OC Bates taking full responsibility in live presser

jetstream23

Watching his press conference right now.  Bates' taking all the responsibility for the offense being stuck in the mud.  Some quotes...

"We're not talking about injuries (regarding Josh starting).  That's up to Coach Bowles."

"We need to score more points and that's on me."

"I need to do a better job of putting our players in a position to be successful and that's my responsibility."

"I need to give them better plays."

"It starts with me."

"It's my job to score points."  Then a REPORTER asks... "Isn't it the Quarterback's responsibility to score TDs, not the OC?"  BATES: "I've got to put the players in position to be successful."

"We need to be more aggressive and take shots down the field and that starts with me."

Pretty generic answers to very detailed questions like... REPORTER: "You guys are I think 2nd in 3-and-outs.  How do you do a better job extending drives?"   BATES: "We need to do a better job on 1st and 2nd down and we need to covert on 3rd downs."

Other than that he's just taking it.  Regardless of a rookie QB, an average (at best!!) offensive line and zero playmakers, this guy is trying to make a gourmet meal out of McDonald's leftovers on offense.  He's had some bad play calls but it's a tall order to make this ship of fools run like a yacht.

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Watching his press conference right now.  Bates' taking all the responsibility for the offense being stuck in the mud.  Some quotes...

"We're not talking about injuries (regarding Josh starting).  That's up to Coach Bowles."

"We need to score more points and that's on me."

"I need to do a better job of putting our players in a position to be successful and that's my responsibility."

"I need to give them better plays."

"It starts with me."

"It's my job to score points."  Then a REPORTER asks... "Isn't it the Quarterback's responsibility to score TDs, not the OC?"  BATES: "I've got to put the players in position to be successful."

"We need to be more aggressive and take shots down the field and that starts with me."

Pretty generic answers to very detailed questions like... REPORTER: "You guys are I think 2nd in 3-and-outs.  How do you do a better job extending drives?"   BATES: "We need to do a better job on 1st and 2nd down and we need to covert on 3rd downs."

Other than that he's just taking it.  Regardless of a rookie QB, an average (at best!!) offensive line and zero playmakers, this guy is trying to make a gourmet meal out of McDonald's leftovers on offense.  He's had some bad play calls but it's a tall order to make this ship of fools run like a yacht.

Morton was able to do more with even less just last year. I’m tired of excuses. 

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

REPORTER: "You guys are I think 2nd in 3-and-outs.  How do you do a better job extending drives?"   BATES: "We need to do a better job on 1st and 2nd down and we need to covert on 3rd downs."

Right. And running on 1st down 98% of the time sets up a tough 2 down which 80% of the time sets up a tough 3rd down.

we are way too predictable on early downs. You are basically giving the opposing team a free down every drive.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Right. And running on 1st down 98% of the time sets up a tough 2 down which 80% of the time sets up a tough 3rd down.

we are way too predictable on early downs. You are basically giving the opposing team a free down every drive.

And then what Bates really wants to say is:

"Bowles is F**ng hamstringing me and the playcalling. He doesn't want us throwing the ball until 3rd and 7+. I can't work with this guy limiting me to calling only 8 plays a game.... For F**Cks sake, I don't know why I agree'd to take this job with a HC the has no clue that in todays game you have to throw, the rules favor you throwing, this archaic 1970's offense if Bull Sh!t, but that s what he wants. He's my boss I have to do what he says."

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Based on what I just read in the first post, I did not hear him make one excuse. (?)

I’m talking about excuses in general. Everything you hear in press conferences is coach speak and doesn’t mean anything. I’m sure there is plenty of excuse making behind the scenes which prolongs Mac and Bowles being here. 

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m talking about excuses in general. Everything you hear in press conferences is coach speak and doesn’t mean anything. I’m sure there is plenty of excuse making behind the scenes which prolongs Mac and Bowles being here. 

You just kind of danced around what you made a direct response to what he said. Which contained no excuses.

Now, taking blame without fixing it will not be acceptable. But, I would be hard pressed to characterize what he said as making excuses.

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You just kind of danced around what you made a direct response to what he said. Which contained no excuses.

Now, taking blame without fixing it will not be acceptable. But, I would be hard pressed to characterize what he said as making excuses.

I’m not dancing around it. I’m tired of hearing the same crap from coaches and players without fixing anything.

Maybe “excuses” was the wrong word. I’m tired of hearing that “we have to do better blah blah blah” from everyone.

I know they can’t just lash out and speak the truth but I wish more people would speak up like Robbie and Jamal. 

BTW, taking blame and not fixing things is the theme of the last 4 years so maybe that what I meant and used “excuses” in error because I am pretty damn sure they are making excuses behind the scenes. This is not an accountable organization from top to bottom. 

37 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Just in time for Bates to try and save his job by opening up the offense for McCown.  Any semblance of a good game from McCown will create a QB controversy, plain and simple.  

I hope the Jets run the ball 60 times on Sunday.

No it won't.

We don’t really know if Bates is being handcuffed by Bowles. I understand the philosophy of getting the run game going to open up the passing game. However, aside from Crowells 200 Yd + game the ground game has sucked. It’s sucked since Curtis Martin. You could also open up the ground game by taking some shots downfield. You may even connect on a couple in the meantime. I’ve been saying this all season. If I can see it why doesn’t a professional NFL OC see it. He’s just now saying this. Good grief!!!

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m not dancing around it. I’m tired of hearing the same crap from coaches and players without fixing anything.

Maybe “excuses” was the wrong word. I’m tired of hearing that “we have to do better blah blah blah” from everyone.

I know they can’t just lash out and speak the truth but I wish more people would speak up like Robbie and Jamal. 

BTW, taking blame and not fixing things is the theme of the last 4 years so maybe that what I meant and used “excuses” in error because I am pretty damn sure they are making excuses behind the scenes. This is not an accountable organization from top to bottom. 

All I am saying, he was accountable here. I do not know, nor does any of us, if excuses are made behind the scene. 

It is good to see the accountability. As you say, it is nothing without subsequent results.

But no excuses were there.

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

Just in time for Bates to try and save his job by opening up the offense for McCown.  Any semblance of a good game from McCown will create a QB controversy, plain and simple.  

I hope the Jets run the ball 60 times on Sunday.

God forbid we see a qb play well.

22 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

All I am saying, he was accountable here. I do not know, nor does any of us, if excuse are made behind the scene. 

It is good to see the accountability. As you say, it is nothing without subsequent results.

But no excuses were there.

Agreed. Excuses is the wrong word for this specific instance but again, I was venting overall and it is what I suspect happens behind the scenes and “passing the buck” or saying “we’ll get to it” seems to be the attitude. Blow it all the f*ck up!

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

the coaches would be making excuses if they called out the players.  bates didn't.  he may not have said much but what else can he say?  he knows he needs to protect the players and not hang them out.  same thing with bowles and mac.  and it could just be that bowles had given bates a box to play in and that box includes running on first down running on second and a pass not to go beyond the first down marker on third down.

Archived