Sign in to follow this  
Adoni Beast

Allbright: “Zac and Press Taylor HC/OC for NYJ”

Rate this topic

Right now I'm done with never has beens. Not saying these guys won't succeed but the Jets need stability. We can't keep taking chances on guys who have never done it at this level. Most of the time they are in way over their heads and not HC material. If the Ravens let him go we need to be all in on  John Harbaugh. If he doesn't come then we can look in another direction but this is a guy who has won a championship and would be a breath of fresh air from what we usually do. We need to press him hard until we know we can't land him. Even if that means missing out on someone else. Darnold also needs stability. We can't keep changing OC's and HC's on him.

By Zack Rosenblatt

zrosenblatt@njadvancemedia.com

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets might be making a coaching change this offseason, and there's a chance they dip into the Eagles coaching staff for help.

Not for the obvious name, either.

Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz has been bandied about as a candidate for head coaching jobs, but it's Eagles quarterbacks coach Press Taylor who might be a match with the Jets.

Though, it would more likely be as an offensive coordinator than head coach.

NFL insider Benjamin Albright suggested the Taylor brothers a Rams quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor and Eagles' Press Taylor a as a tandem to keep an eye on for the Jets' head coach/offensive coordinator jobs.

Jets fans writing new HC/OC articles.

Zac and Press Taylor.

Remember the names.

Both Taylors have ascended quickly through the coaching ranks and would likely be the youngest HC/OC combination if that idea came to fruition.

Zac Taylor, 35, is the Rams' quarterbacks coach and viewed as a rising star in the coaching ranks. He was the Dolphins interim offensive coordinator in 2015 at just 32 years old, and after a couple seasons in the college ranks was hired onto Sean McVay's staff in 2017 as an assistant receivers coach. He was promoted to quarterbacks coach this season and has helped Jared Goff to a career year.

The 30-year-old has already garnered the respect of Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, who has often praised Taylor's football acumen and the like-mindedness he shares with Wentz and Nick Foles. 

The combination of both Taylors could prove to be a boon for the development of young Jets quarterback Sam Darnold

Of course, the Eagles would have to grant the Jets permission to speak with Press Taylor in the first place. 

In January 2017, the Eagles denied the Jets permission to speak with then-quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo about their vacant offensive coordinator job. DeFilippo played a vital role in developing Wentz and Foles in the Eagles' 2017 Super Bowl run before finally leaving to become the Minnesota Vikings' offensive coordinator in 2018. 

It would be so Jets to sit and wait for the duo who end up playing in the NFCCG, and one in the SB, and after waiting both decide last minute they still need more seasoning as an assistant coach, putting the Jets in a spot like the Colts were, and having to settle for the best coach left that ended up with no seat when the music stopped.

Also I understand the idea behind the thinking of trying to sign these guys, but I’d first at least make contact with Lincoln Riley if the Jets plan on going the young, and first time HC from a creative modern innovative offensive background.

11 minutes ago, maury77 said:

So the Jets don't have a head coach in mind, but they already know what OC they want to force on a yet unhired head coach. Yeah, that makes sense. 

Good point... 

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

I honestly do not know much about these two, but i prefer a young minded offensive coach. I think the old minded geniuses such as Gruden, Cowher, Dungy are not simply not the answer in this modern day. 

Most correct. The league has changed a lot in the last few years. Offense is where it's at. Ground and pound doesn't cut it anymore.

47 minutes ago, maury77 said:

So the Jets don't have a head coach in mind, but they already know what OC they want to force on a yet unhired head coach. Yeah, that makes sense. 

It's the Jets ! lol

1 hour ago, LockeJET said:

If the Ravens let him go we need to be all in on  John Harbaugh.

The Ravens - much like the Jets - have seen struggles mostly on offense. Even with Joe Flacco and a solid run game the Ravens seem to always struggle offensively. Harbaugh won a SB with the best defense in the league with leaders like Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs. The Jets have no such leaders, so I would say nay to Harbaugh.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Mac obsessed with anybody who’s worked with the two quarterbacks he failed to trade up to get.

That's where he seems to find success, so just maybe he gets lucky and they have success with Sam. It will be a while before we hire a head coach so I take this with a grain of salt but I wouldn't mind either of the two working with Sam in some capacity, depending upon who is available and who would take the job.

21 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

The Ravens - much like the Jets - have seen struggles mostly on offense. Even with Joe Flacco and a solid run game the Ravens seem to always struggle offensively. Harbaugh won a SB with the best defense in the league with leaders like Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs. The Jets have no such leaders, so I would say nay to Harbaugh.

When Harbaugh won their O was better than their D and both were mid-pack.  They gave up over 30 twice and averaged 31 ppg in the postseason.  Flacco went off in the playoffs (11TD/0INT). Ray Lewis tore his triceps and was a non-entity for his final year.  Suggs was coming off his DPOY, but tore his achilles and was PUP'ed half the season.  He had a big game in the playoffs against Denver though.  It was a fairly balanced team - Flacco, Rice and Yanda were the stars on O, Ngata on D.  You sound like you are talking about Brian Billick, but that was 100 years ago, and I will personally fistfight anybody suggesting that mook for the Jets. 

Leave it to the Jets to figure who they want as Offensive Coordinator before they decide who they want as HC. Let the new coach decide who he wants. This is going to be a sh*t show fellas. Brace yourselves. 

On the bright side, at least they are thinking offense first and are looking at the right coaching trees. 

48 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

And he'd still be the best coach we've had in the last 25 years. At least we know we'd be getting someone solid instead of another first timer that most likely will fail with our ownership. We need stability and an NFL guy. John Harbaugh fits that mold. He's not the best but he's a sure thing.

2 hours ago, LockeJET said:

Right now I'm done with never has beens. Not saying these guys won't succeed but the Jets need stability. We can't keep taking chances on guys who have never done it at this level. Most of the time they are in way over their heads and not HC material. If the Ravens let him go we need to be all in on  John Harbaugh. If he doesn't come then we can look in another direction but this is a guy who has won a championship and would be a breath of fresh air from what we usually do. We need to press him hard until we know we can't land him. Even if that means missing out on someone else. Darnold also needs stability. We can't keep changing OC's and HC's on him.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I do not think Harbaugh is the answer, he would be more of the same. Look at his teams, built around defense as the strong point & an offense that has a strong running game w/ a QB who limits turnovers. The year they won the SB, Flacco played out of his mind in the playoffs, which is what really put them over the edge. 

Hell, I'd also argue since they lost Ray Rice the team has never been the same, they couldn't replace him. 

While I am a little nervous of going in the direction of a young coach, I do hope we can catch lighting in a bottle like the Rams did. 

Just now, LockeJET said:

And he'd still be the best coach we've had in the last 25 years. At least we know we'd be getting someone solid instead of another first timer that most likely will fail with our ownership. We need stability and an NFL guy. John Harbaugh fits that mold. He's not the best but he's a sure thing.

First timers are where the league is looking. Nagy and McVay and Pederson were first timers

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

I honestly do not know much about these two, but i prefer a young minded offensive coach. I think the old minded geniuses such as Gruden, Cowher, Dungy are not simply not the answer in this modern day. 

the jets could do much worse than getting guys who have helped develop wentz and goff.  

1 minute ago, section314 said:

And they most likely will.😂

likely, but i hope albright is right.  i think we'll hire an offensive hc and a younger oc, but i think it will be interesting to see who declines to be interviewed b/c when they did this the last time around with no qb prospect the better candidates wouldn't look our way.  i want to see if darnold's potential is enough to entice the better candidates to interview.

I’d like the Taylor pair for HC & OC. If they want an aggressive and seasoned DC, I hope they look Rex’s way. 

Rex knows he’s done as a HC, or at the very least never getting the HC job here again. But don’t think Rex wasn’t going off against Bowles and Mac the other day on espn for no reason. I bet he would take the DC job here if they wanted him to.