John Harbaugh

KRL

If the rumors are true that Harbaugh will be leaving BAL:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-john-harbaugh-headed-to-a-mutual-parting-of-ways-in-season-firing-not-discussed/

He would be the perfect solution for replacing both Maccagnan & Bowles.
After 11 years as HC you would think he would want to run the whole show
like Reid does in KC.  Harbaugh would come in as HC and bring in the GM
he wants to run the personnel side.  My biggest concern with Harbaugh would
be who he would bring in as OC and QB coach

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Hes a good head coach but only that. Not the right guy to develop Darnold. He's had like 8 different OCs. Not the right guy.

He’s only a good head coach?? Isn’t that what we’re looking for?! He’s had one losing season.

I get people want a flashy OC guy, but Harbaugh isn’t a guy you just pass over.    

Either Harbaugh is a no-brainer.   what's interesting about John is his choice of OC's.   we'll never know how these decisions are made but it seems like he's prone to failed retreads with limited creativity.   I would still take Harbaugh as HC but the lack of creativity on offense is concerning.    

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

Either Harbaugh is a no-brainer.   what's interesting about John is his choice of OC's.   we'll never know how these decisions are made but it seems like he's prone to failed retreads with limited creativity.   I would still take Harbaugh as HC but the lack of creativity on offense is concerning.    

You want Marty Morhningweig back?

1 hour ago, KRL said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ravens-john-harbaugh-headed-to-a-mutual-parting-of-ways-in-season-firing-not-discussed/

Wasn’t Caldwell his OC before getting the Lions job?

While I like John Harbaugh's ability to have his team ready to play a big game, he's still not the offensive mind I think we need here to get the maximum results out of Darnold.  I would lean towards a John DiFilippo or someone who's on the cutting edge of modern NFL offense here.

Also, as for Jim Harbaugh, he's a pretty good offensive mind and knows the QB position as well as anyone, but I worry about his tendency to rub players the wrong way.

11 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Can you name the last Head Coach that won a Super Bowl with 2 different organizations?

Can you name the last 19 year old coach to win a Super Bowl? The Rams seem to think their guy is going to do it this year. League is changing.

:)

This one is a bit confusing to me.  

His brand of winning (Defense/Adequate Offense) is being phased out, which is pretty much why he would be let go from Baltimore.  

Last 3 years, Baltimore has finished 21st (Jets were 25th), 24th (Jets 31st), 20th (Jets 14th) in offensive efficiency according to Football Outsiders.  

They are a great defensive team, ranked 3rd last year, but faced the easiest schedule ranking in the game last year.  They ranked 6th the year before, but had the 4th easiest schedule.  They ranked 20th the year before, while facing the 20th hardest schedule.

So how much of their defense now deals with getting to face easier schedules? In fact the Jets defense is ranked higher so far this year, while facing a tougher opponent.  

Not like they haven't invested in the defense:

Humprey, Bowser, Wormley, Williams were the first 4 picks last year, all on defense

Ronnie Stanley in 2016 - middle of the road OT but 6 overall good? Correra in the second round, traded to Titans for 6th this year.  

Perriman and Maxx Williams as the first two offensive picks in 2015?

He's a good coach, but there is also a reason why he would be let go in Baltimore.  Times have changed, and he can't compete.  He has one 9 win season in the last 4 years, and a total of 3 more wins than Todd Bowles since 2015.  

I want to believe, but I want a coach that can actually change with the time.  Harbaugh was a great coach, but he inherited an absolutely loaded defense, and developed Flacco.  I'd rather take my shot with another coach that has shown a better ability do develop the offense.  Harbaugh is a safe choice, but so was Bowles.  

19 minutes ago, win4ever said:

This one is a bit confusing to me.  

His brand of winning (Defense/Adequate Offense) is being phased out, which is pretty much why he would be let go from Baltimore.  

Last 3 years, Baltimore has finished 21st (Jets were 25th), 24th (Jets 31st), 20th (Jets 14th) in offensive efficiency according to Football Outsiders.  

They are a great defensive team, ranked 3rd last year, but faced the easiest schedule ranking in the game last year.  They ranked 6th the year before, but had the 4th easiest schedule.  They ranked 20th the year before, while facing the 20th hardest schedule.

So how much of their defense now deals with getting to face easier schedules? In fact the Jets defense is ranked higher so far this year, while facing a tougher opponent.  

Not like they haven't invested in the defense:

Humprey, Bowser, Wormley, Williams were the first 4 picks last year, all on defense

Ronnie Stanley in 2016 - middle of the road OT but 6 overall good? Correra in the second round, traded to Titans for 6th this year.  

Perriman and Maxx Williams as the first two offensive picks in 2015?

He's a good coach, but there is also a reason why he would be let go in Baltimore.  Times have changed, and he can't compete.  He has one 9 win season in the last 4 years, and a total of 3 more wins than Todd Bowles since 2015.  

I want to believe, but I want a coach that can actually change with the time.  Harbaugh was a great coach, but he inherited an absolutely loaded defense, and developed Flacco.  I'd rather take my shot with another coach that has shown a better ability do develop the offense.  Harbaugh is a safe choice, but so was Bowles.  

You live in Tennessee. What do you think about Matt LaFleur? I’ve been asking opinions on him from a few around here on him. I’m starting to warm up to the idea. I know @JiF likes him as a candidate. Does he have a comfortable amount of experience as OC? That’s my one and only turn off with a guy like John DeFilippo.

8 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You live in Tennessee. What do you think about Matt LaFleur? I’ve been asking opinions on him from a few around here on him. I’m starting to warm up to the idea. I know @JiF likes him as a candidate. Does he have a comfortable amount of experience as OC? That’s my one and only turn off with a guy like John DeFilippo.

I'm going to write about the Titans game vs the Pats tomorrow, but I like him.  It's a bit hard to decipher right now mainly for a few reasons:

1.  They lost Delanie Walker in the first game, which is a big blow to the plans.  They signed him to an extension, prior to the season, because he's their best receiver and a TE is massively important in RPO offenses.  

2.  Mariota got hurt in the first game as well, and it was an injury to his throwing hand.  He couldn't feel his hand well, and they started Blaine Gabbert.  Mariota is back healthy now, and he looked much better lately.  

3.  The offensive weapons aren't any better than the Jets.  They have Corey Davis, who is a No. 2 receiver forced to be No. 1.  Tajae Sharpe is a 3/4 type, so is Taylor.  The TEs are pretty much like the Jets behind Herndon, slow and methodical, more known for blocking.  Henry has been terrible this year, but Lewis is a monster with missed tackles.  

It's hard for me to say right now, but I'll be writing about them every week (at least the passing offense).  My initial reaction is yes, I think he's a fine coach.  In the article when he was hired, I mentioned that the tree relies on an over the top speed guy to set the offense and the Titans lack that.  Shanhan bought in Taylor Gabriel in Atlanta, and then Goodwin in SF.  McVay bought in Watkins, and then Cooks this year.  Titans didn't, but the Jets should be able to bring back Anderson, which would fit the offense better.  I did notice that for 2 weeks, Mariota really stayed away from throwing to his right side, which made me think the injury was bigger hindrance than they let on.  Given the lack of talent around him (the OL hasn't been great either, as they are transitioning to a zone blocking scheme) I think LaFleur has done an admirable job.  However, Vrabel also has instilled a very aggressive approach to coaching.  

http://anatomyoftitans.com/

I write the film reviews, although I didn't do it for the Cowboys one because I was recovering from a bad cold.  I'll write one for the Pats match up this week.  It wouldn't be a bad hire for sure.  If Mariota/offense improves more this year, it'd be a great hire.  Besides Dion Lewis, that offense is similarly talented to the Jets but the stats are off.  I think two Gabbert games, a Miami game in a rain storm (it was delayed twice, ended up being like 8 hours long) and then Mariota's injury has limited the stats.  I blamed them for the lack of aggression in the Chargers one, but I think a major part is the injury to the throwing arm.  

9 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I'm going to write about the Titans game vs the Pats tomorrow, but I like him.  It's a bit hard to decipher right now mainly for a few reasons:

1.  They lost Delanie Walker in the first game, which is a big blow to the plans.  They signed him to an extension, prior to the season, because he's their best receiver and a TE is massively important in RPO offenses.  

2.  Mariota got hurt in the first game as well, and it was an injury to his throwing hand.  He couldn't feel his hand well, and they started Blaine Gabbert.  Mariota is back healthy now, and he looked much better lately.  

3.  The offensive weapons aren't any better than the Jets.  They have Corey Davis, who is a No. 2 receiver forced to be No. 1.  Tajae Sharpe is a 3/4 type, so is Taylor.  The TEs are pretty much like the Jets behind Herndon, slow and methodical, more known for blocking.  Henry has been terrible this year, but Lewis is a monster with missed tackles.  

It's hard for me to say right now, but I'll be writing about them every week (at least the passing offense).  My initial reaction is yes, I think he's a fine coach.  In the article when he was hired, I mentioned that the tree relies on an over the top speed guy to set the offense and the Titans lack that.  Shanhan bought in Taylor Gabriel in Atlanta, and then Goodwin in SF.  McVay bought in Watkins, and then Cooks this year.  Titans didn't, but the Jets should be able to bring back Anderson, which would fit the offense better.  I did notice that for 2 weeks, Mariota really stayed away from throwing to his right side, which made me think the injury was bigger hindrance than they let on.  Given the lack of talent around him (the OL hasn't been great either, as they are transitioning to a zone blocking scheme) I think LaFleur has done an admirable job.  However, Vrabel also has instilled a very aggressive approach to coaching.  

http://anatomyoftitans.com/

I write the film reviews, although I didn't do it for the Cowboys one because I was recovering from a bad cold.  I'll write one for the Pats match up this week.  It wouldn't be a bad hire for sure.  If Mariota/offense improves more this year, it'd be a great hire.  Besides Dion Lewis, that offense is similarly talented to the Jets but the stats are off.  I think two Gabbert games, a Miami game in a rain storm (it was delayed twice, ended up being like 8 hours long) and then Mariota's injury has limited the stats.  I blamed them for the lack of aggression in the Chargers one, but I think a major part is the injury to the throwing arm.  

Awesome response. Thank you. I’m really starting to warm up to the idea. I’m wondering who we will bring in to QB coach because that’s going to be very important too. Getting Tyrell Williams and Le’Veon Bell would really really give a new Offensive mind some weapons to get creative with. I’m fearing Bell will stay away from us though even if we do shell out huge money. But we definitely can give a offensive minded guy plenty to work with if we spend well next FA and I think we definitely will.

8 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

He’s only a good head coach?? Isn’t that what we’re looking for?! He’s had one losing season.

I get people want a flashy OC guy, but Harbaugh isn’t a guy you just pass over.    

i'm thinking harbaugh has enough stature to get this team's attention right from the start.  that's what the jets need to get back to being respectable in the shortest time.

7 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Can you name the last Head Coach that won a Super Bowl with 2 different organizations?

does being a player or assistant coach count?  i can't think of any head coaches who have won as head coaches with two different organizations.   weeb come close because he won an nfl championship before sb III.  vermeil was in the sb as hc of the eagles before winning with the rams.

Gotta disagree. Obviously can’t say he’s a bad head coach since he has a good resume including a championship with aging superstars, but I’m looking for a guy who can either:

a) move the needle all by himself like a Belichick or Reid

or 

b) spearhead the development of Sam even if they haven’t proven themselves as a HC; like a Kyle Shannahan or Sean McVay

John Harbaugh is unfortunately neither.

8 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

While I like John Harbaugh's ability to have his team ready to play a big game, he's still not the offensive mind I think we need here to get the maximum results out of Darnold.  I would lean towards a John DiFilippo or someone who's on the cutting edge of modern NFL offense here.

Also, as for Jim Harbaugh, he's a pretty good offensive mind and knows the QB position as well as anyone, but I worry about his tendency to rub players the wrong way.

Jim Harbaugh is kinda like Billy Martin, Buck Showalter or John Torterella; he's gonna straighten things out very quickly. But after that the players are going to get tired of the browbeating, He has a limited shelf life, which is why college still makes more sense with a 4 year turnover. Now if you made him the GM/coach with a personnel guy, might be a different story if he could modify his behavior. Still way better than what is here right now. 

9 hours ago, KRL said:

We truly need a coach Like Harbaugh. No more no frills coordinators. We need someone with previous and proven HC experience. 

Archived