Rapoport: Jets not Expected to Fire Todd Bowles

southtown24th

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

The #JetsNYJets2018.png won’t be firing Todd Bowles today. Comes down not to Sam Darnold & his development (Bowles isn’t involved in offense), but, among other things, the fact there isn’t a suitable replacement on staff.

So the fact that Bowels has managed to put together the WORST coaching staff in the entire NFL is actually helping him maintain his job!!!!!!!!

That makes SENSE!!!

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

While I don’t like it..probably for the best.   any interim would be a lame duck etc.  it shows a future prospect that management will behave rational.   Bowles should have been gone last year but que será será.  

This.

We all want him gone and I think he will be.  It's a question of when and how to protect the team, it's rookie QB and it's future prospects for hiring a HC that matter most right now.  The Jets will grit their teeth and stomach 7 more weeks of ineptitude.

To your point about management showing some rationality and tolerance I DO THINK that's something Head Coach candidates and their agents will look at.  Bowles got an extra year and even a 2-year extension while riding consecutive 5-11 seasons.  Rex probably got one year longer than he should have as well.  Head Coach candidates will see an ownership situation that tries to err on the side of consistency and gives HC's the benefit of the doubt for at least one extra season.  When you couple that with a possible future franchise QB already in place, tons of Cap room and a likely Top 5 Draft pick the Jets start to look very appetizing.

1 minute ago, JetsYanks13 said:

That’s the point of getting rid of Bowles. See what you have in bates to determine future moves. Give him a 6 week audition without any interference and see what happens. This would involve using common sense by the jets hierarchy, which they don’t seem to have.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You don’t need to see what you have in Bates. He’s not an option. You just need Sam to have a shot at developing which is impossible with Bowles handcuffing Bates. 

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The rational side of my brain agrees with this.  The emotional part does not, of course.

Bowles deserves to be fired.  No doubt about it.  The question is would it be the best thing for the team right now or at the end of the season.  The irony of all this is that the only reason Bowles probably survives for 2 more months is because he's done such a poor job staffing his coaches that there's no one capable of stepping into the HC spot even on an interim basis to simply lead the team for 7 games.

Think about that.  Bowles increased his longevity by virtue of not hiring any capable people below him! lol  Pure Jets right there.

But again, cutting Bowles loose probably throws the team and development of Darnold into more (rather than less) chaos at the moment.

It'll be ugly, the Jets will lose, the game plans will be tough to stomach.  But, it's probably the best course of action at the moment.  Bowles is incompetent but not a bad guy.  He also, surprisingly, does not have a fractured locker room at this point.  The team looks unmotivated and resigned to a lost season, but they haven't pointed a lot of fingers and they still have the coach's back, at least when they talk to the media.

There's no circus here.  Just really bad football.  And that is something the Owner seems willing to suck up for 7 more games.

frankly, imo, it would be better now.  first off it would help them remove bowles from their psyche.  secondly it would also land some of the blame clearly at the feet of the players.  bowles has gone out of his ways to protect these guys and yesterday is an indication of how much of a wall any of them are willing to do for their coach.  

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Bowles’ strategy of hiring the weakest coaching staff in the NFL bought him 6 additional weeks as there is no one in-house capable of even being an INTERIM HC of a sinking ship. Let that one soak in.

In my opinion this is GROUNDS to FIRE HIM alone!!!!

expected result. The whole staff is a bunch of morons, so no in-house HC candidates available (perhaps that is Toilet's shrewdness in play?). One positive is that with the head moron here they will likely lose out and finish 3-13. Maybe end up with a top 3 pick???, almost guaranteed top 5 pick at 3-13. Hope the giants start winning some games. 

Toilet is certainly done here. Would not wait until black monday. Make him suffer through final press conference, pack up his office while he mumbles and passes the buck and then have him head straight for his car when the press conference is over. 

You don’t need to see what you have in Bates. He’s not an option. You just need Sam to have a shot at developing which is impossible with Bowles handcuffing Bates. 

I didn’t mean bates as the next HC, but rather being allowed to call plays with that dope having any input! Open up the playbook, determine whether the west coast system will stay. Breathe some fresh air into the offense without that moron having any oversight.

6 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

That’s the point of getting rid of Bowles. See what you have in bates to determine future moves. Give him a 6 week audition without any interference and see what happens. This would involve using common sense by the jets hierarchy, which they don’t seem to have.

The problem is that we don’t know if the offense is totally Bates or has a bunch of Bowles mixed in? 

It makes sense. Maccagnan's one undeniable skill is the ability to cover his own ass. Firing Bowles now just gives everyone six games to realize that the roster is a used diaper. This way, he fires Bowles in January and sells ownership on how unfair it would be to fire him without letting him pick his own coach. Good times.

10 minutes ago, JetsYanks13 said:

LOL if you think Bates is any good!!!!!

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

frankly, imo, it would be better now.  first off it would help them remove bowles from their psyche.  secondly it would also land some of the blame clearly at the feet of the players.  bowles has gone out of his ways to protect these guys and yesterday is an indication of how much of a wall any of them are willing to do for their coach.  

That's a very good point but it also assumes that the players could be evaluated over the final 7 games as they play under Coach TBD and his game plans which could be as bad as Bowle's have been.  After all, the interim guy would come from a staff that's already been heavily involved with how this team is currently performing.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

lol, I've been saying that Bowles was promised he was safe this season for starting a rookie QB. Watch him survive this season.

If you're right... I will quit this team.  I can find better things to do.  100% serious.   Might not watch another game this season anyway...

While it may be stupid, is anyone really slightly surprised?  And I mean surprised by how this team actually operates, not in what you wanted to see happen versus what is happening.  They haven't done midseason firings of any of the incompetents that preceded the current ones, so not sure why anyone would expect this to be different.  Not to mention, when the ax comes down, there's a very high chance it's going to involve a looooot of current Jets' employees (i.e., every single coach, and one would certainly hope most of the front office), so I'm sure they're in no rush to spend time giving promotions to other guys who they're getting ready to send to unemployment too.  Of course, we obviously all think the sooner the better, but clearly they're in no rush, for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

i can actually see the johnsons not wanting to 'rock darnold's boat' the rest of the year, then clean house.  not saying i like it but i can see them thinking like that.  

Makes no difference.  Bates will be fired, Darnold starts all over again with a new system, and a new language.  

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The rational side of my brain agrees with this.  The emotional part does not, of course.

Bowles deserves to be fired.  No doubt about it.  The question is would it be the best thing for the team right now or at the end of the season.  The irony of all this is that the only reason Bowles probably survives for 2 more months is because he's done such a poor job staffing his coaches that there's no one capable of stepping into the HC spot even on an interim basis to simply lead the team for 7 games.

Think about that.  Bowles increased his longevity by virtue of not hiring any capable people below him! lol  Pure Jets right there.

But again, cutting Bowles loose probably throws the team and development of Darnold into more (rather than less) chaos at the moment.

It'll be ugly, the Jets will lose, the game plans will be tough to stomach.  But, it's probably the best course of action at the moment.  Bowles is incompetent but not a bad guy.  He also, surprisingly, does not have a fractured locker room at this point.  The team looks unmotivated and resigned to a lost season, but they haven't pointed a lot of fingers and they still have the coach's back, at least when they talk to the media.

There's no circus here.  Just really bad football.  And that is something the Owner seems willing to suck up for 7 more games.

just said pretty much the same thing, would have to promote an assistant since our coordinators are such sh*t.  

17 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

If you're right... I will quit this team.  I can find better things to do.  100% serious.   Might not watch another game this season anyway...

I missed most of the first quarter and wasn't even rushed to tune in once I got home.  Saw the score and texted my buddy asking wtf happened.  He texted me a half hour later that he was just turning the game on and wanted to ask ME what happened.  Point of my story is that a lot of die hard jets fans are not interested in what we had going on yesterday and more likely than not will have even less interest next week...

2 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I missed most of the first quarter and wasn't even rushed to tune in once I got home.  Saw the score and texted my buddy asking wtf happened.  He texted me a half hour later that he was just turning the game on and wanted to ask ME what happened.  Point of my story is that a lot of die hard jets fans are not interested in what we had going on yesterday and more likely than not will have even less interest next week...

I'm actually super excited. The bye week is the best week of the year.

38 minutes ago, CTM said:

They should fire Mac now to begin GM search. GM hires coach.

Absolutely, positively this.  There would be no single worse decision than keeping Mac, and quite frankly, with the trade deadline passed and clearly no contract extensions being worried about at this point, what's he even really doing other than rearranging chairs on the Titanic these days anyway?

The rebuilding of this team starts at the top, and that comes with finding a new GM and letting all of the candidates know the coaching decisions will all be at their discretion.  That's not only a much smarter way for it to be handled, but also brings greater appeal to the position.

Just now, JetPotato said:

The best thing is to fire the GM NOW.

For the fans this is the best thing to do.  For the coaches and players i don’t think so.  It will demoralize them in the middle of the season even more than they are now.  Bowles and MAcc dug their own graves.  Let them bury themselves now.  

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I said this before. I have now lost all respect for this organization.

"Decisions wont be rash"?

IT'S BEEN 3 ******* YEARS!

Ben McAdoo getting fired from the Giants was more rash than this would be.

It will be tough because it's in my blood, but I'm not rooting for these guys anymore. And I feel sorry and pity at the people who have to pay to go see their games. 

you do realize Rappoport is not employed by the Jets 

Archived