qb with talent and cap room

All Mac has to do is replace Bowles with someone semi-capable and sign a bunch of offensive FAs

20 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

On the bright side we finally have a young qb with talent and cap room

All Mac has to do is replace Bowles with someone semi-capable and sign a bunch of offensive FAs

Free agency isn’t what it used to be. Prepare for years of pain. It’s draft or busy and we’ve had 10 years of busting and drafting worse than any other team. You do the math. We are screwed. 

2 hours ago, Barkus said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I can’t think of a single college coach who is a good nfl head coach right now. All the recent good hires have been nfls Guys. mcvay, Nagy, Peterson, etc. 

Bill O'Brien is one. Belichik helped at Navy when his dad was there....does he count??

Lincoln Riley? DeFilippo? Rising minds who could take over Jets

November 6, 2018 | 9:44am

If the Jets fire Todd Bowles at the end of the season, here are five offensive-minded coaches with whom they could replace him (in alphabetical order):

Eric Bieniemy, 49, Chiefs offensive coordinator

The former All-American running back oversees the top-scoring offense in the NFL. Is he the next coach hired from Andy Reid’s staff?

Dan Campbell, 42, Saints assistant head coach/tight ends coach

Campbell went 5-7 as the Dolphins’ interim coach in 2015 and has been learning under Sean Payton ever since. The Colts nearly hired him last year before going with Frank Reich.

John DeFilippo, 40, Vikings offensive coordinator

DeFilippo is in his first year with Minnesota after serving as quarterbacks coach for the Eagles and overseeing Carson Wentz’s development. He is going to be a target for most teams making a coaching change this year.

Matt LaFleur, 38, Titans offensive coordinator

He has worked for both 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan and Rams coach Sean McVay, the two young offensive coaches everyone loves right now. This season has not gone well in Tennessee, though, and the Titans were 30th in total offense entering Monday night.

Lincoln Riley, 35, Oklahoma head coach

The hottest college coaching candidate this year figures to be Riley. The Sooners have the No. 2 offense in the country this season after losing Baker Mayfield to the NFL.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Bill O'Brien is one. Belichik helped at Navy when his dad was there....does he count??

Not sure I would even count O'brien. He is really an NFL guy who did a short stint as college HC and jumped right back to the NFL. 

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Personally I want the "brothers Johnson" to swing for the fences and go after
David Shaw (Stanford) or Jim Harbaugh (Michigan) as the next HC.  Maccagnan
however would be against it because those two would be coming in to take
control of the organization.  Maccagnan would want a young pro OC or a young
college HC like Lincoln Riley because a "newbie" wouldn't be equipped to demand
control of the organization

after the jets fire bowles, there will be all sorts of rumors of who would want the job.  you'll know how much the football world thinks of darnold based on who winds up interviewing for the hc job.  when they hired bowles it was a truly undesirable job with zero talent and no direction.  now they have a 'qb of the future' but the perception of what the offensive-minded hc candidates think of darnold will be interesting, or sobering.

My favorite choice(s) to be the next head coach of the Jets are not on that list. They both share a surname. They are brothers and both very successful at being a head coach at the highest of levels in their profession. Folks, I'm sure you know who I'm talking about. Jim and John Harbaugh. Hiring one of those guys would get me awfully excited as a Jets fan. I hope Woody Johnson will invest in one of them to come here and help build this team into a perennial contender for years to come.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

My favorite choice(s) to be the next head coach of the Jets are not on that list. They both share a surname. They are brothers and both very successful at being a head coach at the highest of levels in their profession. Folks, I'm sure you know who I'm talking about. Jim and John Harbaugh. Hiring one of those guys would get me awfully excited as a Jets fan. I hope Woody Johnson will invest in one of them to come here and help build this team into a perennial contender for years to come.

Woody fired Mangini because he rubbed him the wrong way so I doubt that he and Jim Harbaugh are going to hit it off. Having said that, I'd love to see him given the job and, if he can't turn it around, then fold the franchise because there truly is no hope.

I thought Shanahan was 70 but I still don’t think he would be a good choice as a HC. 

As far as John Harbough (Jim isn’t leaving Michigan) and Dan Campbell both would be good HC choices but both would also need an OC as neither has coordinated an offense or called plays before which is why the GM hire is so important. 

If it’s Mac (it shouldn’t be) or if we promote Hermdinger (which we should) they need to be able to evaluate whether or not Bates has done a good job with the offense and darnold.  There are very few people who know what’s going on in the organization as far as whether or not it’s Bowes influence holding he offense back or if it’s Bates on his own. 

Personally if Bates is thought to be doing a good job with what he has to work with we could keep him and Dennison and bring in a guy like Cambpell to introduce some of the saints concepts into our offense, hold the players acountable, understand how to manage an NFL game and to find a capable defensive coordinator.  That’s not a bad scenario at all

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Lincoln Riley? DeFilippo? Rising minds who could take over Jets

November 6, 2018 | 9:44am

If the Jets fire Todd Bowles at the end of the season, here are five offensive-minded coaches with whom they could replace him (in alphabetical order):

Eric Bieniemy, 49, Chiefs offensive coordinator

The former All-American running back oversees the top-scoring offense in the NFL. Is he the next coach hired from Andy Reid’s staff?

Dan Campbell, 42, Saints assistant head coach/tight ends coach

Campbell went 5-7 as the Dolphins’ interim coach in 2015 and has been learning under Sean Payton ever since. The Colts nearly hired him last year before going with Frank Reich.

John DeFilippo, 40, Vikings offensive coordinator

DeFilippo is in his first year with Minnesota after serving as quarterbacks coach for the Eagles and overseeing Carson Wentz’s development. He is going to be a target for most teams making a coaching change this year.

Matt LaFleur, 38, Titans offensive coordinator

He has worked for both 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan and Rams coach Sean McVay, the two young offensive coaches everyone loves right now. This season has not gone well in Tennessee, though, and the Titans were 30th in total offense entering Monday night.

Lincoln Riley, 35, Oklahoma head coach

The hottest college coaching candidate this year figures to be Riley. The Sooners have the No. 2 offense in the country this season after losing Baker Mayfield to the NFL.

What worries me about Campbell is that I think the Saints success is all about Brees and Payton, similar to the Brady/Belichick situation.  The Belichick coaching tree sucks, all those guys have flamed out as HCs.  Is there even a Sean Payton coaching tree yet? 

As far as Bienemy, LaFleur and DeFilippo go, those guys will only have had one year of play calling experience before becoming a HC, that’s a risky proposition.  Of the three I go DeFilippo, but I see Dorsey in Cleveland being a better fit for him.  

Archived