Ralph Vacchiano "While Jets' Todd Bowles is on hot seat, sources suggest Mike Maccagnan is safe"

Jetsbb

Just now, bitonti said:

Jets fans seem to forget or not realize that this team makes money win or lose

in fact, losing might be more profitable than winning 

why would they fire Mac or Bowles, when firing these people requires a buy out AND a replacement 

to the Johnsons that would be like paying for two stool butlers when a human posterior really only needs one wiper.  To pay Bowles to NOT coach? That's absurd. 

Well yeah, that's kinda the whole problem.

The Jets are the Mets and vice versa, they just want your money, winning is secondary.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I like this give Mac one year with a new coach, hire the coach with the impression they are both on the hot seat together if mac and new coach don't pan out than year down for the complete rebuild.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

lol

what coach worth anything would sign up for that

this loser franchise has been treading water for 50 years, lets just keep doing the same thing

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If they're going to keep around Maccagnan you might as well keep Bowles for another year.  In no situation is keeping Maccagnan acceptable.  With Bowles gone but Macc still around, that means he either gets to pick the next HC, or the owners pick the HC for him.  And whichever one of those scenarios they choose will mean another 3+ year disaster. 

I don’t care if Bowles is fired or not unless Mac goes with him. It’s a package deal. I love how Rex laid into Mac hard yesterday and we need the media to speak up. Hopefully Woody still loves Rex and heard that it values his opinion. Mac has to go or it’s all for nothing. 

10 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

Why do all the awful reporters who cover this joke of a franchise act like Mac was given the job last year?

How do his first three years of nothingness somehow suddenly contribute to this building a winner by 2019 narrative?

The Jets are really really dumb, the media might be even worse.

He’s starting to get heat on radio and TV. We need to shift our focus to Mac since clearly he media reads this stuff. 

10 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I like this give Mac one year with a new coach, hire the coach with the impression they are both on the hot seat together if mac and new coach don't pan out than year down for the complete rebuild.

How on earth do you like this? Then after one year we fire people AGAIN and look like a complete train wreck. That will ensure that no one will come here. Why the hell are you so in love with a failure like Mac who is responsible for help ruining this team?

You want to ruin any credibility that we may have built up after sticking with these idiots for 4 years and talk a pointless half measure that COMPLETELY ruins any chance at long term success and ability to attract candidates? You have to be kidding.

Please explain because I’m baffled by this great “1 year or bust” plan that will lead to rash decisions, wreckless spending and ensure that NO GOOD CANDIDATES will want a job here with such a short leash. You are setting the new coach up for complete failure much like this HORRIBLE idea. 

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And its absurd to think that will be the case next season.  We have a makeshift offensive line, no WR1, no pass rusher and only 1 decent corner (Claiborne).  Even that $100 million in cap space won't fix all those holes. 

And even if we do sign players at all those spots, you can't build a competitive team off of mercenaries.  It's never worked in the history of the NFL.  You can supplement what you have with free agents.  But you can't use free agency on a bunch of premium positions at once and ever expect it to work.  Not only because of the respective attitudes of the players coming in, but also because other teams out there saw fit to let them walk for a reason.  Hence why we ended up with Trumaine Johnson this past offseason. 

yep.  and the whole point is mac was feeding in the players that bowles wanted.  this is bowles team.  if he didn't pick the players directly he at least influenced what types of players he wanted.  it's doubtful he was looking too hard for oline.

agree too on the free agents.  i remember a few season s ago when the redskins went out and brought in a whole bunch of high priced free agents.  how'd that work out?  not very well.  and even in 2015 when they brought in revis, cro, marshall etc.  that worked for a season.  i'm surprised they got that much.  trumaine johnson?  they don't have an out for about two more seasons with that guy.

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

why would they fire Mac or Bowles, when firing these people requires a buy out AND a replacement 

To pay Bowles to NOT coach? That's absurd. Winning is hard and expensive. It's way easier to just sit there and let the TV money roll in. 

to pay for a coach not to coach the Johnsons that would be like paying for two stool butlers when a human posterior really only needs one.  If anyone knows how to manage a household of servants without going broke, it's the Johnsons. 

what’s a stool butler

8 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

Well yeah, that's kinda the whole problem.

The Jets are the Mets and vice versa, they just want your money, winning is secondary.

the Mets actually spend though. MLB has revenue sharing and the Mets aren't one of those teams.  Their operation in a big market disqualifies them from the free money

meanwhile, the Jets operate like an MLB team in Wisconsin.  They don't spend on players or coaches, the league gives revenue sharing, win lose or draw, the league brings them bags of cash to just keep the lights on and take brutal losses. and somehow the Jets are the 8th most valuable franchise in the NFL, despite being about the 27th best team. 

nice work if you can get it. 

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

To pay Bowles to NOT coach? That's absurd. Winning is hard and expensive. It's way easier to just sit there and let the TV money roll in. 

to pay for a coach not to coach the Johnsons that would be like paying for two stool butlers when a human posterior really only needs one.  If anyone knows how to manage a household of servants without going broke, it's the Johnsons. 

This is honestly why we KNOW he Johnson’s don’t care. Revenue sharing and being next to NYC, where every team in the NFL opposing fans, ensures ticket sales.

Who wouldn’t want to see their team once every few years against an easy matchup like the Jets? They do not care because they still make money and that’s honestly all that they care about. 

I agree completely. If this becomes anymore obvious and they put any less effort in the product, they will surely lose fans and rightfully so. 

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

yep.  and the whole point is mac was feeding in the players that bowles wanted.  this is bowles team.  if he didn't pick the players directly he at least influenced what types of players he wanted.  it's doubtful he was looking too hard for oline.

agree too on the free agents.  i remember a few season s ago when the redskins went out and brought in a whole bunch of high priced free agents.  how'd that work out?  not very well.  and even in 2015 when they brought in revis, cro, marshall etc.  that worked for a season.  i'm surprised they got that much.  trumaine johnson?  they don't have an out for about two more seasons with that guy. 

And it really didn't work.  We didn't make the playoffs, AND it set us backwards.  A perfect storm of suck.  But Macc got Executive of the Year and that's all the Johnson's needed to keep him around for half a decade. 

So trading up from 6 to 3 for a QB starved team in a QB rich class was incredibly bold? Because the actual pick seems to have been what every other NFL teAm/GM/FO would have done. And who knows if that was even the right move yet given the other QBs still on the board. 

So a move that nobody knows has actually worked yet keeps a guy who basically batting 200 with a couple bloop singles and a double in 4 years as an nfl GM ?

7 hours ago, PS17 said:

Darnold is playing like sh*t.

Of course he is.  In his last 5 games they haven't put a center out there who can get the ball to him.  15 bad snaps against the Fins.  15

I can't recall seeing that in an NFL game before.  Montana would be playing like crap with 15 bad snaps.

McCown didn't have the bad snaps and he also looked like crap. The O might be the worst in the league

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I was hoping it was poop-related.

Woody Johnson is qualified to evaluate butlers. He has decades of experience and remembers when his father taught him the right way to scold a butler. So that he is shamed but not vengeful. It's a fine line.

His first name is Smathers by the way.  Woody's Butler. And he says things like "Yes sir... quite." while woody drones on about things. 

Just now, flgreen said:

Of course he is.  In his last 5 games they haven't put a center out there who can get the ball to him.  15 bad snaps against the Fins.  15

I can't recall seeing that in an NFL game before.  Montana would be playing like crap with 15 bad snaps.

McCown didn't have the bad snaps and he also looked like crap. The O might be the worst in the league

There were more expensive centers out there like Ryan Jensen and Weston Richberg. The Jets wanted someone cheap so they hired Long, who is known as injury prone.  

Do people really think Mac and Bowles were rooting for the cheap option? This team is built the way woody budgeted for it to be built. 

all that being said 15 bad snaps doesn't explain 4 interceptions. That's the most Jets fan thing ever to excuse the interceptions because of the snaps. Both were bad, but Darnold could have just fallen on the football or thrown it out of bounds.   Taking a bad situation and making it worse is on Darnold. 

8 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

So excited for the thread debates in a year about whether to clean house and fire Mac's hand-picked HC along with him, or to give the new HC at least three more years with a real rebuild and a real GM picking our drafts, while, at the same time, limiting ourselves in finding that quality GM hire by handcuffing him to an incumbent HC that he didn't pick... yet again. Then in 4 years after that...

"Well, HC (insert failed name here) is certainly a problem, but I'd like withhold judgement on GM (insert potentially failed GM name here) until we see him with his own yadda yadda bullsh*t

That, my children is called "The Cycle of Failure and Managerial Ineptitude" Ain't life fascinating?

A big issue is the ability to attract a top coach with a GM who may be fired in one year.  If the plan is to keep Macc then he has to get a commitment of 3-4 years with the next coach.  Are we ready to do that?

How on earth do you like this? Then after one year we fire people AGAIN and look like a complete train wreck. That will ensure that no one will come here. Why the hell are you so in love with a failure like Mac who is responsible for help ruining this team?
You want to ruin any credibility that we may have built up after sticking with these idiots for 4 years and talk a pointless half measure that COMPLETELY ruins any chance at long term success and ability to attract candidates? You have to be kidding.
Please explain because I’m baffled by this great “1 year or bust” plan that will lead to rash decisions, wreckless spending and ensure that NO GOOD CANDIDATES will want a job here with such a short leash. You are setting the new coach up for complete failure much like this HORRIBLE idea. 
I remember the guys who came before him. I believe we have talent on this team and that our coaching staff is killing it, I would like a year to be either proven wrong or right but I would hate to see us lose Mac just to find out these guys he took that are still on the team are pretty good.

9 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/while-jets-todd-bowles-is-on-hot-seat-sources-suggest-mike-maccagnan-is-safe/300594584

Ralph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

Todd Bowles is on the hot seat with the Jets. Mike Maccagnan is not.

That may not seem fair, considering they came to New York together in 2015 and have had equal hands in this Jets mess ever since, but that's the way it appears to be, according to several sources familiar with the Jets' thinking. Bowles seems to be on the fast track to being fired after the season while Maccagnan's job doesn't appear to be in danger at all.

And the reason is simple: Maccagnan's job is to build for the long term, and his long-stated plan has been to compete for a playoff berth in 2019. All his moves -- including moving up in the draft to land the Jets their franchise quarterback -- have been with that goal in mind. And part of that plan was to capitalize on the $100 million-plus in salary cap space he created for them to use next offseason.

So his job isn't finished yet. And the Jets seem intent on allowing him to stay to see at least that part through.

Meanwhile, Bowles' job has been to win and to develop his team: Two things he hasn't been able to do since he started 10-5 in his first season. His record is 13-30 since then, including the horrific 41-10 loss at home to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday. It's hard to argue growth, development and progress after a game like that, especially when the team has now lost four in a row.

That's not to say that Maccagnan is completely off the hook for this latest Jets disaster. It's lost on no one that he's the one who picked the players that are currently failing Bowles. His drafting has been suspect. Only 12 of 22 players from his first three drafts even remain with the organization. And despite all the money he had to spend in free agency last offseason, he didn't find any receivers for rookie quarterback Sam Darnold and couldn't fix the offensive line.

But he did land Darnold, and that's the biggest part of his future plan. Once he struck out on free agent Kirk Cousins, who took less money to sign with the Minnesota Vikings, he traded three second-round picks to move up three spots in the NFL draft. Maccagnan thought he was moving up to land Baker Mayfield, according to an NFL source, but he ended up with Darnold, the top quarterback on his board.

Christopher Johnson, the Jets' CEO, was thrilled with that bold move and has been enamored with the early returns from Darnold. At the very least, Maccagnan will be given time to see how Darnold will work out. He might face a playoffs-or-else ultimatum next season, but that could be more than Bowles will get.

The disaster on Sunday may have sealed that. Because before that, the biggest thing he had going for him was that his players seemed to love him and played hard for him, especially on defense. The game on Sunday was a major step back in that regard.

So that will leave Johnson to ponder whether Bowles has lost his grip on his players. And perhaps more importantly, he needs to decide if he's the right coach to shepherd Darnold in the early stages of his career, or if the Jets would be better off with a young, offensive-minded coach in what has become an increasingly offensive league.

No, he hasn't exactly been dealt a stacked deck of players and Maccagnan is responsible for that. But the Jets so far seem comfortable with his long-term plan and vision. The fates of Bowles and Maccagnan are not intertwined. They may have come in together nearly four years ago, but if changes are made, Bowles will likely be the first to go.

I repeat.  We are doomed.  I am sick ad tired of mismanaged NY franchises.  Really

ownership does not care one bit about the fans-most would dream of  owning a team-woody had such little interest he walked away to be ambassador .... his brother another guy having something handed to him could care less as well. My family has had season tickets since the mid 60s when it all began. I bought psls and have attended over 300 games in person including road trips and playoff games on the road. This is my last year. I am walking away from my psls-I know nobody will buy them -maybe I can sell for a $1 and write them off as a loss-will have to talk to my accountant about that. The jets ownership is the problem-always has been always will be. In business, if you are hired to do a job and fail at it you are fired, not given more time especially when over time the regression continues.

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

There were more expensive centers out there like Ryan Jensen and Weston Richberg. The Jets wanted someone cheap so they hired Long, who is known as injury prone.  

Do people really think Mac and Bowles were rooting for the cheap option? This team is built the way woody budgeted for it to be built. 

all that being said 15 bad snaps doesn't explain 4 interceptions. That's the most Jets fan thing ever to excuse the interceptions because of the snaps. Both were bad, but Darnold could have just fallen on the football or thrown it out of bounds.   Taking a bad situation and making it worse is on Darnold. 

The bad snap certainly contributed to the picks.  In over half his passes Darnold was taken off his mark by the errant snap.  He was losing 2 or so seconds of watching the coverage develop because he was trying to get the ball under control.  Instead of having 3 seconds to throw he had 1.  The timing of play was destroyed, he couldn't see where the safety's were.  YES, the bad snaps caused the picks.

LOL your complaining about Jets fans talking about bad snaps, while playing with Woody's stool? :)

As  long as fans support current ownership by  going to games and spending money on overinflated food and drinks and fan gear nothing will change. I will show my displeasure with my wallet. I can take the family on a nice vacation every year with my savings of my ticket money each year. I am sure the vacation  is better for my sanity than this team will ever be. Those that are new to game expecting things to be different, I admire your courage as you will be in for years of torment and heartbreak

53 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

why not just change both in the off season?  why surrender a year?  Macc has not earned it.

54 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Seriously?  You think any coach worth a damn is coming here with the impression he is on the hot seat in year one?   

Firing Bowles and keeping Maccagnan is quite literally the single dumbest decision the Jets could ever possibly make in the midst of all this.  I would actually prefer them to keep both than do that nonsense (which should really tell you something).  That would also be an idiotic decision mind you, but at least that way our suffering would only last for one more year when they would both be undoubtedly sent packing together next season, as opposed to the endless years of this mind-numbingly stupid back and forth nonsense this team has already seen first hand quite recently is a recipe for disaster.

9 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/while-jets-todd-bowles-is-on-hot-seat-sources-suggest-mike-maccagnan-is-safe/300594584

Ralph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

Todd Bowles is on the hot seat with the Jets. Mike Maccagnan is not.

That may not seem fair, considering they came to New York together in 2015 and have had equal hands in this Jets mess ever since, but that's the way it appears to be, according to several sources familiar with the Jets' thinking. Bowles seems to be on the fast track to being fired after the season while Maccagnan's job doesn't appear to be in danger at all.

And the reason is simple: Maccagnan's job is to build for the long term, and his long-stated plan has been to compete for a playoff berth in 2019. All his moves -- including moving up in the draft to land the Jets their franchise quarterback -- have been with that goal in mind. And part of that plan was to capitalize on the $100 million-plus in salary cap space he created for them to use next offseason.

So his job isn't finished yet. And the Jets seem intent on allowing him to stay to see at least that part through.

Meanwhile, Bowles' job has been to win and to develop his team: Two things he hasn't been able to do since he started 10-5 in his first season. His record is 13-30 since then, including the horrific 41-10 loss at home to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday. It's hard to argue growth, development and progress after a game like that, especially when the team has now lost four in a row.

That's not to say that Maccagnan is completely off the hook for this latest Jets disaster. It's lost on no one that he's the one who picked the players that are currently failing Bowles. His drafting has been suspect. Only 12 of 22 players from his first three drafts even remain with the organization. And despite all the money he had to spend in free agency last offseason, he didn't find any receivers for rookie quarterback Sam Darnold and couldn't fix the offensive line.

But he did land Darnold, and that's the biggest part of his future plan. Once he struck out on free agent Kirk Cousins, who took less money to sign with the Minnesota Vikings, he traded three second-round picks to move up three spots in the NFL draft. Maccagnan thought he was moving up to land Baker Mayfield, according to an NFL source, but he ended up with Darnold, the top quarterback on his board.

Christopher Johnson, the Jets' CEO, was thrilled with that bold move and has been enamored with the early returns from Darnold. At the very least, Maccagnan will be given time to see how Darnold will work out. He might face a playoffs-or-else ultimatum next season, but that could be more than Bowles will get.

The disaster on Sunday may have sealed that. Because before that, the biggest thing he had going for him was that his players seemed to love him and played hard for him, especially on defense. The game on Sunday was a major step back in that regard.

So that will leave Johnson to ponder whether Bowles has lost his grip on his players. And perhaps more importantly, he needs to decide if he's the right coach to shepherd Darnold in the early stages of his career, or if the Jets would be better off with a young, offensive-minded coach in what has become an increasingly offensive league.

No, he hasn't exactly been dealt a stacked deck of players and Maccagnan is responsible for that. But the Jets so far seem comfortable with his long-term plan and vision. The fates of Bowles and Maccagnan are not intertwined. They may have come in together nearly four years ago, but if changes are made, Bowles will likely be the first to go.

yes. the Jets certainly are positioned well for a playoff run next year. :(

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  It's the worst possible mentality. 

It's like giving a ferrari to a teenager who has had his license suspended twice and being like "Certainly he won't mess things up this time."

There’s no excuse for this. This is billion dollar franchise. What kind of CEO would run a company like this? I’m dumb founded at the stupidity. 

Archived