10 NFL coaching jobs could open. The Jets are the 6th best opportunity per ESPN

jetstream23

Not sure, there's no way if I'm NFL HC material I take a job in Cleveland or Detroit over New York.  And even if the GB spot opens I'd start to worry about Rodgers' age and health. GB is super risky potential fools gold. I think I'd be contemplating over Seattle vs. Baltimore....Jets would be right there and Denver, Tampa and Arizona would be higher. Draft position would come into play here too. But if I'm the top guy and can pick my spot, no way to Cleveland, Detroit and definitely not Dallas.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't see the Lions job opening up after one year.

I'd be surprised if Pete Carroll left too.

I agree with you regarding the Lions and Seahawks. If Mike McCarthy parts with the Packers I could see him wanting the Browns job over the Jets job every day and twice on Sunday. John Harbaugh will probably choose the Broncos or ESPN over us. No desirable candidates are coming to the Jets with Mike Maccagan still the Jets GM. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

23 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Not sure, there's no way if I'm NFL HC material I take a job in Cleveland or Detroit over New York.  And even if the GB spot opens I'd start to worry about Rodgers' age and health. GB is super risky potential fools gold. I think I'd be contemplating over Seattle vs. Baltimore....Jets would be right there and Denver, Tampa and Arizona would be higher. Draft position would come into play here too. But if I'm the top guy and can pick my spot, no way to Cleveland, Detroit and definitely not Dallas.  

you overestimate us having a QB vs us being a loser franchise. DET is not firing Matt this year, and CLE has a much softer, more tolerant fanbase - where as we have a rabid den of wolverines

One thing I think that might be beneficial for them Jets(especially to an offensive coach) is that the D is largely set and can be competitive.

While the offensive talent is an issue, to an offensive coach, that may not be the negative some think.  The coach could basically view it as a blank canvas and an opportunity to fill the offense with players tailored specifically to his style/scheme.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

One thing I think that might be beneficial for them Jets(especially to an offensive coach) is that the D is largely set and can be competitive.

While the offensive talent is an issue, to an offensive coach, that may not be the negative some think.  The coach could basically view it as a blank canvas and an opportunity to fill the offense with players tailored specifically to his style/scheme.

Very true.  And with only 10 offensive players currently on the roster for next year, the canvas is as blank as you could possibly get.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Herndon can stay.  Enunwa can stay if there is any chance he can actually stay healthy.

The rest of the WR/RB/TE group can all go tbqh.

I'd imagine they should be able to get a decent price for Enunwa exactly for his health concerns, so that could be worth the risk/reward, unless of course he'd rather test the open market.  Anderson you throw a second round tender on and see what happens, but no reason to have him just walk for nothing.  Regardless, even if both were to be kept, there'd be a ton of work still to be done at the position.

Short of a big move at RB (i.e., signing Bell), I wouldn't have a major issue with keeping the RBs, dependent on it coming along with a major overhaul of the OL, as that has to be the far higher priority.  Powell of course will be gone, but the other 3 actually complement each other fairly well given their different skillsets.

27 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Cleveland is likely the top choice IMO. I like Dorsey a lot, Harbough or Arians will likely go there. I have a hard time believing the Jets would rank 6th in HC vacancies. I do think our media and fans make it harder to find players/coaches since we are so impatient. 

You must have single vision - almost all the fans/media are critical of under performing teams.

34 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I agree with you regarding the Lions and Seahawks. If Mike McCarthy parts with the Packers I could see him wanting the Browns job over the Jets job every day and twice on Sunday. John Harbaugh will probably choose the Broncos or ESPN over us. No desirable candidates are coming to the Jets with Mike Maccagan still the Jets GM. 

I don't consider McCarthy a desirable candidate tbh.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't consider McCarthy a desirable candidate tbh.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/McCaMi0.htm

In my opinion he'd be the best head coach candidate available sans Jim Harbaugh leaving Michigan. Look at his resume and then get back to me with the best candidate you can find.

• Thumb Down 1

50 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I dont think our offensive talent is such an issue.  The Bears suddenly have a potent offense in 2018 - yet their RB has 460 yards (below average) and their top 2 WRs are Tarik Cohen and Taylor Gabriel.  

What they have is a good line, a QB who is no longer a wide-eyed rookie and a coach with a brain.

Robby, Enunwa, Herndon, and another WR would be fine as long as Darnold matures (which  he will) and we get a competent offensive mind in at HC

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

you overestimate us having a QB vs us being a loser franchise. DET is not firing Matt this year, and CLE has a much softer, more tolerant fanbase - where as we have a rabid den of wolverines

The objectivity of the fan base would not be in my top 10 credentials, however NY would get another point via my ego as I’d know if I won a super bowl in NY especially w the Jets I’d become a God. So really anything to do with that is another point FOR the Jets. 

No superior Head Coach is going into any of these situations thinking or worried about NOT being successful. It’s driven by money/ownership, ego/cap/player talent and some family/weather/comfort level things

The objectivity of the fan base would not be in my top 10 credentials, however NY would get another point via my ego as I’d know if I won a super bowl in NY especially w the Jets I’d become a God. So really anything to do with that is another point FOR the Jets. 

No superior Head Coach is going into any of these situations thinking or worried about NOT being successful. It’s driven by money/ownership, ego/cap/player talent and some family/weather/comfort level things

Disagree. A guy like Shaw is not leaving his gig for the Jets. He may for GB for example.

It’s not a complicated premise. We all evaluate opportunities. Some of it objective, some of it not. If you think the jersey doesn’t matter, you’re fooling yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Disagree. A guy like Shaw is not leaving his gig for the Jets. He may for GB for example.

It’s not a complicated premise. We all evaluate opportunities. Some of it objective, some of it not. If you think the jersey doesn’t matter, you’re fooling yourself

Yes, agree but Shaw wont be taking the JETS job bc the fans are too mean.

Health of the Organization is def important 

That list makes sense when you consider Rodgers/Wilson/Stafford are already set at QB for each franchise. 

I don't get the Ravens love with Flacco/Lamar Jackson at QB and no offensive weapons. If Harbaugh is such a great coach, like some of you suggest, why would another really good coach want to come in and have to deal with the same talent Harbaugh couldn't win with. Unless Harbaugh isn't so great after all....

That is also why I want no part of Mccarthy. The guy struggles to win with Aaron Rodgers. Had to be forced to play guys like Aaron Jones over scrubs like jamal williams. 

And the Browns being 5 also makes sense since they have Mayfield/Garrett/Chubb/Ward to build around. 

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

In my opinion he'd be the best head coach candidate available sans Jim Harbaugh leaving Michigan. Look at his resume and then get back to me with the best candidate you can find.

His resume basically consists of underwhelming and disappointing with the greatest quarterback talent of all time. The Packers have largely wasted Aaron Rodgers prime on his watch. When Rodgers gets injured they're hopeless. I think he sucks.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

Look I think we should go for the best offensive mind we can get.  If we keep Robby and Quincy with herndon that is a good base. I think with the money and blank slate we can get who we want. Fans are critical and vocal everywhere. NY just gets more attention because of the press there.

27 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

His resume basically consists of underwhelming and disappointing with the greatest quarterback talent of all time. The Packers have largely wasted Aaron Rodgers prime on his watch. When Rodgers gets injured they're hopeless. I think he sucks.

So who's your top candidate to coach the Jets?

By your logic all coaches with great quarterbacks who have 1 or no championships have "underwhelming and disappointing" resumes. Mike Tomlin with Big Ben must be underwhelming and disappointing in your eyes. How about Sean Payton and Drew Brees? Does Payton suck? Andy Reid with 0 championships must be a mammoth scrub in your eyes, because he's had great quarterback play and hasn't won sh*t.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

He's had arguably the best QB in this generation and won once.  The Packers have incredibly underperformed.

i wouldn't want anything to do with McCarthy.

• Upvote 1

Eh, I dunno. This ignores that if you look at the last 10 years of this franchise, it's pretty clear the Jets give a lot more leeway to coaches that go through lag periods than other teams. Woody has a habit of backing his guys for way longer than he should and there is no evidence to suggest that has changed. Jets are a pretty secure franchise to work for, have a blue chip QB to work with, a ton of cap space to fill positions that can be just as easily bought as they can drafted (i.e. OL), and a high draft pick.

3 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

I'd imagine they should be able to get a decent price for Enunwa exactly for his health concerns, so that could be worth the risk/reward, unless of course he'd rather test the open market.  Anderson you throw a second round tender on and see what happens, but no reason to have him just walk for nothing.  Regardless, even if both were to be kept, there'd be a ton of work still to be done at the position.

Short of a big move at RB (i.e., signing Bell), I wouldn't have a major issue with keeping the RBs, dependent on it coming along with a major overhaul of the OL, as that has to be the far higher priority.  Powell of course will be gone, but the other 3 actually complement each other fairly well given their different skillsets.

imo they should try to keep enunwa.  yes the injuries are a concern but he's about the only guy who comes to play every sunday and has the ability to make plays.  anderson?  agree on the tender.  he has talent but he also doesn't seem to have much interest at the moment.  rb's?  even the jets have proven that a top flight rb is always necessary to do well.  they're better off concentrating on getting the oline set straight and also bring in a scary wide receiver.

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He's had arguably the best QB in this generation and won once.  The Packers have incredibly underperformed.

i wouldn't want anything to do with McCarthy.

That's like saying Sean Payton has Drew Brees and only won once so he has incredibly underperformed  What utter nonsense that is.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Good, he's just as conservative as Todd. 

55 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

So who's your top candidate to coach the Jets?

By your logic all coaches with great quarterbacks who have 1 or no championships have "underwhelming and disappointing" resumes. Mike Tomlin with Big Ben must be underwhelming and disappointing in your eyes. How about Sean Payton and Drew Brees? Does Payton suck? Andy Reid with 0 championships must be a mammoth scrub in your eyes, because he's had great quarterback play and hasn't won sh*t.

Well, Andy Reid has had great quarterback play despite not having a great QB. I think he's a top three coach in the NFL. Now that he finally has elite talent at the position is team looks like an absolute juggernaut and could potentially win a Super Bowl this year. I've been a massive Andy Reid supporter on this board. I think he's awesome.

Sean Payton is a very good coach. Made Brees what he is, frankly.

Tomlin is okay. I don't think very highly of him. Pitt was great before he got there and will be good as long as their offensive core is there. I think relative to guys like Reid and Payton he deserves relatively little credit for that teams success. I don't think he's a hindrance (like I do with McCarthy) but I don't think he elevates them.

If we're hiring a retread with a Super Bowl on their resume, give me John Harbaugh. He's a top line CEO whose teams are disciplined. I think he's a top 5 coach... Winning a Super Bowl with Joe Flacco as your QB is impressive, as is only one losing season in 10 years. Granted, Ozzie Newsome is awesome and they typically have great talent. But the man knows what he's doing.

As far as who I'd hire? I'd go for a young guru with a reputation for great communication and innovation. There are a variety of guys out there -- DeFillipo, Taylor, LaFleur, Helfrich, Riley, Campbell etc. If I had my pick of the litter I think I'd go with DeFillipo. Considering we were after him to be our OC more than once in the last few years I think the Jets want him too.

51 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

That's like saying Sean Payton has Drew Brees and only won once so he has incredibly underperformed  What utter nonsense that is.

Except that Drew Brees wasn't "Drew Brees" until he hooked up with Payton.

And frankly I think Rodgers is a significantly better talent than Brees. Brees has incredible production but he's a physically limited player. Payton has schemed around his size and put him in great positions to succeed. Rodgers is one of the most physically gifted throwers of the football I've ever seen. He has a rocket with incredible accuracy and he's a great athlete.

Oh, and Drew Brees hasn't (on multiple occasions) called out his coaches performance and gameplan. Rodgers has... Because he's smart and he knows they can do better.