Mehta: Jets need to sign Le'Veon Bell,even if they have to overpay

joewilly12

Because of what Connor is doing people are dismissing how good Bell is but Juju Schuster has also grown up really fast, in fact he's much better than any WR we have on our roster. 
So, instead of defenses having to check Antonio Brown, now Smith Schuster is balling & their Oline has been healthy all year. Juju is a top WR in this league now. Who knows what LB would be doing this year with the Steelers? 
If a top Tackle & Guard were available like when we signed Woody & Fanaca, of course I'd be all for it but it's a weak free agency for the Oline. Almost every Olineman we talked about has been extended already & wont be seeing free agency.
So, go balls to the wall offense & a couple pass rushers. Get guys in here that take the heat off Quincy & Herndon, and their production and YAC will go up. None of this is rocket science.

The fact that Connor is doing well this year has to at least bring up the argument that bell could at least in some part be a product of their system and may not be as talented as once believed (true or not it has to at least be a thought). Bell is also not going to sign a one year prove it deal which means the team that signs him is on the hook for years to come. Add to it the fact that this guy hasn't taken a snap in over a year has to make you think of what just happened with the saints and dez bryant, bell might not be injury prone but you need to wonder what if. I don't want to say bell is not a good player or doesn't deserve a long contract but the risk involved in him is going to be huge, this is the type of signing that does not make sense in my opinion for really any team, I have a feeling that everyone is going to chase this guy and no one is going to sign him until late in free agency because of concerns which will also hurt the teams trying to sign them because they will be less focused on other players who could have helped their team.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Chubb = 2nd Round.  Kamara = 3rd Round. Hunt = 3rd Round. Conner = 3rd Round.  What am I missing here (other than the fact that its the Jets needing to scout and find a similar guy)?

Should we go back and name all of the 2nd and 3rd round backs that didn't make it? Why wouldn't you sign a superstar when you have plenty of money and he's only 27? It's not like we can only sign him. You don't have to pay him 100 million in year one.

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

We won't have the chance to sign them for low to mid range money either of we give bell a mega contract. We need all the help we can get on that line even if they are only depth guys we are able to obtain. I love bell but someone is going to give him a huge contract after he sat out the entire year and if he comes in and gets hurt right away that could set that franchise way back. He is a huge risk vs high reward guy but I think he is the wrong risk for us to take at this time.

Do you understand how contracts are structured?  If Bell gets a 3 year $50 million deal like people are thinking then his first year cap hit would probably be around $18 million.  That leaves $94 million left for O-Line and Edge Rushers.  Is that not enough?

7 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

The fact that Connor is doing well this year has to at least bring up the argument that bell could at least in some part be a product of their system and may not be as talented as once believed (true or not it has to at least be a thought). Bell is also not going to sign a one year prove it deal which means the team that signs him is on the hook for years to come. Add to it the fact that this guy hasn't taken a snap in over a year has to make you think of what just happened with the saints and dez bryant, bell might not be injury prone but you need to wonder what if. I don't want to say bell is not a good player or doesn't deserve a long contract but the risk involved in him is going to be huge, this is the type of signing that does not make sense in my opinion for really any team, I have a feeling that everyone is going to chase this guy and no one is going to sign him until late in free agency because of concerns which will also hurt the teams trying to sign them because they will be less focused on other players who could have helped their team.

Players in this league know whether a guy is successful because of a system or just talented as sh*t, I mean come on. Like I've said, peers who vote this guy top 3 in the league, it's because they've played against him, personally seen him play, or were made to look foolish when he stiff armed them, spun out of a tackle, waggled them out of their shoes or just zipped by them. 

Do I believe that RBs are a dime a dozen, yes, except for the top 1% like Le'veon Bell. Just because the Steelers found Connor, or KC found Hunt, or the Saints found Kamara, doesn't mean the Jets will and even though he comes at an expense, Le'veon Bell like Curtis Martin is a 100% proven commodity. 

This isn't giving the broken leg, 10 sack, 5 vs the Bills Mo Wilkerson 17 million! Bell has been MONEY in big games, has incredible hands out of the backfield, you can line him up as a freaking WR if you want to, runs in a way that he avoids big hits, and defenses HAVE to account for him on every play. Now you surround Bell with some top notch WR/TE talent the lanes to work in have all gotten that much larger. 

Fans look at free agent dollars like it's their money? The Cap gets spent or Woody pockets it. I'd rather have Lev Bell on the Jets than an extra 30 million going into the Johnson coffers.

You actually think it's either/or with almost 100million in cap space? You do realize it isn't all in year one, right? 
Yes I realize that however we have guys to resign too, you start handing out a 10m to Quincy a 10m to Anderson maybe another contract to Claiborne because we will be short a corner than all of a sudden that cap starts wearing down faster than you thought it would.

Players in this league know whether a guy is successful because of a system or just talented as sh*t, I mean come on. Like I've said, peers who vote this guy top 3 in the league, it's because they've played against him, personally seen him play, or were made to look foolish when he stiff armed them, spun out of a tackle, waggled them out of their shoes or just zipped by them. 
Do I believe that RBs are a dime a dozen, yes, except for the top 1% like Le'veon Bell. Just because the Steelers found Connor, or KC found Hunt, or the Saints found Kamara, doesn't mean the Jets will and even though he comes at an expense, Le'veon Bell like Curtis Martin is a 100% proven commodity. 
This isn't giving the broken leg, 10 sack, 5 vs the Bills Mo Wilkerson 17 million! Bell has been MONEY in big games, has incredible hands out of the backfield, you can line him up as a freaking WR if you want to, runs in a way that he avoids big hits, and defenses HAVE to account for him on every play. Now you surround Bell with some top notch WR/TE talent the lanes to work in have all gotten that much larger. 
Fans look at free agent dollars like it's their money? The Cap gets spent or Woody pockets it. I'd rather have Lev Bell on the Jets than an extra 30 million going into the Johnson coffers.
I am not looking at the cap like it is my money and I want us to spend a good bit of it based off of this season's performance but I also don't want us to leave major holes all across our team so we can sign a guy who people like because he was their fantasy savior 2 years ago. No one is saying bell isn't a good player the argument is that we have too many other problems currently to take the risk on him in my opinion I don't believe he is our answer.

29 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I am not looking at the cap like it is my money and I want us to spend a good bit of it based off of this season's performance but I also don't want us to leave major holes all across our team so we can sign a guy who people like because he was their fantasy savior 2 years ago. No one is saying bell isn't a good player the argument is that we have too many other problems currently to take the risk on him in my opinion I don't believe he is our answer.

Well, we disagree, and that's ok. There aren't enough great free agents to fill all of our holes, but we can certainly bargain shop like everyone else when the dust settles after the 1st few days of free agency. With a new coach/maybe GM, new hope, sharp new unis, maybe we'll get a few the bargain guys looking for a fresh start with a new regime. 

One can only hope.

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

Should we go back and name all of the 2nd and 3rd round backs that didn't make it? Why wouldn't you sign a superstar when you have plenty of money and he's only 27? It's not like we can only sign him. You don't have to pay him 100 million in year one.

I guess I am biased for two reasons.  One is it feels like very few big money FA signings ever work out.  It seems like once these guys get their money, something changes.  Two is RB has got to be the worst Risk/Reward position to dole out big money.  The odds of injury and performance drop off are higher there than with just about any other position. 

If we knew how to draft we wouldn't have all this cap space. We'd be signing our in house talent to extensions...

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

It’s dumb as **** so I’m sure they will. Let’s spend half the money on a older RB that acts like a baby when there’s no oline, passrusher or coach. 

How much did McCoy help buffalo. 

Depends on what you're looking at. 

In terms of the team reaching the postseason? Not enough, though they did make the postseason last year, and it wasn't because of their consistent/deadly passing attack.

In terms of making their QB better? Actually he helped freaking Tyrod Taylor look like a passable game manager for McCoy's first 3 seasons there. Then despite Taylor getting 3 seasons of starter experience under his belt, at age 29 in a QB's typical prime he then moves over to Cleveland without such a back, and he's nothing of the sort.  

We have a young QB plus a GM who's going to spend $100m foolishly anyhow. Might as well help the QB develop for the long term instead of "investing" in the new CB who'll help for up to 1 year before slowing down. 

Those are the only reasons I'd even consider it, in particular because he's also a great receiver. I'm never in the crowd who wants to spend a bajillion dollars on a RB. I don't even really want to do it now, and it's not because Bell will lead the Maccagnan-picked Jets to the SB. That's delusional.

It's all about developing Darnold, who will hopefully outlast this GM and whatever desperate HC willing to come here with Maccagnan as a condition. 

I think they can do it but they better sign  lineman and change blocking schemes and actually use the receivers to run deeper routes (hello Robby).

I think defensive wise we should have enough plus sign 

Fowler (who we will also overpay for) at least o-linemen (IDK who is available )and have enough left over for a front loaded contract for Bell

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In terms of the team reaching the postseason? Not enough, though they did make the postseason last year, and it wasn't because of their consistent/deadly passing attack.

In terms of making their QB better? Actually he helped freaking Tyrod Taylor look like a passable game manager for McCoy's first 3 seasons there. Then despite Taylor getting 3 seasons of starter experience under his belt, at age 29 in a QB's typical prime he then moves over to Cleveland without such a back, and he's nothing of the sort.  

We have a young QB plus a GM who's going to spend $100m foolishly anyhow. Might as well help the QB develop for the long term instead of "investing" in the new CB who'll help for up to 1 year before slowing down. 

Those are the only reasons I'd even consider it, in particular because he's also a great receiver. I'm never in the crowd who wants to spend a bajillion dollars on a RB. I don't even really want to do it now, and it's not because Bell will lead the Maccagnan-picked Jets to the SB. That's delusional.

It's all about developing Darnold, who will hopefully outlast this GM and whatever desperate HC willing to come here with Maccagnan as a condition. 

I’m not worried about winning a couple of extra games, maybe making the playoffs and getting knocked out in the first or second round. I’m worried about building a franchise that will consistently go deep into the playoffs and possibly win a Super Bowl. I don’t see how an older RB with an attitude and huge price tag will help. 

Just now, New York Mick said:

I’m not worried about winning a couple of extra games, maybe making the playoffs and getting knocked out in the first or second round. I’m worried about building a franchise that will consistently go deep into the playoffs and possibly win a Super Bowl. I don’t see how an older RB with an attitude and huge price tag will help. 

26. Not sure about that

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

You actually think it's either/or with almost 100million in cap space? You do realize it isn't all in year one, right? 

IMO, the problem is, there just isn't any outstanding OL, edge rushers, or WR's in FA this year.  The Jets are all dressed up, (tons of cap space) and nowhere to go.  The only impact FA I see is Bell.

I suspect the Jets are going to lay a monster deal on the table for him during the legal tampering period.  I'm all for that.

If he screws around, and clearly doesn't want to sign here, but uses the Jets as leverage, like Cousins did, take the deal off the table and move on

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I don't think it will either. What I think is Darnold's career will be far longer than Bell's, and that they're not winning a SB with Maccagnan retained anyway. Also "older" is a relative term. He'll turn 27 next year not 29, and will have taken zero wear & tear on his body the prior season. 

There's also the reality that having a starting QB make this little for the next 3 seasons allows the team to afford a splurge like this and not feel it as much as one paying its QB $25-30 million. By the time Darnold's ready for his 5th year option, they'll be year-to-year with Bell with no remaining guarantees. 

I'm not "all in" on it by any stretch. Just saying if they're going to piss it away on a short term high-dollar corner like Trumaine Johnson again then what the hell. Darnold's development trumps that for me. 

A stellar OL will make an avg or above avg RB look like an all pro. Demarco Murray anyone? A subpar OL will make a stellar RB look very avg. Bell is known for dancing around patiently waiting for holes to open. It frustrates the hell out of defenses. Problem is with us those holes never open and Bell is gonna take a lot of runs for a loss. I could literally see games where he has more carries than yards with our OL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Problem is arguably 3 of 5 OL spots are holes. None of the 2 guys  who are here right now and figure to stick around are perennial All Pros, merely solid average JAGs. This franchise from Parcells until Maccagnan made a point of drafting solid OL guys, especially center/LT-McKenzie, Brick, Mangold. And they signed productive hole fillers-Jumbo, Szott, Kendall, Faneca. This regime will lavish $ on the DBs and then act like they can sign OL help off the street. Signing Bell until you address that would be pointless.

Side note-would you rather have Tru Johnson or Nate Solder right now? Even in a down year for Solder, the question answers itself.  Yet we KNOW how Maccagnan and Bowles would answer that choice every day of the week and twice on Sundays. 

Totally in favor, even with the overpay that will be needed. I'll take it a step further though. I not only would want Bell, I sign Tevin Coleman too. This offense needs playmakers, and anywhere they can find them. A Bell/Coleman backfield is a great inside/outside combination which, if paired with a retooled OL, could take a tremendous amount of pressure off of Sam. Add in another WR, and a decent playcaller (imagine that!), and you suddenly have at least a halfway competent offense.

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Tunnel vision post.

The primary goal is to get Darnold's arrow pointed up. 

Nobody... and I mean NOBODY... the Jets can bring in via draft or fraud agency will help make Darnold more comfortable in the pocket during his "formative" years than Le'Veon Bell. 

NOBODY.

WRs and RBs can play in the NFL right out of college, and they can be found in the second round. A good Olineman usually takes some time to develop, a great one his second season.  How a GM can ignore the offensive line is beyond me, it takes time to build, and you have to keep adding pieces every draft.  Jets might have to draft oline for the next few drafts in the first.

Does this organization need a diva like this? You need players to build on, not expensive attention whores at this time. Build a solid team core on both sides, then look at guys like Bell as a final piece.

Please go tell me about all the great OL and pass rushers to be had in free agency that we'd lose out on by signing Bell ?

"But but but but you can draft a back in the draft" yes let's use a draft pick in a draft that we don't have a full set of picks and use one that we could use on OL, WR, or Pass rusher on a RB that may not be half as good as Bell ?

Some of y'all are morons ??‍♂️

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Problem is arguably 3 of 5 OL spots are holes. None of the 2 guys  who are here right now and figure to stick around are perennial All Pros, merely solid average JAGs. This franchise from Parcells until Maccagnan made a point of drafting solid OL guys, especially center/LT-McKenzie, Brick, Mangold. And they signed productive hole fillers-Jumbo, Szott, Kendall, Faneca. This regime will lavish $ on the DBs and then act like they can sign OL help off the street. Signing Bell until you address that would be pointless.

Side note-would you rather have Tru Johnson or Nate Solder right now? Even in a down year for Solder, the question answers itself.  Yet we KNOW how Maccagnan and Bowles would answer that choice every day of the week and twice on Sundays. 

Trumaine Johnson vs Solder is actually a tough question, but not for the reason you're thinking.

Johnson is a waste of $ and I was afraid of just this when we signed him, but his presence doesn't prevent the Jets from pursuing a LT upgrade.

On the other hand Solder has been meh and would prevent upgrading because he's got another year guaranteed (plus another half-year of cap acceleration). They're not touching a high pick LT if Solder is here, even if the value matches our slot.

Between the two I'd still lean towards Solder if you put a gun to my head. With so many holes the idea that we're going to pounce on a top LT prospect (or find an instant-starter better than Solder, with a later pick than #6 overall) is slim. 

Frankly we should be trading down from our top pick unless there's a rare/unique talent edge rusher, because a great one is like having an extra defender on the field (we won't have to blitz to generate pressure). So we should have a shot at a 1st round talent OLman (ideally a LT prospect) and another high pick to use elsewhere. That'd be the only rookie starter (if he's even good enough). Winters can stay, at least for now. They'll also probably bring back Shell. That means 2 OLmen in FA not 4. 

When you trade up for a QB like we did, we're living with the plan that we aren't going to be able to fill as many immediate starters in the draft (unless you are really good with later picks; another reason to dump Macc). 4 high picks on one player says no high pick RB this year. That's why I'm not so averse to the addition (without seeing the details or who the GM is or how the rest of this season goes). 

What sense does it make to sign Bell and have him run behind a mediocre line. Bell will take a big chunk of that FA money. We desperately need to upgrade the line. We need a center, a LT, a G and a RT. 3 premium picks with the #1 and two 3’s which we'd be lucky to get 1 starter on the line from. That FA money must be spent on the line first. Bell is a great back but this is the wrong roster at the wrong time for him and us. 

18 minutes ago, BigO said:

What sense does it make to sign Bell and have him run behind a mediocre line. Bell will take a big chunk of that FA money. We desperately need to upgrade the line. We need a center, a LT, a G and a RT. 3 premium picks with the #1 and two 3’s which we'd be lucky to get 1 starter on the line from. That FA money must be spent on the line first. Bell is a great back but this is the wrong roster at the wrong time for him and us. 

The offensive linemen signed in fraud agency will be crap.  OVERPRICED FRAUDS.  That is why their teams are letting them hit the market. 

Le'V makes his own holes. He darts when there is one right away, and waits for a crease when there isn't one.  If a defense is stuffing the run, guess what?!?!  He catches 80 balls...  that is a different kind of running game.

For the "mileage" critical people?  Bell rarely gets hit hard.  Almost never actually.  He slashes.  He steps out of bounds.  He goes down when there isn't another yard worth fighting for.  He is savvy. 

Stop over-thinking this people...

14 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

I really do think Long could be a useful OG. We do really need to find a center somehow, however. So realistically...there's C and LT that are musts.

Matt Paradis from DEN is scheduled to be a free agent. Sign Paradis, kick Long to LG, cut Carpenter, cut Beachum, draft Jonah Williams in the top 5, and sign LeVeon Bell.

That's a very different looking offense next season and there's plenty of money still left to be spent.

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

Because of what Connor is doing people are dismissing how good Bell is but Juju Schuster has also grown up really fast, in fact he's much better than any WR we have on our roster. 

So, instead of defenses having to check Antonio Brown, now Smith Schuster is balling & their Oline has been healthy all year. Juju is a top WR in this league now. Who knows what LB would be doing this year with the Steelers? 

If a top Tackle & Guard were available like when we signed Woody & Fanaca, of course I'd be all for it but it's a weak free agency for the Oline. Almost every Olineman we talked about has been extended already & wont be seeing free agency.

So, go balls to the wall offense & a couple pass rushers. Get guys in here that take the heat off Quincy & Herndon, and their production and YAC will go up. None of this is rocket science.

Maybe you need to hire the Steelers GM and their college scouting staff, they got JuJu at the bottom of the second round, and he was making plays his first NFL game, as the youngest player in the league!  Obviously, they watched “PAC-12 After Dark”, the Jets staff didn’t.  ?

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Tunnel vision post.

The primary goal is to get Darnold's arrow pointed up. 

Nobody... and I mean NOBODY... the Jets can bring in via draft or fraud agency will help make Darnold more comfortable in the pocket during his "formative" years than Le'Veon Bell. 

NOBODY.

Not worth the money 

38 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Not worth the money 

This sentence is correct for every single player in fraud agency. 

Le'Veon Bell will provide more for the money than any other player available...

He will make Sam better. 

Make the offense better, adding lots of extra first downs... which also keeps the defense fresher.

Le'Veon Bell, BY HIMSELF, will raise the entire team.

Archived