Jets QB Darnold says he's 'just playing stupid'

Gas2No99

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

He's trying to say the right thing. As a rookie, he can't say, "Welp, we run it on 1st and 2nd too much so I'm forced into situations where I have to try to make something happen on 3rd and long which statistically isn't going to go well for me."

Thank you!!

Folks are quickly blaming Darnold and can't seem to see that the Jets, Bates and Bowles are not putting him a position to succeed.  Play calling and skill talent is awful. and a 21 year old rookie QB, who only has played the position for 3 years can't overcome all that.....

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

And so it begins the national media, in this case pardon the interruption discuss how Darnold is going to cost poor todd bowles his job.  this will be the mantra from here on out, people who do not actually watch the team defending bowels and blasting other parts of the team.

If anyone gives an honest reply to this, they'll get banned. 

19 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!!

Folks are quickly blaming Darnold and can't seem to see that the Jets, Bates and Bowles are not putting him a position to succeed.  Play calling and skill talent is awful. and a 21 year old rookie QB, who only has played the position for 3 years can't overcome all that.....

I'm just gonna throw something out here. How many QBs taken at the top of the 1st round are put in "a position to succeed'? I get what you're saying, he's a kid, the situation is far from ideal. But does that absolve him from any and all criticism and blame?

1 hour ago, Pac said:

McCown did more with less last year.  Still wish they would have given Sam a year on the bench but I guess the silver lining is that this putrid display of football will hopefully be the straw that broke the camels back for Chris Johnson.  Time to fire Bowles.  Please.

McCown also had a different OC...not sure the final verdict on Bates is in yet.

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm just gonna throw something out here. How many QBs taken in the top of the 1st round are put in "a position to succeed'? I get what you're saying, he's a kid, the situation is far from ideal. But does that absolve him from any and all criticism and blame?

Hard pressed to ridicule Sam Darnold though he is making mistakes he is set up to fail here we have a weak OL, no running game and the worse WR's in the NFL..did  I also mention the worst coaching staff. 

COME ON MAN 

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm just gonna throw something out here. How many QBs taken at the top of the 1st round are put in "a position to succeed'? I get what you're saying, he's a kid, the situation is far from ideal. But does that absolve him from any and all criticism and blame?

Recently...

Jared Goff (post Fisher)

Carson Wentz

Patrick Mahomes

Deshaun Watson 

Mitch Trubisky (post fox)

Dak Prescott (obv not 1st round)

50 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Good post.  And the thing is, people expect darnold to be able to overcome all of this and make throw after throw but the reality is that all this stuff makes it much harder for a rookie.  And then he also has wrs who run lazy routes and step out of bounds.  

Also, does anyone else notice that this offense has tanked as soon as Powell got hurt?

I think in the end the run-first philosophy and ultra conservatism offensively has frustrated the players, especially receivers, who bear the brunt of this abominably conservative mindset.

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Hard pressed to ridicule Sam Darnold though he is making mistakes he is set up to fail here we have a weak OL, no running game and the worse WR's in the NFL..did  I also mention the worst coaching staff. 

COME ON MAN 

There's a BIG difference between ridicule and cricize. Where did you see ridicule? COME ON MAN.

36 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!!

I agree I don’t blame Darnold at all we got a garbage team and literally like 8 plays total for the offensive playbook 

18 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

This is why I (and many of us) hoped that Sam would fall to a good team with a winning culture.  I admit, I was hoping he would be reunited with JuJu and sit behind a franchise QB, much like Aaron Rodgers did.  

10 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Recently...

Jared Goff (post Fisher)

Carson Wentz

Patrick Mahomes

Deshaun Watson 

Mitch Trubisky (post fox)

Dak Prescott (obv not 1st round)

I asked @Charlie Brown because I respect his knowledge, and he would understand what I was asking. I knew you would not. I was talking about teams who BASED ON THEIR RECORD WERE PICKING AT THE TOP OF THE DRAFT. But anyway, lets play your game. Goff WAS in in a bad situation his first year. Played horribly, and was criticized. He got lucky with his new coach, who worked to his strengths his second year. Wentz was fortunate to be picked by a VERY GOOD team that moved up to take him. Mahomes, not the top of the draft, but again, a GOOD team moved up to take him So good in fact, he was able to sit a year behind a very good veteran QB.. Watson, Not the top of the draft either and again a very good team, missing ONLY a QB. Trubisky, again a team that moved up, although until they got Mack, not a good situation. Prescott? He doesn't belong on this list, much like Wilson doesn't. But you're always going to be you, aren't you?

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

I asked @Charlie Brown because I respect his knowledge, and he would understand what I was asking. I knew you would not. I was talking about teams who BASED ON THEIR RECORD WERE PICKING AT THE TOP OF THE DRAFT. But anyway, lets play your game. Goff WAS in in a bad situation his first year. Played horribly, and was criticized. He got lucky with his new coach, who worked to his strengths his second year. Wentz was fortunate to be picked by a VERY GOOD team that moved up to take him. Mahomes, not the top of the draft, but again, a GOOD team moved up to take him So good in fact, he was able to sit a year behind a very good veteran QB.. Watson, Not the top of the draft either and again a very good team, missing ONLY a QB. Trubisky, again a team that moved up, although until they got Mack, not a good situation. Prescott? He doesn't belong on this list, much like Wilson doesn't. But you're always going to be you, aren't you?

You’re being non sensical. You asked what QBs drafted in the 1st went into good situations. I gave you the list. Sorry that it doesn’t support whatever idiotic argument you were trying to make.

6 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

This is why I (and many of us) hoped that Sam would fall to a good team with a winning culture.  I admit, I was hoping he would be reunited with JuJu and sit behind a franchise QB, much like Aaron Rodgers did.  

I don't blame you. If I had a son, that's what I'd hope for, the best situation possible. That's why I never understood the criticism the Elway and Manning (with Eli) families got for using the leverage they had.

Just now, nico002 said:

You’re being non sensical. You asked what QBs drafted in the 1st went into good situations. I gave you the list. Sorry that it doesn’t support whatever idiotic argument you were trying to make.

Except I said top of the 1st round, but I should defer to you in any and all idiotic arguments. They're right in  your wheelhouse.

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I don't blame you. If I had a son, that's what I'd hope for, the best situation possible. That's why I never understood the criticism the Elway and Manning (with Eli) families got for using the leverage they had.

Hmmmm, hoping for a better team, and refusing to play for a team that drafts you are two different things.  First, I would not want my son, or nephews to be football players, but I would tell my son that he must go where drafted, a chance you take in your choice of career.  

20 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Hmmmm, hoping for a better team, and refusing to play for a team that drafts you are two different things.  First, I would not want my son, or nephews to be football players, but I would tell my son that he must go where drafted, a chance you take in your choice of career.  

I disagree. If the kid is put in a bad situation, it could ruin his career. With all the money involved, I'd use any leverage I could to get to the best spot possible. I look at it this way, the concept of drafts in sports is set up to benefit the teams and the leagues. There is nothing about it that helps the player. If a kid graduates at the top of their class at USC Law School, is she/he required to sign on with a bad law firm? Only in sports are kids at the top of their class required to take employment where they're told.

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

I disagree. If the kid is put in a bad situation, it could ruin his career. With all the money involved, I'd use any leverage I could to get to the best spot possible. I look at it this way, the concept of drafts in sports is set up to benefit the teams and the leagues. There is nothing about it that helps the player. If a kid graduates at the top of his class at USC Law School, is she/he required to sign on with a bad law firm? Only in sports are kids at the top of their class required to take employment where they're told.

Till the NCAA and the NFL changes the rules, that is how it is, the athlete has the option of not pursuing a career in professional football.  Personally, I feel the NCAA is a corrupt, evil entity that cares nothing for the STUDENT/athlete...nor does the NFL, these kids are auctioned off like cattle.  Dehumanizing.  Get that degree and invest smartly.  

32 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Except I said top of the 1st round, but I should defer to you in any and all idiotic arguments. They're right in  your wheelhouse.

All of those guys were top of 1st sans dak which I pointed out. Wtf you sayin?

16 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Till the NCAA and the NFL changes the rules, that is how it is, the athlete has the option of not pursuing a career in professional football.  Personally, I feel the NCAA is a corrupt, evil entity that cares nothing for the STUDENT/athlete...nor does the NFL, these kids are auctioned off like cattle.  Dehumanizing.  Get that degree and invest smartly.  

Yep. I doubt you'll remember, but you and I had a similar conversation about a week after I joined here back on 9/1. It was the first time I ever talked to you, and it was about college athletics. I told you about how my experience playing D-1 baseball soured me on college sports. You brought up a lot of good points, (mostly about USC, lol) and made me realize I was wrong for using the term "college sports". I loved everything about playing. It was the NCAA that had turned me off. We've kind of come full circle, huh?

Lmao cattle? Make me a cow then. These kids get to play a game for a living and make more in a year than their classmates will make in a lifetime. Don’t want to play professionally? Great- you have a full ride to school you can be whatever you want. 

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

IMO most teams that get the early draft pick are poor but often for teams that have success there is a plan.  

For example look at the Browns.  They were far more talented than us until they had injuries.  Even the Giants are highly talented. You can't put no one around your potential star like the Colts and Luck and expect it to turn out well.

Other teams like the Bills, Miami etc. are poorly run teams and are reflective of no plan and the Jets shouldn't follow their lead under any circumstances. 

We have had over 40 years of lack of plan or preparedness and it is just disheartening.

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

He threw four interceptions in a game that ended up decided by seven points, and literally gave the Dolphins the only TD scored by either team all day. In the second half, when a single drive could have tied the game or given us the lead, we went punt, punt, field goal, punt, punt, missed field goal, pick-six, field goal, interception, interception. We never reached the red zone. The defense held Miami to six points. He was absolutely, positively, 100% the problem yesterday.

Did you smoke a butt after this one?

Ofcourse he's playing stupid.  He played stupid in college too.  He was just able to make up for it more often than not because of the level of competition.  Not the same in the NFL.  He's not good enough yet and the team isnt good enough to overcome those types of mistakes.  It was wishful thinking to think he'd solve these issues 8 games into his NFL career.  This was all bound to happen, you  just have to hope it's a good learning experience and not a damaging one. 

We've seen it all from him now. The good, the ok, the bag, the ugly.  And that's ok.  All of this ok.  This was all going to happen. The second they named Darnold the starter they forfeited the season.  This team wasnt good enough to compete before the season started.  They werent good enough with Teddy and McCown either.  Those dudes werent taking down the Pats or the Chiefs, or the Chargers or Steelers for that matter.  

It's a shame they havent put him in a better situation to not have to go through streaks like this but it is what it is at this point.  And you better hope the reports on him are real and these types of stretches wont break him because you had to know all of this was coming.  He was going to play bad, the team was not on par talent wise and the losses were going to pile up.  Naturally, what comes with this is the firing crowd.  It's a tough spot to put this kid and another reason why nobody is getting fired.  

Yes.  It would be great to see him winning a game like yesterday and not handing it away but it ultimately doesnt matter, as long as he learns from it, moves on and gets better.  This will be a blip on the radar.  

3-13, 4-12, 5-11, 6-12 - what's the difference?  You suck no either way so who cares.  I rather him get these types of games out now rather than when/if/yeah right keep dreaming we have an offense around him at some point.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

I disagree. If the kid is put in a bad situation, it could ruin his career. With all the money involved, I'd use any leverage I could to get to the best spot possible. I look at it this way, the concept of drafts in sports is set up to benefit the teams and the leagues. There is nothing about it that helps the player. If a kid graduates at the top of their class at USC Law School, is she/he required to sign on with a bad law firm? Only in sports are kids at the top of their class required to take employment where they're told.

The thing you're missing is that the NFL is the ONE AND ONLY "firm" that does what they do at, the highest level. All of the Teams are just different "divisions" in the same firm. Look at how Medical Residents get assigned. Heck, sticking with your analogy, regardless of how well they did in Law School, the rookies don't get to play Clarence Darrow in a courtroom, they get stuck doing research and preparing reports. 

Nobody is making anyone play NFL Football. But its literally the only game in town for high level Pro Football. 

Yeah Sam, you are.  He had the one type of game he needed to put doubt in the heads of those hoping he can be "the guy".  Good to see him owning up to it.  Now go out and prove that you're better than this.  If not?  Join the rest of the failures in this teams history.

Archived