Long Term Damage To Fan Base

foxgt90

Apologies if this isn't the right place to bring up this topic and hopefully this comes across not too doom and gloom...

Lifelong Jets fan here who has raised my 2 sons ages 21 and 14 to be Jets fans. We've only missed one home game since becoming season ticket holders/PSL owners a few years ago because of a vacation to Florida. UNTIL TODAY. 

Not everyone lives close by to MetLife. Coming from CT is a huge investment in time on top of the money we spend. 90 minute ride in so we can get there around 9:30 to tailgate for a few hours and then a 2-3 hour ride home because of the crap show that is NY/NJ/CT traffic. 

Last night both of my boys said they didn't really want to go to today's game. Why?.. Because of the weather?? No. Because of the traffic?? No. Because they had other plans?? No. They didn't want to go because they both said they have no confidence in this team and they'd rather stay home and watch on TV so that when the Jets are losing to the Bill's they can just turn it off. THINK ABOUT THAT. Woody, Mac and Bowles have done such a piss poor job with this team over the past few years that my boys, like many other Jets fans, don't even have confidence in thinking the Jets can hang with the Bills!!! And honestly, they might be right!! 

With Darnold out today, who else on this team is worth making the trip to go see? I practically had to give my tix away on the exchange because demand is so low for this team. 

The bottom line is this. Jets mgmt better turn this ship around and do it fast. Literally no one is growing up to become Jets fans unless they've been indoctrinated and borderline abused into it like my sons. Yes, winning brings out band wagon fans but it also helps the team get positive coverage which then attracts young kids, who then grow into REAL fans. The fact this "organization" has become such an embarrassment is eroding the future fan base. What kid wants to root for and go see a team who is routinely made fun of on tv, radio and by fans of other teams?? Even Browns fans have bragging rights over the Jets this year. 

If Bowles coaches this team to a loss to a pathetic Bill's team today, he should immediately be fired. No post game press conference... no media interviews... just a statement that Bowles has been fired and literally anyone else is now the interim coach. Mac should not be too far behind. The future fan base and, by extension, financial health of this team are depending on it. 

Thank for for this terrific post.  I became a Jets fan in 1965, Joe Namath's rookie season.  It was wonderful to root for a team that had a great young QB, great coaching, and great team players on both sides of the ball.  What they accomplished was magical.  They truly made history when they won Super Bowl III and shut the mouths of all the NFL elitists who said the AFL teams just didn't belong.  Sundays were fun.  The Jets might not win every game, but with Namath in charge, they always had a chance and they had respect.  You were proud to be a Jets fan.  I just don't know if the Johnson's are willing or capable of doing what has to be done to turn this mess around.  Bowles definitely has to go and they need to replace him with someone like Sean McVay.  No more defensive oriented coaches.  We are in the 21st century and we might actually have a franchise QB.  We need to give him a fighting chance.  You don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand this.  I'm 50-50 about giving Macc another year.  He has done some good things but his draft picks and free agent signings leave a lot to be desired.  If there is someone really good who is willing to come to the Jets, I would seriously consider replacing Macc.  Let's hope and pray that the Johnson's wake up and do the right thing.

Good chance the Jets smoke the bills today

Who do you promote?

Who calls the defense?

very unlikely he is fired during the season

Could happen of course but the staff is so thin and weak the team could slip into the old "Jets are a clueless circus. Bad job don't go there" territory

49 minutes ago, foxgt90 said:

Apologies if this isn't the right place to bring up this topic and hopefully this comes across not too doom and gloom...

Lifelong Jets fan here who has raised my 2 sons ages 21 and 14 to be Jets fans. We've only missed one home game since becoming season ticket holders/PSL owners a few years ago because of a vacation to Florida. UNTIL TODAY. 

Not everyone lives close by to MetLife. Coming from CT is a huge investment in time on top of the money we spend. 90 minute ride in so we can get there around 9:30 to tailgate for a few hours and then a 2-3 hour ride home because of the crap show that is NY/NJ/CT traffic. 

Last night both of my boys said they didn't really want to go to today's game. Why?.. Because of the weather?? No. Because of the traffic?? No. Because they had other plans?? No. They didn't want to go because they both said they have no confidence in this team and they'd rather stay home and watch on TV so that when the Jets are losing to the Bill's they can just turn it off. THINK ABOUT THAT. Woody, Mac and Bowles have done such a piss poor job with this team over the past few years that my boys, like many other Jets fans, don't even have confidence in thinking the Jets can hang with the Bills!!! And honestly, they might be right!! 

With Darnold out today, who else on this team is worth making the trip to go see? I practically had to give my tix away on the exchange because demand is so low for this team. 

The bottom line is this. Jets mgmt better turn this ship around and do it fast. Literally no one is growing up to become Jets fans unless they've been indoctrinated and borderline abused into it like my sons. Yes, winning brings out band wagon fans but it also helps the team get positive coverage which then attracts young kids, who then grow into REAL fans. The fact this "organization" has become such an embarrassment is eroding the future fan base. What kid wants to root for and go see a team who is routinely made fun of on tv, radio and by fans of other teams?? Even Browns fans have bragging rights over the Jets this year. 

If Bowles coaches this team to a loss to a pathetic Bill's team today, he should immediately be fired. No post game press conference... no media interviews... just a statement that Bowles has been fired and literally anyone else is now the interim coach. Mac should not be too far behind. The future fan base and, by extension, financial health of this team are depending on it. 

Unfortunately you're wrong about the financial part, if that were actually so you would have seen changes long ago.

I heard that you can score a ticket to todays Jet-Bills game for as low as $7.  But that doesn't change the fact that Johnson will still be splitting billions in tv dollars with the other owners.  It also doesn't change the fact that the team he unfortunately was given ownership in will appreciate in value at anywhere from $50-100M per YEAR, just like the Mets and just like the Knicks, 2 other garbage teams that have the incredible good luck to be from NY.  You own a pro sports team from NY, you basically can print yourself money.

These teams are purely businesses first and foremost, winning comes a very distant second.  For anyone wanting Bowles fired don't get your hopes up.  Johnson, as can be seen by lots of his actions, is extremely cheap, you think a guy who pocketed the 20 mill the Jets played under the cap the year before Revis was re-signed, basically playing an entire year without a Secondary, is going to want to pay a new coach AND Bowles at the same time?  It's going to take a major embarrassment for that to happen, like someone continually flying planes with banners.

There really isn't much hope for this team with this ownership and the people they hire.  I think Bowles and Maccagnan are some of the lowest paid HC/GM in the NFL....you get what you pay for.

3 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

My kids have zero interest in the Jets, they think they are boring and suck. This topic is real. That said, NY is and always has been a bandwagon town, a team can suck for years and then as soon as they start winning NY fans jump on

YOU COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG 

NY/NJ residents stick with their teams through thick and thin especially Jets fans. 

The influx of people moving to the area is where the out of town fan base comes from. 

Kids want to see good offensive football. Fantasy Football is huge - teams need to be exciting to watch or fans will become disinterested fast. My oldest prefers RedZone to watching the actual game. So what have the Jets done? Not hire an offensive minded head coach since Rich Kotite. We've had to endure a lot of boring football. Hire a young offensive coordinator, draft offense early and often, sign exciting players if available with all of our cash and complete the D with a free agent pass rusher. I appreciate good defensive football, but it doesn't bring in young fans. I fell in love with the Jets because of Joe Namath, Ken O'Brien, Al Toon, Wesley Walker, Freeman McNeil. 

2 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Kids want to see good offensive football. Fantasy Football is huge - teams need to be exciting to watch or fans will become disinterested fast. My oldest prefers RedZone to watching the actual game. So what have the Jets done? Not hire an offensive minded head coach since Rich Kotite. We've had to endure a lot of boring football. Hire a young offensive coordinator, draft offense early and often, sign exciting players if available with all of our cash and complete the D with a free agent pass rusher. I appreciate good defensive football, but it doesn't bring in young fans. I fell in love with the Jets because of Joe Namath, Ken O'Brien, Al Toon, Wesley Walker, Freeman McNeil. 

Millennials!!!! :soapbox:

Well said. As one of the truly sad Jet AND Met fans, my boys have already revolted on me and started rooting for other teams. The Jets inaction and futility is truly maddening. As we all have, I've asked myself why I bother more than once. Perhaps some day I'll have an answer.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

YOU COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG 

NY/NJ residents stick with their teams through thick and thin especially Jets fans. 

The influx of people moving to the area is where the out of town fan base comes from. 

Yeah, I disagree. In the mid 80's, nobody had a Yankee hat on, in the late 90's early 00's, nobody had a mets hat on. in 2015, tons of mets hats.

In 2009/10, tons of Jets fans, now everyone is embarrassed to be a Jets fan.

Here is how it breaks down in football/baseball

25% of sports fans are fan of one team hard core

25% of sports fans are fan of other team hard core

50% whoever is better.

This means that 75% of the fans are always there when the team is good

I have a commitment during the game today that I can’t get out of.  Normally, I would be frantically looking for a way to stream on my phone, bringing a back up charger Incase I lose battery, no matter how bad we are, I’d always find a way to watch etc.  

Today?  Don’t even care.  

3 hours ago, foxgt90 said:

I'd throw those ungrateful little brats in the car and go to the game anyway!

Daddy paid good money on the tickets!

I understand that this is a way you spend time and bond with your family, and I respect that, but you could also use this as an opportunity to teach them that this is just a game. It's a sport you root for and nothing else. The peeps who think this is a way of life are the guys who throw stuff at the TV, yell and scream, get drunk at games and start fights with opposing fans...etc. Not the type of men you want to raise. You're just there to have fun and spend some time with each other, no more, no less.

There are people on this forum who will legitimately treat others like crap tonight because they are upset the Jets lost a game. Don't raise those guys.

5 hours ago, foxgt90 said:

Prophet.

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

I think your boys made the right call.

Yeah they did. Game wasn't even on TV in our part of CT. Instead it was out to bfast, pick up leaves and then a trip to a diner for lunch. We did each have on some Jets gear. Can't tell you how many ppl stopped us and "apologized" for us being Jets fans.

5 hours ago, Larz said:

Good chance the Jets smoke the bills today

Who do you promote?

Who calls the defense?

very unlikely he is fired during the season

Could happen of course but the staff is so thin and weak the team could slip into the old "Jets are a clueless circus. Bad job don't go there" territory

this aged amazingly lol

Archived