Any nerds up in here (Books)

Paradis

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished Dictators which was a really good read.  Not a lot in there about the likes of Hitler, Mao, Stalin that I didn't already know, but some interesting info on Romanian and African dictators that I knew little about.

About half way through Defending my Enemy which is about a Jewish lawyer whose family narrowly escaped the holocaust defending Neo-Nazis who wanted to march in Skokie, Illinois.  Shows the lengths some will go to in defense of free speech if they understand its importance.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 10:11 PM, The Crimson King said:

Anyone reading David Baldacci?

Read through the very entertaining Amos Decker series (new one in Oct '20) and the first of the Archer series.

Not an All-Pro writer but maybe a pro bowl alternate.

Meanwhile, 90 yr old dad is reading Will Durant ... again. Dry stuff, Fan fact, Durant got his undergrad from St. Peter's (NJ) so at least he was a MAAC man. 

I’ve read all his Camel Club stuff And a few others.  Not sure where, but someone mentioned King and Maxwell, think it was the TV thread.  Checked on Amazon and all 6 books are available in Spanish on Kindle. I’m on book one. fraction of a second. Una fracción  de Segunda, In spanish.  he may be the best action writer for me and I LOVE Grisham and Brad Thor. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Not a book I've finished but reading now and in the middle of chapter 10.  Loving it so much I wanted to mention it here.

It's a book called "The Forsaken" which documents what happened to thousands of Americans who left the US in the 30's and headed to Russia to escape the depression.  

Some planned on leaving for good and some were only planning on staying for a year or two but most ended up being murdered under Stalin's great purge.

Horrible to hear the stories of the NKVD showing up to random apartments in the middle of the night to arrest and murder or send to the Gulags any person whose name was put on a list for any reason at all.  Didn't have to be true, trials lasted 20 minutes and executions carried out that day.

Many Americans turned to the embassy to escape back to the US but were told that since their passports were taken upon arrival and Russia claimed them as citizens, there was nothing they could do to help them.  Wild.

Few years back during my third year of residency I got close to burnout stage and made it a goal to find a few hours a month to relax and started to read the American Mystery Writers 100 greatest mystery novels of all time. Every single book that I've read so far is a must-read. 

- Hound of the Baskervilles (Sir Arthur Conan Doyal)

- And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie)

- Spy Who Came in From the Cold (John le Carre)

- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (John le Carre) -->also a phenomenal movie, one of Gary Oldman's best performances.

- Up next: Smiley's People and The Godfather. 

- Not on the list but a great read, especially if you like turn of the century New York, as well as mystery novels: The Alienist by Caleb Carr.

On 7/27/2021 at 8:44 PM, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Few years back during my third year of residency I got close to burnout stage and made it a goal to find a few hours a month to relax and started to read the American Mystery Writers 100 greatest mystery novels of all time. Every single book that I've read so far is a must-read. 

- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (John le Carre) -->also a phenomenal movie, one of Gary Oldman's best performances.

- Not on the list but a great read, especially if you like turn of the century New York, as well as mystery novels: The Alienist by Caleb Carr.

has anyone read let the great world spin?  about 1970s nyc (and twin tower tightrope)  

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 3:37 AM, AFJF said:

Not a book I've finished but reading now and in the middle of chapter 10.  Loving it so much I wanted to mention it here.

It's a book called "The Forsaken" which documents what happened to thousands of Americans who left the US in the 30's and headed to Russia to escape the depression.  

Some planned on leaving for good and some were only planning on staying for a year or two but most ended up being murdered under Stalin's great purge.

Horrible to hear the stories of the NKVD showing up to random apartments in the middle of the night to arrest and murder or send to the Gulags any person whose name was put on a list for any reason at all.  Didn't have to be true, trials lasted 20 minutes and executions carried out that day.

Many Americans turned to the embassy to escape back to the US but were told that since their passports were taken upon arrival and Russia claimed them as citizens, there was nothing they could do to help them.  Wild.

Finished this one a couple weeks ago.  Can't recommend it strongly enough for history buffs.  An instant favorite.

• Sympathy 1

On 7/23/2021 at 5:12 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm into Chuck Wendig's new book The Book of Accidents. Wanderers was incredible and this is a proper follow-up. Even weirder.

I read Wendigs Star Wars book "Aftermath" because I was still a SW nerd at the time. It was so bad, I was embarrassed for the writer. It was poorly written, embarrassing garbage - for a STAR WARS BOOK. 

Sorry, I wouldn’t read a classified ad written by that guy

The Alienist was very overrated imo. And the lead characters are all Mary Sue's while everyone around them were clueless oafs. Boring.

The Vespasian Chronicles by Robert Fabbri was really good, interesting reading. 9 books about the Emperor Vespasian (Flavius) from birth to death, but written in similar style to Bernard Cornwell (The Last Kingdom, Sharpes Rifles, Warlord Saga, etc). Historical action/drama based on real events and people.

Good reading. I prefer series of books because I read fast and a lot. ? 

18 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I read Wendigs Star Wars book "Aftermath" because I was still a SW nerd at the time. It was so bad, I was embarrassed for the writer. It was poorly written, embarrassing garbage - for a STAR WARS BOOK. 

Sorry, I wouldn’t read a classified ad written by that guy

I accept your apology.

• Haha 1

In between contracts for work, so I have the next 2.5 weeks off. Was planning on getting a few fiction books to read to help do something a little more mentally productive than some TV/movie bingeing. 

Anyone ever read Fear and loathing in Las vegas? Been on my list for awhile and may start with that one. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 3:26 PM, AFJF said:

Anyone ever read Carl Jung's Red Book?

Thinking about picking it up but I'm sure it'll be mostly over my head and has a hefty price tag of around $200.  

But very tempted based on reviews I've read.

Yes. Do not buy the reader's edition, the images are really what make the text worth the journey. The Red Book is not just a book and should not be treated like one. Worth the coin IMO. 

Also just to add, your public library will sometimes have a copy of the full edition for in-house reading if you don't want to buy it.

15 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Yes. Do not buy the reader's edition, the images are really what make the text worth the journey. The Red Book is not just a book and should not be treated like one. Worth the coin IMO. 

Also just to add, your public library will sometimes have a copy of the full edition for in-house reading if you don't want to buy it.

From what I've see online the writing style and images are what make it so unique and worth picking up.  I've not read a ton of Jung (Modern Man in Search of a Soul and Man and His Symbols) but what I have read is pretty dense and I've been told this may be his most complex work.

Thanks!

"Tinker.." is a great movie.

Read the first "The Alienist", was pretty good. The cable series is pretty good as well, think it went 2 season. 

Been waffling on buying a kindle forever and this thread has got me wanting to buy one again. For those who have is the paper white edition better that the regular one?

Also I love history and mystery and Graham Hancock’s Fingerprints of the Gods was fascinating to me.  

When Genius Failed is also a great book if you want to read about the rise and incredible fall of one of the most famous hedge funds in the 90s. 

Had a nigh shift last night and was able to finally get to reading Marty Lyons' book If These Walls Could Talk.  Some interesting stuff in there but most surprising was how badly Marty wanted to coach and asked 3 different regimes (Coslet, Carroll and Kotite) and all 3 told him no.  He figured 3 strikes and he was out so he stopped trying.

Also some great details on his foundation, of course.

Highly recommended for this group.  Good book and a  nice light read.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

Also just finished an audio book on Genghis Khan.  Dude was a beast.  I knew he was a big deal but had no idea just how big an impact his legacy had on the world.

Genghis Khan - Wikipedia

What percent of the world is related to Khan?

0.5 percent

That translates to 0.5 percent of the male population in the world, or roughly 16 million descendants living today

To all the guys they think they have game, do you 16 million descendants type of game?

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

Genghis Khan - Wikipedia

What percent of the world is related to Khan?

0.5 percent

That translates to 0.5 percent of the male population in the world, or roughly 16 million descendants living today

To all the guys they think they have game, do you 16 million descendants type of game?

Yeah, read  that a couple years ago and people think I'm lying when I tell them.

• Upvote 1