What the Jets absolutely need in their next head coach - Serby, NY Post

Gas2No99

Let me PREMISE that as bad as Dick Semen-i can be, this douche-nozzle Sleaze Scurvy for the NY Post is also pretty putrid.

What the Jets absolutely need in their next head coach

Jets coach Todd Bowles is feeling the heat.

Patience stops being a virtue when you begin losing faith that you have the right head coach to guide your young franchise quarterback into this brave new world of nuclear offensive explosions.

As much as the Jets have tried to adhere to a model of continuity and stability, there are no jobs for life (outside of Cincinnati) and no medals for trying.

Todd Bowles is respected as a good football man, and largely as a defensive mind, but the highly likely prospect of four consecutive years out of the playoffs resonates in deafening tones to that long-suffering fan base that is desperate for Sam Darnold to lead the charge up Joe Namath Hill.

There was no rain and mud and no A. J. Duhe at Hard Rock Stadium on Sunday, but in his 14 jersey, Darnold (4 INTs) resurrected unwelcome memories of a former No. 14 in the ill-fated 1982 AFC Championship game Mud Bowl at the Orange Bowl. That makes three consecutive weeks where the young pilot has encountered far too much turbulence, and alarm bells are ringing everywhere.

“I thought I played stupid football yesterday,” Darnold said on a Monday conference call. “I just gotta be better, and I know that, coaches know that, everyone knows it.”

While it is true general manager Mike Maccagnan, whose masterful maneuvering helped land Darnold, has failed to find a predator pass rusher or a go-to wide receiver, if the Giants can make two-time Super Bowl champ Tom Coughlin the fall guy for former GM Jerry Reese’s failed drafts, then the Jets can make Bowles their fall guy. Coughlin’s last three years: 7-9, 6-10, 6-10. Bowles’ last three years: 5-11, 5-11, 3-6.

Darnold’s predictable growing pains come at a most inopportune time for Bowles and offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates when Jets fans salivate over what Rams coach Sean McVay has meant to Jared Goff, what Chiefs coach Andy Reid has meant to Patrick Mahomes, what Bears coach Matt Nagy has meant to Mitchell Trubisky, what Eagles coach Doug Pederson has meant to Carson Wentz, what Kyle Shanahan meant to Matt Ryan and Jimmy Garoppolo, what Bill O’Brien has meant to Houston’s Deshaun Watson. There is no excuse for growing pains from a fourth-year head coach.

“Just gotta play smarter, play better,” Darnold said. “I definitely feel like I forced some things, but at the same time I feel like there were some throws where I was second-guessing myself and I could have pulled the trigger.”

It’s a copycat league, and the Jets haven’t hired a head coach with an offensive background since Rich Kotite (1995-96), who was followed by Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick (one day), Al Groh, Herm Edwards, Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan and Bowles.

There would be no better time than now in the eyes of many Jets fans for Maccagnan to start compiling his short list of S.O.S. — Save Our Sam — candidates if and when Bowles, who owns the hottest seat in the NFL now that Hue Jackson is no longer coaching the Browns, is fired at the end of the season.

Vikings offensive coordinator John DeFilippo is a rising star and a name to keep an eye on. Titans offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur hasn’t worked magic in his first season with Marcus Mariota, but he was McVay’s right-hand man in 2017. Forget about Josh McDaniels, Bill Belichick would never allow it and who can trust McDaniels after his jilting of the Colts?

In a quarterback-driven league suddenly flooded with Indianapolis 500 race cars, Bowles has Darnold driving The Little Engine That Could. Or Can’t.

“I just gotta stay true to my progressions, stay true to the confidence that I normally have,” Darnold said, “and just go out there and sling it.”

There may not be a playoff mandate for Bowles, but there is one to develop Darnold, and nobody passed a law that says you are not permitted to win while doing it.

Because of all the mediocrities that litter the AFC, the second wild card (let’s give the Chargers the first entry) is a long way from being decided. But getting swept by the 5-4 Dolphins is a killer. Losing to Brock Osweiler is a killer.

“We win together and we lose together,” Bowles said.

They are better at losing together. His locker room has not fractured, but it was boiling over with frustration after the game. So the message from Bowles behind closed doors was not difficult to figure out.

“Any type of division in this organization is only gonna hinder us,” defensive end Leonard Williams said.

Bowles is searching frantically for answers. Three straight games without a takeaway? He’s the defensive guru. Fix it. The mindless penalties? Will they ever end? And now, the apple of the franchise’s eye is in the midst of a sour regression.

No one expected miracles this season. 2019 was and is Winning Time. But right now it looks ominously as if it will be another 50 years before the Jets win that elusive second Super Bowl.

“Winning takes care of a lot of problems and a lot of issues. It’s important for us to win the next ballgame,” Bowles said.

Should the Jets lose to the Josh Allen Bills or the Nathan Peterman Bills on Sunday at MetLife Stadium, he’s doomed.

“It’s huge,” Bowles said.

Mostly for him. At 3-7, with two games ahead against the Patriots, he will be Dead Coach Walking. If he isn’t already.

20 minutes ago, TheGreenGhost said:

No truer words have ever been spoken. :smilies2_puke:

So we need an offensive minded coach?  Glad to see the rest of the world has finally caught up to what we've been saying as Jets fans for years. 

16 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

So we need an offensive minded coach?  Glad to see the rest of the world has finally caught up to what we've been saying as Jets fans for years. 

The danger is thinking you need an offensive or defensive minded coach when what you really need is a head coach who can fill out a staff.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

Let me PREMISE that as bad as Dick Semen-i can be, this douche-nozzle Sleaze Scurvy for the NY Post is also pretty putrid.

What the Jets absolutely need in their next head coach

Jets coach Todd Bowles is feeling the heat.

Patience stops being a virtue when you begin losing faith that you have the right head coach to guide your young franchise quarterback into this brave new world of nuclear offensive explosions.

As much as the Jets have tried to adhere to a model of continuity and stability, there are no jobs for life (outside of Cincinnati) and no medals for trying.

Todd Bowles is respected as a good football man, and largely as a defensive mind, but the highly likely prospect of four consecutive years out of the playoffs resonates in deafening tones to that long-suffering fan base that is desperate for Sam Darnold to lead the charge up Joe Namath Hill.

There was no rain and mud and no A. J. Duhe at Hard Rock Stadium on Sunday, but in his 14 jersey, Darnold (4 INTs) resurrected unwelcome memories of a former No. 14 in the ill-fated 1982 AFC Championship game Mud Bowl at the Orange Bowl. That makes three consecutive weeks where the young pilot has encountered far too much turbulence, and alarm bells are ringing everywhere.

“I thought I played stupid football yesterday,” Darnold said on a Monday conference call. “I just gotta be better, and I know that, coaches know that, everyone knows it.”

While it is true general manager Mike Maccagnan, whose masterful maneuvering helped land Darnold, has failed to find a predator pass rusher or a go-to wide receiver, if the Giants can make two-time Super Bowl champ Tom Coughlin the fall guy for former GM Jerry Reese’s failed drafts, then the Jets can make Bowles their fall guy. Coughlin’s last three years: 7-9, 6-10, 6-10. Bowles’ last three years: 5-11, 5-11, 3-6.

Darnold’s predictable growing pains come at a most inopportune time for Bowles and offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates when Jets fans salivate over what Rams coach Sean McVay has meant to Jared Goff, what Chiefs coach Andy Reid has meant to Patrick Mahomes, what Bears coach Matt Nagy has meant to Mitchell Trubisky, what Eagles coach Doug Pederson has meant to Carson Wentz, what Kyle Shanahan meant to Matt Ryan and Jimmy Garoppolo, what Bill O’Brien has meant to Houston’s Deshaun Watson. There is no excuse for growing pains from a fourth-year head coach.

“Just gotta play smarter, play better,” Darnold said. “I definitely feel like I forced some things, but at the same time I feel like there were some throws where I was second-guessing myself and I could have pulled the trigger.”

It’s a copycat league, and the Jets haven’t hired a head coach with an offensive background since Rich Kotite (1995-96), who was followed by Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick (one day), Al Groh, Herm Edwards, Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan and Bowles.

There would be no better time than now in the eyes of many Jets fans for Maccagnan to start compiling his short list of S.O.S. — Save Our Sam — candidates if and when Bowles, who owns the hottest seat in the NFL now that Hue Jackson is no longer coaching the Browns, is fired at the end of the season.

Vikings offensive coordinator John DeFilippo is a rising star and a name to keep an eye on. Titans offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur hasn’t worked magic in his first season with Marcus Mariota, but he was McVay’s right-hand man in 2017. Forget about Josh McDaniels, Bill Belichick would never allow it and who can trust McDaniels after his jilting of the Colts?

In a quarterback-driven league suddenly flooded with Indianapolis 500 race cars, Bowles has Darnold driving The Little Engine That Could. Or Can’t.

“I just gotta stay true to my progressions, stay true to the confidence that I normally have,” Darnold said, “and just go out there and sling it.”

There may not be a playoff mandate for Bowles, but there is one to develop Darnold, and nobody passed a law that says you are not permitted to win while doing it.

Because of all the mediocrities that litter the AFC, the second wild card (let’s give the Chargers the first entry) is a long way from being decided. But getting swept by the 5-4 Dolphins is a killer. Losing to Brock Osweiler is a killer.

“We win together and we lose together,” Bowles said.

They are better at losing together. His locker room has not fractured, but it was boiling over with frustration after the game. So the message from Bowles behind closed doors was not difficult to figure out.

“Any type of division in this organization is only gonna hinder us,” defensive end Leonard Williams said.

Bowles is searching frantically for answers. Three straight games without a takeaway? He’s the defensive guru. Fix it. The mindless penalties? Will they ever end? And now, the apple of the franchise’s eye is in the midst of a sour regression.

No one expected miracles this season. 2019 was and is Winning Time. But right now it looks ominously as if it will be another 50 years before the Jets win that elusive second Super Bowl.

“Winning takes care of a lot of problems and a lot of issues. It’s important for us to win the next ballgame,” Bowles said.

Should the Jets lose to the Josh Allen Bills or the Nathan Peterman Bills on Sunday at MetLife Stadium, he’s doomed.

“It’s huge,” Bowles said.

Mostly for him. At 3-7, with two games ahead against the Patriots, he will be Dead Coach Walking. If he isn’t already.

We need an offensive HC, being that every. Other team in league already figured out O wins these days.. it is no surprise we have sucked balls past 30 years, because we have made Defense number 1,2,3, priority.  

Gotta be offense, defense literally doesn't matter anymore. I love Leo but I really don't know how to justify signing him long term if he asks for any substantial amount of money.

I do wonder if the next CBA with revolve around how lopsided the league has become, would almost be worth it to have 2 salary caps within each team so defensive players are able to make a salary and the offensive talent gets spread throughout the league.

serby is just having a flashback to when another jets qb wearing 14 slammed him into a locker.  the article may be true and imo most jets fans are also feeling the same way.  it just hurts that much more because talking heads like serby are spewing.  where's maneesh in all this?

Most of us see this problem as Woody.  He NEVER wanted a full rebuild. We passed on Mahomes, Wilson, etc because we had Fitz and or McCown. Real teams do not do that.  Why we have paid close to 40 year old QB's $10 mil.  Why?  They were taking us NO WHERE.  

Bowles is in over his head BUT until we get a GM that will rebuild, we are no where.   The Raiders will be better than us faster. THAT is a rebuild. It looks ugly but they have a LOT of picks for 2019.  Our 2nd to 4th round busts are killing us. We have NO talent except maybe 5 players.

59 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Most of us see this problem as Woody.  He NEVER wanted a full rebuild. We passed on Mahomes, Wilson, etc because we had Fitz and or McCown. Real teams do not do that.  Why we have paid toclose to 40 QB's $10 mil.  Why?  They were taking us NO WHERE.  

Bowles is in over his head BUT until we get a GM that will rebuild, we are no where.   The Raiders will be better than us faster. THAT is a rebuild. It looks ugly but they have a LOT of picks for 2019.  Our 2nd to 4th round busts are killing us. We have NO talent except maybe 5 players.

We passed on Russell Wilson because Woody forced a trade for Tim Tebow

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

This guy only got 1/2 the story from the forums, yes bring in an offensive guy but why is he recommending Mac picking the new coach. Mac is as big if not bigger problem than Bowles.

I agree but the scarier proposition is Woody and Chrissy picking the Head Coach

35 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We passed on Russell Wilson because Woody forced a trade for Tim Tebow

You know you don't have the people in place in line with how the NFL has evolved when your people pick the least important positions high in the draft, DT, tiny LB & Safety, over & over again! Calvin Pryor, Lee, Leo, Adams....meanwhile in KC, Andy Reid, an offensive wizard & QB whisperer is scheming his move to move up & take a dynamic QB literally molded for this new NFL in Mahomes! Here's the NY Jets, who haven't had a franchise QB in 50 years, and they are picking DTs & Safeties, and leaving guys like Mahomes & Watson on the board! 

Its criminal & it only has happened because we also chose the worst defensive Head Coach to lead us into this brave new world of offensive football. Had the Jets brought in a more offensive minded coach, there would have been no way they pass up all of the talent that is exploding in the NFL right now. The Bowles hire set this franchise back 5 years at LEAST!

18 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You know you don't have the people in place in line with how the NFL has evolved when your people pick the least important positions high in the draft, DT, tiny LB & Safety, over & over again! Calvin Pryor, Lee, Leo, Adams....meanwhile in KC, Andy Reid, an offensive wizard & QB whisperer is scheming his move to move up & take a dynamic QB literally molded for this new NFL in Mahomes! Here's the NY Jets, who haven't had a franchise QB in 50 years, and they are picking DTs & Safeties, and leaving guys like Mahomes & Watson on the board! 

Its criminal & it only has happened because we also chose the worst defensive Head Coach to lead us into this brave new world of offensive football. Had the Jets brought in a more offensive minded coach, there would have been no way they pass up all of the talent that is exploding in the NFL right now. The Bowles hire set this franchise back 5 years at LEAST!

Everyone is raving about the Rams this year.  Arguably their three most important players (Whitworth, Gurley, Cooks) the jets were in a position to sign or draft all 3

The Jets are not a well run organization.  The only reason I don’t want Macagnan fired is I’m terrified of what moron amateur Woody and his even dumber brother would pick to replace him

17 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Everyone is raving about the Rams this year.  Arguably their three most important players (Whitworth, Gurley, Cooks) the jets were in a position to sign or draft all 3

The Jets are not a well run organization.  The only reason I don’t want Macagnan fired is I’m terrified of what moron amateur Woody and his even dumber brother would pick to replace him

It can't get worse.. it can't.   We have NO talent.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

It can't get worse.. it can't.   We have NO talent.

We had 5 insanely bad drafts in a row from 2013-2017.  3 of those were Macagnan so I don’t want to hear from his apologists that it’s Idzik’s fault this is a bottom 3 roster

23 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We had 5 insanely bad drafts in a row from 2013-2017.  3 of those were Macagnan so I don’t want to hear from his apologists that it’s Idzik’s fault this is a bottom 3 roster

Idzik and MAC are so earily similar. Good CAP guys, VERY bad managers of a roster and draft.

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Heimerdinger as GM

"There may not be a playoff mandate for Bowles, but there is one to develop Darnold, and nobody passed a law that says you are not permitted to win while doing it."

This pretty much sums it up. Bowles has had his pick of OCs for four years -- if he didn't make the playoffs nobody would be calling for his head if the team looked competent and Darnold was playing well. Right now neither is the case which means he's going to lose his job.

On 11/6/2018 at 1:29 AM, jeremy2020 said:

The danger is thinking you need an offensive or defensive minded coach when what you really need is a head coach who can fill out a staff.

Ahhhhh  i like whatcha did there.   :-) 

you are correct sir. Let me rephrase. I would like to have  a HC who has an background in offense. 

I agree that Bowles' conservatism has hampered the Jets development. I agree that Bowles seems like a very decent man and a pretty decent play caller. But as another poster said, can he fill out a staff? the cruel answer is, NO, he cannot.

Kaycee Rodgers didn't have a health scare. He had a "I couldn't call an effective defense, even if it is costing me my job" moment. He's not good. And, please, these OCs out of the 1960s have even less balls than Mother****in Hackett!! So, no, his staffing sucks.

And does he have a positive impact during the game? no, he generally doesn't.

You want to know why there have been no turnovers recently? Because desperate offenses give away turnovers. Offenses that are ahead less likely to give it up. And you can't be desperate offense with a lead.

And, unfortunately, we all have realized that all Darnold has is the tools. He doesn't quite have to savvy to use them effectively, especially when the offensive play calling is just sooo out of touch with modern NFL concept of throwing the football AT LEAST 35 times a game.

And isn't it just plain delusional to depend on a offensive line made up of journeyman and unprovens to be able to run against 8 and 9 man fronts consistently? It boggles the mind that after two full years of not being able to run the football consistently with mostly the same cast of characters that the HC thinks that magically they will be able to, just because the Jets have a rookie QB?

The Jets are the easiest team to defend, mostly because of their maddening obsession with running the football, which they cannot do. I'm ok with a 4 iNT game by a rookie: it's four correctable moments that he wouldn't have if he handed the ball off those 4 times.

Bowles is gone.  It's clear.  The real question is what conversations are happening at the Maccagnan, Chris and Woody levels?

We all remember 2015 and the house-cleaning, when Woody was getting outside counsel and speaking to guys like Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf. I wonder if similar things are happening now.  I can imagine conversations between Chris and Macc starting to focus on a possible replacement for Bowles, but is Chris/Woody also having conversations with others who may be encouraging a house cleaning?  Personally, I think Macc has done just enough (the past two drafts) to warrant a little more time.  He hasn't been very good, but he hasn't been bad and landing Darnold gets him some time.

But, do we trust Macc to get the HC hire correct?  Will it even be up to him given the Jets reporting structure of both GM and HC up to the Owner? Macc followed a longterm methodical scouting process on Darnold, flying cross-country for two years to watch this kid.  Has he been researching HC candidates as intently of late?  I surely hope he has, particularly after two 5-11 seasons.  He, at a minimum, had to start considering the need for a replacement and hopefully he has a long and short list of candidates.

It has taken a decade to find a potential franchise QB.  Like it or not, he's the golden egg of the franchise and our goose is crapping on him instead of raising him right.  We're getting rid of that goose by year end, if not sooner.  But finding the next HC has replaced finding the Franchise QB as Job One in Florham Park.

McVay - Goff

Payton - Brees

Reid - Mahomes

Nagy - Trubisky

______ - Darnold ?

Bowles is gone.  It's clear.  The real question is what conversations are happening at the Maccagnan, Chris and Woody levels?
We all remember 2015 and the house-cleaning, when Woody was getting outside counsel and speaking to guys like Charlie Casserly and Ron Wolf. I wonder if similar things are happening now.  I can imagine conversations between Chris and Macc starting to focus on a possible replacement for Bowles, but is Chris/Woody also having conversations with others who may be encouraging a house cleaning?  Personally, I think Macc has done just enough (the past two drafts) to warrant a little more time.  He hasn't been very good, but he hasn't been bad and landing Darnold gets him some time.
But, do we trust Macc to get the HC hire correct?  Will it even be up to him given the Jets reporting structure of both GM and HC up to the Owner? Macc followed a longterm methodical scouting process on Darnold, flying cross-country for two years to watch this kid.  Has he been researching HC candidates as intently of late?  I surely hope he has, particularly after two 5-11 seasons.  He, at a minimum, had to start considering the need for a replacement and hopefully he has a long and short list of candidates.
It has taken a decade to find a potential franchise QB.  Like it or not, he's the golden egg of the franchise and our goose is crapping on him instead of raising him right.  We're getting rid of that goose by year end, if not sooner.  But finding the next HC has replaced finding the Franchise QB as Job One in Florham Park.
McVay - Goff
Payton - Brees
Reid - Mahomes
Nagy - Trubisky
______ - Darnold ?

Good post. I agree with your points and would like to believe they have everything already in order for the staff change. This is quite possibly the biggest decision in Jets history now that we have a true franchise qb in place. Darnold has the special sauce and needs to be built around. That starts with a staff that knows how to use him.
I said many times on here that I actually believe Bowles has mismanaged many of the players that macc brought in over the years in addition to his poor coaching decisions. I look for some of the younger guys to have better play when we get real coaches in here.

Remember when parcells took over and said there were big name jets who didn’t even know how to work out when he arrived? He was speaking of mo Lewis and Marvin Jones if I remember correctly. That’s what I think is going on now. Guys we have all the hope in the world for and all the talent in the world being handled improperly.

God I can’t wait till Bowles is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The only hope we have in landing a quality head coach is a coach who thinks he can turn sam into a franchise QB, other than that We will be at the end of the list for candidates. I know only 32 jobs blah blah, smart coaches wait for the right opportunity to land with a solid franchise not a disorganized disaster.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Good post. I agree with your points and would like to believe they have everything already in order for the staff change. This is quite possibly the biggest decision in Jets history now that we have a true franchise qb in place. Darnold has the special sauce and needs to be built around. That starts with a staff that knows how to use him.
I said many times on here that I actually believe Bowles has mismanaged many of the players that macc brought in over the years in addition to his poor coaching decisions. I look for some of the younger guys to have better play when we get real coaches in here.

Remember when parcells took over and said there were big name jets who didn’t even know how to work out when he arrived? He was speaking of mo Lewis and Marvin Jones if I remember correctly. That’s what I think is going on now. Guys we have all the hope in the world for and all the talent in the world being handled improperly.

God I can’t wait till Bowles is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Agreed.  It's even more important to get this right now because of the model for success in today's NFL.  The way to win is find that excellent QB and have him on a relatively low-cost rookie deal for 4-5 years and then go all-in to win a SB.  It's what the Eagles have done.  It's how Seattle built that great roster in Russell Wilson's early years.  It's the reason the Rams extended Gurley and have signed/traded for everyone under the sun this year.

The clock is already ticking.  We don't know if Darnold is the man, but we HAVE TO assume that he is.  That's why I think Maccagnan has done a good job of stockpiling $$$ for FA and found a way to retain next year's 1st round pick.  Quite honestly, if I'm the Jets then I'm trading down from somewhere like #10 to the teens and recouping a 2nd rounder.

Archived