Jonah Williams

maury77

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I can't friggin believe it, but it appears that we are headed for another top 5 pick. I think most of us want offense with the first round pick and many of the online boards think Williams is the best offensive prospect in the draft. 

As of now, Williams is at the top of my wish list.  But why does it always have to be his tape from the National Championship game that gets posted.  Still can't bring myself to watch that.

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

As of now, Williams is at the top of my wish list.  But why does it always have to be his tape from the National Championship game that gets posted.  Still can't bring myself to watch that.

Dude, I'm struggling since draft breakdown went down. 

On 11/11/2018 at 8:26 PM, Lith said:

Strange I can't watch it enough. Especially the final play of the game when Tua freezes Sanders. ;-)   Hopefully we'll both meet up in the final 4 again.

We have plenty of time to drop further in the draft, at best we finish with 4 wins.

Pats 

@ Tenn

@ Bills

Houston

Green Bay &

@ Pats

L, L, probably L, L, L, L.

Best thing is that week 17 is going to mean something for the Pats, so they'll throw the kitchen sink at us.

We're headed for a top pick this year without having to make a trade.

On 11/13/2018 at 6:19 PM, maury77 said:

This is realistic. As much as we will hate it, I can also see the Jets going with Greedy at 5.

I can't. The secondary is literally the best unit on the field. With so many needs there is simply no way we go Greedy. I can't imagine we go defense at all but if we do it will be for an edge rusher.

One thing that scares me a little about Jonah -- Kiper says he comps to Brandon Scherff and might kick inside to guard. Don't really want to use a top 5 pick on a guard.

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I can't. The secondary is literally the best unit on the field. With so many needs there is simply no way we go Greedy. I can't imagine we go defense at all but if we do it will be for an edge rusher.

One thing that scares me a little about Jonah -- Kiper says he comps to Brandon Scherff and might kick inside to guard. Don't really want to use a top 5 pick on a guard.

I did a small breakdown on him in the mock offseason thread. While I did see some flaws in his game he is a Tackle every single day at the next level. 

10 hours ago, RobR said:

I did a small breakdown on him in the mock offseason thread. While I did see some flaws in his game he is a Tackle every single day at the next level. 

Rob, if that is the case, then he has to be the pick for the Jets. 

14 hours ago, maury77 said:

Rob, if that is the case, then he has to be the pick for the Jets. 

Since it looks like we will be in a position to draft him I'll do every breakdown I can on him. My analysis was after only 1 game a year ago and I noticed some positives that can't be taught but I also watched some liabilities. His measurements are going to be huge when it comes to his draft stock. I think he'll do well in that department but he's not going to overwhelm anyone with his wingspan and that is the reason why I see some predicting him to guard. I don't agree.

I still haven't watched a Little tape and with DB going down it's going too suck. People are going to start relying on draft sites for analysis....certain posters will post his glowing review if we take him. If we pass they'll find another review why we passed on him.

Signed,

SOJF

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 4:24 PM, MichaelScott said:

Be sure to mention that to the posters that advacate for winning every game at the end of a meaningless season lol 

What they been doing is prob best case scenario. They been playing well, Darnold is gaining confidence and chemistry with his WRs, but they've been losing, pretty much guaranteeing us a top 3 pick, which hopefully we trade back for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and possible a pick next year or somehow Nick Bosa drops into our laps. I'd like OL in 1st (if we trade back), maybe in 2nd if the right guy is there (someone who blows us away) - or draft a top edge guy if he drops to 2nd, or someone like Riley Ridley (if he has a 2nd round grade - not sure at this moment), 3rd round - whatever spot we didnt fill in first 2 rounds - i think we have multiple 3rd rounders now, but adding 1 more would be cool. Possibly even use them to trade up to 2nd. A lot we could do - but it's the Jets so who knows. 

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Not as good as Cam Robinson who was a second round pick

Thanks for yet another insightful post. Maybe you could tell us why but I think that's highly doubtful since it requires more than 1 ten word sentence.

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i dont see it with this guy. watched a bunch of highlights, he doesnt seem to have the feet and agility to stay with the NFL edge rushers. he seems like more of an interior lineman to me.

He's a LT at the next level through and through when it comes to ability and feet. The only question will be his measurables regarding his height and arm length.

The more I watch him the more I like him....can't say the same for Little.

3 hours ago, RobR said:

He's a LT at the next level through and through when it comes to ability and feet. The only question will be his measurables regarding his height and arm length.

First random article that supports what I saw:

https://www.cover1.net/2019-nfl-draft-jonah-williams-alabama/

You probably noticed that I said offensive lineman and not tackle. Currently, I project Jonah Williams to play right tackle at the next level. However, there’s been some discussion of him potentially making a move inside and playing guard for an offensive line on Sundays. Can I disagree with that? Nope. Last year, I projected Connor Williams from Texas to play left tackle, and he ranked as a top-10 player on my board. He went 50th overall to the Dallas Cowboys in the 2018 NFL Draft and has transitioned to guard for the Cowboys. Anything can happen for any offensive lineman, and for Jonah Williams, everything is on the table.

8 hours ago, RobR said:

His ceiling is Beachum who we currently have

12 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i dont see it with this guy. watched a bunch of highlights, he doesnt seem to have the feet and agility to stay with the NFL edge rushers. he seems like more of an interior lineman to me.

The year Brick came out he was a consensus top pick and his range his with his arms and quick feet were why

Cam Robinson a couple years ago got dismissed by the people who know everything they said he was too slow.  Anyone who actually watched tape of him facing Myles Garret and other elite players knew that wasn’t true and he also had big time size so he had planet theory going for him

Williams has neither Brick’s length and quickness nor Cam Robinson’s size and strength.  He has good technique particularly with hand resets but he’s nothing special like I said his ceiling is Kelvin Beachum

The year Brick came out he was a consensus top pick and his range his with his arms and quick feet were why
Cam Robinson a couple years ago got dismissed by the people who know everything they said he was too slow.  Anyone who actually watched tape of him facing Myles Garret and other elite players knew that wasn’t true and he also had big time size so he had planet theory going for him

Williams has neither Brick’s length and quickness nor Cam Robinson’s size and strength.  He has good technique particularly with hand resets but he’s nothing special like I said his ceiling is Kelvin Beachum

That’s my point I don’t see that LT length and quickness out of him. Reminds me of Brandon Sheriff who came out as a tackle prospect and is now a guard.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

FTR I was one of the only people to say that Robinson could play LT at the next level. Calling Williams ceiling that of Beachum is just plain dumb. 

7 hours ago, k-met57 said:

First random article that supports what I saw:

https://www.cover1.net/2019-nfl-draft-jonah-williams-alabama/

You probably noticed that I said offensive lineman and not tackle. Currently, I project Jonah Williams to play right tackle at the next level. However, there’s been some discussion of him potentially making a move inside and playing guard for an offensive line on Sundays. Can I disagree with that? Nope. Last year, I projected Connor Williams from Texas to play left tackle, and he ranked as a top-10 player on my board. He went 50th overall to the Dallas Cowboys in the 2018 NFL Draft and has transitioned to guard for the Cowboys. Anything can happen for any offensive lineman, and for Jonah Williams, everything is on the table.

I know there are many questioning whether he can be a LT at the next level. I'm just stating my opinion that I think he can play LT and be successful from the tape I've watched so far.

https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/11/02/gabriel-2019-nfl-draft-breakdown-alabama-ot-jonah-williams/a5e2s9f/

Offensive and defensive linemen aren’t the sexy positions on a football team, but if it isn't strong in the trenches, it isn't going to win. That is why in any draft, the “hogs” have a tendency to go high, with the premier offensive tackles annually being top-10 picks. A draft can be considered weak or strong depending on how many linemen are going to be premium-round picks.

While it’s still early to know how strong the 2019 NFL Draft will be because we don’t know how many underclassmen will declare, there is a left tackle at Alabama who has caught the eye of every NFL decision maker — Alabama LT Jonah Williams — and the early word is he will enter next April's draft.

Williams is a third-year junior who has started every game at Alabama the past three seasons. As a freshman in 2016 he started at right tackle, and then the past two seasons he has been Bama's left tackle.

Coming of high school from Folsom, California, Williams was rated as a 5-star recruit by both Rivals and 247. Just about every major school in the country offered Williams, so he basically was the pick of the litter when it came to offensive tackles. He chose Alabama and was an early enrollee, which helped him get ready to start as a true freshman.

Williams is listed as being 6-foot-5, 301 pounds, though looking at tape I am not so sure he is quite that tall. He might lack ideal height, but Williams has long arms, which can help make up for being a little shorter. As an athlete, Williams is second to none at the tackle position. He runs well (5.13 estimate), has very quick feet, plays with excellent bend, has great balance and can change direction. He has very good strength and power and is explosive through his hips.

In the run game, Williams has excellent snap reaction and gets off the ball very quickly. He is explosive on contact, runs his feet and is consistently able to get movement. He easily gets out to linebackers and can adjust on the move very well. Because of his speed and athleticism, Williams is always looking to make downfield blocks.

In the pass game, he sets quickly, keeps his back straight and is very quick with his lateral movement. With his excellent agility, he is able to slide and recover back to the inside when facing counter moves. Williams has quick hands, shows a strong punch, keeps his hands inside and is able to control his opponent with his hand use. Williams might be just over 300 pounds, but he is a natural bender and anchors very well against bull rushers.

As I see it, Williams will be a plug-and-play guy as a rookie. With his experience on the right side as a freshman, he should immediately be able to play anywhere along the offensive front. It will all depend on where the team that drafts him, needs him the most.

Archived