Offensive Minded Head Coach

JoJoTownsell1

We have not had an offensive minded head coach since Rich Kotite. Yeah yeah, he was a disaster. 

Herm/Groh/Parcells/Mangini/Rex/Bowles were all defensive minded. 

Now some of you want Harbaugh, a special teams coach to lead this team. What makes any of you think he can develop Darnold? What makes you think he has the tools to do it? Because his name is Harbaugh and it makes us feel comfortable? 

We need to finally wake up to the realities of the modern NFL and bring in an offensive minded coach that will let Darnold blossom into a great QB. 

Recent first time offensive minded Head Coaches with young QBs:

Matt Nagy- Dynamic offense with average young QB

Sean Mcvay- Top 2 offense with QB that looked awful under "stable" old school Coach. 

Doug Pederson- has helped Carson Wentz turn into elite QB 

The head coach does not necessarily need to be an "Offensive" coach. The head coach needs to be able to fill out a staff that can, among other things, develop Darnold. Switching to drafting only offense for the next 4 years with a terrible defense that forces the Jets to pass for 90% of the game isn't going to help Darnold either. 

Long story short, whether the HC has a background in offense, defense or special teams, they need to just be good at their job and bring in people good at their job.

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We have not had an offensive minded head coach since Rich Kotite. Yeah yeah, he was a disaster. 

Herm/Groh/Parcells/Mangini/Rex/Bowles were all defensive minded. 

Now some of you want Harbaugh, a special teams coach to lead this team. What makes any of you think he can develop Darnold? What makes you think he has the tools to do it? Because his name is Harbaugh and it makes us feel comfortable? 

We need to finally wake up to the realities of the modern NFL and bring in an offensive minded coach that will let Darnold blossom into a great QB. 

Recent first time offensive minded Head Coaches with young QBs:

Matt Nagy- Dynamic offense with average young QB

Sean Mcvay- Top 2 offense with QB that looked awful under "stable" old school Coach. 

Doug Pederson- has helped Carson Wentz turn into elite QB 

Why John Harbaugh? Because Joe Flacco is terrible. Flacco lacks just about everything you need to succeed as an NFL QB other than the strong arm. Harbaugh was able to win a superbowl with Flacco and turn him into a passable NFL QB.  I view John Harbaugh like Bill Cowher. Even if you give him absolute $hit at QB, he'll figure out a way to make his team a playoff contender. Give him a QB with some talent, well then we're talking about being a perennial SB contender. 

Recent first time offensive minded Head Coaches with young QBs: Hugh Jackson; Dirk Koetter; Adam Gase; Vance Joseph...  you can't just pick the one's that succeed to make your point.

Other Offensive minded HC's include: John Gruden, Jason Garrett and Pat Shurmer.... It doesn't matter which side of the ball you coached as an assistant, you're either a good HC or you are not.

They just need to be a good head coach. Belichick is a defensive coach, Pete Carroll is a defensive coach, Ron Rivera, etc. etc.

It doesn't matter where your background is - just have the team 10000% motivated on Sundays with a flexible gameplan in place and be ready to play penalty free football. And if they lack in a certain area, bring in the right people to fill those gaps.

I would like to see John Defilippo from Minnesota get a shot here. We wanted to interview him for the OC job but Minnesota refused. He was the Eagles QB coach for their Super Bowl win with Nick Foles at the helm. Deflippo is 40 years old and I believe he would help Sam immensely in his growth. Keep McKown on as a QB coach and find a good DC, either an established one or a younger prospect. They must run a tight ship here as I believe that there is no accountability for the players under this HC. Lets get this ship headed in the right direction so the fans have some reason to go to the games.....

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

The head coach does not necessarily need to be an "Offensive" coach. The head coach needs to be able to fill out a staff that can, among other things, develop Darnold. Switching to drafting only offense for the next 4 years with a terrible defense that forces the Jets to pass for 90% of the game isn't going to help Darnold either. 

Long story short, whether the HC has a background in offense, defense or special teams, they need to just be good at their job and bring in people good at their job.

I do not actually agree with that. A defensive head coach unless he has the brain of Belichick will never have the offensive aggressiveness and QB development skills we need in the next head coach. It's just not really in their DNA for the most part. If we had an established QB than a more balanced head coach like Dan Quinn wouldn't be too bad or a very involved head coach in college like Pete Carroll. But I really think we need to look to the LA Rams, Eagles, and Chicago as models

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

The head coach does not necessarily need to be an "Offensive" coach. The head coach needs to be able to fill out a staff that can, among other things, develop Darnold.

This is absolutely true, but is Harbaugh that guy. 

None of the coordinators he's hired during his years with Baltimore have been able to produce a consistent, aggressive, aerial attack capable of putting up 30pts or more a game.

When's the last time anybody was worried about playing Baltimore's offense?

I'd be all for Harbaugh if he's able to get with the NFL program and hire a young, aggressive OC who is focused on passing and putting points on the board,  I don't think Harbaugh is capable of changing his way of thinking... super tough defensive, competent don't turn it over offense.

1 hour ago, TheGreenGhost said:

This is absolutely true, but is Harbaugh that guy. 

None of the coordinators he's hired during his years with Baltimore have been able to produce a consistent, aggressive, aerial attack capable of putting up 30pts or more a game.

When's the last time anybody was worried about playing Baltimore's offense?

I'd be all for Harbaugh if he's able to get with the NFL program and hire a young, aggressive OC who is focused on passing and putting points on the board,  I don't think Harbaugh is capable of changing his way of thinking... super tough defensive, competent don't turn it over offense.

No , No , No ,No and No.

Archived