Jamal Adams- "Losing culture still here" PFT article

Barkus

Jamal Adams: Bad vibes from last season haven’t changed

Posted by Josh Alper on November 13, 2018, 2:35 PM EST
gettyimages-1066267024-e1542137661334.jp
Getty Images

In the offseason, Jets safety Jamal Adams did an interview with Bleacher Report that included Adams saying that the team’s “vibe” was a losing one and that everybody on the team wanted to “do the bare minimum.”

Jets coach Todd Bowles responded to that by saying that Adams “didn’t mean a lot of things that came out wrong,” but Adams either disagrees with the notion that those things came out wrong or he hasn’t yet figured out a way to get them out right.

Adams was a guest on WFAN Tuesday and he was asked if his feelings have changed about the comments he made months ago.

“I could sit here and sugarcoat everything, but things haven’t changed,” Adams said, via Connor Hughes of The Athletic. “Obviously we’re still losing. I’m not saying we have guys like that in locker room, but at same time it’s not changing. It hasn’t changed. We’ve been losing. At the end of the day we’re going to get it fixed. Soon sun will shine.”

Adams’ comments don’t reflect well on head coach Todd Bowles or anyone else setting the tone for the organization, which is a pretty big departure from what he had to say after last Sunday’s 41-10 loss to the Bills. Adams said, via SNY, that Bowles is “not the problem” with the Jets, but his comments on Tuesday suggest the head coach also hasn’t been able to solve the problems that have caused the team to lose 29 of their last 42 games.

======================================================================================================================

He talks a lot but he also has said on 2 different occasions that the team wasn't prepared for a game. Just counting down the days until Toilet gets flushed. 

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, not for nothing but the Jets drafted a box safety over a guaranteed culture changer in Deshaun Watson (Mahomes didnt have that type pedigree at the time) largely do to his leadership ability stating that he was supposed to be the perfect type of player to change the culture.

Ironically, I'm a Sales Director and I tell my team this all the time, it cant be just me.  I cant be the only leader, some of you have to step up and lead too.  And that's not just talk, it's setting the example.  And if your teammates arent carrying the weight, I cant be the only one telling them to pick it up and holding them accountable.

I'm not sure how running to the media accomplishes that but you just have to hope Jamal is having these conversations in house because otherwise, you're just doing more damage than good. 

JA is young and he will learn.  Right now he just needs to keep his mouth shut and play ball. Pretty soon he's going to get called out by teammates.  Wouldn't surprise me if there aren't several plays a game where the guy goes big play hunting for Sports Center and winds up leaving an uncovered hole or zone that gives the offense an easy 20+ yds...

10 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Only an experienced winner head coach will change the culture here. 

No more first time, flavour of the month, coordinators PLEASE!!!

It doesn't matter who you are , if you don't demand respect  and lead by example you won't get it.

The players can talk all they want about the love for Bowles etc.... , their actions on the field either represent a leader who has failed or players who don't respect the leader.

Adams is a good contributor to the losing.  The teams defense seems to built around having him a yard from the los on every dam play.  Run stuffing safeties that do not generate turnovers and are terrible in coverage do not help you win.  This guys mouth makes him one of the more overrated players on this team. 

When you invest a #6 overall and a high 2nd rounder on safeties these guys should  be making a huge difference, they don't.

8 minutes ago, Grandy said:

As much as people on this board give him crap, right he's our best player and the leader in that clubhouse. Also one of the few guys that plays like he gives a sh*t.

Screenshot_20181113-152654_Instagram.jpg

Bowles is spineless and he can’t lead a team. Our 22 year old Safety does more than the coaches to ralley guys together.

thats an issue all in itself, no wonder they gave up on him before they even left the tunnel.

30 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

He might talk a lot but unfortunately he’s one of a handful of guys who seem to care no matter what. And we need more of that. And also falls on the coaching staff for not keeping them in it. 

I agree. Someone else said it in another thread but Adams seems like the only guy on the team who actually cares about the Jets winning as much as the fans.

10 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

So when they rehire Rex in January, will Rex declare Jamal better than Steve Atwater at the intro press conference or will he wait till minicamp starts?

There is that odd feeling Rex could end up being Woody's Billy Martin.

Evidently, LSU did not have a top media department (SID) to groom their kids that you should keep some thoughts and frustrations in the locker room, otherwise it sounds like it is all about him.  Diplomacy and leadership with passion is an art, which he doesn’t have.

If you’re that great, let your play do the talking, and always have your teammates backs in public.  SMH.

34 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Only an experienced winner head coach will change the culture here. 

No more first time, flavour of the month, coordinators PLEASE!!!

The former will never come here, so the latter is all we can get.  Unless of course we dip into the college pool. 

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't believe he's that skilled of an actor. Others may keep their emotions in check better but I genuinely believe he wants it -- I don't think the same can be said for every guy in the locker room.

These are the generation of kids that grew up idolizing Lebron, specifically off the court/field. What they dont seem grasp is Lebron can compensate for his terrible leadership style by basically being the greatest athlete ever and plays a sport where one guy can do it all. Adams certainly plays hard, but he doesnt impact the game all that much and his motormouth is going to turn everyone off eventually. Lebron gets away with it because he's unstoppable.

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

No one on this board really knows how Adams is being received in the locker room.  Sometimes rah-rah guys that don't make enough plays get tuned out...

That's certainly how it works in the NBA, at least.  When Jay Williams was a rookie, he tried to pull the Duke leadering routine with the veteran players.  They told him to shut the f*** up. 

I'm sure Adams has earned some respect from his teammates.  But the more he cries to the media the less they'll end up supporting him. 

1 hour ago, Barkus said:

In the offseason, Jets safety Jamal Adams did an interview with Bleacher Report that included Adams saying that the team’s “vibe” was a losing one and that everybody on the team wanted to “do the bare minimum.”

It's funny (and sad) that Adams can make this statement while at the same time saying Bowles is not the problem and he still supports him. 

Guess what Jamal, until Bowles is gone, nothing is changing. 

I can get why there is some animosity towards him from this fanbase simply because he's not Deshaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes. However the hate should be directed towards the people who drafted him, not the player himself. He didn't put himself on the team when we had needed a QB, our FO did. They deserve the hate, not him. He is the last person on this team that warrants hard feelings.

Archived