Ralph Vacchiano "While Jets' Todd Bowles is on hot seat, sources suggest Mike Maccagnan is safe"

Jetsbb

20 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I remember the guys who came before him. I believe we have talent on this team and that our coaching staff is killing it, I would like a year to be either proven wrong or right but I would hate to see us lose Mac just to find out these guys he took that are still on the team are pretty good.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Do you not see how that wouldn’t work? It’s not what you like it’s what makes sense. If you like Mac, he’d have to stay here for more than 1 year and be extended so a coach would at least come here in the first place and not worry about it being blown up after 1 year like you said. 

Even if you did that, Mac is taking a lot of heat and no good coach will come here at all if he is still GM. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yep.  and the whole point is mac was feeding in the players that bowles wanted.  this is bowles team.  if he didn't pick the players directly he at least influenced what types of players he wanted.  it's doubtful he was looking too hard for oline.

agree too on the free agents.  i remember a few season s ago when the redskins went out and brought in a whole bunch of high priced free agents.  how'd that work out?  not very well.  and even in 2015 when they brought in revis, cro, marshall etc.  that worked for a season.  i'm surprised they got that much.  trumaine johnson?  they don't have an out for about two more seasons with that guy.

Agree 100% with the second part of your commnet, but if the first paragraph is correct -- that Mac ignored OL becuase Bowles wanted to build defense, then he is too weak to be an effective GM and should be shown the door. 

This is his team and Bowles' team.  They built it together, likely around a common vision.  If they disagreed on that vision, than Macc should have fought harder to build a better balanced team.

Only the Jets try to sell this team with that GM to a potential Head Coach.  

"Hey look Mr. future Head Coach, check out how Mac built a loaded roster for Todd, come on over an benefit from fruits of his labor!"

////Chris Johnson prepares for a line out the door, check his cell phone to see if he has the wrong day when nobody shows up

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agree 100% with the second part of your commnet, but if the first paragraph is correct -- that Mac ignored OL becuase Bowles wanted to build defense, then he is too weak to be an effective GM and should be shown the door. 

This is his team and Bowles' team.  They built it together, likely around a common vision.  If they disagreed on that vision, than Macc should have fought harder to build a better balanced team.

That is the point that many are missing here. The perception that Bowles" isn't Macc's coach, he was forced on him" doesn't hold water. If we all recall , Bowles was hired before the GM was in place. If Macc didn't want him as the coach, didn't think they would mesh, he could have said no to the job. Pretty simple.

47 minutes ago, bitonti said:

all that being said 15 bad snaps doesn't explain 4 interceptions. That's the most Jets fan thing ever to excuse the interceptions because of the snaps. Both were bad, but Darnold could have just fallen on the football or thrown it out of bounds.   Taking a bad situation and making it worse is on Darnold. 

And only a fool would think they dont contribute to compounding them with a bad decision...

I am by no means a Bolwes apologist, but one can make the argument that Mac has actually done a worse job than Bowles.  This roster is in shambles with no depth after 4 drafts and don't have solid footing at any one position except maybe for safety and QB.  I'm not a team building expert but I do know that in year 4 of a rebuild there should be some signs of growth and progress as a team.  You can literally make the argument that the Jets have gone BACKWARDS each year of Mac's tenure, even with a potential franchise QB in tow.  He's been a failure as a GM and has given Bowles 4 years of marginal players to work with.  The Jets need to clean house.  Hopefully ownership will come around and see this and make the right decision.  They are rebranding the team in 2019.  New uniforms, new marketing campaign,  a young franchise type QB, and hopefully a new GM and coach to lead the charge.  

"......sources suggest Mike Maccagnan is safe"

This is sickening.  This GM has been an atrocious drafter.  He is a primary reason why this team has gone nowhere in the last 4 years.  It just shows you how stupid the Jets ownership truly is.  I honestly think that Woody johnson and his brother are mentally defective

17 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

There’s no excuse for this. This is billion dollar franchise. What kind of CEO would run a company like this? I’m dumb founded at the stupidity. 

This is the problem when your owners never really owned or built anything by themselves. They have no idea how to run anything.

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yep, agreed.  Honestly, Im at the point of if you're keeping 1, keep them both.  Stupid not to fire them at the same time.  I mean we've literally watched this happens in both ways and fail.  Tanny kept for Rex, Rex kept for Izdick, Mac didnt pick Todd..

It's honestly amazing that this level of incompetence fills that f'ing building with all those bumbling morons.  The lot of them.  They're all a bunch of idiots from top to bottom.  It's unreal that by just natural osmosis of being in and around Football, that nobody in the Johnson's camp has a single grasp on how to run this stupid F'ing franchise.  

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

what i see is mac's original time table was to compete in 2019.  i guess if they launch bowles it gets pushed of another year or two?  it's kind of ridiculous and i can only mac is plenty upset the way this team has been playing even with darnold at qb. and mccown starting kind of proved the problem is with every player besides darnold.  that's a good thing.

Does anyone else find it completely absurd that he gave a 5 year target to compete for playoffs? How incompetent could ownership be to think this is even remotely acceptable?

Holy mother of God. I hear that he's targeting 2035 to be competing for a championship. Rebuilding takes time fellas, have patience.

?

28 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Firing Bowles and keeping Maccagnan is quite literally the single dumbest decision the Jets could ever possibly make in the midst of all this.  I would actually prefer them to keep both than do that nonsense (which should really tell you something).  That would also be an idiotic decision mind you, but at least that way our suffering would only last for one more year when they would both be undoubtedly sent packing together next season, as opposed to the endless years of this mind-numbingly stupid back and forth nonsense this team has already seen first hand quite recently is a recipe for disaster.

+1.  Couldn't have said it better.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yep, agreed.  Honestly, Im at the point of if you're keeping 1, keep them both.  Stupid not to fire them at the same time.  I mean we've literally watched this happens in both ways and fail.  Tanny kept for Rex, Rex kept for Izdick, Mac didnt pick Todd..

It's honestly amazing that this level of incompetence fills that f'ing building with all those bumbling morons.  The lot of them.  They're all a bunch of idiots from top to bottom.  It's unreal that by just natural osmosis of being in and around Football, that nobody in the Johnson's camp has a single grasp on how to run this stupid F'ing franchise.  

Yup.  Just so damn frustrating.  Assuming Vacchiano's report is correct, they are heading down the same exact path that has not worked, multiple times in the past.  The idea of giving Macc one more year but firing Bowles now is the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  I just don't get the logic.

As much as I would hate to see Bowles back next year, I agree with you.  Instead of firing one and keeping one, keep both, give them a  playoff mandate for next year.  No playoffs, both are gone.  Although I still prefer sending both packing at the end of the season.

5 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I am by no means a Bolwes apologist, but one can make the argument that Mac has actually done a worse job than Bowles.  This roster is in shambles with no depth after 4 drafts and don't have solid footing at any one position except maybe for safety and QB.  I'm not a team building expert but I do know that in year 4 of a rebuild there should be some signs of growth and progress as a team.  You can literally make the argument that the Jets have gone BACKWARDS each year of Mac's tenure, even with a potential franchise QB in tow.  He's been a failure as a GM and has given Bowles 4 years of marginal players to work with.  The Jets need to clean house.  Hopefully ownership will come around and see this and make the right decision.  They are rebranding the team in 2019.  New uniforms, new marketing campaign,  a young franchise type QB, and hopefully a new GM and coach to lead the charge.  

In a sense, it's kind of like having to choose between taking the Titanic or the Hindenburg on your vacation, but I tend to agree with you. Put it another way.....if both are let go, who will get another job quicker in the NFL? I think the answer is pretty easy...Bowles.

Wow! Continue to dump shît all over the fans.

The problem we have are NFL teams don’t have to win to make money due to to TV contracts. 0-16 still makes a ton of money. It’s a lottery type situation for owners. Until incentive based money is earned by winning this will never change.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup.  Just so damn frustrating.  Assuming Vacchiano's report is correct, they are heading down the same exact path that has not worked, multiple times in the past.  The idea of giving Macc one more year but firing Bowles now is the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  I just don't get the logic.

As much as I would hate to see Bowles back next year, I agree with you.  Instead of firing one and keeping one, keep both, give them a  playoff mandate for next year.  No playoffs, both are gone.  Although I still prefer sending both packing at the end of the season.

Any logical franchise, would look at this roster and the win/loss record and can both without thinking twice.  But we're not dealing with a logical organization.  

Go Jets! 

16 minutes ago, JiF said:

I’m reasonably confident the two would set a lemonade stand on fire by the end of business day if given the chance to run one. 

Boy, I have been through this schtick before as a fan of the Edmonton Oilers.  The 'rebuild' is the some date that gets moved around as the team flounders.  A stated goal is to 'compete for a playoff spot'

Forget the goals, forget the rebuild, forget the plan.  Examine the draft success and examine free agent success.  When you look at those two key issues McCagnan has been terrible over his 4 years.  I am not surprised that he is safe because the people ultimately in charge are clueless and can be talked into anything.

IF the jets had a proper org and they had a guy like Mike Shanahan or Mike Holmgren or Tom Coughlin as a president of football ops those guys would be telling the owner/ceo that the Gm has to go.

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Does anyone else find it completely absurd that he gave a 5 year target to compete for playoffs? How incompetent could ownership be to think this is even remotely acceptable?

Holy mother of God. I hear that he's targeting 2035 to be competing for a championship. Rebuilding takes time fellas, have patience.

?

i don't see the 5 year target being too out of line considering the jets qb situation when he took over.  also it could be he was saying 5 seasons but really wanted to get tp the playoffs in 4 or less.  that way he would've looked much better.  the funny thing is almost worked because they just missed out in 2015.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Only the Jets try to sell this team with that GM to a potential Head Coach.  

"Hey look Mr. future Head Coach, check out how Mac built a loaded roster for Todd, come on over an benefit from fruits of his labor!"

////Chris Johnson prepares for a line out the door, check his cell phone to see if he has the wrong day when nobody shows up

Macc totally ignored O lineman and picked crap wideouuts in his "rebuild."  So he failed at planning and evaluation

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Firing Bowles and keeping Maccagnan is quite literally the single dumbest decision the Jets could ever possibly make in the midst of all this.  I would actually prefer them to keep both than do that nonsense (which should really tell you something).  That would also be an idiotic decision mind you, but at least that way our suffering would only last for one more year when they would both be undoubtedly sent packing together next season, as opposed to the endless years of this mind-numbingly stupid back and forth nonsense this team has already seen first hand quite recently is a recipe for disaster.

Let's bring in Chad Pennington as the 2019 interim HC while we figure out who the GM is.  With Mark Sanchez as OC and Josh McCown as QB Coach.  Geno Smith on clock management duty for all games not played on the West Coast. 

11 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Macc deserves to follow Bowles to the unemployment line next January 

The have to hire a Big Cheese and let him carry the responsibility for coach and GM.  And whoever it is should probably get two cracks at each position. They should have done this 4 years ago

How in the world does Jets ownership still think Mac is competant?  He's proven through 4 drafts that he couldn't draft his way out of a wet paper bag.  He's completely ignored the OL, subjecting Darnold and all other QBs to horrible abuse (this malfeasance alone should get Mac a pink slip).  He's wasted more than other teams on over-the-hill vets in FA.  Man, he sucks.  And Woody & Chris Johnson actually think he does a good job?  Really?  This is what leads me to believe that the Johnsons are mentally defective.  They don't see the obvious, or if they do, they choose to ignore it.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If they're going to keep around Maccagnan you might as well keep Bowles for another year.  In no situation is keeping Maccagnan acceptable.  With Bowles gone but Macc still around, that means he either gets to pick the next HC, or the owners pick the HC for him.  And whichever one of those scenarios they choose will mean another 3+ year disaster. 

Yep. Keeping one of the two is worst case scenario

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

How in the world does Jets ownership still think Mac is competant?  He's proven through 4 drafts that he couldn't draft his way out of a wet paper bag.  He's completely ignored the OL, subjecting Darnold and all other QBs to horrible abuse (this malfeasance alone should get Mac a pink slip).  He's wasted more than other teams on over-the-hill vets in FA.  Man, he sucks.  And Woody & Chris Johnson actually think he does a good job?  Really?  This is what leads me to believe that the Johnsons are mentally defective.  They don't see the obvious, or if they do, they choose to ignore it.

But he got Jermaine Kearse in the deal!

Todd Bowles’ fate, while delayed, seems to be sealed. The end of this season will surely coincide with the end of his Jets career. But what about Mike Maccagnan?

New York’s fourth-year general manager has had an up and down tenure with the organization. Maccagnan has done well landing talent in the first round of the NFL draft, but he has struggled to find players in the later rounds who can stick on the roster. He hasn’t done much better at signing quality free agents, as overpaying for players who go on to underwhelm has become the norm.

p?c1=7&c2=6921732&c3=100

When evaluating Maccagnan’s full body of work, it’s hard to justify him deserving another year with the Jets. If he does survive, however, he’ll have a chance to get it right again in free agency, as New York will be among the league leaders in cap space. But history has a tendency of repeating itself.

In other words, Maccagnan will likely spend big on all of the wrong players if given the chance.

The Jets lead the league in unrestricted free agent contracts and are 29th in the league in homegrown players. That number speaks volumes when it comes to Maccagnan’s inability to find steals on days two and three of the draft. Excluding Leonard Williams, every member of Maccagnan’s first draft class is no longer on the roster. Two members of the 2017 draft class were released only a year into their tenure with the team and it’s impossible to forget Maccagnan’s miss on Christian Hackenberg in 2016.

Maccagnan has made far too many mistakes in his time with the Jets to warrant a return next season. Sure, he’d have the chance to pick a new head coach with a talented core already in place, but who says a new head coach will immediately translate into success on the field?

New York’s roster is filled with holes and Maccagnan has a tendency to try to fill these holes with players he picks up off the scrap heap. This is due in large part to his misses in the draft. With a roster that features little depth due to his incompetence drafting in the middle and late rounds, Maccagnan has to scramble to find bodies to fill out the 53-man roster.

That is not a recipe for success and not a recipe for Maccagnan to stick around in New York much longer. As Rex Ryan stated on ESPN on Monday, the Johnson’s have a tendency to be generous when it comes to retaining employees. However, it gets to the point where misses in free agency and the draft can only be tolerated for so long.

Like Bowles, Maccagnan has had four years to figure it out. He hasn’t and should follow Bowles out the door at season’s end because of it.

Archived