Was today the best possible outcome for Sam?

JetFreak89

Let’s get the obvious out of the way and say that Bowles being gone is best for Sam in the long term. More importantly, not only did Sam get a chance to take a breather and watch from the sidelines but he also gets two weeks to reset his season moving forward with a big weight off his shoulders as I’m sure that a part of him felt like he could be messing up the team’s chances at a playoff spot.

Finally, and maybe most importantly, the rest of the offensive players can no longer be thinking (or wishing) that if Uncle Josh were playing QB he’d improve their stats or chances of winning. This is truly Sam’s team moving forward and the only goal the rest of the year is his development.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

That is TBD because you don’t know what moves will be made and how the new coach will do with Darnold. Could be way better, could be worse.(I know that is very difficult to believe but I thought Rex 2014 was as bad as it got before Todd came about) but at the same time I feel like it’s safer to say yes than no...

As far as the mental reset with two weeks to recoup..yeah that worked on his favor.

22 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Let’s get the obvious out of the way and say that Bowles being gone is best for Sam in the long term. More importantly, not only did Sam get a chance to take a breather and watch from the sidelines but he also gets two weeks to reset his season moving forward with a big weight off his shoulders as I’m sure that a part of him felt like he could be messing up the team’s chances at a playoff spot.

Finally, and maybe most importantly, the rest of the offensive players can no longer be thinking (or wishing) that if Uncle Josh were playing QB he’d improve their stats or chances of winning. This is truly Sam’s team moving forward and the only goal the rest of the year is his development.

Your last point is a good one. They are all good, but that last one was a real opportunity for the critics to get off his back. 

8 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

yep.  in many ways sitting out was the best thing for darnold. 

Easily

It shut up people who thought Darnold was the problem, and the offense would be at a contending level with McCown at the helm.

It helped expose that the problem for us is coaching, speeding up the end of Bowles which in the long run is extremely beneficial to Darnold.

I'm sure it also got Darnold more support in the locker room as now it's certain that he is the best QB on the roster to do the job.

Also he's going to have an extended period of rest which is good as he's been beaten up and struggling as of late. Some time to rest and watch the game could rejuvenate him coming off the bye. 

2 hours ago, JiF said:

It can’t hurt his confidence and yes, it will shut up players like Kearse who came out basically saying we have an offense now with Joshy. 

Best outcome for Sam would have been drafted by a team ready for him. Kid would have been fine on a roster with an ok offense. A guy snapping the ball durectly  to him might have even made a difference.

A lot of the games we lost started going bad after a Key bad snap. With a young rookie QB that is going to make mistakes the rest of the team doesn’t get that luxury. Im not sure a QB in the league could win regularly with this group. We now know neither could McCown. Why would anyone think the  youngest starting QB ever could? Assinine. 

6 minutes ago, Grandy said:

the offense would be at a contending level with McCown at the helm.

only an eeddgit could believe this...  he has never been a contender. EVER. 

terrible idea that he could MENTOR. terrible to pay him 10 million.

yall needa take your tongues back out of this dog's ___

9 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Completely agree.  Sunday's game was pathetic and proved to me that Darnold, as shaky as he's been, is a legit QB who has been holding a really crappy offense together  with glue and masking tape.  He's the ONLY player that matters on this team right now, and that includes every one of our "great" defensive players.  

9 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

exactly!  I was saying this to all my Jets fans yesterday:  this was the BEST possible scenario.  just IMAGINE if Sam had started yesterday and this happened!!!  Oh man everyone would be ready to dump him.  at least now we know this is not Sam's fault.  even the vet could do nothing yesterday!  I feel so much better about Sam now.  now we just need them to get rid of Bowles and Bates, and use that $$$ wisely!!

What happened yesterday was the absolute best case scenario for Darnold. There was a real chance that Mccown was going to play well yesterday, win the game (jets were favored by 7) and the fans/media/teammates were going to act as if the teams poor performance the last few weeks were, in part, due to Darnold's poor/rookie play. All we would hear for two weeks was that the team was underperforming because of Darnold and that Bowles was a good coach being held back by a rookie. Now the crappiness of Bowles is without doubt and the team can't point fingers at Darnold the rest of the season. 

We also have the added bonus of improving our draft position without it coming at the expense of Darnold.  

Gregg Little and Jonah Williams are two highly ranked Tackles that will be available in this years draft. We need to be in position to get 1 of them or another lineman that emerges as a top 5-10 worthy pick. 

2 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Nobody thought Darnold was ‘the’ problem. Nobody thought the offense would be good with McCown. All this butt-wounded tilting at straw men is getting to be a bit much.

Nobody? Have you been paying attention? Or are you just trying to be an ass

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Best outcome for Sam would have been drafted by a team ready for him. Kid would have been fine on a roster with an ok offense. A guy snapping the ball durectly  to him might have even made a difference.

A lot of the games we lost started going bad after a Key bad snap. With a young rookie QB that is going to make mistakes the rest of the team doesn’t get that luxury. Im not sure a QB in the league could win regularly with this group. We now know neither could McCown. Why would anyone think the  youngest starting QB ever could? Assinine. 

I've said it 100 times, I dont think anyone truly understands how a bad snap throws off your offense.  It's legit, impossible to get any rhythm when your QB has to play hero just to save the snap.  Sam was the best WR on the field vs. Miami. 

Couple that with the OL doesnt do anything well and the WR's and RB's are barely NFL players, legit disaster scenario for the youngest week 1 starter in NFL history.

What saddens me is that I think Sam is fine, it's he was drafted by the Jets. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I've said it 100 times, I dont think anyone truly understands how a bad snap throws off your offense.  It's legit, impossible to get any rhythm when your QB has to play hero just to save the snap.  Sam was the best WR on the field vs. Miami. 

Couple that with the OL doesnt do anything well and the WR's and RB's are barely NFL players, legit disaster scenario for the youngest week 1 starter in NFL history.

What saddens me is that I think Sam is fine, it's he was drafted by the Jets. 

also helped darnold b/c there were many even on this board who have complained that the offensive failures with a rookie qb have impacted the defense, but the D was putrid from the start yesterday.  also set the record straight on how much worse the OL looks with a qb who isn't able to avoid the rush.

No, this is not good for Sam in any way.  Another situation he has fallen into of poor coaching, players put in situations that do not maximize their strength and talents, another program in crisis.  He went right from the frying pan into the fire.  At least at USC he got to play the hero and saved the jobs of the coaching staff till he was gone, now we see all the warts.

Fact is, the Jets not only drafted the youngest QB in the draft, but the least experienced (reps do count, ignorant not to acknowledge this), Sam did not want a private QB coach in HS, till right before the draft - like 80% of the QBs in D1 - to play other sports, refused to participate in 7 on 7 circuit because it was not "real football".  

All the franchisees scouting staff knew this pre draft, and as tempting as his raw talent may have seemed, this was a horrible situation to be in, for him, and the Jets and the fans.

That said, the Jets fans have been great, moreso than we could have imagined, or hoped for.

14 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

No, this is not good for Sam in any way.  Another situation he has fallen into of poor coaching, players put in situations that do not maximize their strength and talents, another program in crisis.  He went right from the frying pan into the fire.  At least at USC he got to play the hero and saved the jobs of the coaching staff till he was gone, now we see all the warts.

Fact is, the Jets not only drafted the youngest QB in the draft, but the least experienced (reps do count, ignorant not to acknowledge this), Sam did not want a private QB coach in HS, till right before the draft - like 80% of the QBs in D1 - to play other sports, refused to participate in 7 on 7 circuit because it was not "real football".  

All the franchisees scouting staff knew this pre draft, and as tempting as his raw talent may have seemed, this was a horrible situation to be in, for him, and the Jets and the fans.

That said, the Jets fans have been great, moreso than we could have imagined, or hoped for.

We're talking about this last game, not his overall situation.  Not that I disagree with what you're saying but is your overall point that he should have stayed in college? 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

We're talking about this last game, not his overall situation.  Not that I disagree with what you're saying but is your overall point that he should have stayed in college? 

Oh no....he should have, and did, run for his FB life away from his college coaching staff.  

Simply stating that the situation now is a little worse, considering lack of surrounding talent....and he already had youth, inexperience as challenges not the fault of the Jets franchise.  Raw talent, that might have been better for his development to have fallen in the draft, he didn't, but I truly feel he is in the best place for fan support at the top of the draft.

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Nobody thought Darnold was ‘the’ problem. Nobody thought the offense would be good with McCown. All this butt-wounded tilting at straw men is getting to be a bit much.

You don’t read the board thoroughly enough.

25 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Oh no....he should have, and did, run for his FB life away from his college coaching staff.  

Simply stating that the situation now is a little worse, considering lack of surrounding talent....and he already had youth, inexperience as challenges not the fault of the Jets franchise.  Raw talent, that might have been better for his development to have fallen in the draft, he didn't, but I truly feel he is in the best place for fan support at the top of the draft.

Sam, you would have been best served sitting this year while we started Bridgewater. Trading him was stupid.

3 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

No one?  You are totally wrong there my friend the narrative from the national media was already that bowles was a victim of a rookie QB and if McCown would have done anything it would have cemented this excuse.  Getting killed by Buffalo was the best thin to happen to this team, gets rid of the vet Qb excuse and further exposes the joke of a defense this team has and further shows our gm has no fing clue in free agency.

14 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Mac and Bowles should be fired the same day, an hour after our last game 

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No one?  You are totally wrong there my friend the narrative from the national media was already that bowles was a victim of a rookie QB and if McCown would have done anything it would have cemented this excuse.  Getting killed by Buffalo was the best thin to happen to this team, gets rid of the vet Qb excuse and further exposes the joke of a defense this team has and further shows our gm has no fing clue in free agency.

You guys keep saying over and over that there are people out there who think Darnold is the only thing holding back what otherwise would be a great team. I say it's not true. Show me one example or shut the **** up.

10 hours ago, bgivs21 said:

No - the team quit. And if we have Bowles at the helm for 7 more games, Sam is going to get hurt even worse than he already is. 

In all honesty, IMO the best thing for Darnold right now is to be put on IR.  The rest of the season is going to be chaos.  Not a good thing for a rookie QB.  If I had to bet, Darnold is hitting himself in the head right now for not staying at USC one more year.

After the "no" decision today I hope they put Sam in bubble wrap until next offseason - Sunday proved there is nothing to gain from 6 more games

Start Teddy - oh wait they got the last pick in the third round to join the  rest of the mid-round busts 

At least Teddy would have provided some entertainment - Jets are unwatchable now - great strategy

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

In all honesty, IMO the best thing for Darnold right now is to be put on IR.  The rest of the season is going to be chaos.  Not a good thing for a rookie QB.  If I had to bet Darnold is hitting himself in the head right now for not staying at USC one more year.

on the flip side, all the players are basically on notice that the hc is gone at the end of the season and jobs are on the line.  let the entire offensive roster audition to see who is worth keeping, and also, it will be interesting to see if the offensive philosophy changes after the bye week.  darnold needs to play the pats 2x this season so he can get that experience out of the way before he can lead us to glory.

Archived