Harbaugh/Ravens headed for Break-Up

HawkeyeJet

Harbaugh has beaten the Patriots twice in the playoffs & lost once when his kicker missed a chip shot FG. That's not good enough for Jet fans? 

Then, unlike the Jets when Brien missed 3 kicks vs the Steelers, the Jets drafted a kicker in the 2nd round (Nugent) which doubled their mistake!

The Ravens found Tucker. Only a Jets fans after watching Rex & Bowles could say, "what has Harbaugh done?", lol.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If the ravens are dumb enough to fire Harbaugh absolutely the jets should go hard after him

It's such a no brainer. The Ravens dipped after giving Flacco that huge contract & having to turn over the roster to accommodate the dollars. Harbaugh wasn't afraid to attack with his offense on his way to the Super Bowl. Although somewhat conservative, you can't call Harbaugh a p*ssy. 

• Upvote 2

In the SB season the Ravens didn't stubbornly adhere to establishing the run when the D and ST didn't have it. They gave up >30 points twice that postseason, including the SB. They came away with a Lombardi Trophy and dozens of SB rings instead of letting the fan base whine about how it's all the D's fault or the blackout changing momentum or Ray Rice coming up small. 

Maybe he's gotten away from that recently or maybe Flacco just isn't what he was or Ozzie decided that the offensive weapon the team really needed was Mike Wallace after 3 teams let go of him, plus barely making an effort to replace Ray Rice.  I don't follow the nuances of their team nearly closely enough to squarely point fingers. Maybe if things aren't going well, after all these years the players have heard everything this coach has to say and they just tune out. There's something to be said for a change of scenery. 

What I do know is if the roster is good enough - even if it isn't elite from top to bottom - he's shown he can coach a team to a SB winning season. Maybe they'd have gotten there again 2 years later if the refs announced eligible receivers like they do with all non-Patriots teams plus Daniels dropping a late TD pass. Or the year before their SB win when Lee Evans didn't cover up & dropped the game-winning TD (which may have been a catch anyway). 

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

LaCanfora is plugged in generally, but in Baltimore especially.  

Harbaugh moves to the top of my list.   

Absolutely!  John Harbaugh would be an outstanding HC.  He's won 2 SBs and is very competent.  We have a potential FQB and $90M available in FA plus we're a NY market where he can be an absolute hero if he wins here.  This should be a very attractive job.  One thing you can say about Macc is that he's had some things fall into his lap.  Let's hope he doesn't blow it.  Then again, Macc didn't hire Bowles so maybe it's up to the Johnson family to make this call.

He's not a HC with a perfect history. If he was there'd be no talk of a divorce in Baltimore. Before landing with the teams that made them SB winners, one could have pointed out plenty of flaws with Coughlin, Belichick, Carroll, and others.

People routinely and annually wet themselves over Andy Reid, and the only playoff victory he's coached since the Mangini era ended was a WC win over a weak Texans team back in the 2015 season. Reid has a disgusting 1-6 playoff record over that span, as any Eagles/Chiefs fan is well aware he routinely turns into a big fat walrus-faced pussy in the postseason. But hey, he's an "offensive" coach. He's been the king of 1-and-done HCs. Conversely, Harbaugh has never been 1-and-done.  Looking at a small sample size of one or two years wouldn't move me; but when you're talking about 6-7 postseason runs it's tough to chalk that up to mere coincidence.

I'd like someone seriously interested in putting points on the board; that doesn't automatically mean it has to be a former OC or QBC. Just someone competent enough, who also knows enough to hire a OC/QBC who isn't a big 70s-offense puss himself. The last 2 OCs he's hired were Trestman and Mornhinweg. While they aren't offensive geniuses, it's also true they're not typically run-run-run OCs (MM's 2 years OC'ing Geno Smith notwithstanding). These past 5 seasons the Ravens had the most passing attempts in the league in 2014, 2015, 2016, and again so far in 2018. There are reasons for that (e.g. playing catch-up), and they haven't had a top offense just because of that (clearly); both these OCs and the teams they've coached have had obvious flaws. There is a silver lining there, in that it's clear as a HC he likes passing the football and certainly doesn't hamstring his OCs into always establishing the run to set up the pass.

• Upvote 1

My wish is a total house cleaning and a fresh start with a GM hired in time to conduct a search for a coach in time to hire a staff 

If I'm Chris Johnson I'm leaning towards firing macc and promoting little dinger first probably mid December. 

Yes little dinger is baby but he was involved in the trade up and is given credit for the recent draft of "athletes" 

That signals coaches and agents that the Jets are open and don't do anything until you hear the Jets story 

Bowles and the entire staff get fired on black Monday 

The caveat of course is if a hot guy like Riley or other guy starts taking interviews then Bowles goes and you name an interim coach to finish the year 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

How is Harbaugh any different than Rex and Todd?  Guess I'm in the minority but I want nothing to do with John.  Boring unimaginative offense who never developed his franchise QB and has bottom barrel offensive talent.

Winning is easy when you have HOF players all over the field.  Hasn't been so easy for him since.  

No thanks 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I'm a fan of Harbaugh...would stabilize the franchise in ways we haven't ever seen under Woody. With that said, my guess is (if fired) he takes a year off to examine his options.  Seems too smart to work for Woody without some kind of incentive that leads to partial ownership.  

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Give him full control - and then you can lock him in.

Just not enough teams willing to do that - we are in the unique position of being able to make that offer this year.

This seems like a no brainer to me.

I think this is the only/best way to hire him, he worked with Ozzie for years and with Ozzie retiring it looks like the Ravens are going a new direction, breaking in a new GM might not make sense for Harbaugh, this would be a good spot for him

1 minute ago, JiF said:

How is Harbaugh any different than Rex and Todd?  Guess I'm in the minority but I want nothing to do with John.  Boring unimaginative offense who never developed his franchise QB and has bottom barrel offensive talent.

Winning is easy when you have HOF players all over the field.  Hasn't been so easy for him since.  

No thanks 

You sure Harbaugh is the reason for the offensive talent level being what it's been? I don't think he wins in that power struggle between him & Ozzie, and a divorce right as the GM torch is being passed would seem to indicate this is so. 

Flacco is a hit-or-miss QB. He's not great but he's not useless. It's possible this is about as well as he could have been developed; it's convenient to say whatever ceiling you see shouldn't have been such a low one.  I think you're overrating their SB roster. They had a good team, but they were a far cry from HOF players (in their prime) all over the field. Suggs wasn't 100% all year after his achilles injury; Reed was in his final full NFL season; Boldin was still very solid but not what he was in his mid-20s; Ngata was a beast in his prime, no doubt about it; Yanda was the only dominant OLman they had (though Osemele would become great for them later); Rice was a great RB back then but he was no postseason kingmaker.  

I don't think he's the most amazing HC ever, but we could do worse and the track record suggests we are likely to do worse with the Johnsons entrenching themselves as HC-selectors. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'd be ecstatic to get John Harbaugh. I would take John or his brother Jim. Both those guys are great head coaches who know how to surround themselves with a great supporting staff. 

Jim hands down. Would love to see his rants on the sidelines and holding players accountable on screen. 

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You sure Harbaugh is the reason for the offensive talent level being what it's been? I don't think he wins in that power struggle between him & Ozzie, and a divorce right as the GM torch is being passed would seem to indicate this is so. 

Flacco is a hit-or-miss QB. He's not great but he's not useless. It's possible this is about as well as he could have been developed; it's convenient to say whatever ceiling you see shouldn't have been such a low one.  I think you're overrating their SB roster. They had a good team, but they were a far cry from HOF players (in their prime) all over the field. Suggs wasn't 100% all year after his achilles injury; Reed was in his final full NFL season; Boldin was still very solid but not what he was in his mid-20s; Ngata was a beast in his prime, no doubt about it; Yanda was the only dominant OLman they had (though Osemele would become great for them later); Rice was a great RB back then but he was no postseason kingmaker.  

I don't think he's the most amazing HC ever, but we could do worse and the track record suggests we are likely to do worse with the Johnsons entrenching themselves as HC-selectors. 

Have no fear. We have Casserly advising the Johnsons. He’ll recommend another coach. 

Just now, BigO said:

Jim hands down. Would love to see his rants on the sidelines and holding players accountable on screen. 

Neither is lacking in the temper trait. I don't know that it's helpful per se, so much as how maddening it is to fans to see Bowles mumble through the same shy half-smirk he wears no matter how bad the team performs or no matter how bad the refs' calls. 

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Neither is lacking in the temper trait. I don't know that it's helpful per se, so much as how maddening it is to fans to see Bowles mumble through the same shy half-smirk he wears no matter how bad the team performs or no matter how bad the refs' calls. 

At least this team would have a pulse. 

First we have to fire the coaches; next we have to decide what we are doing with GM; whether Mac stays or goes, you can't have the HC reporting to the owner; you need either a head of football, or the new HC should report to the GM. Then, only then do you hire a new HC. So, if they want to be competitive in the offseason searching for a HC, you need to fire Bowles - don't let him on the bus; take the next month to figure out the FO, and then hit the offseason strong looking for the HC.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In the SB season the Ravens didn't stubbornly adhere to establishing the run when the D and ST didn't have it. They gave up >30 points twice that postseason, including the SB. They came away with a Lombardi Trophy and dozens of SB rings instead of letting the fan base whine about how it's all the D's fault or the blackout changing momentum or Ray Rice coming up small. 

Maybe he's gotten away from that recently or maybe Flacco just isn't what he was or Ozzie decided that the offensive weapon the team really needed was Mike Wallace after 3 teams let go of him, plus barely making an effort to replace Ray Rice.  I don't follow the nuances of their team nearly closely enough to squarely point fingers. Maybe if things aren't going well, after all these years the players have heard everything this coach has to say and they just tune out. There's something to be said for a change of scenery. 

What I do know is if the roster is good enough - even if it isn't elite from top to bottom - he's shown he can coach a team to a SB winning season. Maybe they'd have gotten there again 2 years later if the refs announced eligible receivers like they do with all non-Patriots teams plus Daniels dropping a late TD pass. Or the year before their SB win when Lee Evans didn't cover up & dropped the game-winning TD (which may have been a catch anyway). 

Either harbaugh is a no-brainer for this putrid franchise.   Give him 10M/yr and have Dinger Jr report to him not the trust fund boys.   

Harbaugh should also be able to assemble a competent staff on both sides of the ball, especially with Darnold in tow. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Harbaugh never had the most talented team or an elite QB. Ozzie hasn’t done him many favors the last 5 or 6 years.

I’d love if we got Harbaugh and gave him control of personnel.

Drafting Lamar Jackson and trying to run qb by committee killed the ravens season.  Newsome should have taken a look at the jets 2012 season

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not good news for us.  As attractive a job as the Jets should be (at least in theory) when do things ever work out for this franchise?  Denver is a lot more of a stable franchise than the Jets are.

image.png

What did you except? I fully expect that we hire Jeff Fisher at this point and my head exploding. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

Is Mornhinweg still his OC in Baltimore?

Harbaugh has hired some poor offensive coordinators over the years. Mornhinweg and Cam Cameron come to mind.

My first question to any prospective head coach is what will he do to help turn Darnold into a 10 year franchise quarterback. Harbaugh hasn't done that with Flacco. I would proceed with caution.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Jet said:

Is Mornhinweg still his OC in Baltimore?

Harbaugh has hired some poor offensive coordinators over the years. Mornhinweg and Cam Cameron come to mind.

My first question to any prospective head coach is what will he do to help turn Darnold into a 10 year franchise quarterback. Harbaugh hasn't done that with Flacco. I would proceed with caution.

He hired marc trestman too.  Harbaugh is an awful offensive mind.  Get out of here with this guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1