Kotites 1996 teams didn't face any tomato cans

Jetster

The NY Jets 1996 team went 1-15. The only team they played that year with a record UNDER 500 was the Arizona Cardinals (Jets only win) who ended the season at 7-9. Believe me when I tell you that team never faced a 4th string QB or a rookie stepping off the bench cold in his 1st NFL game, or a QB like Osweiller moved 4 times in two years. While that 1996 season was long & ugly, the NFL as a whole was a much better & tougher game than we see every Sunday, Monday & Thursday. 

The Jets lost 41-10 to a team that was averaging 10 points per game & a QB in town for 11 days. I would venture to say if Rich Kotite had that scheduled in 1996 I'm pretty sure he'd have 2 wins. Even though I use Kotite as a barometer for what I'm seeing from Todd Bowles, I actually believe all things being equal, Kotite would take him head to head. I know that's not saying much but yesterdays loss goes down in history as truly one of the worst...Matt Barkley? Im still keep shaking my head!

Just now, Jetster said:

Numbers aren't numbers in the NFL, if they were they wouldn't base schedules on strength of schedule.

The problem I have with Kotite is that Parcells took that team THE NEXT YEAR to 9 wins. That screams it was all on Kotite. 

If a coach comes in and takes the Jets immediately to 9-10 wins then we can revisit this.

To me Bowles is Coslet. Had one good season and did nothing else of significance. 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The problem I have with Kotite is that Parcells took that team THE NEXT YEAR to 9 wins. That screams it was all on Kotite. 

If a coach comes in and takes the Jets immediately to 9-10 wins then we can revisit this.

To me Bowles is Coslet. Had one good season and did nothing else of significance. 

I don't know what your arguing? My point was that was a damn tough schedule Kotite had in 1996. I'm not defending his record I'm just saying he'd have probably beaten the Buffalo Bills playing with a guy they picked up 11 days ago. We weren't facing Marino, or Elway, our last 2 losses were to Brock Osweiller & Matt Barkley. 

Just now, Jetster said:

I don't know what your arguing? My point was that was a damn tough schedule Kotite had in 1996. I'm not defending his record I'm just saying he'd have probably beaten the Buffalo Bills playing with a guy they picked up 11 days ago. We weren't facing Marino, or Elway, our last 2 losses were to Brock Osweiller & Matt Barkley. 

I think the argument is that this team is worse than that team. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I think the argument is that this team is worse than that team. 

No, the argument is that Bowles is worse than Kotite, and that says a lot about the decision to hire him in the 1st place & makes it even worse he was given an extension.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I disagree with that. Bowles is just above Kotite. He's Coslet

So, after an exhaustive search, looking under every nook & cranny to take the Jets boldly forward, even consulting with the great Charley Casserly we found a guy just above Kotite, and extended him. 

Anytime the Jets face a QB that they haven’t prepared all week for they can’t adjust and get killed. We were beating Cleveland handily then Mayfield comes in and bam we stink up the place. Now this guy from Buffalo. Last season it happened twice I believe also. This shows me that Bowles is not a good coach. Another thing - didn’t we win 2 straight when KC Rogers was sick? Now since he’s been back we have not won. Now I know the defense hasn’t been the major problem every week but in games that were close our defense never made any big stops when we needed it. This is on Bowles. He’s kept KC. Bowles fired Morton. All because he wants his way. Well how is his way working?  

I remember Kotite's last team actually being somewhat interesting on offense.  Remember guys like Chrebet, Murrell, Richie Anderson, Keyshawn making plays.  Defensively they had Mo Lewis, Hugh Douglas, Aaron Glenn, Victor Green (all Pro Bowlers at some point in their careers), but were horrible as a unit.

57 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

I remember Kotite's last team actually being somewhat interesting on offense.  Remember guys like Chrebet, Murrell, Richie Anderson, Keyshawn making plays.  Defensively they had Mo Lewis, Hugh Douglas, Aaron Glenn, Victor Green (all Pro Bowlers at some point in their careers), but were horrible as a unit.

I remember Kotite putting in an undrafted rookie at left tackle against Bruce Smith, and Boomer almost got killed.

To be fair, that was 95.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

The NY Jets 1996 team went 1-15. The only team they played that year with a record UNDER 500 was the Arizona Cardinals (Jets only win) who ended the season at 7-9. Believe me when I tell you that team never faced a 4th string QB or a rookie stepping off the bench cold in his 1st NFL game, or a QB like Osweiller moved 4 times in two years. While that 1996 season was long & ugly, the NFL as a whole was a much better & tougher game than we see every Sunday, Monday & Thursday. 

The Jets lost 41-10 to a team that was averaging 10 points per game & a QB in town for 11 days. I would venture to say if Rich Kotite had that scheduled in 1996 I'm pretty sure he'd have 2 wins. Even though I use Kotite as a barometer for what I'm seeing from Todd Bowles, I actually believe all things being equal, Kotite would take him head to head. I know that's not saying much but yesterdays loss goes down in history as truly one of the worst...Matt Barkley? Im still keep shaking my head!

Why in Zord's name are we arguing over who was worse? Kotite and Bowles are both awful coaches, and it doesn't even matter if one was better than the other. Fresh dog poop vs. Old dog poop.

1 hour ago, jmat321 said:

All those players were on Kotites team? I gotta say he had double the talent this current team has. Maybe he couldn’t coach but he could draft. Fire Mac!

18 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Why in Zord's name are we arguing over who was worse? Kotite and Bowles are both awful coaches, and it doesn't even matter if one was better than the other. Fresh dog poop vs. Old dog poop.

The good news is that we're close to Thanksgiving.  Chris Johnson can give this motivational speech to the team:

“Let’s go out with dignity and show ’em we’re not horses’ asses.’’

TRUE: Flying Lawnmower Death

flyinglawn.jpg

Claim:   A spectator at a football game was killed by a flying model lawnmower.

Origins:   The halftime show provided for a crowd of 45,000 

fans attending the Jets-Patriots football game at Shea Stadium on 9 December 1979 was an exhibition staged by the Electronic Eagles of the Radio Control Association of Greater New York. The group’s model air show, a popular entertainment previously presented hundreds of times at halftimes and other events, featured radio-controlled airplanes that performed maneuvers around the stadium, engaged in aerial dogfights, and showcased flying model planes crafted in unusual shapes.

On this occasion, however, the exhibition did not go off without a hitch. Partway through the show a model plane crashed into the football field — a harbinger of tragedy to come, especially after the crowd began to grow concerned about how closely some of the aircraft were approaching to fans seated in the stands. As one spectator present later expressed his unease to the New York Times:

They were sending those things right over the crowds. I had an aisle seat near an exit, and I had it in my mind that if it came near me, I would run. It seemed so stupid, so sick, to send this thing over these people.

Shortly before the end of the 15-minute show, Philip Cushman, a Brooklyn auto collision repairman, lost control of the model 

aircraft he was guiding, a novel plane shaped like a lawnmower with a red reel and silver handle. The plane circled the stadium a few times, then abruptly nose-dived into the stands about five rows behind the Patriots’ bench on the third-base side of the stadium. As the lawnmower-shaped craft plummeted into the seats, it struck two spectators, 20-year-old John Bowen of Nashua, New Hampshire, and 25-year-old Kevin Rourke, of Lynn, Massachusetts.

Both men suffered serious head injuries from the incident. Kevin Rourke received emergency room treatment for a concussion and was admitted to a hospital for additional observation, while John Bowen, whom one observer at the scene described as looking “like he had been attacked by an ax,” underwent emergency surgery that evening. Although Rourke recovered satisfactorily and was eventually discharged from the hospital, Bowen died of his injuries four days later.

Police and prosecutors began an investigation when it became apparent that Bowen was unlikely to survive his injuries, but Queens district attorney John J. Santucci said authorities “had no reason to believe [the incident] was anything other than an accident,” and the matter was judged to be a civil issue rather than a criminal one.

3 hours ago, Nixhead said:

All those players were on Kotites team? I gotta say he had double the talent this current team has. Maybe he couldn’t coach but he could draft. Fire Mac!

Yeah - basically why parcells was 9-7 the following year, team was in good shape from a personnel standpoint

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

Actually the Giants were 6-10 and the Raiders were 7-9.  Still a tough schedule but there were other sub .500 teams.

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

I sat in giants stadium for every game that year.

kotites team would have beat this team......

kotites team kept letting you down, but they were scoring and in the game. It was not as boring as this to watch. Brutal, but not as boring. The todd bowles team just doesnt score and bores you with trailing scores to the bitter end.

unitedwho, you werent even alive back then probably

7 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I sat in giants stadium for every game that year.

kotites team would have beat this team......

kotites team kept letting you down, but they were scoring and in the game. It was not as boring as this to watch. Brutal, but not as boring. The todd bowles team just doesnt score and bores you with trailing scores to the bitter end.

unitedwho, you werent even alive back then probably

The ‘96 team had Hugh Douglas, Mo Lewis, Marvin Jones, Aaron Glenn, Victor Green, Keyshawn Johnson, Wayne Chrebet, Adrian Murrell and Neil O’Donnell

O’Donnel isn’t better than Sam but he’s way better than McClown.  The rest of those guys I named are all head and shoulders better than the crap we have now

I watched every game that season and even went to 2 games in person they never quit unlike this current jet team which might as well forfeit the remaining 6 games

Archived