Any nerds up in here (Books)

Paradis

Curious if anyone else here still reads.... which is kind of misleading I’m on 40/60 book/audiobook at this point in my life.... with how much time I spend in transit and general upkeep around the house, audiobooks is the holy grail.

Lately I’ve stuck reading the more intellectual/social commentary stuff, and audio the fiction side.

I’m on book 7 of the Fall Of the Malazan series (fantasy/history).... insanely good. Take the stuff that made GOTs good and put into a greek mythology angle or sorts. Wild. Author is prof in anthropology and philosophy or something similar. So the sh*t is deeeeep. Highly recommend

In the last year I’ve chewed my way through all 4 Hyperion books, 6 Malazan, 3 dark tower, 5 death lands - all on audio book.

Great stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

Lately I’ve stuck reading the more intellectual/social commentary stuff, and audio the fiction side.

A few recent reads along this line. Would recommend all of them with the Phillips book being a personal favorite:

The Order of Time - Carlo Rovelli

Behave: Robert Sapolski

Blood in the Water: Heather Thompson

Tribe: Sebastian Junger

The Rise and Fall of Dinosaurs: Steve Brusatte

Fear City: Kim Phillips

Blood at the Root: Patrick Phillips

Why We Get Fat: Gary Taubes

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I read too much, mostly crap, but fun crap.

Recent stuff in no particular order..

The Last Kingsom series by Bernard Cornwell 

The Praxis series.

The Expanse Series. (Very good but stole a lot from The Praxis)

Old Mans War series

Game of Thrones 

The Blade Itself and Shattered Seas series (poor man's GOT)

I like series. I read quickly. 

• Upvote 1

Speaking of books, anyone else addicted to DeMille? 

Also, an advice request here, I would like to start on James Patterson, him being a Jasper and all, but there are so many titles that I just kinda walk away. Can anyone recommend a starter Patterson ?

Also also, does anyone read Al Sarrantonio? Just curious if that rings anyone's chimes here

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I read too much, mostly crap, but fun crap.

Recent stuff in no particular order..

The Last Kingsom series by Bernard Cornwell 

The Praxis series.

The Expanse Series. (Very good but stole a lot from The Praxis)

Old Mans War series

Game of Thrones 

The Blade Itself and Shattered Seas series (poor man's GOT)

I like series. I read quickly. 

if you're into that kind of thing, I recommend you give the Fall of the Malazan series a shot. Be interested to hear your thoughts. Game of thrones meets Greek mythology... you got stick out the first book - it's his first effort as an author (he's a uni prof) but by book 2-3 the series on fire. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Also, an advice request here, I would like to start on James Patterson, him being a Jasper and all, but there are so many titles that I just kinda walk away. Can anyone recommend a starter Patterson ?

Also also, does anyone read Al Sarrantonio? Just curious if that rings anyone's chimes here

I used to love DeMille....Cathedral and Rivers of Babylon  where great, as was the Corey books.....but I think his last few were just mail ins. 

5 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I used to love DeMille....NFL 

I never knew this but once you reach a certain level as a writer, you hire a big staff and they actually do the nitty gritty writing, You do an outline of the story and then just edit. Makes being a successful novelist the fourth easiest for the $ job in the world after Bobby Bonilla, the US VP and NFL backup QB's   

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

My daughter bought me Matt Ruff's Fool On The Hill for my birthday because of the Beatles-related title and the fact that he was supposed to be similar to Tom Robbins (who I love), and I'm wondering where this dude has been all my life! Try Lovecraft Country, it's some serious social commentary with haunted houses, warlocks, and time travel. It's being made into an HBO series right now. 

I like smart, character-driven fiction, so guys like Michael Chabon and Jonathan Franzen are way up there for me. 

Vonnegut fan here

I've read the hobbit and LOTR several times as well

but

Vonnegut is like having a genius in my head that knows me and wants to teach me something

the first time I read the sirens of Titan I thought it was about religion

the second time I read it I thought it was about friendship

the third time love

the next time only everything

Bluebeard is less well known but it's about soul. Not spiritual so to speak but what really matters in a human life. One of the best endings to a novel I've ever read

I read Bluebeard and sirens about once a year

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Vonnegut fan here

I've read the hobbit and LOTR several times as well

but

Vonnegut is like having a genius in my head that knows me and wants to teach me something

the first time I read the sirens of Titan I thought it was about religion

the second time I read it I thought it was about friendship

the third time love

the next time only everything

Bluebeard is less well known but it's about soul. Not spiritual so to speak but what really matters in a human life. One of the best endings to a novel I've ever read

I read Bluebeard and sirens about once a year

My entry level job about 1,000 years ago involved 3 1/2 years of travelling. On a plane every Monday or Tuesday, plane back home every Thursday or Friday. Kurt got me through a lot of those flights as did Carlos Castaneda, Asimov, Heinlein and Bradbury. Thank goodness for paperbacks or I would have become an alcoholic (although we got paid next to nothing, they allowed us to fly first class and booze was free)

Today I visited my local library and discovered that one can download books on your kindle for free. I feel like a kid in a candy shop (you get to a certain age and "free" becomes most appealing). Unfortunately the wife borrowed my kindle to read A Walk In the Woods so now I have to stare at her until she reads the last few chapters, although the smart move is to not stare too hard.

I had to reserve the new Grisham, which my Dad is reading and reports that it is a step up from his usual fare and not some formula based lawyer bashing quickie so I have to wait for the library to free up a kindle copy. I also looked for several books that I had to recommend as they did not "own" them. I would appreciate an opinion from anyone who has read one of these titles:

1. Dragon's Egg (by Robert Forward)
  2. I'm Keith Hernandez (the book about his early minor league career that he plugged all summer)
  3. The Little League that Could (about the AFL)
  4. Power, Passion and Beauty (by Walter Kolosky)
  5. Bill Bruford's autobiography
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/7/2018 at 9:53 PM, The Crimson King said:

On 11/8/2018 at 9:35 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I used to love DeMille....Cathedral and Rivers of Babylon  where great, as was the Corey books.....but I think his last few were just mail ins. 

Read all of DeMille, Cathedral at least 3 times, Charm School twice but his last 5 or 6 have been awful. 

The Gate House was horrendous and after Nightfall I think the Corey books were mail ins. Nightfall, however, was really good and about half way through where I saw where he was going with it, I basically said WOW on every page.  

Just started reading Norman Mailer’s The Naked and the Dead. Pretty good so far. Writing was so much different back then. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Read all of DeMille, Cathedral at least 3 times, Charm School twice but his last 5 or 6 have been awful. 

The Gate House was horrendous and after Nightfall I think the Corey books were mail ins. Nightfall, however, was really good and about half way through where I saw where he was going with it, I basically said WOW on every page.  

Just started reading Norman Mailer’s The Naked and the Dead. Pretty good so far. Writing was so much different back then. 

I read The Naked and the Dead and Battle Cry (Uris) when I joined the Army. 

I use Kindle and I am now reading about a book every month in Spanish.  Im fairly advanced in Spanish BUT it is still a slower process to read in Spanish.

I am now reading Michael Connelly, book 1 "Black Echo", the "Bosch" series in Spanish.  I will read the next 3 or 4.

I have found various authors who write directly in Spanish and have read many of their books.

But yes, KINDLE is friggin awesome.  When I dont know a word etc...  I just touch it and a translation pops up.

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I use Kindle and I am now reading about a book every month in Spanish.  Im fairly advanced in Spanish BUT it is still a slower process to read in Spanish.

I am now reading Michael Connelly, book 1 "Black Echo", the "Bosch" series in Spanish.  I will read the next 3 or 4.

I have found various authors who write directly in Spanish and have read many of their books.

But yes, KINDLE is friggin awesome.  When I dont know a word etc...  I just touch it and a translation pops up.

I need a book. A paper book with a bookmark and dog earred pages and knocking the sand from the beach out of the binding. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I get it but Kindle is great for older guys like me as the light from behind helps ti read.

I'm old too but my reading vision is perfect (my distance vision is for sh*t) so I don't really need the lighting.

Two of my kids live by the Kindle. 

How about Lee Child's Jack Reacher?

KInda the same book over and over again but we got addicted and read all 25 or so in order in less than 2 months. Now we're sad because there are no more and the next one isn't out until October. Don't mess with Jack. 

If you are looking for a quick chuckle, Dave Barry writes some amusing stuff. 

Mrs. Crimson decided to start on James Patterson in order but there are a LOT of books. I figure that they were all good due to the superb undergraduate education he received  but she says that the first couple are a bit slow

• Upvote 1

On 11/7/2018 at 9:53 PM, The Crimson King said:

Big DeMille fan here. I was getting bored with Grisham after his first few books, then a friend recommended Plum Island and I was hooked on deMille

I like Patterson however I’m not familiar with  Sarrantonio.... 

Have you checked out Dan Brown? Very dark... (DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons, to name two you might have read...)

19 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Big DeMille fan here. I was getting bored with Grisham after his first few books, then a friend recommended Plum Island and I was hooked on deMille

Have you checked out Dan Brown? Very dark... (DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons, to name two you might have read...)

Always thought they could have made Cathedral into a movie. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I really liked the Dan Brown books but missed Origin. Been meaning to download that one.  

20 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

19 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Always thought they could have made Cathedral into a movie. 

19 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

I really liked the Dan Brown books but missed Origin. Been meaning to download that one.  

Any one read Brad Thor?  He is awesome.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

No, I’ll have to check him out.

any suggestion about which one of his books I should read first?

33 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

usually best to read these in order although there are 19 or so of these and it would take a few months to go through them all 

This might help:

http://www.howtoread.me/brad-thor-books-in-order/

I did not read them in order, but I would suggest the Lions of Lucerne as they are making a movie of that book.  Brad Thor is awesome. 

• Upvote 3

I used to read every night to fall asleep till I hit my late 30s. Then I slowed down when my eyesight got fuzzy.

I'm still inching my way through my huge Clive Cussler collection. Great writer and a nautical history buff too.

Michael Creighton is still the king tho.  Prey was an insane read, as was The Eaters of the Dead. (Later called the 13th Warrior or something)

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I supposed it's cliche wannabe smart to recommend anything by Jared Diamond at this point, but I enjoyed his new one quite a bit. The chapter on Finland's war with Russia I found fascinating.

No sh*t. Especially with Guns, Germs, and Steel readily available during the ******* tulip mania for copies of the stuff that got namechecked in Good Will Hunting as the season's must-have dorm room decorative element.

• 3 months later...

I decided to give Doctor Sleep a whirl because I'm a huge Shining fan and I don't have much of a desire to see the movie because I know it won't be shot like Kubrick, (though 2010 was a solid sequel). I generally never read King but it's a nice expansion on the world thus far.

In terms of non-fiction Eric Foner's The Second Founding is quite good, though everything from him is always good.