FIRE MACCAGNAN!!!!!!!

23 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I didn’t think Idzik would get canned along with Rex...but Woody Suprised everyone and he cleaned house.....

Minus lucking into Darnold....we are no better then we were when Idzik was fired. Hopefully Woody has one more suprise left in him 

Probably because half measures are messy. Things get complicated with different amounts of slack between GM and coach. 

• Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

This sums it up and just realized he is highest paid player on the team with no out:

Absent Johnson Keeps Proving Jets Made a Mistake Signing Him

By MICHAEL COHENWed Dec 26 2018
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Bad Boy, Bad Boy, What ya gonna do when Bowles Benches You? Trumaine Johnson was benched by Todd Bowles for a disciplinary issue on the final Wednesday practice of the season. (Photo: USA TODAY Sports

Tumaine Johnson's horrid season in Jets' Green and White only got worse, Wednesday when he was a no-show for practice because of an 'in-house' disciplinary issue. 

Both Head Coach Todd Bowles and Johnson were non-committal about the benching of the $72.5 million cornerback. Bowles wouldn’t say whether it was related to discipline, but did say Johnson’s absence from practice wasn’t excused.

He also refused to address whether Johnson will play in the Jets season finale at New England.

When reporters approached Johnson, they got a whole lot of nothing. “Me and the head man talked about it. That’s between us,” Johnson would say. Johnson does expect to practice on Thursday, and expects to play Sunday. Stay tuned. 

So here we go again with another sign of drama from the Jets cornerback, who just can’t seem to avoid embarrassing moments both on and off the field.

Throughout the year, Johnson has become the symbol of everything that is wrong wit the 2018 New York Jets. In week 10 against Buffalo he got torched twice on bombs by Bills back-up quarterback Matt Barkley, who, at the time, was just signed off the street by the Bills. The Jets lost that game 41-10.

In Week 13 at Tennessee, Johnson became the goat of the game when he was flagged for a critical facemask in the fourth quarter that gave the Titans a new set of downs en route to the game-winning touchdown.

Last week, Johnson was called for a 33-yard pass interference penalty in overtime. The Packers won that game 44-38. Afterwards, Johnson bolted from reporters, the most athletic move he has made all season.

Ironically earlier in the year when asked by Daily News reporter Manish Mehta whether he had any regrets about his first season in New York, Johnson said he did not.

“Not at all,” Johnson said. “Not at all, to be honest with you. (When) I came in here, my whole main focus was to flip this organization around and start winning games. Our goal was to go to the playoffs. Like I said, I’ve always been about winning where I’m at. But as far as pressure … no. I love the game. And I like going out there and competing no matter what’s going on."

The Jets have won nothing since Johnson has been here. If there is an argument to be made to not retain General Manager Mike Maccagnan after Sunday’s game, his singing of Trumaine Johnson to albatross contract is a great example.

Johnson will make $19 million in base salary over the next two seasons, and New York doesn’t have an out in the contract until 2021 when Johnson would have pocketed $45 million. Cutting him would cost $12 million against the cap in 2019, and $15 million in 2020.

Maccagnan thought he was the smartest man in the room when he signed Johnson away from the Los Angeles Rams. However the Rams were more than willing to part with Johnson and sign veteran Marcus Peters as his replacement.

This is not to say the Rams struck it rich with Peters, who has been a major disappointment in his own right, highlighted by a bizarre episode where he charged a fan in the stands. But the facts are the Jets overpaid for mediocrity.

Johnson’s poor play and bad attitude is what is wrong with this Jets squad. There have been times this year where it felt the Jets were not putting forth a strong effort on the field on a weekly basis. Not only do these problems reflect poorly on Bowles, but they reflect poorly on a player like Johnson, who is the highest paid player on the team.

Whoever the next head coach will be in New York, Johnson will be on notice. Either that coach will demand effort and focus, or Johnson will never get a chance to wear those “new” Jets' jerseys coming out in 2019.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

This sums it up and just realized he is highest paid player on the team with no out:

Johnson will make $19 million in base salary over the next two seasons, and New York doesn’t have an out in the contract until 2021 when Johnson would have pocketed $45 million. Cutting him would cost $12 million against the cap in 2019, and $15 million in 2020.

Cut his azz. The cap hit would be a bargain. 

• Upvote 1

I saw an article from Peter King the other day that potential coaches and agents are concerned about coming to the Jets because of their power structure.  I saw another article by Manish that this is a desirable job.  

I believe Peter King more and this job will be tough to find a new coach when you have a lousy lame duck GM.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Bump! Can’t believe the season is almost over. Shame. 

You really upset this season is ending? I'm not. Watching the Jets this season has been very much like watching them the past two years, except the Jets actually won one less game this year instead of our usual Mac 5-11 special. Yes we have some hope with Sam Darnold, but there are no guarantees he'll be anything more than another Carson Palmer. He's still got a lot of room to grow. I just hope it's not Mac building the team around Darnold. I want a GM with some BACKBONE who picks the player(s) he wants and doesn't play the blame game when things don't work out.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

You really upset this season is ending? I'm not. Watching the Jets this season has been very much like watching them the past two years, except the Jets actually won one less game this year instead of our usual Mac 5-11 special. Yes we have some hope with Sam Darnold, but there are no guarantees he'll be anything more than another Carson Palmer. He's still got a lot of room to grow. I just hope it's not Mac building the team around Darnold. I want a GM with some BACKBONE who picks the player(s) he wants and doesn't play the blame game when things don't work out.

Only because I enjoy Sam and he’s playing his best ball right now. It’s a shame that we had another sh*tty year but there is some silver lining at least. Hopefully we nail the offseason and reshape this team. 

What came first, the chicken or the egg? Does it matter?  The ONLY reasons for keeping the GM are the fact that this is probably the worst coached team in football,  Sam Darnold, and, although it pains me to say it, continuity.  When you hire two eggs, like the Johnsons' did it's even hard to argue who's to blame.  But  I know this.  The talent is mediocre, at best, but any coach would be able to do better with these players. That is MacCagnans' defense as weak as it is. Bowles has no defense, both literally and figuratively.  That is why MacCagnan stays.

• Upvote 1

What came first, the chicken or the egg? Does it matter?  The ONLY reasons for keeping the GM are the fact that this is probably the worst coached team in football,  Sam Darnold, and, although it pains me to say it, continuity.  When you hire two eggs, like the Johnsons' did it's even hard to argue who's to blame.  But  I know this.  The talent is mediocre, at best, but any coach would be able to do better with these players. That is MacCagnans' defense as weak as it is. Bowles has no defense, both literally and figuratively.  That is why MacCagnan stays.

Bad continuity does nothing good.

Allowing Macc another draft and the handling of $116M in cap space will set us back at least another 2-3 seasons.

So, does this thread get locked tomorrow when Macc gets the likely vote of confidence after Bowles is sent packing.  Or do we keep it going so we can bitch and moan and generally piss off half this site with each bad free agent signing and inexplicable draft pick. 

Although if he is back, I sure hope he gets it right and we all come back to this thread and eat crow next season.

4 hours ago, Lith said:

So, does this thread get locked tomorrow when Macc gets the likely vote of confidence after Bowles is sent packing.  Or do we keep it going so we can bitch and moan and generally piss off half this site with each bad free agent signing and inexplicable draft pick. 

Well, it's not locked yet.

Fire this pathetic, bumbling, over-caffeinated fool pretending to be a GM.

He's just as much a culprit if not more on why the Jets suck at the present moment.  

Keeping Maccagnan  here is a huge mistake.  If you think that all of a sudden Mac will learn how to draft, evaluate talent, negotiate contracts to the advantage of the team once in a while, then you are a very wishful person.  Click heels three times and say you believe.  

I hope to God not, but this could go down as the biggest folly since Woody bought the team from the Leon Hess trust. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2