Darnold Vs rookie QBs week 9 (Oh no this looks familiar edition)

batmans a scientist

- Tableau Data for more details

Through week 9 Sam Darnold now drops behind Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen, with a 68.3 QB Rating, ranking 22nd of 31 rookie QBs in QB rating through this point in the season (minimum of 90 passes thrown). His mid-season drop shares an uncanny drop in production to Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith’s 2nd half production

2018 NFL rookies compared:

* Baker Mayfield - 159-265 60.0%, 1,768 Yards 10 TDs 7 INTs (8 total turnovers), 6.7 YPA, 81.5 QB Rating (Ranked 12th of 31 Rookie QBs between Mike Glennon and Derek Carr)

* Josh Rosen - 94-169 55.6%, 1,072 Yards 5 TDs 6 INT (8 Total Turnovers), 6.3 YPA, 8.1 Yards per throw, 69.9 QB Rating (Ranked 22nd of 32 Rookie QBs between Geno Smith and Brandon Weeden)

* Sam Darnold - 159-289 55.0%, 1,934 Yards 11 TDs 14 INTs (15 total turnovers), 6.7 YPA, 68.3 QB Rating (Ranked 22nd of 31 Rookie QBs between Geno Smith and Brandon Weeden)

* Josh Allen - 75-139 54.0% 832 Yards 2 TDs 5 INTs (6 Total Turnovers) 6.0 YPA, 9.7 Yards per throw - 35 rushes 155 yards 3 TDs, 61.8 QB Rating (Ranked 27th of 31 Rookie QBs between Blaine Gabbert and Matthew Stafford)

* Lamar Jackson 7-12 58.3% 87 Yards, 1TD - 28 Rushes 139 Yards, 1 TD 

This comparison of all rookie QBs of the past 10 years, will continue to update all season. It's data and basic Tableau bar chart that can be sorted by season, week, quarter, and down/distance, you can also filter out QBs based on how many passes

Darnold 14 INTs through 9 games is the most by an NFL rookie since 1998 (Peyton Manning, 16). And the 2nd most since 1978.  His 15 turnovers are 2nd only to Geno Smith in that timeframe. 

The thing that frustrates me most about this season is how we all bought into the it's all about developing Sam BS. There's a big difference between developing a QB and throwing him to the wolves. We put this kid out there day 1 with nothing around him, and expect him to develop? I shook my head when the Pats picked up Gordon basically for free, and how we were "kicking tires" of other WRs, but never made a move. The Terrelle Pryor situation was a joke also. I was one of the people saying no matter what it took, get Leveon Bell in here. Sam desperately needed help, and guys were worried about Dante Fowler and Shane Ray types. Now the chickens have come home to roost, Sam is struggling big time, and there isn't one guy on the offensive side of the ball to help him. He was never given a chance to develop, he was forced to carry the load. It's been sickening to watch what they're doing to this kid.

Wait! You mean rookie QBs do worse statistically as the weather gets worse and the grind of the season wears on them?  I am shocked. 

Did anybody notice that Kearse, Enunwa, Anderson, Pryor, Crowell, Powell, McGuire have missed time with injuries?   I know, I know, those guys just suck, blah, blah, blah, but they are injured. 

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Wait! You mean rookie QBs do worse statistically as the weather gets worse and the grind of the season wears on them?  I am shocked. 

Did anybody notice that Kearse, Enunwa, Anderson, Pryor, Crowell, Powell, McGuire have missed time with injuries?   I know, I know, those guys just suck, blah, blah, blah, but they are injured. 

I get your point about them being injured, but just take another look at those names you mentioned. How many weren't even drafted? It's a shame those were the guys this organization wanted out there at skill positions in the year they were starting a prized rookie QB. I'm not even going to mention the C and the rest of the OL. What a joke this organization is!

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

The thing that frustrates me most about this season is how we all bought into the it's all about developing Sam BS. There's a big difference between developing a QB and throwing him to the wolves. We put this kid out there day 1 with nothing around him, and expect him to develop? I shook my head when the Pats picked up Gordon basically for free, and how we were "kicking tires" of other WRs, but never made a move. The Terrelle Pryor situation was a joke also. I was one of the people saying no matter what it took, get Leveon Bell in here. Sam desperately needed help, and guys were worried about Dante Fowler and Shane Ray types. Now the chickens have come home to roost, Sam is struggling big time, and there isn't one guy on the offensive side of the ball to help him. He was never given a chance to develop, he was forced to carry the load. It's been sickening to watch what they're doing to this kid.

You can surround him with all the talent you want. He doesn’t know how to play quarterback. If we had a super bowl roster he’d be dragging it down and not necessarily getting any better in the process. We have done this before, you know. And the same people were doing the same bitching about how everything was everybody else’s fault. What they’re doing to this kid. What they’re DOING to this KID. They’re telling a millionaire to throw the ball to the guy and he’s not throwing the ball to the guy. The problem has been identified. There’s a difference between not reading too much into it and going full blown truther about it. Rookie quarterbacks are bad. All rookies are bad. LeBron and Durant were bad. When they’re not it’s as much a fluke as anything.

The only thing he is developing is bad habbits

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

You are making a good argument to fire Mac. He set Darnold up to fail.

No play makers at all, no blocking, poor play designs and worst of all a center that cannot snap the ball at all.  I am not worried about Darnold at all.  I'm far more worried that we are going to retain bowles and let mccagnan to make more assinine draft picks.

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

You can surround him with all the talent you want. He doesn’t know how to play quarterback. If we had a super bowl roster he’d be dragging it down and not necessarily getting any better in the process. We have done this before, you know. And the same people were doing the same bitching about how everything was everybody else’s fault. What they’re doing to this kid. What they’re DOING to this KID. They’re telling a millionaire to throw the ball to the guy and he’s not throwing the ball to the guy. The problem has been identified. There’s a difference between not reading too much into it and going full blown truther about it. Rookie quarterbacks are bad. All rookies are bad. LeBron and Durant were bad. When they’re not it’s as much a fluke as anything.

Oline stinks, WR's suck, coach staff inept

young-boy-covering-his-ears-studio-shot-

2 hours ago, TheGreenGhost said:

4 years to build up the OL and offensive skill positions knowing you were at some point going to try to draft a franchise QB, so the obvious oh so logical plan was of course get as many halfass LBs, CBs and Safetys as possible. :chas:

To be fair if you don't build up the offense beforehand it makes it easier to lose games to get said QB. Once you get the QB then use all available assets to build a team around him. Ideally the OL should have been taken care of at the same time and that is an big issue I have with Mac. I think we'll be able to get playmakers this offseason:

Le'Veon Bell - Sign him for whatever it takes, trade away Crowell and roll with McGuire and Bell

Dante Fowler - Considering we tried to trade for him and the Rams can't afford to keep him this also seems like a logical move

Julio Jones - Yup been preaching this for a while now, Falcons will have $24M in cap space in 2019 and will only have 37 players under contract. Julio wanted to hold out this past year, perhaps there is a move where Atlanta moves him out of conference and we swap 1st round picks? Now his contract is very reasonable so Atlanta could play hard ball and force him to play but they may try to move him with the emergence of Ridley. Depending on where each team finishes maybe it's for a 1st straight up and then we go OL with both 3rd rounders.

It's a pipe dream but hey got nothing else to root for haha

Archived