FIRE MACCAGNAN!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

I got it, You’re our captain for a reason. Let them haters hate yo. No Viva La Maccagnan! No bueno. F that guy he suckz

Thanks haha. I don’t mind differing opinions or anything like that and try to explain my stance to challenge the opposing view on issues that seem COMPLETELY obvious like this one.

That poster just missed the point completely about making a thread that was VISIBLE. I mean, if you can’t read something simple before you post, you probably shouldn’t start sh*t with someone.

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Remember when Burris was a “gem” and a Maccagnan draft “steal”? Good times.

Burris puck has now been replaced by the other late round gem . What’s his name? ??‍♂️ The one who hasn’t played a snap. Not Derrick Jones the other one. Must be a zirconia. 

• Haha 2

Mehta's Jets Mailbag

We know that Bowles is on the hot seat but why isn't Maccagnan? It's not all on Bowles. This team has a clear lack of talent. Plus, Maccagnan didn't do much the last time we had a ton of cap space when Idzik was fired. His draft track record hasn't been great either in the later rounds. - @Xavier_NYC

It’s a legitimate point. Maccagnan hasn’t exactly distinguished himself as a talent compiler in his first four seasons on the job, but the organization isn’t going to blow it up all up and start over in 2019. Bowles is hardly the only culprit, but Woody and Christopher Johnson aren’t handing out pink slips to everyone. There’s a feeling on One Jets Drive that Maccagnan has done a good job navigating through some less-than-ideal circumstances given the current internal structure.

I can't wait to read about the "feeling on One Jets Drive" when the Jets finish the season at 4-12 or 3-13. If they keep Maccagnan after that record I'll be utterly disappointed in this franchise. I will then have to detach myself from the New York Jets until major changes are made.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Mehta's Jets Mailbag

We know that Bowles is on the hot seat but why isn't Maccagnan? It's not all on Bowles. This team has a clear lack of talent. Plus, Maccagnan didn't do much the last time we had a ton of cap space when Idzik was fired. His draft track record hasn't been great either in the later rounds. - @Xavier_NYC

It’s a legitimate point. Maccagnan hasn’t exactly distinguished himself as a talent compiler in his first four seasons on the job, but the organization isn’t going to blow it up all up and start over in 2019. Bowles is hardly the only culprit, but Woody and Christopher Johnson aren’t handing out pink slips to everyone. There’s a feeling on One Jets Drive that Maccagnan has done a good job navigating through some less-than-ideal circumstances given the current internal structure.

I can't wait to read about the "feeling on One Jets Drive" when the Jets finish the season at 4-12 or 3-13. If they keep Maccagnan after that record I'll be utterly disappointed in this franchise. I will then have to detach myself from the New York Jets until major changes are made.

This is very possibly the feeling because our ownership is PATHETIC. It’s the wrong decision to keep Mac because it’s an inconvenience to have to do their damn jobs and hire someone again. I too will distance myself if this is the case......well I’ll try to but it’s probably impossible. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is very possibly the feeling because our ownership is PATHETIC. It’s the wrong decision to keep Mac because it’s an inconvenience to have to do their damn jobs and hire someone again. I too will distance myself if this is the case......well I’ll try to but it’s probably impossible. 

Woody Johnson needs to step up and make some wholesale changes this off-season. It's not that hard. Just do it.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Woody Johnson needs to step up and make some wholesale changes this off-season. It's not that hard. Just do it.

It is that hard when ownership is scared,lazy and incompetent. Hire a president of football that will transcend GMs and head coaches for years and keep the team/franchise focused and on track. Let them handle EVERYTHING and then he owners can parade around on the sideline with their stupid hats and try to fit in. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

But do you see how this makes no sense? He’s already on an incredibly short leash due to poor performance. Knowing this and the fact that he doesn’t have a good look based on performance, will surely hinder our head coach search and close the door on some of the best candidates instead of giving us every option available to make the best choice.

You are even saying that after another “lousy draft”, you gotta get rid of him. Why would you even keep him around in the first place and RISK all of that happening and putting us in a worse situation next year when we finally fire and blow it up then?

You are either suggesting that:

1.we hire and fire a head coach after 1 year.

2.keep mac for longer which would require an extension BEFORE the head coach search and will scare away candidates because he sucks.

3.Fire Mac after 1 year and keep the head coach which is another Rex/Idzik situation and will scare away the best GM candidates.

Like I’ve said earlier, everyone had a right to their opinion but please explain how any of this is good for us, makes sense and why you would risk all that for Mac who has hurt us more than help and proven NOTHING? 

Right now it looks like he made the bold move and got the right QB.  I'd rather give him an extra year, then go through another total tear down. 

And I wouldn't bring him back to hire a young coordinator for HC.  If he is staying, he gets a year to work w/ the input of Arians or someone on par.  If Mac is fired after next offseason, a young high ceiling QB and an offensive guru who isn't looking for total control, will be attractive to a GM candidate.  Only worry is him blowing all the cap space on junk.

Flip side, Fire Mac and how many top candidates for GM are gonna see the Jets job and say, "Guy just showed balls trading up and got them a franchise QB, then they fire him after the coach lost the team, in the middle of a planned rebuild season?"  Who is lining up to interview for that?  Ya want yer GM spot to be on par w/ Buffalo or Cleveland's HC spot? 

2 minutes ago, DirtyJersey said:

Right now it looks like he made the bold move and got the right QB.  I'd rather give him an extra year, then go through another total tear down. 

And I wouldn't bring him back to hire a young coordinator for HC.  If he is staying, he gets a year to work w/ the input of Arians or someone on par.  If Mac is fired after next offseason, a young high ceiling QB and an offensive guru who isn't looking for total control, will be attractive to a GM candidate.  Only worry is him blowing all the cap space on junk.

Flip side, Fire Mac and how many top candidates for GM are gonna see the Jets job and say, "Guy just showed balls trading up and got them a franchise QB, then they fire him after the coach lost the team, in the middle of a planned rebuild season?"  Who is lining up to interview for that?  Ya want yer GM spot to be on par w/ Buffalo or Cleveland's HC spot? 

Plenty will see it as security with how patient we have been with this horrible regime. That’s why now is the time to make the change. We put in our time and had 4 years of this crap. It shows patience and we have some key pieces in place (FQB), cap space and a high draft pick. This is as attractive as we’ll be. If we keep Mac, might as well keep Bowles or at least hire a head of football operations. 

• Thumb Down 1

42 minutes ago, Lith said:

Good news.  We are the best 6th round drafters in the NFL.  Way to go Macc.

How does macc rank 26th? He drafted Williams/Lee/Adams/Darnold. If Jason suggests the rank is based on number of players drafted/signed who are still on the team. 

Do these stats apply to Idzik's draft picks? If so, um, not sure how these numbers help the discussion about Macc.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

How does macc rank 26th? He drafted Williams/Lee/Adams/Darnold. If Jason suggests the rank is based on number of players drafted/signed who are still on the team. 

Do these stats apply to Idzik's draft picks? If so, um, not sure how these numbers help the discussion about Macc.

I’m confused as well. 

• Thumb Down 1

Look at Marvin Lewis.  He is not a good coach.  His coordinators are not great.  But the Bengals are not as awful as the Jets.  Why?  Because they are actually decent at finding talent.   Bad coaches can find a way to win games with talented players.

The team of Mac and Bowles is bad at finding talent and bad at coaching.  They need to go.

Does Mac get to keep some job in the building while getting a new boss?  Maybe.  But you can't do that with coaches.  

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think these numbers go a fair ways back.

Mac played the political game with his draft picks.  He saw how both Idzik and Tannenbaum bombed on first round draft picks, which basically got them promptly fired.  Mac was also lucky enough to pick very high in the first round.

So rather than being strategic and focusing on players at high value positions, Mac took the safe picks.  That is keeping him in play.  

At least in the first round, GMs get worse than Mac.  There are alot of first round busts out there.  

For a GM to keep his job past four years he needs to make good lower round picks and make smart FA signings.  Mac has not done either acceptably.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Plenty will see it as security with how patient we have been with this horrible regime. That’s why now is the time to make the change. We put in our time and had 4 years of this crap. It shows patience and we have some key pieces in place (FQB), cap space and a high draft pick. This is as attractive as we’ll be. If we keep Mac, might as well keep Bowles or at least hire a head of football operations. 

First 2 yrs were trying to patch work a contender.  Mac's real job didn't start until the purge of last offseason.  Brick, Mangold, Harris, Revis, etc, all gone to tear it down, get cap space and draft picks. 

He is what, .500 on #1 picks?  Williams and Lee, serviceable at best, Adams and Darnold lookin like studs.  Adams and Darnold back to back years is the best the Jets have done since Vilma, Brick/Mangold, Revis, over a decade ago.

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I’m not losing hope from 1 Manish Moron article. The firing is back on!!!!!

This thread needs to be pinned.  Or at least remain at the top.  I'm not buying into Manish's article one bit.  I think he wrote that just to get clicks and stir the pot.  I sincerely doubt that Mac, Woody or Chris told him these things and that this is based on his greedy desire to be at the forefront of attention given to Jets beat writers. In other words, Manish is full of sh!t again, just like he is 99.8% of the time.

Of course Mac needs to be fired.  When you are the worst GM in the NFL, no reasonable headcoaching candidate will even consider coming here.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

This thread needs to be pinned.  Or at least remain at the top.  I'm not buying into Manish's article one bit.  I think he wrote that just to get clicks and stir the pot.  I sincerely doubt that Mac, Woody or Chris told him these things and that this is based on his greedy desire to be at the forefront of attention given to Jets beat writers. In other words, Manish is full of sh!t again, just like he is 99.8% of the time.

Of course Mac needs to be fired.  When you are the worst GM in the NFL, no reasonable headcoaching candidate will even consider coming here.

Gotta keep the hope alive. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/17/trumaine-johnson-has-been-an-expensive-disappointment-for-the-jets/

Trumaine Johnson has been an expensive disappointment for the Jets

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 17, 2018, 9:26 AM EST
gettyimages-1066266704-e1542464760297.jp
Getty Images

When the Jets signed cornerback Trumaine Johnson to a five-year, $72 million contract this offseason, the thought was he should come in and immediately improve the Jets’ defense. In a sense, he did, as he intercepted a pass in Week One. But since then, the results have not been pretty.

Johnson has been profoundly disappointing to people inside the organization, according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, who quotes one source as saying, “Thought he’d be better.”

In fact, since that solid performance in Week One, the Jets’ defense has actually played better during the five games Johnson missed when he was injured. Many league observers believe Darryl Roberts, the minimum-salary backup who was starting while Johnson was hurt, has actually played better than Johnson this season. That’s despite the fact that Johnson will pocket $26 million in salary and bonuses in his first year with the Jets, while Roberts makes less than $1 million.

Johnson returned to the lineup on Sunday, moving Roberts to the bench, and the Jets promptly turned in their worst defensive performance of the season.

The 28-year-old Johnson looks like he’s not as good a fit in coach Todd Bowles’ defense as he was with what the Rams were asking him to do. That’s always a risk with a free-agent signing, that a player earns a big contract because he plays well in one situation, but doesn’t play well in the next situation.

Bowles is likely to be fired after this season, which means it’s going to be some other coach trying to get the most out of Johnson next year. Whoever that coach is, they’d better get the most out of Johnson. He’s set to cost $12 million against the Jets’ salary cap in 2019 and $15 million in 2020, and the way his contract is structured makes it virtually impossible for the Jets to move on from him until then. He still has time to get things turned around, but through his first half season with the Jets, he’s looking like an expensive mistake.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I would actually say Mac is worse than Idzik. Idzik and Mac first round picks are eerily similar in strategy.

Idzik takes Milner (a highly regarded draft pick that fell out of the top 5) Richardson (a solid pick) and Prior (a head coach’s guy).

Mac took Williams (the “top guy” in the draft), Lee (a coach’s pick), Adams and Darnold (both guys that fell to us).

Second round picks- Idzik takes Geno (he did not work out but he was the Best QB prospect in the draft and we needed a QB) and Amaro (we needed a TE and he was talked about as borderline first round talent). Both misses but hard to fault the picks on draft day.

Mac- Smith borderline first round talent and we needed speed. Hackenberg a total reach and had bust written all over it from the start. Maye double dipped on Safety not a bad player if healthy but so many other needs.

The later rounds Idzik looked for roster depth at positions of need. The late rounds have a very high fail rate. He hit on Winters, Enewa and Dosier (kind of).

Mac have been Snell and ? He doesn’t even look like he knows the holes in the roster. In the third round this year he goes small school DL when Orlando Brown is there. A once first rounder who would be depth for an old and low talent line.

FA- Idzik was killed for letting Cormartie-Rodgers leave for the giants. It was actually the right move. He also cleared the books for Mac.

Mac- his signings have been poor on the whole. A few low cost signings have worked out however the big contracts have not.

We ran Idzik out in two years and set to give Mac more time with less success?!???

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, kthisguy said:

I would actually say Mac is worse than Idzik. Idzik and Mac first round picks are eerily similar in strategy.

Idzik takes Milner (a highly regarded draft pick that fell out of the top 5) Richardson (a solid pick) and Prior (a head coach’s guy).

Mac took Williams (the “top guy” in the draft), Lee (a coach’s pick), Adams and Darnold (both guys that fell to us).

Second round picks- Idzik takes Geno (he did not work out but he was the Best QB prospect in the draft and we needed a QB) and Amaro (we needed a TE and he was talked about as borderline first round talent). Both misses but hard to fault the picks on draft day.

Mac- Smith borderline first round talent and we needed speed. Hackenberg a total reach and had bust written all over it from the start. Maye double dipped on Safety not a bad player if healthy but so many other needs.

The later rounds Idzik looked for roster depth at positions of need. The late rounds have a very high fail rate. He hit on Winters, Enewa and Dosier (kind of).

Mac have been Snell and ? He doesn’t even look like he knows the holes in the roster. In the third round this year he goes small school DL when Orlando Brown is there. A once first rounder who would be depth for an old and low talent line.

FA- Idzik was killed for letting Cormartie-Rodgers leave for the giants. It was actually the right move. He also cleared the books for Mac.

Mac- his signings have been poor on the whole. A few low cost signings have worked out however the big contracts have not.

We ran Idzik out in two years and set to give Mac more time with less success?!???

What are you smoking???

8 minutes ago, kthisguy said:

Adams and Darnold (both guys that fell to us). 

Adams fell to us at 6. Darnold did not fall to us at 3. Macc moved up so that we were guaranteed one of the four top QB's in the draft. We were able to move up because of another great trade. Richardson for a 2nd and Kearse is one of his few gems. Based on the fact that the Giants were going to take Barkley, the Jets were getting a franchise QB at 3, no matter what. If the Browns took Darnold, we would have had our choice between Mayfied, Rosen, or Allen. Let's not gloss over some of the good things that Macc did. If we are going to tar and feather him for blunders like Hackenberg and the dynamic receiving trio of Devin Smith, ArDarius Stewart, and Chad Hansen, we can praise him for the times when he threw poop against the wall and some of it stuck.

He still has to go, but I will never forget how he landed Darnold. 

1 hour ago, kthisguy said:

I’m starting to feel this way too. He is freaking terrible. Idzik was so bad so quick and another one of these guys that sold Woody on “building through the draft” yet couldn’t draft. Middle of the pack drafting would even be fine.

I have no idea what has been going on the last 6 years with these 2. Anyone here could have done way better. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I am not saying Mac did not do anything right. Just his overall body of work is as poor as Idzik. He did get Darnold. I thought like most he’d be 1 or 2 (thought the Giants would have been all over him). I do find it ironic that he had to use one of Idzik’s guys to get a pick that secured the #3 pick.

Am I glad we drafted him? ABSOLUTELY. I am glad he did not overthink pick and took Darnold. (On draft night was there any part of you that held your breathe because you feared Josh Allen’s name being read at #3 instead of Darnold?)

Even, as a fan base, we knew after two years of Idzik he was over his head and his claim to fame was as a bean counter. He cleared cap space and left draft picks for Mac. He was handed Rex and it was mess like most thought.

Mac’s claim was as a talent evaluator. Granted he was handed Bowles (a terrible HC, too) but look at the last 4 drafts and there is a staggering lack of talent. We should thank him for Darnold and show him the door. Do you have any more faith in his drafting ability over Idzik? I do not. If you look at the last six drafts can you see a marked improvement? Or do they look similarly bad?

Our last two GMs have been terrible and at the end of the day both should not be GMs.

• Upvote 2