What happens if McKown pulls a Fitzmagic

More Cowbell

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Brian Costello of the Post: "Todd Bowles says Sam Darnold will be the starter once he is healthy no matter how Josh McCown plays"

I'm sure McCown knows that as well.

Darnold has had a tough few weeks, taking a week off to a breather is not the worst thing in the world, even if he isn't hurt that bad.   Give him 2 weeks off to rest, and come back strong.

4 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Unless I’m reading this wrong?

If he’s not healthy enough to start, why the hell would he not rule him out as a back up? Either he’s healthy or he’s not. 

This is insanity.  Bowles is a total moron.

4 hours ago, genot said:

The jets should have done the same thing the chiefs did with Mahomes. Sit and watch a veteran play. ask alot of questions,and learn. Both QB's had similar question marks coming out of college. Gunslinger"s who turn the ball over too much. Sloppy footwork. Darnold didn't do anything special in the preseason to justify him getting the starting job

How did he do in Week 1?

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

If he’s not healthy enough to start, why the hell would he not rule him out as a back up? Either he’s healthy or he’s not. 

That’s a dangerous game.  I’m sure they don’t want to have to make a roster move and cut someone so Webb can be the back up for one week.  It could be a situation where they roll the dice and have Darnold there to literally just hand the ball off if he needs to go in.  

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s a dangerous game.  I’m sure they don’t want to have to make a roster move and cut someone so Webb can be the back up for one week.  It could be a situation where they roll the dice and have Darnold there to literally just hand the ball off if he needs to go in.  

Nope. Make a roster move. Don’t put your injured qb out on the field. Just dumb coaching. 

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

He has an extenstion and he's afraid for his job.

Ohh, you are assuming Johnsons make all the right decisions, and/don’t regret them later ? Everyone thinks Bowles is on the hot seat, except you lol.. finishing bellow 6 wins for 4 straight years warrants job security ,??

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Bowles already said that Darnold is the starter when healthy. If Bowles came out and said, "we will see how Mccown plays and take it from there" then I could see your angst, but Bowles made it clear today that Darnold is going to start when he is healthy.

Let's also remember that everyone bashed Bowlesfor not starting Hack at the end of last year. Turned out there was a reason and it wasn't Bowles stubbornness it was the team already knowing Hack sucked. You give kids PT when they earn it, not just to appease the fan base. So this notion that Bowles will stick with Bowles all season based on crap from last year is just ridiculous. 

Gee I never heard a HC say one thing and then do another ? I thought baker mayfield was suppose to sit the whole year also ?

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I saw on twitter than Bowles said the job is Darnold's when he's healthy regardless of how McCown plays. Am I missing something?

If McCown does pull a Fitzmagic Bowles almost has to run with the hot hand? Until he implodes like Fitztragic did. Maybe -maybe not but injuries can be extended -oh he reinjured it in practice. So again Bowles sais the politically correct thing to say - while he’s whispering in McCowns ear “keep winning and u stay in”. Anything is possible. 

10 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ohh, you are assuming Johnsons make all the right decisions, and/don’t regret them later ? Everyone thinks Bowles is on the hot seat, except you lol.. finishing bellow 6 wins for 4 straight years warrants job security ,??

No. I just found it funny that you said a man who just got an extension is afraid of his job

8 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

If McCown does pull a Fitzmagic Bowles almost has to run with the hot hand? Until he implodes like Fitztragic did. Maybe -maybe not but injuries can be extended -oh he reinjured it in practice. So again Bowles sais the politically correct thing to say - while he’s whispering in McCowns ear “keep winning and u stay in”. Anything is possible. 

This is New York. HE aint getting away with that

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Brian Costello of the Post: "Todd Bowles says Sam Darnold will be the starter once he is healthy no matter how Josh McCown plays"

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I believe people are honest and good natured despite what the world tells you.

There are only two logical explanations for this:

• Chris told Mac and Bowles to shelve Darnold to preserve the Franchise Asset.  That is the best case.  Of course Bowles is going to try and win to save his job.  That is bad.  But there is no other choice.
  • Bowles is switching to McCown, who is not under contract next year and is not the future, to try and win some games to save his job.  That will of course lower the Jets in draft order for some useless victories.  That would be bad logic.

But in the end, keeping Darnold off the field is a positive.  

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

Because Darnold was benched the politically correct way.  Just like the defensive play calling Bowles can't admit that he took it away. They basically did this behind the scenes so Sam doesn't get nailed hy the media. 

48 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Gee I never heard a HC say one thing and then do another ? I thought baker mayfield was suppose to sit the whole year also ?

Maybe because Bowles isn't the only one in charge of this team and even if he was dumb enough to want to stick with Mccown, Macc would step in. But if you prefer to drive yourself crazy worrying about things the coach has already shot down, then go ahead. 

38 minutes ago, varjet said:

There are only two logical explanations for this:

• Chris told Mac and Bowles to shelve Darnold to preserve the Franchise Asset.  That is the best case.  Of course Bowles is going to try and win to save his job.  That is bad.  But there is no other choice.
  • Bowles is switching to McCown, who is not under contract next year and is not the future, to try and win some games to save his job.  That will of course lower the Jets in draft order for some useless victories.  That would be bad logic.

But in the end, keeping Darnold off the field is a positive.  

Lol how about... Darnold is hurt and can’t play?

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Bowles already said that Darnold is the starter when healthy. If Bowles came out and said, "we will see how Mccown plays and take it from there" then I could see your angst, but Bowles made it clear today that Darnold is going to start when he is healthy.

Let's also remember that everyone bashed Bowlesfor not starting Hack at the end of last year. Turned out there was a reason and it wasn't Bowles stubbornness it was the team already knowing Hack sucked. You give kids PT when they earn it, not just to appease the fan base. So this notion that Bowles will stick with Bowles all season based on crap from last year is just ridiculous. 

So he'll just keep saying Darnold's foot injury is nagging and they won't risk taking a chance on him - Bowles always leaves himself an out. 

McCown was like the 12th best qb in the league last year, despite playing without Enunwa and an imo worse OL.  Of course he was in a very favorable system that he was familiar with and it's far from clear if he is adept or suited to our current OC's system.

Either way, this is his last year in the league and it doesn't really make sense to bench a healthy Darnold, unless we really see him regressing.

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No. I just found it funny that you said a man who just got an extension is afraid of his job

I find it even funnier you don’t know how common it is for a HC/gm to get a bare min extention and then be fired ? nobody leaves a lame duck coach going into final yr, you should know this 

Archived