Rapoport: Jets not Expected to Fire Todd Bowles

southtown24th

29 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

While it may be stupid, is anyone really slightly surprised?  And I mean surprised by how this team actually operates, not in what you wanted to see happen versus what is happening.  They haven't done midseason firings of any of the incompetents that preceded the current ones, so not sure why anyone would expect this to be different.  Not to mention, when the ax comes down, there's a very high chance it's going to involve a looooot of current Jets' employees (i.e., every single coach, and one would certainly hope most of the front office), so I'm sure they're in no rush to spend time giving promotions to other guys who they're getting ready to send to unemployment too.  Of course, we obviously all think the sooner the better, but clearly they're in no rush, for whatever reason.

I honestly don't care when they fire Todd Bowles as long as they do it. Look at the bright side .... there wont be any spark or motivational speeches from a new HC causing us to somehow win a few more games and hurt our draft spot.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firing a coach mid-season makes sense if you want to give somebody else on the coaching staff a test drive at a promotion or you feel very confident you will hire a better head coach in the following offseason. Otherwise blindly firing the head coach mid-season means you might end up stuck hiring a coach that is as bad or worse. You might as well just let the season finish tanking, take advantage of the high draft picks and quietly begin searching for a new head coach. If you think the team will dump both HC and GM then they really have to start searching out a new GM and ideally let him decide if he wants to promote any coach on the current staff or conduct an external search.

Hopefully Macc and Chris Johnson are at least talking to potential replacements for Bowles. 

Oh this gunna be good. The Pats game is going to be Gold. Let's see what happens when they drop the 60 Burger on Todd.

It's all but confirmed my suspicion that Chris Johnson has no power and big brother has to give the OK.

Which won't happen until the season is over, with him being locked in the Tower of London.  

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

"Decisions won't be rash."  

3-1/2 years of watching complete incompetence from the HC is rash?????  This organization is embarrassing.  

The rash decision would be keeping him around to coach the rest of the season.  The players already quit on him yesterday, and it'll only get worse.  These players aren't going to galvanize things to support their coach.  They already don't respect him. 

2 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I said this before. I have now lost all respect for this organization.

"Decisions wont be rash"?

IT'S BEEN 3 ******* YEARS!

Ben McAdoo getting fired from the Giants was more rash than this would be.

It will be tough because it's in my blood, but I'm not rooting for these guys anymore. And I feel sorry and pity at the people who have to pay to go see their games. 

I kinda liked it more when you defended and rationalized everything

2 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Darnold shouldn't play another snap this season.  Sit him down.  Wait until next season and a fresh start.  This is going to be BAD if Darnold keeps starting, the team keeps losing in epic fashion and Bowles and Bates are at the helm.  This is a disgrace.

Said this yesterday.  Sam should not be thrown into the fire this year anymore.

2 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

yeah, rex pretty much said the same thing.  I saw Ian say this on ESPN this morning.  Made a lot of sense that nothing good would come of dumping Bowles at this time.  Acknowledged that the fans want blood after yesterday.

How about as an organization declaring that an effort like yesterday is deplorable and we have greater standards.  Thus, the head coach goes and anyone else who gives up on the field will be cut or let go as a free agent.  I think a lot of good comes out of that!!

If we had legitimate potential interms like Gregg Williams then he would've been fired no doubt about it, but what are we gonna do? Put Bates or Kacy in charge? 

Bowles sucks ass but its not like there are any other people that can coach right now. Waiting for the end of the season is the only real option here. As much as it sucks, that's just reality.

Um, the headline for this thread is completely inaccurate. The tweet didn't say they're not firing him. It says he won't be fired during the season, which is what a lot of people expected since there isn't anyone on this God-forsaken, dysfunctional Jets coaching staff with enough skill to even be an interim HC. 

3 hours ago, southtown24th said:

Even after yesterday’s horrific loss, my understanding is that any possible changes coming to the #JetsNYJets2018.png would be based on a decision made after the season, rather than during. That is the expectation. Decisions won’t be rash.

sometimes keeping a guy can be a rash decision

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Makes no difference.  Bates will be fired, Darnold starts all over again with a new system, and a new language.  

I watched yesterday, and some of the Jet language at the line I have heard from other teams.  It is not always a drastic change

Jet owners are rubbing the fans' noses in the sh*t that is this NYJ team.  I would not be surprised if the Sillver Spoon Brothers leave things status quo after the season.  It may take a Herculean effort for the press to write Bowles out of here.  Fans are just going to have to make some kind of ruckus. Chant, march outside the stadium.  Nothing gets through to blue bloods who retire by helicopter to their ivory towers after games.  Bowles is a nice guy, I do not want to see that kind of thing, but the fans have been ill treated here. If any Jet fans are still attending home games, they might trynot selling their tickets and staying home.  And the Jet switchboard should be non-functional for the rest of the year.

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

I missed most of the first quarter and wasn't even rushed to tune in once I got home.  Saw the score and texted my buddy asking wtf happened.  He texted me a half hour later that he was just turning the game on and wanted to ask ME what happened.  Point of my story is that a lot of die hard jets fans are not interested in what we had going on yesterday and more likely than not will have even less interest next week...

I predicted exactly what would happen yesterday in another thread... I went fishing instead of watching....

10 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I watched yesterday, and some of the Jet language at the line I have heard from other teams.  It is not always a drastic change

Read an article earlier this year that said the Jets had the longest verbiage in their play calling then any team in the league. up to 17 words.  Probably has contributed to time outs, and delay of game calls.

Totally new play books are a real problem for young QB's.  if it's a long time vet, no big deal.  For a young guy it's major.  

2 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Does not have to be Rodgers or Bates.  Could be Dennison or Dorrell.  NO hard and fast rule.  Dorrell ws a college HC.

Nuances like this help you understand how little practical savvy most people have. Good point to make here. Interim HC doesn’t have to be the next coordinator in line, it should be the person who demonstrates the competence to manage. Some coordinators, most really, are not that person.

So who's coming to the Pats/Texans/and Packers HOME games we still have left? :)

Should be a DOOOOOOOZZY! 

Dennison would suffice as HC for the remaining 6 games; recall he was Bills' 1& Done OC in '17.

Firing Hugh Jackson (the next NYJHC, BTW) & OC Haley mid-season doesn't seem to have hindered Mayfield, he's improved since the move. 

I left the game w/3:33 left in the 2nd Qtr. Still had to endure 45 mins of NYC traffic to get back home and arrive at 3:15. 

Last week's Miami loss officially ended the interest and hope for this '18 season, but yesterday's live game was SOO ABYSMAL that it killed the EMOTIONAL aspect/joy/interest that I feel for my NY Jets. The Jets Love is now rendered DEAD until the final whistle of the 16th game up in NE on December 30th, 2018. Why aggravate myself, sadly I've resigned myself to the point of indifference. A lobotomized NYJ fan.

Grilled some good Red Snapper and veggies, on the bright side! :D

Sorry for the rambling stream of consciousness. I'm coming to terms (for the "n"th time) on how frustrating this team is and that we may have possibly broken our young QB. This is WHY we can't have nice things. 

Hey Chris and Woody, if TB was running your band aid business, he’d be long gone. Allowing TB to continue in his present capacity makes as much sense as buying an Indy race car and hiring Stevie Wonder to drive it. How many accidents do you need to see before upyou realize it’s a bad idea? How long before Sam is a permanent victim of this continual car wreck? TB must be removed NOW. Not after the season. NOW! Anyone with myopic football sense would do a better job.

Anyone not named Bowles would have replaced your incapacitated C after one bad snap after watching his previous game. Anyone not named Bowles would replace his QB before he threw his 6th. Int. Anyone not named Bowles would not punt late in the 4th qtr down two scores. Anyone not named Bowles would not waste time outs like they were trash. Anyone not named Bowles could get the team more motivated then the statue who imitates a coach. Anyone not named Bowles could do a better job. End this charade and fire TB now......and hire anyone. Because anyone would do a better job.

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Nuances like this help you understand how little practical savvy most people have. Good point to make here. Interim HC doesn’t have to be the next coordinator in line, it should be the person who demonstrates the competence to manage. Some coordinators, most really, are not that person.

exactly

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

No rash decisions will be made. 

Two weeks later, Pats destroy Jets 52-3: "JETS STAFF FIRED IN POST GAME LOCKER ROOM MEETING"

LOL. ****.

Belichick so smart might gift Bowles a win to keep a turd coach in division as long as possible 

Bowles is screwed. If he fires Bates, that’s his 100th OC change, and a bad look on him. He’s for sure isn’t gonna fire Rodgers. 

So he’s stuck. Only way out is it to change his philosophy and change starting line ups. 

So in other words. Why are we waiting with this? Let’s just move on. Nothing is gonna magically happen over the bye week. 

3 hours ago, southtown24th said:

How would you feel if you are TB?  Everyone wants you gone.  You know you're gone.  But they aren't going to fire you because...well...they have NO ONE ELSE TO COACH THE TEAM.  Oy vey.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Just the mere fact that Bowles has surrounded himself with inept assistant coaches tells you everything you need to know about the coaching staff this stiff assembled. Jets should still fire him so they can start making a list of who is available, who might be interested in developing Darnold, and who has the balls to come here & try to win in NY.

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

So the fact that Bowels has managed to put together the WORST coaching staff in the entire NFL is actually helping him maintain his job!!!!!!!!

That makes SENSE!!!

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

Firing a coach mid-season makes sense if you want to give somebody else on the coaching staff a test drive at a promotion or you feel very confident you will hire a better head coach in the following offseason. Otherwise blindly firing the head coach mid-season means you might end up stuck hiring a coach that is as bad or worse. You might as well just let the season finish tanking, take advantage of the high draft picks and quietly begin searching for a new head coach. If you think the team will dump both HC and GM then they really have to start searching out a new GM and ideally let him decide if he wants to promote any coach on the current staff or conduct an external search.

Hopefully Macc and Chris Johnson are at least talking to potential replacements for Bowles. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Once again more proof Todd Bowles is a moron there isn't 1 qualified person on his coaching staff to handle the head coaching duties. 

Todd Bowles has scarred this organization like no other. 

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

If we had legitimate potential interms like Gregg Williams then he would've been fired no doubt about it, but what are we gonna do? Put Bates or Kacy in charge? 

Bowles sucks ass but its not like there are any other people that can coach right now. Waiting for the end of the season is the only real option here. As much as it sucks, that's just reality.

Bowles purposefully surrounded himself with the most bottom barrel coaching staff the NFL has ever seen to protect himself from the ignominy of a mid-season firing. Johnsons being played like fiddles. I would literally fire Bowles and hire the local high school coach as interim in a made-for-TV move—the ultimate slap to Bowles’ face—just as a signal that this kind of bush league arse covering won’t be tolerated. He can’t be allowed to benefit from stuffing his staff with morons. It’s a huge middle finger to ownership. No respect if they let Bowles get away with it. None.

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Bowles purposefully surrounded himself with the most bottom barrel coaching staff the NFL has ever seen to protect himself from the ignominy of a mid-season firing. Johnsons being played like fiddles. I would literally fire Bowles and hire the local high school coach as interim in a made-for-TV move—the ultimate slap to Bowles’ face—just as a signal that this kind of bush league arse covering won’t be tolerated. He can’t be allowed to benefit from stuffing his staff with morons. It’s a huge middle finger to ownership. No respect if they let Bowles get away with it. None.

Well said and it's a big FU to the dedicated diehard most resilient fans in the NFL especially those who invested in PSL's and season tickets. 

Archived