10 NFL coaching jobs could open. The Jets are the 6th best opportunity per ESPN

jetstream23

30 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

As far as who I'd hire? I'd go for a young guru with a reputation for great communication and innovation. There are a variety of guys out there -- DeFillipo, Taylor, LaFleur, Helfrich, Riley, Campbell etc. If I had my pick of the litter I think I'd go with DeFillipo. Considering we were after him to be our OC more than once in the last few years I think the Jets want him too.

I wouldn't take any of those guys you listed over Mike McCarthy. No offense but LaFleur over McCarthy is  absolutely  ludicrous. What's he shown you as a play caller? It's so obvious you're looking for the next Sean McVay. The only guy on your list above I like is John DeFilippo, and there is obviously a big bust factor with some of these new hires. I'd be a whole lot less nervous hiring Mike McCarthy, Jim Harbaugh, or John Harbaugh. I'll take one of those "retreads" over any of those flavor of the year coordinators and/or college coaches. With all that said, the most important hire the Jets need to make is General Manager, then head coach. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I wouldn't take any of those guys you listed over Mike McCarthy. No offense but LaFleur over McCarthy is  absolutely  ludicrous. What's he shown you as a play caller? It's so obvious you're looking for the next Sean McVay. The only guy on your list above I like is John DeFilippo, and there is obviously a big bust factor with some of these new hires. I'd be a whole lot less nervous hiring Mike McCarthy, Jim Harbaugh, or John Harbaugh. I'll take one of those "retreads" over any of those flavor of the year coordinators and/or college coaches. With all that said, the most important hire the Jets need to make is General Manager, then head coach. 

Well yeah. Obviously. The next Sean McVay is exactly what we should be looking for. It's what everyone in the NFL is going to be looking for. You say it like it's an accusation. Am I supposed to defend myself by claiming I'm not looking for the next innovative offensive genius who saved a rookie QB who looked like crap and turned them into an offensive juggernaut and Super Bowl contender? 

The only way a bottom third franchise like the New York Jets are going to get an innovative offensive genius type coach is to roll the dice on trying to hire one before he's famous. Guys with options don't want to come here.

I agree I wouldn't hire LaFleur right now. He branched off on his own to prove himself with the Titans and it's backfired so far, they've had a disappointing season (although we need to see how they finish... I think they surge and win that division.)

I'd hire Jim Harbaugh in a second but he's not coming here. I'd be happy with John Harbaugh for sure. I think he's a top 5 coach.

Mike McCarthy sucks. Rodgers literally calls him out in press conferences for having poor gameplans. If we pass up some young innovator who is turning heads for the guy who has wasted Rodgers prime I'll lose my mind.

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't consider McCarthy a desirable candidate tbh.

Me neither.  I do think John Harbaugh would be a great hire though.  I'd happily give him a GM/HC type role (usurping Macc) if that's what it took to get him here. 

The more I think about it, the more I'm concerned about our GM situation.  Macc has $90M to spend but I'm not sure how much I trust him to spend it (not that much, tbh).  I'm not anti-Macc but I don't think he's "proven" by any means either.  If he screws up this offseason then maybe it's a 3 year setback.  It's annoying that Cleveland is able to get a guy John Dorsey while we have Macc.  I don't want to sound completely negative on Macc btw.  I don't hate the guy but he really needs to hit a homerun. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

Well yeah. Obviously. The next Sean McVay is exactly what we should be looking for. It's what everyone in the NFL is going to be looking for. You say it like it's an accusation. Am I supposed to defend myself by claiming I'm not looking for the next innovative offensive genius who saved a rookie QB who looked like crap and turned them into an offensive juggernaut and Super Bowl contender? 

The only way a bottom third franchise like the New York Jets are going to get an innovative offensive genius type coach is to roll the dice on trying to hire one before he's famous. Guys with options don't want to come here.

I agree I wouldn't hire LaFleur right now. He branched off on his own to prove himself with the Titans and it's backfired so far, they've had a disappointing season (although we need to see how they finish... I think they surge and win that division.)

I'd hire Jim Harbaugh in a second but he's not coming here. I'd be happy with John Harbaugh for sure. I think he's a top 5 coach.

Mike McCarthy sucks. Rodgers literally calls him out in press conferences for having poor gameplans. If we pass up some young innovator who is turning heads for the guy who has wasted Rodgers prime I'll lose my mind.

Let me guess you were using the Bill Belichick tree to find the next great head coach, until it was painfully obvious that wasn't a good bet, so now your looking for anyone who worked with Sean McVay. It's not that simple. You say you'd be happy with John Harbaugh,  but Mike McCarthy sucks because you think Rodgers believes that...not very logical. I'll just agree to disagree with you regarding Mike McCarthy's head coaching abilities. It's really pointless debating with you when the basis for your argument  is an emotional one - what Aaron Rodgers says after a loss. 

• Thumb Down 1

I don’t see lions and Seahawks changing coaches. Also, I don’t think Baltimore is a better landing spot than the jets. Also, the coaches experience comes into play as a win now team will be better suited for a retread veteran coach. The browns owner is a buffoon (ours are incompetent) and fires personal (although he let hue rock too long) The cowboys is THE JOB as equal to Yankees, cubs, Red Sox. I think we match up with the Browns. It depends which QB an potential HC likes better, which city they like more, of their vision is more in line with one team over the other. The jets need to go offensive coach and better hope they get the right guy to pair with darnold.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

53 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Let me guess you were using the Bill Belichick tree to find the next great head coach, until it was painfully obvious that wasn't a good bet, so now your looking for anyone who worked with Sean McVay. It's not that simple.

LOL shut up the hell up with your condescension. Every good coach of the last twenty years came from the tree of another good coach. I listed like four other guys who have nothing to do with McVay. I'm just listing the type of guy that anyone with a brain can see this team needs -- an offensive minded innovator who can do for us what McVay did for the Rams and Nagy did for the Bears.

53 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

You say you'd be happy with John Harbaugh,  but Mike McCarthy sucks because you think Rodgers believes that...not very logical. I'll just agree to disagree with you regarding Mike McCarthy's head coaching abilities. It's really pointless debating with you when the basis for your argument  is an emotional one - what Aaron Rodgers says after a loss. 

Actually I'm just a careful observer of the NFL who knows what he's talking about.

John Harbaugh's teams are disciplined and prepared. They're accountable. They play hard and smart. He hires good coordinators. He's the ultimate CEO head coach. Has his team in it and winning games every single year. He is pretty much universally viewed as a great coach and if the Ravens fire him he will be able to pick his job.

Mike McCarthy can't manage the clock. He can't manage his timeouts. He hangs onto coordinators for too long. When Rodgers is out the offense goes from elite to completely and totally hopeless. Rodgers (who has never played for another coach) routinely makes it clear he's underwhelmed with McCarthy. Despite having a generational talent at QB he has consistently underperformed and nobody is talking about him as a hot head coaching candidate if he's let go.

But yeah, it's pointless debating with me...

The best job is GB because of Rodgers.   I guess Seattle is #2 because of Russell Wilson.  After that, I think Cleveland edges us out because they have a better GM in place and, like us, they have a good young QB in place but more competent pieces around him.  I think we're probably #4 on the list (and possibly #3 depending on if a HC sees NY as a better opportunity than Cleveland).  Denver is enticing but they need more work (no FQB already in place).

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Impatient? We went to the playoffs 8 years ago, gave Bowles a 2 year extension for two 5-11 seasons & just lost to Matt Barkley 41-10! Impatient? Give me a break! 

Yes, because this conversation has been happening since year 2. I don't disagree that we have a right to be upset now but our city is incredibly knee jerk. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure, there's no way if I'm NFL HC material I take a job in Cleveland or Detroit over New York.  And even if the GB spot opens I'd start to worry about Rodgers' age and health. GB is super risky potential fools gold. I think I'd be contemplating over Seattle vs. Baltimore....Jets would be right there and Denver, Tampa and Arizona would be higher. Draft position would come into play here too. But if I'm the top guy and can pick my spot, no way to Cleveland, Detroit and definitely not Dallas.  
Cleveland is loaded with talent that they have alot of good young players who are about to peak a competent head coach can go there and make that team a true contender from day one with the added bonus that the team can be good for a long time their biggest problem will be cap space down the road. As for the green bay packers being fools gold...as long as Rodgers is there they have a shot to contend...your job is fairly secure as long as you somewhat know what your doing...those two jobs are no brainers over the jets imo.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't consider McCarthy a desirable candidate tbh.

Agreed. But if you're an idiot owner who doesn't know a football from a soccer ball, selling a super bowl winning head coach to your fan base is all you need in order to think it's a good idea.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well, Andy Reid has had great quarterback play despite not having a great QB. I think he's a top three coach in the NFL. Now that he finally has elite talent at the position is team looks like an absolute juggernaut and could potentially win a Super Bowl this year. I've been a massive Andy Reid supporter on this board. I think he's awesome.

Sean Payton is a very good coach. Made Brees what he is, frankly.

Tomlin is okay. I don't think very highly of him. Pitt was great before he got there and will be good as long as their offensive core is there. I think relative to guys like Reid and Payton he deserves relatively little credit for that teams success. I don't think he's a hindrance (like I do with McCarthy) but I don't think he elevates them.

If we're hiring a retread with a Super Bowl on their resume, give me John Harbaugh. He's a top line CEO whose teams are disciplined. I think he's a top 5 coach... Winning a Super Bowl with Joe Flacco as your QB is impressive, as is only one losing season in 10 years. Granted, Ozzie Newsome is awesome and they typically have great talent. But the man knows what he's doing.

As far as who I'd hire? I'd go for a young guru with a reputation for great communication and innovation. There are a variety of guys out there -- DeFillipo, Taylor, LaFleur, Helfrich, Riley, Campbell etc. If I had my pick of the litter I think I'd go with DeFillipo. Considering we were after him to be our OC more than once in the last few years I think the Jets want him too.

Out of all the veteran coaches Andy Reid is the one I like the most.  The fact that he made Mark Sanchez look like a normal NFL QB completing  65% of his passes, for that feat alone he will get my vote.  

• Upvote 2

Out of all the veteran coaches Andy Reid is the one I like the most.  The fact that he made Mark Sanchez look like a normal NFL QB completing  65% of his passes, for that feat alone he will get my vote.  

I think Chip Kelly was the coach you’re thinking of that made Sanchez look decent but I agree with your general sentiment.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

LOL shut up the hell up.

But yeah, it's pointless debating with me...

I'm literally laughing at you now. It blows me away you think Mike McCarthy is a horrible head coach. Maybe you're trying to be a contrarian, but you look foolish, because you're giving all the credit to Rodgers and none to Mike McCarthy. I really don't take you too serious though, not when I see you have Matt Lafleur on your list of candidates. It's pretty obvious why you put him on your list. Meanwhile your practically on your knees begging for John Harbaugh, and I actually like him, which makes this grudge you have for McCarthy look weird.  Both those coaches would tell you they would not have won a Super Bowl without their best players. To be honest,  I wouldn't put John Harbaugh above Mike McCarthy. I would however take his brother Jim Harbaugh over McCarthy. Any three of those guys would be excellent choices to coach the Jets.

It's such a pleasure "debating" with you, UntouchableCrew.  ?

• Thumb Down 1

The Jets job is only going to get the 2nd tier candidates who lose out. The incoming coach is going to be expected to make the playoffs his first year or Mac is going to be on a very hot seat. If they get rid of Mac then for the love of all that is holy they need to get rid of whatever coach they bring in or else they're going to hire another GM who doesn't get to pick a coach which means you're getting the 2nd tier leavings on GM candidates.

10 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The Jets job is only going to get the 2nd tier candidates who lose out. The incoming coach is going to be expected to make the playoffs his first year or Mac is going to be on a very hot seat. If they get rid of Mac then for the love of all that is holy they need to get rid of whatever coach they bring in or else they're going to hire another GM who doesn't get to pick a coach which means you're getting the 2nd tier leavings on GM candidates.

This is why the Jets must sack Mac before the off-season.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'm literally laughing at you now. It blows me away you think Mike McCarthy is a horrible head coach. Maybe you're trying to be a contrarian, but you look foolish, because you're giving all the credit to Rodgers and none to Mike McCarthy. I really don't take you too serious though, not when I see you have Matt Lafleur on your list of candidates. It's pretty obvious why you put him on your list. Meanwhile your practically on your knees begging for John Harbaugh, and I actually like him, which makes this grudge you have for McCarthy look weird.  Both those coaches would tell you they would not have won a Super Bowl without their best players. To be honest,  I wouldn't put John Harbaugh above Mike McCarthy. I would however take his brother Jim Harbaugh over McCarthy. Any three of those guys would be excellent choices to coach the Jets.

It's such a pleasure "debating" with you, UntouchableCrew.  ?

Holy sh*t. 

I've been a lurker on here for a long time and never really felt the need to post/chime in other than reading some thoughts that others have had, but you are so completely and utterly wrong that I had to chime in here. 

You think *MIKE MCCARTHY* is a good coach? You think he's not only just a good coach, but good enough to be condescending to others for not liking him? McCarthy is ******* atrocious, and the team that hires him next is going to regret it big time -- John Fox in Chicago part two, at best. McCarthy has no idea how to use his elite weapons year after year. He won a Super Bowl with one of the all-time greatest QBs in his prime, and even that was nearly 10 years ago. Does one Super Bowl make a great coach? Do you also want to hire Brian Billick?

And the fact that you think attacking a suggestion of Matt Lafleur for head coach is equally hysterical. Yeah, Lafleur, a guy who has worked under proven, innovative offensive minds in Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay, and who was at one point McVay's equal (he was the QBs coach in Washington when McVay was the TEs coach) and is very much cut from the same cloth -- not to mention the fact that he's not even 40 years old yet, and has slowly but surely been turning the Tennessee offense around. Lafleur is an exponentially better option at this point than Mike McCarthy. 

You have no ******* idea what you're talking about, and you should be ashamed of yourself to dare to try to shame others when you yourself very clearly have absolutely no clue. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, paper_boi said:

Holy sh*t. 

I've been a lurker on here for a long  time. 

You have no ******* idea what you're talking about, and you should be ashamed of yourself to dare to try to shame others when you yourself very clearly have absolutely no clue. 

Translation: You hurt my bf's feelings so I logged into my lurker account to flame you. 

Carry on, boi. 

• Thumb Down 3

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Think the desirability to coach here just lessened a bit.

F3F39B41-2574-48BA-B0CA-9070EE360648.jpeg

I really don’t like this guy. To squander Aaron F*cking Rodgers and field an atrocious defense consistently, is insanity. I’d rather take a chance on an unknown than a guy who has the Golden goose and can only turn things to sh*t.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I won't pretend to know which coach would be the best fit for the Jets, but I do know that the organization has to try to reel in a legitimate HC that has prior success as a HC in the league as opposed to the next hot shot coordinator or college coach. A legit coach accomplishes something else beyond his coaching expertise and that is lending legitimacy to an organization that the majority of the league and players think is dysfunctional and not an attractive landing spot.  A legit coach changes that almost immediately IMO.  

23 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I really don’t like this guy. To squander Aaron F*cking Rodgers and field an atrocious defense consistently, is insanity. I’d rather take a chance on an unknown than a guy who has the Golden goose and can only turn things to sh*t.

So you don't put any blame on the Packers front office for that defense they've fielded? It's all McCarthy's fault huh. I bet you Brady doesn't miss that pass on 3rd and 2 last night. Do you blame McCarthy for Ty Montgonery's fumble at the Rams end of the game? Bottom line Matt LaFool hasn't proved sh*t as a play caller in Tennessee, but he's young and had coffee with Sean McVay, so let's take a chance on him instead of a proven winner in Mike McCarthy. Lmao....Did you ever see those Saints teams coached by Jim Haslett? Guess who the OC was? Mike McCarthy.  He made Aaron freaking Brooks look good. You act like the only reason he's a coach is because if Aaron Rodgers. Give me a break!

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

So you don't put any blame on the Packers front office for that defense they've fielded? It's all McCarthy's fault huh. I bet you Brady doesn't miss that pass on 3rd and 2 last night. Do you blame McCarthy for Ty Montgonery's fumble at the Rams end of the game? Bottom line Matt LaFool hasn't proved sh*t as a play caller in Tennessee, but he's young and had coffee with Sean McVay, so let's take a chance on him instead of a proven winner in Mike McCarthy. Lmao....Did you ever see those Saints teams coached by Jim Haslett? Guess who the OC was? Mike McCarthy.  He made Aaron freaking Brooks look good. You act like the only reason he's a coach is because if Aaron Rodgers. Give me a break!

You are putting a lot of words in my mouth or saying things that I did not say at all. My comments about McCarthy were broad as I don’t give 2 sh*ts about the fudge packers. The bottom line is that he has Aaron Rodgers and is squandering that opportunity. He kept Don Capers WAY too long and something isn’t right in Green Bay and I’m sure for a multitude of reasons.

I’m not wasting my time analyzing that sh*tshow when we have a bigger one here to worry about. I don’t like Mike McCarthy and don’t think he is good. Neither do a lot of people or the Packers who will be firing him so I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Y that sh*tshow when we have a bigger one here to worry about. I don’t like Mike McCarthy and don’t think he is good. Neither do a lot of people or the Packers who will be firing him so I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. 

Last thing I will say to you is I look at Mike McCarthy potentially leaving Green Bay as the same situation as when Andy Reid left Philadelphia. They are both great coaches, and sometimes great coaches need to move onto another organization for a fresh start. That's what I see with McCarthy, and I hope he is a consideration for the Jets job next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

Translation: You hurt my bf's feelings so I logged into my lurker account to flame you. 

Carry on, boi. 

You seriously rebutted my post with a lame homophobic joke, and then continued to defend Mike McCarthy by citing his offense on the Jim Haslett Saints. 

You really are living in 2003. 

Carry on, boi. 

You seriously rebutted my post with a lame homophobic joke, and then continued to defend Mike McCarthy by citing his offense on the Jim Haslett Saints. 

Carry on, boi. 

Carry on, boi. 

44 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Last thing I will say to you is I look at Mike McCarthy potentially leaving Green Bay as the same situation as when Andy Reid left Philadelphia. They are both great coaches, and sometimes great coaches need to move onto another organization for a fresh start. That's what I see with McCarthy, and I hope he is a consideration for the Jets job next year.

That is very possible. Sometimes coaches get stale. Look at Baltimore. McCarthy and Harbaugh might be exactly the same in that regard. We will find out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

• 1 month later...