Why is Macagnan escaping the purge?

Philc1

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Philc1 said:

His first 3 drafts totally sucked.  Free agent signings the results are mediocre at best. 

Sell me on why Mike Macagnan gets to pick his own coaching staff after getting 4 years to produce a bottom 3 roster

Very few people believe he should escape. This seem like a strawman setup to knock down. If he doesn't go then firing Bowles is pointless because the quality of candidates willing to come with a GM on the hotseat is going to be poor.

I don't think Mac will survive the purge. If they expect to land a quality GM at some point with Darnold at QB, they need to let that GM pick his coach. Leaving Mac twisting in the wind for one more year and firing Bowles this year just resets the cycle of stupidity.  Another poor year in 2019 and Mac will be let go and a new GM will be coming in without th ability to pick his coach.  Stupidity.  Rinse. Repeat.    

i think one of the reasons bowles hasn't been fired is b/c the johnsons don't know how much housecleaning they're going to do.  hopefully they're lining up someone who can serve as the consultant to preside over the whole thing.  i doubt parcells will want to be actively involved at this point.  i do like the cower idea of head of football ops.

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

I don't think he will.  If they expect to land a quality GM at some point with Darnold at QB, they need to let that GM pick his coach. Leaving Mac twisting in the wind for one more year and firing Bowles this year just resets the cycle of stupidity.  Another poor year in 2019 and Mac will be let go and a new GM will be coming in without th ability to pick his coach.  Stupidity.  Rinse. Repeat.    

Agreed. My worry,as it has always been, is that the Johnsons will **** up the process. Last time they actually did it the right way

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Very few people believe he should escape. This seem like a strawman setup to knock down. If he doesn't go then firing Bowles is pointless because the quality of candidates willing to come with a GM on the hotseat is going to be poor.

The Macagnan supporters are still there and still going strong.  Somehow a better coach would have us 10-0 with this garbage roster

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i think one of the reasons bowles hasn't been fired is b/c the johnsons don't know how much housecleaning they're going to do.  hopefully they're lining up someone who can serve as the consultant to preside over the whole thing.  i doubt parcells will want to be actively involved at this point.  i do like the cower idea of head of football ops.

I think Parcells wants nothing to do with the jets.  Hopefully he does I’d kill to have him back even in just an advisory role to hire a new GM

Just now, Philc1 said:

I think Parcells wants nothing to do with the jets.  Hopefully he does I’d kill to have him back even in just an advisory role to hire a new GM

point is if they fire the gm it will be b/c someone advised them it was the right thing to do.  if they don't fire the gm then mccags can hire his own coach like he should have been able to do 4 yrs ago.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think the tide is turning on him now. Bowles is gone, the question is is there a GM candidate that they think is better

HI @jeremy2020

Ughh anyone is better.. Mac and Bowles built this team together. If you give Mac another year or 2, a new gm may not want to keep the current HC.. Look what izdik tried to do.. after pretending to be on board with rex, he Gutted the roster for the next yr.. thinking the bad record 1 yr will be the. Excuse to fire rex, and the following yr he would have a boat load of cap space.. Instead that ended up being a parting gift for Mac

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Ughh anyone is better.. Mac and Bowles built this team together. If you give Mac another year or 2, a new gm may not want to keep the current HC.. Look what izdik tried to do.. after pretending to be on board with rex, he Gutted the roster for the next yr.. thinking the bad record 1 yr will be the. Excuse to fire rex, and the following yr he would have a boat load of cap space.. Instead that ended up being a parting gift for Mac

Although Idzik got fired the same way Ben McAdoo got fired. He looked like an idiot in front of the media.

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

His first 3 drafts totally sucked.  Free agent signings the results are mediocre at best. 

Sell me on why Mike Macagnan gets to pick his own coaching staff after getting 4 years to produce a bottom 3 roster

For me it comes down to 3 points:

1) I cannot tell if Mac's picks are horrid, or the CS is simply horrid at developing and utilizing talent

2) He wasn't allowed to pick his HC of choice and has/had no control to fire him

3) Although some here view this as lucky , he did make the move in the draft to land us a potential franchise QB.

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

1) I cannot tell if Mac's picks are horrid, or the CS is simply horrid at developing and utilizing talent

2) He wasn't allowed to pick his HC of choice and has/had no control to fire him

3) Although some here view this as lucky , he did make the move in the draft to land us a potential franchise QB.

The entire roster surrounding Sam sucks.  Mac built that roster he has to go

Just now, BigRy56 said:

He's escaping because he got us our QB. He could do a better job but he hasn't done a bad job and he'll always be the GM who traded up to land us Sam Darnold.

Hasn’t done a bad job?  We are 10-22 last 2 years and we are going 3-13 this year

Mike Macagnan is a joke.  I will be bumping this thread a year from now when even you guys can no longer deny it

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

i'll also give him that he hasn't screwed up a first round pick yet.  he also signed bridgewater and flipped him for a 3rd round pick.  

i think it's important for darnold to play out the rest of the season, not just for him but for herndon, mcguire, cannon, burnett and any other of the offensive guys he's brought here (leggett) b/c mccagnan needs to be evaluated on these guys and hiding them in favor of guys like kearse and crowell is a classic bowles copout move that doesn't help anyone keep their jobs.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Why can't you tell? The talent on the Browns is clear despite the horrendous job their HCs have done.

Name me one player on the Jets who you think is underachieving his talent because of the coaching?

Just now, Sonny Werblin said:

Why can't you tell? The talent on the Browns is clear despite the horrendous job their HCs have done.

Name me one player on the Jets who you think is underachieving his talent because of the coaching?

Hackenberg?

Archived