Why we suck. (Long deadspin article with Pepper Johnson)

freestater

I think this article eventually serves its purpose.

The Johnsons have read it, and it supports the coaching ineptitude that we have observed all season.

Interestingly, the defense played its best when Kacy was out.  But Bowles appeared to give Kacy back full authority when he returned.  That made no sense.  

The Jets are currently a complete mess from top to bottom, but simply because it happens to fit the narrative, it doesn't suddenly mean that a batsh*t crazy position coach who has been blackballed from the NFL for the past 2 years now should suddenly be given some credence to his bitter rants.  There is not the slightest bit of doubt that Bowles will have his next job long before Johnson does.

These are the only 2 quotes you need to read from Pepper because every Jet fan has wondered why the defense seems so disjointed. Blitz & DBs playing off? 

Are you referring to Todd here? Kacy?

I’m going to tell you this. Todd really could care less. In my experience of dealing with him for two years, he really could care less. So I’m telling on myself.

I have your answer, then.

Kacy, our problem was, Kacy was a defensive line coach in the AFC East, where I was a defensive line coach in the AFC East. I don’t want to say it’s animosity, but there’s several times where he tried to tell me how to coach my guys. You’ve got to do one or two things: You demand this, and this is the only way that it’s happening; I’ve got to run this this way. But if you’re making a suggestion or you’re telling me this is what you did in freaking Miami? I could care less about that because I didn’t think highly of the Miami Dolphins’ defensive line [when Kacy was coaching them]. I thought they got a lot of pass rush from the defensive ends but they didn’t get a lot of pass rush from the inside guys, so that’s why those guys were having a hard time against certain teams and [against] some other teams they just padded their stats.

Archived