MSG Sportsdesk a Friggin Disgrace

Green DNA

After missing all the Mangini action today while I was at work, I turn on the TV at 10 p.m. to catch Sportsdesk. Steve Cangiolosi says "The Jets get their man", but first......

Here's the but first:

1) Marbury's sprained shoulder sustained in yesterday's game, plus an interview of Marbury.

2) Rangers highlights from yesterday, focusing on Kevin Weekes

3) An interview with the other Rangers goalie and how he likes playing at the Garden

4) A round table discussion on whether Brian Leetch should return to the Rangers.

Are you fargin kidding me????

At this point I turned the TV off. Almost a half hour into the show and nothing, nothing on the biggest NY sports story off the day. I bet Sporscenter leads off with the Mangini hire or at least has it near the top. Do the Dolans hate the Jets that much that they reduce the story to a second half hour blurb? Or are they such a bush league operation that they want you to watch the whole show before running the top story. I will never watch that show again, seriously. Eff the Dolans.

The reason why sportsdesk is like that is because it's VERY EXPENSIVE to run a national sports show. It's that way because of all the licensing fees you have to pay to all the different channels. Because of this, they structured their show to be basically "MSG Sportsdesk, all MSG all the time" since obviously, they do not need to pay royalties to themselves. They sprinkle in some outside happenings to try to keep all fans interested, but they will never spend on royalties to fill a 10 minute segment, let alone 22. (30 minute programs = 22 minutes of actual program)

The reason why sportsdesk is like that is because it's VERY EXPENSIVE to run a national sports show. It's that way because of all the licensing fees you have to pay to all the different channels. Because of this, they structured their show to be basically "MSG Sportsdesk, all MSG all the time" since obviously, they do not need to pay royalties to themselves. They sprinkle in some outside happenings to try to keep all fans interested, but they will never spend on royalties to fill a 10 minute segment, let alone 22. (30 minute programs = 22 minutes of actual program)

Understood, but the biggest local story of the day obviously was the Mangini hiring. To totally ignore that for almost half an hour while debating the merits of bringing Leetch back to NY or showing yesterday's highlights is irresponsible and amateurish. It is billed as a sports show, not a 30 minute advertisement for the garbage in their building that they try to pass off as sports.

Understood, but the biggest local story of the day obviously was the Mangini hiring. To totally ignore that for almost half an hour while debating the merits of bringing Leetch back to NY or showing yesterday's highlights is irresponsible and amateurish. It is billed as a sports show, not a 30 minute advertisement for the garbage in their building that they try to pass off as sports.

Programming is set up days in advance, especially for a show like that with fluff pieces.

I'm not making excuses for the show, it's a pathetic show, but when you tune that show in, you should know what you are getting yourself into.

...Though all you said is true DNA...Tuesday is definately Rangers night and thats why you saw so much hockey stuff. If you were to turn there tonight you'd see all Knicks all night because today is Knicks night. Although the story was big Sportsdesk usually covers what is active at the time. Meaning that since football season is over..for the Jets anyway... and hocky and b-ball is alive and well in our local market..ie. Knicks and Rangers, they tend to focus on them first. And the Marbury thing is big too..though the Knicks have sucked the last couple games, during the string of wins he's been a catalyst. Him messing up the shoulder is big to that team right now...DOn't give the show itself a bad rap because when the Jets are in and during the full swing of the football season they are all about the Jets and the Giants. They show lengthy stuff about the Jets...give it another try one day I guess... :wink:

...Though all you said is true DNA...Tuesday is definately Rangers night and thats why you saw so much hockey stuff. If you were to turn there tonight you'd see all Knicks all night because today is Knicks night. Although the story was big Sportsdesk usually covers what is active at the time. Meaning that since football season is over..for the Jets anyway... and hocky and b-ball is alive and well in our local market..ie. Knicks and Rangers, they tend to focus on them first. And the Marbury thing is big too..though the Knicks have sucked the last couple games, during the string of wins he's been a catalyst. Him messing up the shoulder is big to that team right now...DOn't give the show itself a bad rap because when the Jets are in and during the full swing of the football season they are all about the Jets and the Giants. They show lengthy stuff about the Jets...give it another try one day I guess... :wink:

Shak, There was no bigger sports story in NY yesterday than the Mangini hiring. I guarantee you that all of the local sports bits led off with that story. I turned the show off in disgust, but I am sure that MSG probably ran pieces on curling, badminton and cricket before getting to the Mangini story.

I do know the Jets intend to put some programming on the Mets network when it gets up and running. That will be an outlet for more Jets coverage. Let's face it-Dolan hasn't done anything to help the Jets, and you know he's going to jerk around the Mets for channel clearance. And for better or worse, teams today want to control their broadcast inventory. The Giants have some show on YES that's hosted by their meida guy that's a complete commercial; doubt the Jets will be much different.

Michael Kay was all upset today because Mangini or the Jets apparently had somebody from the Jets office call to ask about what questions he would be asking when he interviewed Mangini. It might be bush, but it's reality. And to pretend that at YES they don't sometimes have to cut it back as per management isn't realistic.And above all, reporters were so used to the unfettered access of Edwards that this may be a shock. And Mangini he wins, nobody will care.

Archived