Admit You Were Dead Wrong

Losmeister

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

about signing McClown and how good he'd be for Sam and the Jets...

come on, you wankers, eat some crow...     defending this dreck is bad enough...  at least have the cojones to admit you didnt know wtf you were talking about..

theres at least 50 of you mokes...    you should all be dunking your head in the nearest unflushed toilet

I love the presumption that you were the only one, and most prominent one, against the McCown signing.

It may be news to you, but a number of us were against it and said so.

14 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'm sure McCown has seen more offfenses than the QB coach, having him in the film room breaking down what he sees in invaluable.

It’s invaluable?  Come on now.  If it’s so invaluable how did all these other QBs manage to become good to great NFL QBs without such mentoring?   The coaching staff has the largest and most important affect on a developing QB.  

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s invaluable?  Come on now.  If it’s so invaluable how did all these other QBs manage to become good to great NFL QBs without such mentoring?   The coaching staff has the largest and most important affect on a developing QB.  

You don''t believe any of these great QB's benefitted from having an older Vet QB on the roster to help ease them into the Pro game. With today's CBA the time coaches can spend with players is limited ,having someone to watch film with and breakdown the playbook is a much bigger asset than many want to believe.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I love the presumption that you were the only one, and most prominent one, against the McCown signing.

It may be news to you, but a number of us were against it and said so.

He is not talking to you. He is talking to the 50 "mokes" that thought this was somehow a good signing. And now we need have 50 statements of " I was dead wrong". This will appease the Gods of forums.

38 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This is freaking hilarious.  Here is what is wrong with the team. We pay the backup QB too much money

It’s symptomatic of a bigger problem 

the crappy GM uses first round picks on low value positions and pays backup QBs $10 million while we have holes galore at WR, OL and OLB

13 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Why stop with Robinson, Brandin Cooks changed teams, so did Jimmy Graham but they are not on this team and I'm pretty sure our backup QB is not the reason for that. 

Ah man I forgot, everything Maccagnan has done is Actually Good because he couldn’t possibly have done it any other way

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I believe Cousins was their number 1 offseason priority. And that would have been real dumb, in my estimation.

After that, they knew they needed a veteran qb, and that was McCown. I will say it again, that is far down on the list of what ails this Jets team.

You're right.  Joshy was the fall back plan after Cousins.  But literally, right after the Cousins thing fell through, Joshy had a contract in hand.

I agree it's far down the list as to what is ailing the Jets currently but that's not really what it's about IMO.  It's more of a reflection of how they allocate money, who/what they prioritize via FA and the overall construction of this disaster of a roster. 

Josh McCown, should not have been their #2 priority to Cousins, especially if you're on the phone with the Colts about trading up for your future franchise QB.  The second you knew that was going to happen, every single penny in FA and draft picks should have been used to support your future QB draft pick, not spending 10 mil on someone that nobody else in the NFL would have come close to paying that type of money for to play Madden with their starter.  That's a stupid high unnecessary cost that literally provides zero value the organization. 

30 minutes ago, derp said:

McVay, Pederson, Reid...the way things are trending in Chicago we’re going to be talking about Nagy and Trubisky soon too.

Need to get better offensive coaching for Darnold. What Chicago has done isn’t a bad blueprint. Got their franchise QB a good offensive mind and some weapons - huge difference year over year.

Jets could have hired Nagy last year to replace Blowes but we didn’t wanna look like the browns or something like that

50 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

And who on this roster should we be giving that money to? We are under the cap. There is no reason not to spend this money.

The Jets have the least amount of players in the NFL signed to contract in 2019, so there are a bunch of players who could have used that money to extend rather than giving away 10 mil as charity to the McCown family.

I don’t know about all this. What I do know is Steve Young mentored under Joe Montana, Rodgers under Favre, Garrappalo under Brady.... shall I go on. 

So the guy came in rusty.... Didn’t play at all in preseason, maybe 1 series and hasn’t been on the field since. He’s 39 and not that great to begin with. I for one wasn’t expecting him to light it up.

AS far as how he’s help Darnold, I don’t know, I’m not in the film room with him, I’m not at practice everyday with him, I’m not on the sidelines during the games with him and neither are any of you. 

A. The Jets are currently tens of millions of dollars under the cap RIGHT NOW and will be $100 M under next year, so unless you're getting an invoice from the Jets to help pay McCown, the money arguement is pointless and stupid. 

The arguement should be that we shouldn't have had that much money after rebuilding the Oline last Off season would be the arguement to make, but that's moot. 

B. Let's take a look at your "average" NFL Quarterback Coach...guys like Matt Cavanaugh, Brian Schottenheimer, Greg Knapp, David Culley...Kellen Moore. Guys who get the job by working through Coaching Staff assistant positions, nepotism, or random chance. These are guys who never had the talent to PLAY A DOWN in the NFL for the most part, never mind start. What is it they do that would be so special? LOL? Remember Sanchez IGNORING Callahan? Because he had no credibility.  

Coaching is important,  but Talent and work ethic is what makes a successful starter. And a guy like Josh, who was never more than an adequate starter in the NFL knows more about being an NFL QB than a hack like Schotty....or a PRETENDER like Gruden will ever know. 

Bitching about Josh McCown functioning as de facto QB coach (a long with Bates) and wanting some random dude to yell at Darnold about footwork or "hot reads" is silly. 

So many real problems,  and people are whinging about McCown. 

LOL.

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

McCown has been a good mentor to Darnold.  He's a hard worker and goes about his business in a professional manner which is more than we can say about plenty of players.  Sam is learning great preparation habits and how important it is to drown out the outside interference and focus on football.  He's been worth every penny.  Just remember that the best hitting coaches in baseball are ex players who couldn't hit.  They mastered the theory of hitting but couldn;t execute due to lack of talent.  This holds true for QB coaches too.  McCown is as solid as they come in terms of QB theory and he's pssing on every nuggest of information to Darnold.  This is a big WIN for the Jets and Darnold.  

Well said.  I think, for Sam, being one of the youngest QBs to start in the NFL with the least experience playing the position of any of the drafted QBs, Josh has been a God send for him personally.  USC does an outstanding job grooming these kids for the media fish bowl, how to maneuver around the questions reporters ask in attempt to create sound bites that could turn into controversy.....as the starting QB at USC, he was the face of the university, just as he will be for an NFL franchise.  The USC SID made sure to schedule his appearances, podcasts and media interviews around his need to go home some weekends to be with family and old friends.

Josh McCown has become that family in NY, if you saw the reaction from Sam's mother the first time she met Josh, you would see the warm embrace and tears for a man who made her son feel at home in NY.  Josh McCowan has the same values Sam and his family have.

You may consider it a waste, but we know Sam, and we know he raves about Josh to his people back home and how much he has helped him adjust.

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

You're right.  Joshy was the fall back plan after Cousins.  But literally, right after the Cousins thing fell through, Joshy had a contract in hand.

I agree it's far down the list as to what is ailing the Jets currently but that's not really what it's about IMO.  It's more of a reflection of how they allocate money, who/what they prioritize via FA and the overall construction of this disaster of a roster. 

Josh McCown, should not have been their #2 priority to Cousins, especially if you're on the phone with the Colts about trading up for your future franchise QB.  The second you knew that was going to happen, every single penny in FA and draft picks should have been used to support your future QB draft pick, not spending 10 mil on someone that nobody else in the NFL would have come close to paying that type of money for to play Madden with their starter.  That's a stupid high unnecessary cost that literally provides zero value the organization. 

This may be a trite point, and I nor we will never know, but the Colts may have tried to hold the Jets up for more, knowing they had no fall back plan. Possibly not, but maybe. All in all, not a great spot to be in. And here we are.

34 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nope, sorry. It’s not the #1 problem, and also it didn’t take up all of our cap space, so #actually it’s Good

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

It’s symptomatic of a bigger problem 

the crappy GM uses first round picks on low value positions and pays backup QBs $10 million while we have holes galore at WR, OL and OLB

I don't agree on the low value position argument, 

If you could draft the next Ed Reed, would you have a problem using first round pick? 

DL is not low value, neither is ILB. My issue is not his first round selections, it's everything after that he sucks at. 

55 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

You’re a blithering idiot. Out of ALL of the problems with the team, this is the one you single out as being detrimental? Did you know that we are under the cap and that signing McCown did not prevent us from signing another player? Of course you didn’t. 

Spot on.

The $10 million dollar argument just doesn't make sense. 

Spending money on McCown literally did not prevent the Jets from making any other move. We didn't miss out on Andrew Norwell or Allen Robinson because we paid a premium to keep our backup QB. We missed out on those guys because the team sucks and they didn't want to come to a bad team in a brutal media market with the most negative fans in the league. We couldn't give our money away.

This (seems obvious but I'll point it out) isn't a defense of Big Mac. The team sucks because he sucks. But this specific move is fine and isn't in any way a "bad move." In fact, at this point in the season it's one of the only moves this offesason that still makes sense looking back.

If we're gonna start "I told you so" threads it should be by people who thought making Trumaine Johnson the 2nd highest paid CB in the league was a mistake. Because he SUCKS and it was and unlike McCown we are stuck trotting him out there for the foreseeable future.

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

McCown is very far down on the list of "what is wrong with the jets".

Unless he was accounting for 8% of the entire team’s salary cap as a backup QB nobody wanted to sign last off season. Kinda like how nobody in the league wanted Fitzpatrick but a Macc thought he was worth $12 mil. The guy needs to go and I’m not talking about just Macc. 

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

You’re a blithering idiot. Out of ALL of the problems with the team, this is the one you single out as being detrimental? Did you know that we are under the cap and that signing McCown did not prevent us from signing another player? Of course you didn’t. 

Did you know that had we not signed McCown, we would’ve had 10 extra mile next year? Of course not. And do you know that nobody was paying McCown anywhere near the 10mil we paid? Of course not. And did you know that one legged Teddy was a million times better and cheaper than McCown, yet we traded away Teddy cuz Macc wanted to draft another bust in the 3rd round? Of course not. 

McCown isn’t the problem, however. He’s part of it. He didn’t pay himself all that salary. Macc did. Macc is the issue here. 

Archived