Ralph Vacchiano "While Jets' Todd Bowles is on hot seat, sources suggest Mike Maccagnan is safe"

Jetsbb

I actually believe that the Jets will do some type of keep Mac but promote Heimerdinger type move.  They are not going to let Mac continue to select players like he has been.  

Firing Bowles this off season is going to kill the Johnsons, because they will need to pay Bowles for 2 years.   But I think they do it.  

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I will drag that motherf*cker out of Florham Park myself if I have to. 

Just put a Starbucks coffee cup on a string outside his office.  As he walks over to pick it up just pull on the string, slowly leading him down the hallway and out of the building where he will encounter a group of angry men in faded Klecko jerseys.  Just as he grabs the cup he will immediately start to get pummeled by the men as they scream, "Offensive line!!!  Offensive line you idiot!!!"

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I know the Jets read this stuff. This thread definitely isn't going the way they hoped it would lol.

The sad part, the really really sad part, is if the Jets actually listened to some of what this board says, we'd be in 100000x better place than we currently are.  And I know that sounds ridiculous but in our case, it's 100% true.

That said, if you're reading,... @HessStation we are available.

57 minutes ago, freestater said:

You guys act like Macc did something stupid...like give Wilkerson, Tru. Johnson, and Fitzpatrick big freaking money...

None of those were really bad moves that I can fault him for. Can’t play hindsight game. I hate the guy but let’s be fair.

Wilkersom-played like an all pro prior and was homegrown talent. We finally didn’t bust in the draft. Had to resign him.

Fitzpatrick-had his career best season and we were in win now mode to a degree and had no QB. We signed him for less that average starter money. He was just supposed to hold the fort while Mac drafted a QB in 2016.

Tru-he has been a disappointment but has also been injured and thrives in an environment with a pass rush since he is good at press man. He is too slow to hold the fort too long. After missing out on Cousins and more importantly O-line, we had to spend the money somehow. It wasn’t a good decisions but not terrible give the circumstance and he was supposed to be great for our scheme,

I hate Mac probably more than anyone here but I’m also fair in my arguments. These 3 moves are at the very bottom of the list of what he has done wrong. He has done SO MUCH wrong in the draft and FA (mainly draft) that you don’t even need these 3 “arguments” to support that Mac is complete trash. I’m basically giving him “benefit of the doubt” with these moves and he is still horrible and on Idzik level. 

1 hour ago, freestater said:

You guys act like Macc did something stupid...like give Wilkerson, Tru. Johnson, and Fitzpatrick big freaking money...

I know it isn't big money but McCown's 10 million still bugs me as well. We would have taken less.

I'm still not getting why Maccagnan keeps ignoring the offensive line. Sorry, but replacing someone who isn't good enough to play in the NFL (Johnson) which someone who is marginal-at-best who can't even snap the ball properly in shotgun (Spencer Long) doesn't really count. HE's had multiple opportunities in the draft to select good OLmen, yet chose Christian Hackenberg, Devin Smith and perpetually-injured Marcus Maye with his second rounders. Woeful. 

Mac has been absolutely terrible since day 1.  His lack of patience set the franchise back at least 2 years with the anti-Idzik strategy where he signed a bunch of aging veteran superstars to huge paydays in order to artificially pump up the 'winning' culture.  The result was nothing short of catastrophic, where one of the most expensive single season rosters failed to even make the playoffs, despite having a huge year from Fitzpatrick and of course resulted in a locker room implosion.  In fact, he's been relatively lucky all around  given that his qb signings have turned out a lot better than they could have been (its fair to say Fitz and McCown both overplayed their relative mean skills).  I'd argue that the real product which he's fielded is significantly worse than it appears to be. 

The real problem has been the half in, half out strategy which is guaranteed to make at best a ,500 team, and at worst end up in the dumping pile where we are right now.  It doesn't make sense to pay big money to free agents when you don't have a young nucleus in place that is already carrying over 50% of the load.  We don't have anything like that yet.   Only now does it start to make sense, given that we have a franchise qb. 

People talk about the warpile of money that we have for next season.  Yes, but we could have had even more if we didn't eat the contracts of Mo Wilkerson, Revis, Tru, Skrine, etc etc  All of those things could easily have been pushed into the future to be used once Darnold entered his prime.

Then of course his drafting has been pretty bad.  Again he got lucky with very conservative and obvious safe picks in Adams and Leo.  Other than that, he really hasn't hit on a single non-obvious pick.  I'd argue that the only really successful pick he's made was Maye in the 2nd round, and even that is debatable given that there were several better players that we desperately needed more than another safety, and that again Maye was on every single draft board in the country at around that spot.

There are worse GMs in the league than this guy, but I don't see a superbowl at any point in the future as long as he's part of the organization.

6 hours ago, Dinamite said:

A big issue is the ability to attract a top coach with a GM who may be fired in one year.  If the plan is to keep Macc then he has to get a commitment of 3-4 years with the next coach.  Are we ready to do that? 

F*** no, hence my point that Mac should be fired now.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

The sad part, the really really sad part, is if the Jets actually listened to some of what this board says, we'd be in 100000x better place than we currently are.  And I know that sounds ridiculous but in our case, it's 100% true.

Yes, yes it does.

3 hours ago, Paradis said:
  1. Ardarius Stewart
  2. Trumaine Johnson
  3. Todd Gurley
  4. Chad Hansen
  5. Christian Hackenberg
  6. Spencer Long
  7. Mauldin
  8. Jeremy Bates
  9. Most dead money
  10. lowest number of players under contract

Don't know if you're trying to indicate here that the Jets have the most dead money. Check out the Bills dead money.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

7 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Yes, yes it does.

Yet its true.  I know for a fact that if Hess and JiF were making the picks, we'd be in better shape.  Not talking hindsight here, talking foresight. 

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If they're going to keep around Maccagnan you might as well keep Bowles for another year.  In no situation is keeping Maccagnan acceptable.  With Bowles gone but Macc still around, that means he either gets to pick the next HC, or the owners pick the HC for him.  And whichever one of those scenarios they choose will mean another 3+ year disaster. 

Exactly. Makes zero sense. Just more proof that the ownership is completely clueless as to how to run an organization. Totally, completely clueless. This franchise will continue to fail until the trust fund brothers go. It all starts at the top.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And its absurd to think that will be the case next season.  We have a makeshift offensive line, no WR1, no pass rusher and only 1 decent corner (Claiborne).  Even that $100 million in cap space won't fix all those holes. 

And even if we do sign players at all those spots, you can't build a competitive team off of mercenaries.  It's never worked in the history of the NFL.  You can supplement what you have with free agents.  But you can't use free agency on a bunch of premium positions at once and ever expect it to work.  Not only because of the respective attitudes of the players coming in, but also because other teams out there saw fit to let them walk for a reason.  Hence why we ended up with Trumaine Johnson this past offseason. 

Claiborne isn't signed for next season, lol. Subtract that from your list of positives for 2019.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I know it isn't big money but McCown's 10 million still bugs me as well. We would have taken less.

McCown May be the only coach on the team earning his $$ lol.. Darnold has said how important he has been to him as a qb mentor, but McCown isn’t drawing up crappy conservative plays, picking horrible guys to protect him on OL, and barely given him any talent to throw to. by the way Max, I really cannot Change my aviator, ir was fun for a while, now it is a little embarrassing ?

4 hours ago, varjet said:

I actually believe that the Jets will do some type of keep Mac but promote Heimerdinger type move.  They are not going to let Mac continue to select players like he has been.  

Firing Bowles this off season is going to kill the Johnsons, because they will need to pay Bowles for 2 years.   But I think they do it.  

I might agree with this IF Macc's background was a 'numbers guy' and not a scout.  Picking players should be his strong suit...no?

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Just put a Starbucks coffee cup on a string outside his office.  As he walks over to pick it up just pull on the string, slowly leading him down the hallway and out of the building where he will encounter a group of angry men in faded Klecko jerseys.  Just as he grabs the cup he will immediately start to get pummeled by the men as they scream, "Offensive line!!!  Offensive line you idiot!!!"

I volunteer. I already have the appropriate attire.

8 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

How on earth do you like this? Then after one year we fire people AGAIN and look like a complete train wreck. That will ensure that no one will come here. Why the hell are you so in love with a failure like Mac who is responsible for help ruining this team?

You want to ruin any credibility that we may have built up after sticking with these idiots for 4 years and talk a pointless half measure that COMPLETELY ruins any chance at long term success and ability to attract candidates? You have to be kidding.

Please explain because I’m baffled by this great “1 year or bust” plan that will lead to rash decisions, wreckless spending and ensure that NO GOOD CANDIDATES will want a job here with such a short leash. You are setting the new coach up for complete failure much like this HORRIBLE idea. 

You're forgetting some of the best parts.

We're supposed to find a really good HC, who'll take a job after the prior HC was fired after 1 year with the lousy players the GM got him, after the two HCs before him were fired in no small part following the recent and prior GMs similarly screwing up.

Everyone's got that part. Mostly.

The best part is he'll blow through all the cap room that could make the job actually attractive for 2019. Lots of cap room, high 1st round draft pick, cheap 22 year old QB, low expectations.

But it won't end there. All that spending - even if spent poorly as he's destined to do - will help the year after that, plus the clean slate of a new HC. So they'll improve to 7-9 or 8-8 and will get another extension. Then by year 2 those bad contracts will further show their stupidity, and they'll drop back to 5-11. 

7 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Do you not see how that wouldn’t work? It’s not what you like it’s what makes sense. If you like Mac, he’d have to stay here for more than 1 year and be extended so a coach would at least come here in the first place and not worry about it being blown up after 1 year like you said. 

Even if you did that, Mac is taking a lot of heat and no good coach will come here at all if he is still GM. 

I dont buy it either.  The recevers suck, except for Herndon and Quincy.  the OL sucks.  The DL is average at best.

5 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Firing Bowles and keeping Macc is similar to firing Tannenbaum while keeping Rex and foisting him on Idzik. We need to completely clean house and hire a GM who gets to pick his own head coach. Hold overs from previous regimes are an awful idea. 

We're at the point of no return unless there's a proven successful President of Football Ops or a Harbaugh, Urban type of coach hire.

The roster right now is terrible. We're staring at a 4-12 season after 4 years of this regime. I think @slats said this earlier but this feels awfully similar to the Kotite/Coslet/Walton era that needed to be saved by Parcells and his coaching tree. You cant bring in another first time GM/coach. The checkbook needs to be opened to bring in an A lister.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

We're at the point of no return unless there's a proven successful President of Football Ops or a Harbaugh, Urban type of coach hire.

The roster right now is terrible. We're staring at a 4-12 season after 4 years of this regime. I think @slats said this earlier but this feels awfully similar to the Kotite/Coslet/Walton era that needed to be saved by Parcells and his coaching tree. You cant bring in another first time GM/coach. The checkbook needs to be opened to bring in an A lister.

Whatever they do, no more half measures. No more BS power structure. I want a GM who actually a GM and not someone who is a capologist/director of player acquisition. 

4 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Whatever they do, no more half measures. No more BS power structure. I want a GM who actually a GM and not someone who is a capologist/director of player acquisition. 

The issue (at least I think the issue is) the Johnsons want to maintain total control of the football operations so unless they change their minds there we'll be stuck with the same setup. Woody taking the ambassador job was the perfect opportunity to put someone in charge ( like a Holmgren etc) to run the show while he went away doing whatever he's doing. Ceding control to his brother just reinforces its their show. 

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Don't know if you're trying to indicate here that the Jets have the most dead money. Check out the Bills dead money.

Thanks for clearing that up -- seems you got the heart of the post.

In light of your two cents, we should probably extent macc now. 

19 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

All his moves

This must be where we have the argument about how now it's a rebuild, but everything he did before wasn't part of the rebuild... or whatever glue huffing nonsense people bought into.

2017 draft class: 9 draft picks, 1 non-premium position starter, over half of draft class off team by mid-2018

2016 draft class: 7 draft picks, 3 low-average players, 1 good player (punter), QB who never took a snap

2015 draft class: 6 draft picks, 1 good starter, 5 players non on team

All his moves. LOL

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Thanks for clearing that up -- seems you got the heart of the post.

In light of your two cents, we should probably extent macc now. 

I would let him continue. Let HIM pick the next coach. If you remember he had no say as to Bowles.

3 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Firing Bowles and keeping Macc is similar to firing Tannenbaum while keeping Rex and foisting him on Idzik. We need to completely clean house and hire a GM who gets to pick his own head coach. Hold overs from previous regimes are an awful idea. 

Gotta disagree. It is NOT similar, totally opposite. . Macc  did NOT pick  Bowles as his HC. Keep Macc. Let him pick the new coach. If it doesn't pan out, fire the coach and execute Macc.

2 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Gotta disagree. It is NOT similar, totally opposite. . Macc  did NOT pick  Bowles as his HC. Keep Macc. Let him pick the new coach. If it doesn't pan out, fire the coach and execute Macc.

What has he done that makes you want to keep him so badly? Why not cut bait in an effort to not limit any coaching candidates or options? 

I would let him continue. Let HIM pick the next coach. If you remember he had no say as to Bowles.

Why.

What has he done to warrant more time. Did Bowles make those picks? Did Bowles sign those FAs?

His job is literally to build the roster. He’s been horrible at that.

Explain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Exactly. Makes zero sense. Just more proof that the ownership is completely clueless as to how to run an organization. Totally, completely clueless. This franchise will continue to fail until the trust fund brothers go. It all starts at the top.

Cheap mother’s don’t want to pay 2 GM salaries at the same time.  It really is that simple.  They might NEVER have accomplished anything in their lives in their own, but they’re not that stupid.

Their garbage Franchise appreciates in value at a $50-100 Mill clip EVERY year, just like the NY Knicks, all because they’re lucky enough to own a NY Franchise, basically is a License to print money, the team EVER winning is of no consequence.....and yet they pinch EVERY PENNY.  Johnson played 1 year WITHOUT a Secondary and banked the 20 mill under the cap he saved, he really cares one iota about the fans of the team who is basically hijacked?

He won’t even pay for a real GM, is he that stupid to know what an embarrassment Maccagnan’s performance is? Of course not.  Next coach will be another Rookie.  This time Offense centric, try to con the fans again, throw them a little bone.

Not only can Maccagnan NOT draft, virtually ALL the FAs he signed with 10+Mill Guaranteed, guys who he thought would make up the “core of the roster”...virtually All Busts.

WTF can this guy do?  Same question you ask about Bowles....answer is NOTHING for Both.

Archived