Allbright: “Zac and Press Taylor HC/OC for NYJ”

Adoni Beast

The good thing about this HC search is for once the Jets are attractive because Darnold
is here.  And with four more years left on his rookie deal any HC candidate knows that
management will be extremely aggressive in filling in the missing pieces.  So they will
have an opportunity to be successful quickly

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

It would be so Jets to sit and wait for the duo who end up playing in the NFCCG, and one in the SB, and after waiting both decide last minute they still need more seasoning as an assistant coach, putting the Jets in a spot like the Colts were, and having to settle for the best coach left that ended up with no seat when the music stopped.

Also I understand the idea behind the thinking of trying to sign these guys, but I’d first at least make contact with Lincoln Riley if the Jets plan on going the young, and first time HC from a creative modern innovative offensive background.

That is a bad example.  The Colts ended up w/ frank reich who is an awesome coach.  Better then that weasel josh mcdaniels will ever be.

15 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Yeah that’s what we need.

A couple of green as hell 30 year olds to turn this sh*tfest around.

Wonderful

Shanahan/Harbaugh in 2019

I understand this sentiment.   The counter is do you really want more of the "good ol' boys NFL coaches club?"

The this is how we do things club...

The stubborn as hell club...

The punting on 4th and shorts club...

The kicking FGs on the road against better teams club...

The dinosaur, archaic logic thinking club...?

This is why I am intrigued by a coach from the college ranks.  Bring some fun into the pro game.

52 minutes ago, KRL said:

Matt Campbell is very intriguing, he led Iowa State over Okla when Mayfield
was killing it and they seemed unbeatable:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400934523

Iowa State runs a modern offense but they also are probably the only school
that plays defense in that conference.

Yes, I remember that game. It was at Oklahoma too, I believe?

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Pair one of those two with Helfrich as HC and I'll be happy.

You're not scared that his only NFL experience is this year? It seems like the disintegration of Oregon under his watch was recruiting/personnel based so I can forgive that but I'm worried about his ability to lead professionals.

38 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I understand this sentiment.   The counter is do you really want more of the "good ol' boys NFL coaches club?"

The this is how we do things club...

The stubborn as hell club...

The punting on 4th and shorts club...

The kicking FGs on the road against better teams club...

The dinosaur, archaic logic thinking club...?

This is why I am intrigued by a coach from the college ranks.  Bring some fun into the pro game.

This is my thought. Though I don’t hate the idea of Harbough. 

I would say younger HCs are more open to ideas and doing what works as opposed to the old dudes trying to preach their ways and their system going with veteran players etc. 

Younger coaches are the innovative ones that’s changed what the nfl is now. 

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Do they come with Wentz and Goff?

People always seem to hype up the QB coach...but how many have success with multiple QBs?

I'm not sure I understand this logic. 

Jared Goff sucked as a rookie. He looked like a lost cause. This guy was part of the team that made him good. Why on earth would that not be a good fit with Sam Darnold, a better prospect than Goff who is similarly struggling as a rookie?

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not sure I understand this logic. 

Jared Goff sucked as a rookie. He looked like a lost cause. This guy was part of the team that made him good. Why on earth would that not be a good fit with Sam Darnold, a better prospect than Goff who is similarly struggling as a rookie?

People seem to forget how bad Goff was under Fisher.  And then one HC change

and boom he's an MVP candidate.  It also seems to be going that way in CHI.  They

fired Fox and replaced him with Nagy and now they're leading the NFC Central

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

It would be so Jets to sit and wait for the duo who end up playing in the NFCCG, and one in the SB, and after waiting both decide last minute they still need more seasoning as an assistant coach, putting the Jets in a spot like the Colts were, and having to settle for the best coach left that ended up with no seat when the music stopped.

Also I understand the idea behind the thinking of trying to sign these guys, but I’d first at least make contact with Lincoln Riley if the Jets plan on going the young, and first time HC from a creative modern innovative offensive background.

Have you seen the defenses that Oklahoma has had over the last few seasons. Riley isn't the worst choice out there but I would go with a lot of guys over him. 

1 minute ago, KRL said:

and boom he's an MVP candidate.  It also seems to be going that way in CHI.  They

Exactly. The idea that we should be asking for a bigger sample size is ridiculous. Guys who work miracles like this pick their jobs so they never become available.

The Rams/Bears model is EXACTLY what we should be trying to replicate -- replace the ineffective dinosaur ruining our franchise QB (Fisher/Fox/Bowles) with an innovative mind (McVay, Nagy) who puts him in the best position to succeed. Oh, and spend big money and move mountains to bring in guys like Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp, Brandin Cooks, Allen Robinson, Trey Burton etc. just like they did.

Turns out that when you have an offensive minded coach who knows how to develop and help QBs and pushes to bring in skill talent worth a damn it's good for the QB. Who knew?

Is Allbright suggesting Rams quarterback coach Zac Taylor for head coach and Eagles quarterback coach Press Taylor for offensive coordinator?

I have to imagine that these two would be offensive coordinator candidates. Would we really hire two guys with none to very limited coordinator experience to come in and lead this team?

I have no problem hiring up and comers but this seems like a massive leap to me and screams of trying to follow a trend. There are qualified coaches with legit head coaching experience expected to be available. There are also coordinators around the league who look like they're ready to take the next step.

Hiring a couple of quarterback coaches would be a serious gamble, for sure. It'd be an interesting decision to watch play out.

3 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

The Ravens - much like the Jets - have seen struggles mostly on offense. Even with Joe Flacco and a solid run game the Ravens seem to always struggle offensively. Harbaugh won a SB with the best defense in the league with leaders like Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs. The Jets have no such leaders, so I would say nay to Harbaugh.

I think Harbaugh is a very solid coach but not the right guy for the Jets. His offenses have sucked for years and the most important thing with the next coach is hiring a guy that will bring Darnold along and I don't think Harbaugh is that guy. I have never even heard of this Taylor guy but I want to take a chance of finding the next McVay and maybe this guy is it.

32 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

As in Mike Shanahan?

LOL. Noooooo thank you.

Yeah, Mike Shanahan.

The guy who has won 2 Super Bowls, has plenty of experience both coaching and in dealing with personnel, has mentored the likes of Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Matt LaFleur, etc.

Has a history of putting together great offensive coaching staffs, changed up his entire offense to suit a gimmicky QB like RGIII who went on to have the most efficient season a rookie QB has ever had, and at the same time, drafted a legit franchise QB like Kirk Cousins in the 4th round...

I’ll take Shanny any day of the week.

5 hours ago, Copernicus said:

By Zack Rosenblatt

zrosenblatt@njadvancemedia.com

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets might be making a coaching change this offseason, and there's a chance they dip into the Eagles coaching staff for help.

Not for the obvious name, either.

Defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz has been bandied about as a candidate for head coaching jobs, but it's Eagles quarterbacks coach Press Taylor who might be a match with the Jets.

Though, it would more likely be as an offensive coordinator than head coach.

NFL insider Benjamin Albright suggested the Taylor brothers a Rams quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor and Eagles' Press Taylor a as a tandem to keep an eye on for the Jets' head coach/offensive coordinator jobs.

Jets fans writing new HC/OC articles.

Zac and Press Taylor.

Remember the names.

Both Taylors have ascended quickly through the coaching ranks and would likely be the youngest HC/OC combination if that idea came to fruition.

Zac Taylor, 35, is the Rams' quarterbacks coach and viewed as a rising star in the coaching ranks. He was the Dolphins interim offensive coordinator in 2015 at just 32 years old, and after a couple seasons in the college ranks was hired onto Sean McVay's staff in 2017 as an assistant receivers coach. He was promoted to quarterbacks coach this season and has helped Jared Goff to a career year.

The 30-year-old has already garnered the respect of Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, who has often praised Taylor's football acumen and the like-mindedness he shares with Wentz and Nick Foles. 

The combination of both Taylors could prove to be a boon for the development of young Jets quarterback Sam Darnold

Of course, the Eagles would have to grant the Jets permission to speak with Press Taylor in the first place. 

In January 2017, the Eagles denied the Jets permission to speak with then-quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo about their vacant offensive coordinator job. DeFilippo played a vital role in developing Wentz and Foles in the Eagles' 2017 Super Bowl run before finally leaving to become the Minnesota Vikings' offensive coordinator in 2018. 

I'm leery of guys coming from under great HCs.  How many of Bill Belichick's coordinators got Head Coaching jobs and fizzled out after just a couple years?  Mangini, Charlie Weiss, Romeo Crennel, etc.  Here's the secret....it was Belichick all along.

Sean McVay runs the show for the LA Rams.  Hiring his QB coach would be great....if Sean McVay came with him.

I want offense but I don't want this idea that the newest, freshest guys who have junior positions on the staffs of great offensive teams are somehow geniuses who can be elite Head Coaches.

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

Goff was bad as a rookie. Then he got better. Trubisky was bad as a rookie. Then he got better. Wentz got a ton better in his second year, and obviously this is Mahomes's second also. Dak Prescott had a good rookie season. It was a flash in the pan. There's a reason for this. It's going to continue. You don't get 'pro-ready' quarterbacks anymore. You're going to see fewer and fewer three- and four-year starters in the draft now. Like this stuff about how the guy from Oregon is gonna go back to school? The **** he is. The guy the Steelers just drafted. If he was any good he would have come out last year. There are some exceptions, but you're not really going to get guys who check the Parcells and Lewin boxes. Because CTE is a thing and playing football for free is bullsh*t. That's just how it goes. So for the most part the league is getting guys who need another year of being taught how to play quarterback. Darnold will probably be better next year. It won't have a lot to do with who the coach is.

A name I like, Eric Bieniemy. 

He was a collegiate All-American (Heisman finalist), and former NFLer who played for three different teams over an 8 year professional career.  So he can relate to players. 

He was a running back coach for MIN during the Adrian Peterson hay-days, and KC during Jamal Charles reign.  So he might help lure that highly prized free agent running back. 

Currently, OC of the Chiefs, he’s in line to become the next Andy Reid disciple to make the OC-to-HC transition (like Pederson who just won a SB, and Matt Nagy, who’s doing alright with a second year, Mitch Trubisky).

Get this guy and the Taylor twins; sign a DC with HC experience, for support. Call it a day. 

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Yeah, Mike Shanahan.

The guy who has won 2 Super Bowls, has plenty of experience both coaching and in dealing with personnel, has mentored the likes of Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Matt LaFleur, etc.

Has a history of putting together great offensive coaching staffs, changed up his entire offense to suit a gimmicky QB like RGIII who went on to have the most efficient season a rookie QB has ever had, and at the same time, drafted a legit franchise QB like Kirk Cousins in the 4th round...

I’ll take Shanny any day of the week.

I'll take him as an advisor or GM assistant. But not a head coach. The man is almost 70!

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm leery of guys coming from under great HCs.  How many of Bill Belichick's coordinators got Head Coaching jobs and fizzled out after just a couple years?  Mangini, Charlie Weiss, Romeo Crennel, etc.  Here's the secret....it was Belichick all along.

Sean McVay runs the show for the LA Rams.  Hiring his QB coach would be great....if Sean McVay came with him.

I want offense but I don't want this idea that the newest, freshest guys who have junior positions on the staffs of great offensive teams are somehow geniuses who can be elite Head Coaches.

Exactly

The Jets absolutely can not f*ck this up.

Even guys like DeFilippo and LaFleur both have less than two total years of experience calling plays, nevermind these Taylor kids. 

If the Jets screw up Darnold then they’re looking at another decade of futility.

For every Sean McVay there are 20 of these young guys who aren’t up to the task and completely flame out within 2-3 years.

This is the first time I can remember that I’m all about going the retread route. Even if we hire a guy like Mike Shanahan and don’t win a Super Bowl during his tenure, at least he’ll have most likely developed Darnold into a Top 10 QB within 2 years of taking over.

8 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

I'll take him as an advisor or GM assistant. But not a head coach. The man is almost 70!

He’s 66

Belichick is 66. Pete Carroll and Nick Saban are 67. Andy Reid is in his early 60’s.

Who cares?

If Shanahan is willing to commit for 4-5 years, then I don’t see the issue. And he probably leaves someone like Matt LaFleur or one of his other star pupils as his successor. All the while Darnold is tossing for 4300 yards and 35 TD’s a year thanks to a HOF caliber, offensive minded coaches tutelage.

DId you see him in his last iteration with the Skins? The fanbase basically rode him out of town on a rail. Just lok at his 2013 in Washington. Arguing with the GM and owner through the press and undermining his players through the media. In New York?!? No thank you. He's a good guy to have around a developing QB, for sure...but he's not a guy I want starting a rebuild with the rookie QB in place. 

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

I honestly do not know much about these two, but i prefer a young minded offensive coach. I think the old minded geniuses such as Gruden, Cowher, Dungy are not simply not the answer in this modern day. 

100% agree. I think that this would be an interesting combo. I kinda of like it. I DO NOT want any retread. No Schwatz, or any of the Harbaughs. We need to look at dynamic, young offensive minds that will push the envelope a little and can develop a QB

1 hour ago, RVAJet815 said:

DId you see him in his last iteration with the Skins? The fanbase basically rode him out of town on a rail. Just lok at his 2013 in Washington. Arguing with the GM and owner through the press and undermining his players through the media. In New York?!? No thank you. He's a good guy to have around a developing QB, for sure...but he's not a guy I want starting a rebuild with the rookie QB in place. 

He got into a pissing match with Snyder over the QB situation.

Shanahan wanted Cousins to start, Snyder wanted to ram RGIII down everyones throats.

The former is a legit Top 10 QB who just received the first fully guaranteed contract in NFL history. The latter was a gimmicky flash in the pan who is now the 3rd string QB in Baltimore after being out of the league for 2 years.

Obviously Shanahan was in the right and got a raw deal in Washington.

2 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

A name I like, Eric Bieniemy. 

He was a collegiate All-American (Heisman finalist), and former NFLer who played for three different teams over an 8 year professional career.  So he can relate to players. 

He was a running back coach for MIN during the Adrian Peterson hay-days, and KC during Jamal Charles reign.  So he might help lure that highly prized free agent running back. 

Currently, OC of the Chiefs, he’s in line to become the next Andy Reid disciple to make the OC-to-HC transition (like Pederson who just won a SB, and Matt Nagy, who’s doing alright with a second year, Mitch Trubisky).

Get this guy and the Taylor twins; sign a DC with HC experience, for support. Call it a day. 

Starting to like Bieniemy as well....he’s doing a great job with Mahomes in KC....and Andy Reid’s tree is pretty successful. My question all along with him is if he’s really ready to take the big seat after being a coordinator for 1 season?

5 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’d like the Taylor pair for HC & OC. If they want an aggressive and seasoned DC, I hope they look Rex’s way. 

Rex knows he’s done as a HC, or at the very least never getting the HC job here again. But don’t think Rex wasn’t going off against Bowles and Mac the other day on espn for no reason. I bet he would take the DC job here if they wanted him to.

You know, I wouldn't mind this that much...but it's never going to happen. 

Archived